2015 New Commit - Nolan Ulizio | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2015 New Commit - Nolan Ulizio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you job hunt for 12 months and only have one job offer, you are going to take it regardless. Two months into that job if a CEO of another company comes to you and says, whatever that company is paying you, we'll pay you triple....guarantee you take it any day and twice on Sunday.

Presumably I am an employee at will. I am free to entertain and even pursue offers. Conversely, being an employer at will my employment can be terminated at any time should business dictate. I really don't see the analogy holding up.

Reaction Score
I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating that the process as currently constituted is putting kids in a position where they are often making commitments they don't intend to keep if something better comes along. I think it's a lousy life lesson at a time in their lives when life lessons are very important.

Just to reiterate. If this kid or any other kid says "Coach, I'll commit to you, but if Big Deal U offers I intend to go there." And the coach is willing to hold the schollie knowing that is a potential risk. Then I am fine with it. Everyone is up front.

But, if the conversation is "Johnie, we're holding this schollie for you are you committed to us?" "Yes, coach, I absolutely am." Then I think these kids are being taught a terrible lesson.

Same goes for the schools btw. They commit to a kid, they damn well better take them. To the best of my knowledge that is absolutely the case at UCONN. In the SEC I know it often is not the case. Of course, those programs have the luxury of teaching situational ethics.

Just my feeling on the issue.
But the coaches (especially at a smaller program like UConn) absolutely know this will happen. Honestly, if they don't have contingency plans in place, they didn't do their job. You can say it's unfair to Diaco but how many times do you think he flipped a kid from a smaller school to ND when he was there? If he didn't realize this was going to happen to some of his recruits (not just 'could') then I've got a bridge to sell him. He's not that naive though.

Reaction Score
But the coaches (especially at a smaller program like UConn) absolutely know this will happen. Honestly, if they don't have contingency plans in place, they didn't do their job. You can say it's unfair to Diaco but how many times do you think he flipped a kid from a smaller school to ND when he was there? If he didn't realize this was going to happen to some of his recruits (not just 'could') then I've got a bridge to sell him. He's not that naive though.

I never said anything about it being fair or unfair to Diaco.

My point, very simply, is that the process provides very poor life learning to the young men involved.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Anyone second the motion to close this thread?

move%20on.jpg

Reaction Score

My point, very simply, is that the process provides very poor life learning to the young men involved.
Do you complain about the poor life lessons if UConn flips a commit from a smaller school?

Reaction Score
Do you complain about the poor life lessons if UConn flips a commit from a smaller school?

Look. You are trying to make me hypocritical. I think it's wrong for the kids to go back on their word, wrong for the programs to go back on their word, and wrong for coaches to entice kids to go back on their word.

I don't know how to say it any more clearly, I think the process sucks and kids can learn very poor life lessons.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a rule that once a kid commits he can't be recruited ot offered by another school. This would force kids to be darn sure of their choice before making it. This is another reason I don't get excited when I hear about underclassmen committing to us. I know that there's a good chance if they're worth their salt, they'll end up elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a rule that once a kid commits he can't be recruited ot offered by another school. This would force kids to be darn sure of their choice before making it. This is another reason I don't get excited when I hear about underclassmen committing to us. I know that there's a good chance if they're worth their salt, they'll end up elsewhere.
No

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
For those who care. Ulizio went from a "not rated" commit for us on ESPN to a 78 rating for Michigan. Would have made him our highest rated recruit according to Espn.

Good luck to the kid. Can't blame him. If we only lose one recruit I'll be happy coming off the year we had. Shows the coaches are doing their jobs on the recruiting trail. Looking forward to 2/4.

Yup... recruiting rankings sure mean a whole hell of a lot. :rolleyes:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is another reason to have an early signing period. He would have been a Husky in signing early.

This happens at all schools though and is something that will continue to happen till an early signing day comes in mid December. My worry now is losing Livingstone to USF, that's another recruit

Reaction Score
Just read an article in SI online. It was about the state of Jim Harbaugh's Michigan recruiting. The byline was from Jan 29th, no where was Nolan Ulizio mentioned. The lead in to the story was 3 star DE not named NU. Was he really that good? Hope he has a great career out there. Just to show that HCBD really was a good recruiter.

Reaction Score
Poisonous process that teaches young men nothing about honoring their word, integrity. Hell, it doesn't even teach them how to use a dictionary to learn what the word "commitment" means.

.and yes, I get it, the coaches are just as bad or worse which is why I criticized the process.
it's life... your job hunting, you land a couple interviews. One job you really like over the other, but it's the other that makes an offer first.
you stall, ask for a couple days to think it over. The job you really want is a couple weeks away at least. you also know that job will pay 20%-30% more.

what % will take that first offer and walk away from the 2nd completely pulling themselves out of the running?

Reaction Score
The commitment works both ways as far as I am concerned, but not to all coaches,u Unfortunately. Many times a coach will recruit over a commit and tat commit loses his place. This mostly happens on so called "big time teams".
it is pretty common... someone was telling me about a kid who was recruited to play soccer. got the scholly, attended the school, and then found out he was cut. school still honored the scholarship, but he isn't playing on the team.

Reaction Score
Are you upset with Diaco also? He has offers out to way more kids than he could ever take. Isn't it a bit dishonest to not have a real offer out there? I mean if the best of the bunch committed, he would take them over the 2 stars. Where is the integrity there? It's how it works in the end and unfortunately how the rules are set up. Until that changes, you can't fault either side for trying to be the best.
it's like planning a wedding. you have to plan for a % of no-shows.
worst case is to offer 20 and only have 10 come.

Diaco is playing it smart. Not sure what the commit count is (23 or something like that), but he knows that not all will come. And if they do, he'll figure it out. Already know one isn't. Like it or not, there are probably 1 or 2 more that will fall off. Maybe a few more.

The last 2-3 seasons, what's the ratio of commits to signed. Haven't we had something like 10-15 signs the past couple years? If he has over 20 this year, that's a big bump.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Why are we concerned about this particular part of athletics being a quote-unquote life lesson? If you're a HS coach, teacher, parent etc and want to have an impact, have your kids volunteer in an old folks' home, hospital or homeless shelter. And maybe while you're at it, tell the kids that if they work really hard and eventually make an NFL roster, "commitment" or "word" or "honor" means very little to an NFL team once the player has a chronic injury - they'll get dropped like a hot potato. At least we can expect Ulizio and other players would be around coaches who can provide some of those life lessons no matter if they play for Diaco, Harbaugh or someone else in college.

Reaction Score
I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating that the process as currently constituted is putting kids in a position where they are often making commitments they don't intend to keep if something better comes along. I think it's a lousy life lesson at a time in their lives when life lessons are very important.

Just to reiterate. If this kid or any other kid says "Coach, I'll commit to you, but if Big Deal U offers I intend to go there." And the coach is willing to hold the schollie knowing that is a potential risk. Then I am fine with it. Everyone is up front.

But, if the conversation is "Johnie, we're holding this schollie for you are you committed to us?" "Yes, coach, I absolutely am." Then I think these kids are being taught a terrible lesson.

Same goes for the schools btw. They commit to a kid, they damn well better take them. To the best of my knowledge that is absolutely the case at UCONN. In the SEC I know it often is not the case. Of course, those programs have the luxury of teaching situational ethics.

Just my feeling on the issue.

The other point that's implicit is that school-A has done their homework and basically vetted the young man and made a commitment to him. In the process they are the ones that have wittingly or not brought that young man to the attention of other schools. There should be some recognition by the young man and his parents that the benefit of an early commitment is the confidence that he/she has a scholarship waiting at a school that is a good academic and athletic fit and that really wants him/her as a valuable part of the program. That young athlete has now had the benefit of completing their High School career without the stress and time demands of an extended recruiting process. To treat school-A as a placemat (unless we're talking FCS to FBS move) should leave a bad taste in your mouth unless there were extenuating circumstances. But we know that's a disappointing reality. I'd like to see an earlier signing period with non-tampering language included but not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
it's like planning a wedding. you have to plan for a % of no-shows.
worst case is to offer 20 and only have 10 come.

Diaco is playing it smart. Not sure what the commit count is (23 or something like that), but he knows that not all will come. And if they do, he'll figure it out. Already know one isn't. Like it or not, there are probably 1 or 2 more that will fall off. Maybe a few more.

The last 2-3 seasons, what's the ratio of commits to signed. Haven't we had something like 10-15 signs the past couple years? If he has over 20 this year, that's a big bump.

And hopefully we have a few in the wings we're not publicizing for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Good for Nolan, he's at a great program and UM is winning. However, he's also the 3rd string RT out there with a freshman in front of him. We'll see where he sits in 2 more years I guess.

Unlike Kirk Livingstone who also committed to UConn that year, but flipped is now the starting DE at USF.

Reaction Score
Good for Nolan, he's at a great program and UM is winning. However, he's also the 3rd string RT out there with a freshman in front of him. We'll see where he sits in 2 more years I guess.

Unlike Kirk Livingstone who also committed to UConn that year, but flipped is now the starting DE at USF.

UConn was a placeholder for KL when UAB shut the program down... not even sure KL was "committed" for 30 days before he decided to stay in Florida.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Good work, this is exactly the kind of kid Diaco needs to bring in. We need more Levenberry types.

Reaction Score

Uhm, kind of random no? what prompted this post today? Just woke up from a coma,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom