2016 National Team Prediction | The Boneyard

2016 National Team Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a video report up on ESPN about Geno as head coach which includes Kay Fagan talking about the "3 to See" and their prospects. She says she sees EDD being a lock and probably Griner too,but that there are too many strong guards for Diggins to break into the line up. 2016 is long way off. Lots could happen, but she may be right. Certainly Skyler's transition has had its challenges.

Reaction Score
My prediction...take the 2012 team, subtract Asjha and Swin, add EDD and Stewie. Griner won't play for an injury or personal reason.
I got the wrath of the Boneyard, for comments like that.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Locks: Charles, Moore, Stewart
Age/injury questions: Taurasi, Bird
Potential: KML

Could be 3-6 Huskies.
At least three = 99% (1 % for the unexpected)
At least four = 75% (with Taurasi most likely)
At least five = 50%
At least six = 25%
At least seven = 1%

Fortunately the positions of the three with some doubts don't conflict with the positions of the three locks, but I think there's too much that can "go wrong" to get all six.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - agree with the subtractions JSB posted and I think it is quite possible that Catch will be added to that list (age) - and given Sue's injuries the WC next year may be her 'passing the torch' year as well. I think Angel is not a lock either given some behavioral issues in the recent past. And of course injuries are always an issue.
I think EDD and BG are locks (always assuming health and willingness)
And I think USA will look hard for guards/wings - Sue, DT, Augustus, Whallen will probably not be available in 2020 and they like to groom the next generation. I think Sims is a probable for trials, Bria might be invited, Diggins if she develops in Europe and next year but not based on this year. Vandersloot will get another look, Robinson? Wright? Harding? And what about Cappie - is she old news?
The other possibles are:
Nneka and Chiney, Thomas (MD), KML, Stewart (might be too early but she and USABB have a thing going on.)
I do think Stef might get a look depending on how her transition to WNBA goes. Glory Johnson? Brunson? Appel? Braxton? Dupree?
Sure I left out some names.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After my last post ... got to thinking about how fierce the competition for spots really is - every year you add some great college stars to the possible pool that includes college stars from the previous 10+ seasons and you only have 12 openings.
Digger - I only question Stewart because of age and the strength of the post/forwards already into their pro careers. And I think KML is more likely than Stewart because of age and aging wing/guards on the current USA roster.

Reaction Score
My prediction...take the 2012 team, subtract Asjha and Swin, add EDD and Stewie.

I hope there's more turnover than that. For one, they need to get some new guards in the mix.

Reaction Score
Sims is a probable for trials, Bria might be invited, Diggins if she develops in Europe and next year but not based on this year. Vandersloot will get another look, Robinson? Wright? Harding? And what about Cappie - is she old news?
The other possibles are:
Nneka and Chiney, Thomas (MD), KML, Stewart (might be too early but she and USABB have a thing going on.)
I do think Stef might get a look depending on how her transition to WNBA goes. Glory Johnson? Brunson? Appel? Braxton? Dupree?
Sure I left out some names.

I think Cappie, Brunson, Dupree's last chance was 2012.

Glory Johnson does seem in the mix for trials.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Locks in my mind... for 2016

Dee (she said she wants to come back and she's fitter than ever)
Moore
Whalen
Parker
Charles
Fowles
Stewart
Augustus
McCaughtry
EDD

That's 10. Bird and Catchings are question marks - Catch is a year older than Bird. But if they are on the team, that's 12. For the World Championships in 2 years, you can replace Stewie with Griner, And add Bird and Catch since they will probably be on the team for that.

I think the next tier of likelies will come from KML, Simms, Nneka, Thomas.

I also think players like Harding, Brunson, Dupree, Johnson, Chiney, Robinson, Diggins, Pondexter (not sure why she's been left off unless they don't like her attitude), Hartley, Dolson, Montgomery, Braxton, Williams (Riquina), Prince, Tolliver, and Langhorne will be invited as well. Didn't they invite 20-25 players to the tryouts?

Reaction Score
Locks in my mind... for 2016
Good lists but I think Prince is considered Russian and can't be playing for the US.
Dee (she said she wants to come back and she's fitter than ever)
Moore
Whalen
Parker
Charles
Fowles
Stewart
Augustus
McCaughtry
EDD

That's 10. Bird and Catchings are question marks - Catch is a year older than Bird. But if they are on the team, that's 12. For the World Championships in 2 years, you can replace Stewie with Griner, And add Bird and Catch since they will probably be on the team for that.

I think the next tier of likelies will come from KML, Simms, Nneka, Thomas.

I also think players like Harding, Brunson, Dupree, Johnson, Chiney, Robinson, Pondexter (not sure why she's been left off unless they don't like her attitude), Montgomery, Braxton, Williams (Riquina), Prince, Tolliver, and Langhorne will be invited as well. Didn't they invite 20-25 players to the tryouts?

Good lists but I think Prince is considered Russian and can't be playing for the US.

Reaction Score
Getting looks IMO

Guards:
Bird
Whalen
Taurasi
Augustus
Toliver
Robinson
Harding
Vandersloot
Sims
Diggins
Goodrich
Hartley

Forwards:
Moore
Catchings
McCoughtry
KML

Parker
EDD
Charles
Griner
Langhorne
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike
Stewart
Johnson
Dolson
Appel

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm guessing at least for tryouts (bold 2012 team players)

Guards - Bird, DT, Whalen, Vandersloot, Montgomery, Toliver, Harding, Diggins, Sims, Hartley
Forwards - Catchings, Parker, Moore, Augustus, McCoughtry, EDD, Ogwumike, Brunson, Dupree, Young, Stewart, KM, Langhorne
Posts - Fowles, Charles, Griner, Dolson

That's 27 right there. (could easily make 2 teams and a good shot at Gold/Bronze). Although I think Catchings (37) will retire Internationally before and possibly Bird (35).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Was just about to ask the question about Duke players.

I think Gray might get an invite depending on how she performs in the WNBA. The 4 and 5 positions are pretty loaded.... so not sure EW will get a shot. Alexis Jones might be in play for 2020.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Getting looks IMO

Guards:
Bird
Whalen
Taurasi
Augustus
Toliver
Robinson
Harding
Vandersloot
Sims
Diggins
Goodrich
Hartley

Forwards:
Moore
Catchings
McCoughtry
KML

Parker
EDD
Charles
Griner
Langhorne
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike
Stewart
Johnson
Dolson
Appel
A good starting point certainly and I think you are light on forwards though where players fall between guard/forward/post is sometimes hard to determine. Agree with Triad re Gray and think there are some others out there. Not sure about Appel and Langhorne just because I think the competition is so fierce above them and Dolson will not be in the mix for the WC but might get a look for the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Expectations on Hartley seem optimistic IMHO. She showed great promise her freshman year, but has struggled the last 2 I'd say. Yes, she played well down the stretch last year, but I was struck by Geno saying that he had simplified her role to make it easier on her. Seems a lot to expect her to be Olympic ready in 2-3 yrs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Expectations on Hartley seem optimistic IMHO. She showed great promise her freshman year, but has struggled the last 2 I'd say. Yes, she played well down the stretch last year, but I was struck by Geno saying that he had simplified her role to make it easier on her. Seems a lot to expect her to be Olympic ready in 2-3 yrs.
Though they do tend to like the ones who've been in the program through the years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey come on - this is a Uconn fan site! What do you expect!
And she was an AA as a sophomore so not sure what kind of struggles you are thinking about. Last year - yes, serious struggles but a pretty solid excuse with the ankle injury that mess with her throughout the year. She looked pretty good playing for USA basketball this summer.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey come on - this is a Uconn fan site! What do you expect!
And she was an AA as a sophomore so not sure what kind of struggles you are thinking about. Last year - yes, serious struggles but a pretty solid excuse with the ankle injury that mess with her throughout the year. She looked pretty good playing for USA basketball this summer.

Do you think she can be an effective PG in the WNBA... or do you see her as a combo guard ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do you think she can be an effective PG in the WNBA... or do you see her as a combo guard ?
She's never been a pure point. I imagine she'll be a combo in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Prince is considered Russian and she will play for them in 2016 if selected and healthy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with Meyers - probably a combo guard though depending on where she ends up playing I do think she can be an effective PG. Geno generally does not differentiate his guards or at least prefers two 'combo guards' rather than point/off guard. And I was interested with the National team that he was using Maya at times in a role of 'point' for the offense so he does blur roles across the five players on the court depending on their individual strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom