2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament - UConn's Road to Omaha | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament - UConn's Road to Omaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do not follow college baseball closely; but, how did UConn get a 3 seed while Tulane, which has a better record though they split their series with UConn and did not make it to the AAC championship gets a 3 seed. If its SOS, which makes sense, then how is Bryant, who has a very good record; but, did not play too many top tier teams (beat BC, lost to UConn, etc.) get a 2 seed. Overall, this reminds me of when UConn got stuck with South Carolina a few years back. Nevertheless go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I do not follow college baseball closely; but, how did UConn get a 3 seed while Tulane, which has a better record though they split their series with UConn and did not make it to the AAC championship gets a 3 seed. If its SOS, which makes sense, then how is Bryant, who has a very good record; but, did not play too many top tier teams (beat BC, lost to UConn, etc.) get a 2 seed. Overall, this reminds me of when UConn got stuck with South Carolina a few years back. Nevertheless go Huskies!

RPI....2016 Men's College Baseball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Live - WarrenNolan.com

UConn @ 51 vs Tulane @ 26 and ECU @ 36. Bryant is @ 28.

Tulane is a 2 seed and ECU is a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
As I watch the UConn vs UH replay on ESPNU right now, and not knowing much about college baseball, I decided to look at the UConn roster. I counted 18 players from CT on a 35 man team.

First, who knew we had that much home grown talent (not me) and second, how many players actually play/travel, etc. With the majors having a 25 man roster, how many do the college teams actually have playing?

Reaction Score
As I watch the UConn vs UH replay on ESPNU right now, and not knowing much about college baseball, I decided to look at the UConn roster. I counted 18 players from CT on a 35 man team.

First, who knew we had that much home grown talent (not me) and second, how many players actually play/travel, etc. With the majors having a 25 man roster, how many do the college teams actually have playing?

I count 31 of 35 w/ innings played/pitched this year. Outside of Ryan Radue situation - I believe only Hintz, Lambrecht, Malandro haven't played and appear to be red-shirting

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Florida? Ouch. Just saw them play LSU five times in the last 2 weeks. They have an unlimited amount of arm talent. Maybe 5 first round pitchers. Will be tough, but go Huskies!

Reaction Score

I count 31 of 35 w/ innings played/pitched this year. Outside of Ryan Radue situation - I believe only Hintz, Lambrecht, Malandro haven't played and appear to be red-shirting

The NCAA imposes a 35 player roster limit for the season. I believe I have heard Chris Jones on WHUS both during games and in his interview sessions with Coach Penders mention that UConn baseball usually travels with about 27 players to regular season distant weekend road games while school is in session.

Reaction Score
I would absolutely keep Kay for game 2 on Saturday. That would give a full 5 days rest after going on 3 days rest. Sure, he's the best starter, but he's also going in the first round/supplemental round in the draft in a few weeks. Of course you want to win, but not risking a players' health and long-term career in the pros. Keith Law on ESPN is saying that UConn abused Kay by allowing him to go on 3 days rest pitching 102 pitches on Wednesday and then like 90 on Sunday.

Reaction Score
The tricky one is - if you lose to GT, do you use Kay against Bethune Cookman? You could try to trust that Montgomerie can handle that one and save Kay for the GT/UF lossr, but if you get upset, you go home without ever using Kay at all.

Reaction Score
Keith Law on ESPN is saying that UConn abused Kay by allowing him to go on 3 days rest pitching 102 pitches on Wednesday and then like 90 on Sunday.

Keith Law has been on a widespread NCAA/High School/Little League pitch count rant all season long. He's poked @ Penders a few times this year. Each kid is different and everyone associated with baseball has an opinion on both sides of the argument.

Reaction Score
We got swept by ECU and Cal Santa Barbara. The only real good win outside of conference was BC. Before conference play we stunk. Under 500. Remember being ranked around 100.

Reaction Score
Keith Law has been on a widespread NCAA/High School/Little League pitch count rant all season long. He's poked @ Penders a few times this year. Each kid is different and everyone associated with baseball has an opinion on both sides of the argument.

The NCAA is nothing compared to High School and AAU pitching abuse. You'll have 3 day tournaments with your ace starting game one Friday night/Saturday morning and then again on Sunday. Those are the things contributing to arm issues imo, not the higher levels.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is nothing compared to High School and AAU pitching abuse. You'll have 3 day tournaments with your ace starting game one Friday night/Saturday morning and then again on Sunday. Those are the things contributing to arm issues imo, not the higher levels.

That and lack of proper conditioning/strengthening...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The tricky one is - if you lose to GT, do you use Kay against Bethune Cookman? You could try to trust that Montgomerie can handle that one and save Kay for the GT/UF lossr, but if you get upset, you go home without ever using Kay at all.
I was thinking the same thing. The last thing you'd want to do is not give Kay the chance to pitch, but the best shot if we lose game 1 is for Kay to pitch game 3.

Reaction Score
We got swept by ECU and Cal Santa Barbara. The only real good win outside of conference was BC. Before conference play we stunk. Under 500. Remember being ranked around 100.

UConn got one win over ECU, but 1-5 record against ECU is certainly not good. I would count Bryant as a good out of conference win. By the way, Bryant beat BC this season as well. A NEC team with a 28 RPI that ends up with a 2 seed just doesn't happen too often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems a little funny that people whom we never seen out here on the baseball site all season long suddenly appear after we make it to the tournament and make statements that really aren't accurate. We didn't get swept by ECU, yes we did lose 5 of out 6 but not swept. We beat a top 15 Missouri State team. Southern Cal on the road. And honestly we didn't stink before conference play, we actually were very competitive and lost 13 of our 22 games by one run and probably should have won at least 5 or 6 of them. So yes there were some frustrating times, I being one of the biggest critics, but no this team did not stink.

Reaction Score
Seems a little funny that people whom we never seen out here on the baseball site all season long suddenly appear after we make it to the tournament and make statements that really aren't accurate. We didn't get swept by ECU, yes we did lose 5 of out 6 but not swept. We beat a top 15 Missouri State team. Southern Cal on the road. And honestly we didn't stink before conference play, we actually were very competitive and lost 13 of our 22 games by one run and probably should have won at least 5 or 6 of them. So yes there were some frustrating times, I being one of the biggest critics, but no this team did not stink.

In support of this statement, UConn was in the top 100 RPI all year, and usually by a comfortable margin.

Reaction Score

Try coaching Rec baseball, especially if one never played organized baseball. I promise verbally and in writing that I would follow the pitch court rule. Of course, my second game I had it stuck in my head that the per game max was 60 instead of 50 (U9) and my starter threw 55 over 3 innings. I would have really gotten yelled at if it were not for one of the other team's whose coach had his starter (and son) thorough 60 in the same game and 95 for the week when the weekly max is 75. He's a travel coach, too.

Reaction Score
GavinKeefe5:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
Best quote from UConn coach Jim Penders today: "We always pride ourselves on being gritty and determined. When we wear the uniform here,....

GavinKeefe5:33pm via Twitter for iPhone
More Penders: "... that's a prerequisite. You have to be gritty, you have to be determined. It's in our DNA at UConn.

Oh heck, as long as Huskymedic is posting Gavin Keefe tweets, may as well post the link to the article Keefe wrote in The Day:

UConn draws Georgia Tech in NCAA tournament opener

Reaction Score
I was selective ;)

Yes you were indeed selective, nothing wrong with that. But my wife works for The Day, so I figure the paper needs all the publicity they can get. Especially when they actually end up writing an article on UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
Yes you were indeed selective, nothing wrong with that. But my wife works for The Day, so I figure the paper needs all the publicity they can get. Especially when they actually end up writing an article on UConn baseball.

Ah... I contributed. I used all my clicks on the desktop and was too lazy to get ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom