2015-16 College Hoops Discussion Thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2015-16 College Hoops Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep, they stopped going inside where they were killing Duke the whole game and let them come back and steal it. Dumb.

Reaction Score
I've always said that Marcus Paige was massively overrated. But he at least used to be pretty good.

He was downright horrendous tonight. I've probably watched 12 or so unc games over the last few years and he's been pretty bad in all of them. All he does is throw up step back bricks and wild contested bricks at the hoop.

On a side note. Great coaching by Roy there. Duke has no size, no depth, and was in big foul trouble and Johnson was destroying them down low. So what do they do?? shoot jump shot after jump shot and never dump it down low of course.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Anyone else think UNC's shooter was fouled on that last shot? The defender was in his grill and his arms were not straight up in his cylinder but out in front touching the shooters arms. Not trying to hate Duke just seeing what others think.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think UNC's shooter was fouled on that last shot? The defender was in his grill and his arms were not straight up in his cylinder but out in front touching the shooters arms. Not trying to hate Duke just seeing what others think.

I saw that and thought the same thing. But it wasn't a blatant hack and tough to call at the end of the game.

Plus unc didn't deserve the call the way they played down the stretch. They got what they deserved. Feels awful saying that about a duke opponent. Gross

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Like the foul called against Miller that won the game for Cincinnati.

Also when was the last time 3, 4 and 5 lost in the same day? Or 3 top 5 teams?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What do you consider a bubble team? 8 seed? 9 seed? Right now, they are probably in the 7-8 seed range. 9 at the worst. If that's the bubble, then yes they are on the bubble, but well on the safe side right now. they would have to lose a few more to start to worry.
I don't know if they are. Their advanced metrics suck across the board.

KenPom: 56
Sagarin: 52
BPI: 50

I think those mean more than people give them credit.

In contrast, we're in the mid-20s in all of those.

And again, they have 3 sub-100 losses.

Reaction Score
Yep, they stopped going inside where they were killing Duke the whole game and let them come back and steal it. Dumb.

With 13 minutes to go BJ has 27 points/17 boards. He take one shot in the remaining 13 minutes. Ends with 29/19. UNC board going nuts. Roy wins when he has outstanding talent but he also loses when he has maybe has the most talented team in CBB. He just isn't a very good game coach.

Reaction Score
He's well past his prime but certainly wasn't a fraud in the early 2000s...
Even then he regularly lost games he shouldn't have.

He's a great recruiter and good motivator, but not a particularly great game coach. He's like Calipari in that sense: he can and will have enough talent, and coach them well enough off the court, to win titles, but he isn't going to be able to do what is necessary to shake things up mid-game, if necessary.

I mean...look at some of those Kansas teams that lost, sometimes in the second round.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

He's a great recruiter and good motivator, but not a particularly great game coach. He's like Calipari in that sense: he can and will have enough talent, and coach them well enough off the court, to win titles, but he isn't going to be able to do what is necessary to shake things up mid-game, if necessary.

I mean...look at some of those Kansas teams that lost, sometimes in the second round.
The fact that Roy never won a title with some of those incredible Kansas teams is quite astonishing.

Reaction Score
The fact that Roy has taken 4 years to "unleash" Johnson is also confusing. The guy has been super efficient for the past 3 years and its not like he has been stuck behind studs. I always wondered why the guy wasn't made for of a focal point for the UNC offense.

Reaction Score

In game adjustments are certainly not his strength, but does that make the guy a fraud?

Reaction Score
The fact that Roy has taken 4 years to "unleash" Johnson is also confusing. The guy has been super efficient for the past 3 years and its not like he has been stuck behind studs. I always wondered why the guy wasn't made for of a focal point for the UNC offense.
Ollie has done an even poorer job of using Miller so infrequently this year, so we're throwing stones in glass houses here.

In the last 7 days, UNC and UConn both have showed that when they went up big, they felt comfortable just jacking up 3s instead of doing what got them their lead.

Reaction Score
Ollie has done an even poorer job of using Miller so infrequently this year, so we're throwing stones in glass houses here.

In the last 7 days, UNC and UConn both have showed that when they went up big, they felt comfortable just jacking up 3s instead of doing what got them their lead.

Fully agreed. When posting about Johnson, I was thinking that he is an even more skilled version of Miller. I have been criticizing Ollie for misusing Miller as well.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

I feel the same way criticizing Williams as Self, and Calipari, really. Yeah you could say they should win more, but their teams are constantly near the top of the polls, they make plenty of Final Fours and they have won titles. What more are we looking for? The NCAA tournament is pretty ruthless even to the best teams.

Reaction Score
Cincy and Tulsa headed to OT after Caupain just hit a driving layup with 1 second left. Do we have a preference here on who wins or does it really not matter?

Reaction Score
Cincy and Tulsa headed to OT after Caupain just hit a driving layup with 1 second left. Do we have a preference here on who wins or does it really not matter?
Well I guess if we had to choose I would rather play Cincinnati coming off a win rather than a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom