2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 41 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't even know how to respond to this:

Kids need to understand the recruiting game at big name schools. Look at Michigan since he brought it up. They have verbal commitments from 4 OTs in the 2017 class and they are still recruiting OTs and they are favorites to land one or two more 4* OTs. Schools will recruit over you and I would be surprised if Michigan ended up signing 6 OTs in this class.

Reaction Score
The two things Michigan has over UConn is ability to compete for National Championship and Gameday Atmosphere (the history and fanbase is baked into those two).

A 3rd argument is academic pedigree... I know UCONN is pretty good academic school.. Comparable with the best public universities out there, but Michigan would be considered by most to be better. Realistically speaking.

Reaction Score
I don't even know how to respond to this:

I for one think it's an "Elephant in the Room" comment... Probably needed to be publicly said by a P5 level recruit... sends a message to our AD...My opinion. We can build on under the radar kids all we want but somehow some way we need to evolve into more if we have true, realistic aspirations of becoming a P5 level program that the powers that be at the top of the FBS can truly look at UConn football and say, without a doubt, that we belong there.

Right now, we don't.

Reaction Score
I for one think it's an "Elephant in the Room" comment... Probably needed to be publicly said by a P5 level recruit... sends a message to our AD...My opinion. We can build on under the radar kids all we want but somehow some way we need to evolve into more if we have true, realistic aspirations of becoming a P5 level program that the powers that be at the top of the FBS can truly look at UConn football and say, without a doubt, that we belong there.

Right now, we don't.

If you are not in the P5, it's pretty clear what a school needs to do to attract recruits. Win and/or play exciting football in front of an engaged fanbase.

As for losing recruits to the likes of Michigan and Notre Dame, most P5 programs would lose those battles as well. What UConn has to do is win some recruiting battles against the likes of BC, Syracuse, Rutgers... And, UConn can do that if they are winning.

Reaction Score
Sam Crawford ‏@_SamCrawford_ 8m8 minutes ago
Excited to receive an offer from the University of Connecticut #Huskies

Sam Crawford is a 6-0 188lb WR/SS from Rockwall High School in Rockwall Texas. 20 offers including ECU, USF, Tulane, Navy, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico State, Texas State, Fresno State, Nevada, Army, Air Force, BGSU, Northern Ill. and Holy Cross amongst others.

Sam Crawford 2016 Senior Season

Greg Powers@GPowersScout
Congrats to Scout All-Midlands ATH Sam Crawford.
Scout All-Midlands Team (2016-17)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I like the speed. Are we looking at him as a RB or safety?

I watched the tape - given his frame, maybe better as an RB.... but his talents could go either way.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Todderick Hunt (@TodderickHunt)
12/19/16, 4:59 PM
@TodderickHunt Already have Dickens & Van DeMark committed. & I could see Jahsim Floyd, Kessler, Devera and Chukwuneke also signing up.

Here is the video on Floyd. Interesting player, build like Dez Bryant to my eyes. Might not have the cut moves or acceleration to be a WR, but maybe at 6'7'' cut moves are overrated. Either way, I could see the staff taking this kid if we have the space. Seems like a worthy 3rd WR in the redzone and/or receiving TE.

Jahsim Floyd's Highlights

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you are not in the P5, it's pretty clear what a school needs to do to attract recruits. Win and/or play exciting football in front of an engaged fanbase.

As for losing recruits to the likes of Michigan and Notre Dame, most P5 programs would lose those battles as well. What UConn has to do is win some recruiting battles against the likes of BC, Syracuse, Rutgers... And, UConn can do that if they are winning.

Bah...even if you're in a P5, and you play good football, you're still not Michigan. It's simply an unfair criticism. Michigan is the winningest program all time. They are what Kentucky is for basketball. They play in front of over 100k. They have the best fight song. Saying UConn will never do what Michigan does is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Here is the video on Floyd. Interesting player, build like Dez Bryant to my eyes. Might not have the cut moves or acceleration to be a WR, but maybe at 6'7'' cut moves are overrated. Either way, I could see the staff taking this kid if we have the space. Seems like a worthy 3rd WR in the redzone and/or receiving TE.

Jahsim Floyd's Highlights
Remember when Diaco told us Aaron McClain and Frank Battle were going to be nightmares to defend in the red one?

Me too. I've lost all faith in Diaco to do anything other than look into the camera and lie to us.

Prove me wrong Bob.

Reaction Score
Bah...even if you're in a P5, and you play good football, you're still not Michigan. It's simply an unfair criticism. Michigan is the winningest program all time. They are what Kentucky is for basketball. They play in front of over 100k. They have the best fight song. Saying UConn will never do what Michigan does is meaningless.
Agreed. What we need is some high profile recruits from the state to pass on out of state offers and take a chance on the program. Like Chris Smith did. Like Dan Orlovsky did.

I thought Orlovsky would change things with CT kids, but here we are more than a decade later and two additional coaches and here we are.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Remember when Diaco told us Aaron McClain and Frank Battle were going to be nightmares to defend in the red one?

Me too. I've lost all faith in Diaco to do anything other than look into the camera and lie to us.

Prove me wrong Bob.

I'm saving all my Diaco angst for post signing day. For now, I'm going to focus on the recruiting from a positive POV or at least from the POV that excludes the current coaching staff. I could be mistaken, but I feel like we are recruiting more speed this year and fewer prototypes.

Reaction Score
State Championship@Alex_ballhard_ 8 hours ago · Florida
Very Blessed to Receive My 12th Offer From UCONN #Huskies

Alex Wilcox is a 6-0 285 lb DT from University Christian School in Jacksonville, Florida. 247 profile shows him as a Wofford commit in August. Others offers from Ball State, Buffalo, North Texas, Southern Miss, UTEP, Florida A&M, , Presbyterian, Shaw University, Tusculum and Robert Morris.
Senior Season Highlights

Decommitted from Wofford and reopened his recruitment on 12/14. Said to be waiting till NLI Signing Day in February to commit

Alex Wilcox@Alex_ballhard_1 hour ago
Check out my "Silencing My Doubters" highlights!
⚠️Silencing My Doubters ⚠️ (Highlights) - Alex Wilcox highlights

Reaction Score
Dale (@BlueWhiteKid) - FYI if you haven't seen it:

FOOTBALL: Sheehan’s Zach Davis heading to Fordham

Al Carbone ‏@SCCcommissioner 19m 19 minutes ago
Very cool! A little SCC in this week's @SI_Faces - congrats @MTSAthletics #cthsfb star Zach Davis
20.jpg

Reaction Score
Brendan Devera@BrendanDevera 9 mins ago · East Rutherford
Official visit to UConn January 20th

Also named to NJ.com First Team All State Defense
Brendan Devera decommitted from UNH
Sure he did... I just finished updating the lists!!!

Brendan Devera® ‏@BrendanDevera 1h 1 hour ago
I've decided to open up my recruitment and decommit from The University of New Hampshire

Updated above...
Interesting...
Brendan Devera@BrendanDevera13 mins ago · Wayne
20.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads