2016 National Team Prediction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 National Team Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hey come on - this is a Uconn fan site! What do you expect!
And she was an AA as a sophomore so not sure what kind of struggles you are thinking about. Last year - yes, serious struggles but a pretty solid excuse with the ankle injury that mess with her throughout the year. She looked pretty good playing for USA basketball this summer.
Her 3 point shooting went down from her freshman season, but otherwise, she was an improved player her sophomore season. She,in no way, struggled.

Reaction Score
Locks: Charles, Moore, Stewart
Age/injury questions: Taurasi, Bird
Potential: KML

Could be 3-6 Huskies.
At least three = 99% (1 % for the unexpected)
At least four = 75% (with Taurasi most likely)
At least five = 50%
At least six = 25%
At least seven = 1%

Fortunately the positions of the three with some doubts don't conflict with the positions of the three locks, but I think there's too much that can "go wrong" to get all six.

From UCONN... Depending on Sue's health.... I could see
Maya, Tina, Diana, Breanna, and Kaleena.... potentially add in Sue.
Add to that EDD, Griner, The O sisters from Stanford.
That would be 10 right there. There would be two openings. I would not rule out Fowles, leaving one spot, probably a guard... point guard.... And while Diggins might not be bad... Who else could take that spot? What about Renee? Whalen? Bria?

What about Angel? Does she join the team? Her behavior in London seemed off... did anyone else feel that way?

Reaction Score
From UCONN... Depending on Sue's health.... I could see
Maya, Tina, Diana, Breanna, and Kaleena.... potentially add in Sue.
Add to that EDD, Griner, The O sisters from Stanford.
That would be 10 right there. There would be two openings. I would not rule out Fowles, leaving one spot, probably a guard... point guard.... And while Diggins might not be bad... Who else could take that spot? What about Renee? Whalen? Bria?

What about Angel? Does she join the team? Her behavior in London seemed off... did anyone else feel that way?

Crap I forgot Parker... so maybe only one of the O sisters from Stanford.

Reaction Score
I think the 2014 World Championship & 2016 Olympic USA team will look like this:

This will be the final "rodeo" for a lot of the veterans! Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus, Catchings,& Fowles will give it a go for 1 more World Championship and 1 more Olympics! Ashja Jones, Swin Cash & Candace Parker from the last Olympics will not try out for this team!

1. PG Sue Bird
2. PG Lindsay Whalen
3. SG/PG Diana Taurasi
4. SG/SF Seimone Augustus
5. SF Tamika Catchings
6. SF Maya Moore
7. SF/PF/SG Elena Delle Donne
8. PF Angel McCoughtry
9. PF Brianna Stewart
10. C Tina Charles
11. C Sylvia Fowles
12. C Brittany Griner

Attitude problems will keep: Pondexter, Harding, Tolliver, & Diggins off the USA teams!

Reaction Score
I think the 2014 World Championship & 2016 Olympic USA team will look like this:

This will be the final "rodeo" for a lot of the veterans! Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus, Catchings,& Fowles will give it a go for 1 more World Championship and 1 more Olympics! Ashja Jones, Swin Cash & Candace Parker from the last Olympics will not try out for this team!

1. PG Sue Bird
2. PG Lindsay Whalen
3. SG/PG Diana Taurasi
4. SG/SF Seimone Augustus
5. SF Tamika Catchings
6. SF Maya Moore
7. SF/PF/SG Elena Delle Donne
8. PF Angel McCoughtry
9. PF Brianna Stewart
10. C Tina Charles
11. C Sylvia Fowles
12. C Brittany Griner

Attitude problems will keep: Pondexter, Harding, Tolliver, & Diggins off the USA teams!
None of the players you listed as having attitude problems have them. If anyone does, it is Angel - or perhaps DT. After all, Diana is the WNBA player with the most technical fouls to her credit. Somehow, I don't think that will keep her off the team (nor should it). One of USA basketball's main issue with Cappie is that she put her commitment to her fashion business ahead of playing USA basketball for one of the world championship runs. I am not aware of any issues between USA basketball and the other players you list as having attitude problems.

As for Parker, she has a spot on the team if she wants it. She is one of the best players in the country, whether people like her or not.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm going to keep saying this until I'm blue in the face. After Cappie's asinine, insensitive, and profoundly un-Olympic comments after the devastating tsunami hit Japan, she can watch the Olympics on TV for all I give a crap. I have no interest in seeing her represent my country. None.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The absence of youth and quickness at guard will necessitate the addition of an Odyssey Sims, Bria or the like.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
From Your list, I say the following make the team for 2016 Olympics.

Guards: DT, Whalen, Sims, Bird
Forwards: Parker, Moore, EDD, N Ogwumike, McCoughtry

Sue may not play due to age, but I suspect DT and Geno will talk her into it. If Sue doesn't play then Diggins will take her roster spot. I've excluded Catchings because of her age. However, I think she'll be on the 2014 World Championship team. Others may make the 2014 World Championship team and not be on the Olympic team. The Olympic team will have some first time players in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.

I'm guessing at least for tryouts (bold 2012 team players)

Guards - Bird, DT, Whalen, Vandersloot, Montgomery, Toliver, Harding, Diggins, Sims, Hartley
Forwards - Catchings, Parker, Moore, Augustus, McCoughtry, EDD, Ogwumike, Brunson, Dupree, Young, Stewart, KM, Langhorne
Posts - Fowles, Charles, Griner, Dolson

That's 27 right there. (could easily make 2 teams and a good shot at Gold/Bronze). Although I think Catchings (37) will retire Internationally before and possibly Bird (35).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think the transition will begin between between the 2014 WC and the 2016 Olympics and we will see a few players dropped from the WC team in favor of younger players being groomed for 2018/2020. The two players most in question based on age/fitness will be Catchings and Bird and the need to find the next PG. Those two would be followed by DT, Whalen, Augustus, Sylvia, Angel, and maybe even Parker - Parker and Angel would be 34 by 2020 and the others older. Now I am not suggesting that any of these players will be dropped in 2016 - they form the core of the veteran leadership as well as being some of the best players in the world, but USA basketball does need to create some space for the younger players so they will all be 'on the table' in the decision making process in 2014, 16 and 18. All of these players have also been playing 12 months a year for 10+ years by the time 2016 arrives and so may be more susceptible to injuries.
On the other end, Breanna and other current college sophomores will be just finished with their senior years in 2016 and might have to wait for the 2018 WC to get their call-up. Breanna may be a special case in the way Griner was viewed in 2012 but we will have to wait and see. (She does have a record with USA basketball of 'playing up' in age group teams.)
On Edit - this is already presuming Swin and Asjha are already gone - I think Swin officially 'retired' not sure about Asjha, but doubt she makes the 2014 WC team pool with injuries anyway.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The wave of the future, versatility, Geno likes it and USA seems to be going that route.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering if the Ogwumike Sisters might consider playing for the Nigerian team because both would play for them. Most likely only Nneka would play for Team USA in 2014 & 2016.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Sue may not play due to age, but I suspect DT and Geno will talk her into it. If Sue doesn't play then Diggins will take her roster spot. I've excluded Catchings because of her age. However, I think she'll be on the 2014 World Championship team. Others may make the 2014 World Championship team and not be on the Olympic team. The Olympic team will have some first time players in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.
Interesting list - and I do not see both Whalen and Bird making the 2016 team unless no one else steps up - they will be 34 and 36 respectively so neither likely to be around for 2020 - add in DT at 34 as well and you are looking at a guard group with only one 2020 Olympian - not something that USA basketball likely wants.
I think there will be some serious competition for guards in camps over the next three years and I am not willing to give Sims (nor Hartley, nor Diggins) the inside track. Some people (including Van Chancellor I believe) gave Montgomery the inside track in her senior year, but her professional development has not warranted that preference. So projecting any of the college players or Diggins off her first pro year is premature. Same could be said for KML who I do believe will get a look as will Hartley and Sims.
Fowles might also be in jeopardy due to age/injury, but it would take someone to really step up and challenge and I am not sure who out there can.
There are four younger guards that were part of the 27 member pool leading up to the Olympics: Harding, Montgomery, Vandersloot, and Wiggins and I would expect at least Harding and Vandersloot to get a serious look based on current pro performance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wondering if the Ogwumike Sisters might consider playing for the Nigerian team because both would play for them. Most likely only Nneka would play for Team USA in 2014 & 2016.
Doubt it - why play for a team that will not be competitive and lose your chance to play for your own country. Both sisters should get serious consideration going forward and Nneka is a likely addition for 2014 or 2016.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I have Bird listed last in my list as I can see her not being on the team. I did say she would be talked into it by DT & Geno and that's why I have her on the team. Otherwise I would have had Diggins as the last guard. I can also see where McCaughtry and Fowles may not make the team, but didn't know who I would put on the team in their place. The last player listed in each category were my most questionable picks.

Interesting list - and I do not see both Whalen and Bird making the 2016 team unless no one else steps up - they will be 34 and 36 respectively so neither likely to be around for 2020 - add in DT at 34 as well and you are looking at a guard group with only one 2020 Olympian - not something that USA basketball likely wants.
I think there will be some serious competition for guards in camps over the next three years and I am not willing to give Sims (nor Hartley, nor Diggins) the inside track. Some people (including Van Chancellor I believe) gave Montgomery the inside track in her senior year, but her professional development has not warranted that preference. So projecting any of the college players or Diggins off her first pro year is premature. Same could be said for KML who I do believe will get a look as will Hartley and Sims.
Fowles might also be in jeopardy due to age/injury, but it would take someone to really step up and challenge and I am not sure who out there can.
There are four younger guards that were part of the 27 member pool leading up to the Olympics: Harding, Montgomery, Vandersloot, and Wiggins and I would expect at least Harding and Vandersloot to get a serious look based on current pro performance.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I read on another board the possibility of Parker not playing anymore by the time the 2016 Olympic Games come send. Her daughter was born in 2009, school will be coming up and if she wants another child it will happen soon.

No way, unless her game takes a big jump, will Diggins make the 12 player team.

Reaction Score
Every team listed so far wins the gold medal. But it does surprise me that KML doesn't come up more often in the lists. If she improves likes she did from her freshman to sophomore years I don't see how she doesn't make the 2016 team. If she were on most other decent college teams she would be scoring 25 points a night.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every team listed so far wins the gold medal. But it does surprise me that KML doesn't come up more often in the lists. If she improves likes she did from her freshman to sophomore years I don't see how she doesn't make the 2016 team. If she were on most other decent college teams she would be scoring 25 points a night.
I have included KML in those getting a look and I am sure she will, but it is hard to project any college player onto a team where she will be competing with players that have years of pro and international experience. Same reason I am cautious about Sims and Hartley - one only need look at the '3 to see' from last year to realize that Diggins transition to the pros has not been particularly noteworthy after some serious national hype and a great college career. Specific to KML she will be competing with Catchings, Moore, Augustus, and Angel (though maybe not Catchings by 2016) from the current team and a number of other players who will have more pro experience for the Olympic team. So I do not think she is a slam dunk inclusion.
And I just realized the timing of the WC next year is in the middle of the fall college semester so I doubt we see any college players being in the discussion for that team.

Reaction Score
2016 is so far away and players who are looking good today to make the team might be distance memories by 2016..Even Geno.........A lot of water over the dam in 3 years.....Injuries aside...........There will be 6 UCONN players on the 2016 team and maybe 7.....

Reaction Score
KML is the NCAA leading 3 point shooter percentage.... she will break records at UCONN for the most three's. She is a sharper shooter than Maya or DT... and yet she is only good enough to get a look and not be on the team? And has anyone noticed her defense? Her rebounding?

I am disappointed at how many of you disregard the all around player she is

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
KML is the NCAA leading 3 point shooter percentage.... she will break records at UCONN for the most three's. She is a sharper shooter than Maya or DT... and yet she is only good enough to get a look and not be on the team? And has anyone noticed her defense? Her rebounding?

Not a single poster in this thread has any "disegard" for her...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I am down with KML being a great player in college and she has developed into a very good all around player. I am also sure that Maya, Augustus, Catch, and Angel were not only GREAT college players, but have also already proved to be GREAT WNBA players and GREAT international and National team players and while Catch may choose not to participate in 2016 I am not counting her out nor do I think KML has done anything yet to displace any of the other 3. I also think there will be looks at Chiney in that role as well as maybe Thomas and a few others. So yes, I say she will get a look, but I am not ready to say that she has a place reserved for her on that Olympic team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There will always been room for great shooters as teammates. KML by herself is a zone buster that no other player has been. She has a history of shooting 3s at near a 50% rate. She has done this not just last year but for two years in high school. Ray Allen has maintained his presence in the NBA largely on that skill. KML will very likely break the all time record for made 3s at UCONN in just 3 seasons. Think about that. She will have made more 3s than any other UCONN players in just 3 seasons.

Add to that the breadth of abilities of she has developed the last two seasons and her steadfast willingness to do whatever is necessary on the court and she certainly must receive consideration in 2016.

There is no other player approaching her reliability on 3s. No other player adds the magnitude of that quality to the rest of their game.

Reaction Score
There will always been room for great shooters as teammates. KML by herself is a zone buster that no other player has been. She has a history of shooting 3s at near a 50% rate. She has done this not just last year but for two years in high school. Ray Allen has maintained his presence in the NBA largely on that skill. KML will very likely break the all time record for made 3s at UCONN in just 3 seasons. Think about that. She will have made more 3s than any other UCONN players in just 3 seasons.

Add to that the breadth of abilities of she has developed the last two seasons and her steadfast willingness to do whatever is necessary on the court and she certainly must receive consideration in 2016.

There is no other player approaching her reliability on 3s. No other player adds the magnitude of that quality to the rest of their game.
Excellent post icebear. I could not agree with you more. Like you said in three seasons and we had players like DT, Maya, and Ann Strother who played pretty much 4 complete seasons. KML will be a player to keep an eye on.

Not to bad mouth anyone, but keep an eye on Angel to. Her attitude and behaviors might not be exactly what we want representing the best of America.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Except maybe Breanna? She just came close to 60% in an international competition if I remember.:cool:
Totally agree with all the KML praise - and I agree with the part I highlighted which is all I am saying.
Just another point - USA basketball wants loyalty from their players and in return they also show loyalty to them - I think one of the hardest decisions this past Olympics was to pass over Kara Lawson after she had been a stalwart of USA basketball teams for years. I think if Catchings wants to be on the Olympic team and is still playing well in 2016 they will have to be blown away by someone else before they would not name her to the team. (Same with Sue, by the way.) And I was very impressed with Kara handling the disappointment of not being included on the team, but then I have been impressed with her since she first came on the scene (even if I hated her uniform back in those days.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom