2016 Recruiting Thread | Page 51 | The Boneyard

2016 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Manco is graduating. It's not that they are upgrading. And again no he didn't have issues. Did you sit there and clock him? Did you really say on our blocked kicks that it took a noticeably long time to get the ball in the P's or Holders hand? No. Because it didn't. He was a very good LS, who never made news like LS's shouldn't. We are giving out a scholly to this kid because our LS always has a scholly and Manco is graduating. There is obviously no one on the roster who doesn't already have a scholly that deserves one.

its not a personal attack on Manco.. I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. No I didn't sit there with a stop watch but it was pretty easy to see how slow our process was from snap-catch-punt or snap-hold-kick. Again it is on ALL people involved in the process when a kick gets blocked but if you can upgrade a position in the process you do so. Believe it or not long snapping isnt just getting the ball back accurately, its also getting it back quickly.

The guy is one of the top rated LS in high school. Note I said "if you can shave a half second to a second off the snap time you do it". I have no idea if Zecchino is better than Manco in this department. I do know from the tweet above the kid is rated a 5* long snapper and Manco joined as a walk on and was a back up until 2014.

Reaction Score
its not a personal attack on Manco.. I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. No I didn't sit there with a stop watch but it was pretty easy to see how slow our process was from snap-catch-punt or snap-hold-kick.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Because I firmly reject the notion that Manco's snaps were any slower than any other LS we have ever had or any we faced this year. Not once did I say wow that looked like a change up) And for that matter I'm not sure I have ever once heard a commentator, coach or analyst ever say anything to the tune of "Yeah the Oakland LS could really use some work on the speed of his LS, it is the reason they have had many blocked kicks this year. or "Tampa released their LS because he had a very slow 7 YARD snap." You are almost equating it to that of a catchers release and throw time down to 2nd. It's not comparable. AT all. The distance is a measly 7 yards in football. The differentiation between snappers is minute and insignificant. The placement is what it is about.

Again it is on ALL people involved (It is not always on everyone involved. Many times you can pinpoint what went wrong with who on a play. Who missed a block. Who didn't get a hold down. What was the trajectory of the kick. Maybe a D player just made a hell of a jump and an athletic play. Players making plays.) in the process when a kick gets blocked but if you can upgrade a position (Again, Manco, is graduating) in the process you do so. Believe it or not long snapping isnt just getting the ball back accurately, its also getting it back quickly. (Again you are overselling this like crazy)

The guy is one of the top rated LS in high school. (So was Mueller our former LS, nobody said anything amazing about him. He's not in the NFL) Note I said "if you can shave a half second to a second off the snap time you do it". I have no idea if Zecchino is better than Manco in this department. (Again, Manco, is graduating so it is inconsequential) I do know from the tweet above the kid is rated a 5* long snapper and Manco joined as a walk on and was a back up until 2014.

Drew

Reaction Score

Agree to disagree but a proper football comparison would be the speed of a receiver getting off the LOS or the time it takes for a QB to complete their throwing motion. I worked at punter for a while in high school with former NFL punter Tony Swainey and he always talked about how crucial the snap time was from the long snapper.

Here's an article from the Lincoln Journal Star interviewing a former Nebraska long snapper:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_382e6362-3310-5016-b34a-8e94e121c44b.html

"Once you figure out what you’re doing wrong and perfect that, then you’re going to perfect your snap and then your speed and accuracy just falls into place."

Again I never said I disliked Manco but his snap times were slow and I doubt he is the athlete that this kid is. We can agree to disagree but snap times on long snaps matter. I know NFL guys are usually in the .5-.6 second range so hopefully we sign this kid coming in and he winds up being that good :)

Reaction Score
Again I never said I disliked Manco but his snap times were slow and I doubt he is the athlete that this kid is.

I was gonna stay out of this fray but now I'm curious how you can make this claim?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree but a proper football comparison would be the speed of a receiver getting off the LOS or the time it takes for a QB to complete their throwing motion. I worked at punter for a while in high school with former NFL punter Tony Swainey and he always talked about how crucial the snap time was from the long snapper.

Here's an article from the Lincoln Journal Star interviewing a former Nebraska long snapper:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_382e6362-3310-5016-b34a-8e94e121c44b.html

"Once you figure out what you’re doing wrong and perfect that, then you’re going to perfect your snap and then your speed and accuracy just falls into place."

Again I never said I disliked Manco but his snap times were slow and I doubt he is the athlete that this kid is. We can agree to disagree but snap times on long snaps matter. I know NFL guys are usually in the .5-.6 second range so hopefully we sign this kid coming in and he winds up being that good :)

It's unfortunate that you went down this path and keep trying to cover your tracks. It's great that we have recruited a top long snapper. But it's because Manco has graduated. His snaps were not slow. HCBD stated on numerous occasions what a great job Manco did throughout the season. OUR KICKING PROBLEMS WERE NOT DUE TO MANCO.

Reaction Score
KSargeantNJ 7:20pm via Twitter Web Client
Prized QB recruit Anthony Russo decommits from Rutgers.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...quarterback_anthony_russo_decommits_from.html

>>The 6-3, 225-pounder from Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.) committed to Rutgers in May, over offers from Buffalo, UConn, Temple and a number of FCS schools<<

>>At the time, he was being brought to Piscataway to run a pro-style offense, which fits his skill-set best. But in the aftermath of former head coach Kyle Flood being fired, new head coach Chris Ash hired Drew Mehringer, who runs more of a spread offensive system.

There has been speculation that Temple could be a destination for Russo. Meanwhile, LSU has also expressed significant interest in him as National Signing Day approaches.<<

Anthony_Russo154:46pm via Twitter for iPhone
Great home visit with @CoachMattRhule

Reported that LSU is visiting Friday.

Reaction Score
TheChopNation4:00pm via Twitter Web Client
#Rutgers has offered '16 Lynnfield (MA) & #UCONN OL commit Cam DeGeorg

For those who need to get threw the next few weeks...
valium.jpg

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
While I have no problem either giving a scholly to a well-deserved long snapped, Dominic Manco had no issues last year. No bad snaps whatsoever. Don't act like you sat there with your stop watched and timed his snaps either. Our blocked kick issues resulted from poor blocking or low trajectory kicks, or backed up punts inside your own endzone. Dude was as consistent as you could possibly be as a LS.

Not just last year but his entire career.

Reaction Score
I hope we don't see Harbaugh knocking on our doorstep taking our recruits again. These next few weeks are going to be a sign of whether or not Diaco can truly recruit throughout the recruiting period to until the very end, considering how small the class is supposed to be this year because of only a few seniors here. Unfortunately I would be surprised to see anyone flip to be here. UConn has to be focused on retaining theis class and working on recruits who are de-commits or have not made up their mind yet. But I'm also hoping he can get a JUCO somewhere on offense, just for quick spark of leadership and talent if anything.

Drew

Reaction Score
I was gonna stay out of this fray but now I'm curious how you can make this claim?

Probably should've worded this better, was more pointing out that the new (maybe, still haven't seen this confirmed yet) commit was a QB and DB in HS and is a good athlete for the position. Definitely not as big as Manco who has inches and pounds on him.

@KennyD im not covering anything, it's just my opinion. I have no hate for Manco I just think this kid could be better. Not sure why that's caused a fire storm.

Reaction Score
Logan Wolf was offered as PWO ladt week

Blessed to have received the opportunity as a preferred walk-on at The University of Connecticut ⚪️ @AllenTrieu https://post original url/AUCok2EudR

Reaction Score
hey huskymedic. Gotta question.. why does it seem we do things bassackwards with our recruiting. Keyon Dixon just posted he's taking his OV next week. Why is it that the majority of our commits ( 80-90% ) take their OV's after they've been committed for months when it seems like the majority of the FBS world ( P5 maybe ) takes their OVs before they commit?

Drew

Reaction Score
hey huskymedic. Gotta question.. why does it seem we do things bassackwards with our recruiting. Keyon Dixon just posted he's taking his OV next week. Why is it that the majority of our commits ( 80-90% ) take their OV's after they've been committed for months when it seems like the majority of the FBS world ( P5 maybe ) takes their OVs before they commit?

Dixon is so close he's probably visited multiple times on his own. You usually save the OVs for further away destinations.

Plus most of these kids commit after camping and things too. They're mostly local so it's safe to assume they've seen the campus and been around the program enough to feel comfortable with their decisions

Reaction Score

Dixon is so close he's probably visited multiple times on his own. You usually save the OVs for further away destinations.
Plus most of these kids commit after camping and things too. They're mostly local so it's safe to assume they've seen the campus and been around the program enough to feel comfortable with their decisions

Your view on things I guess @ktuck911 -- but ^^this^^ more than anything.

Reaction Score
Probably should've worded this better, was more pointing out that the new (maybe, still haven't seen this confirmed yet) commit was a QB and DB in HS and is a good athlete for the position. Definitely not as big as Manco who has inches and pounds on him.

@KennyD im not covering anything, it's just my opinion. I have no hate for Manco I just think this kid could be better. Not sure why that's caused a fire storm.
How can you have said this about Dom? Nothing but a great student athlete who Diaco has praised. Were you sitting there with a stopwatch timing him? Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer