2014 UConn Coaching Staff Announced | The Boneyard

2014 UConn Coaching Staff Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1.) Dig the staff. Can't wait for the blackout period to be over to get some more headlines and speculation of potential recruiting turnover. Even if we get no one, there'll be fodder to keep us interested. 2.) Foley coaching the O-line. Yes. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Guess everyone knows Mike Foley's mug:

9587547.jpg

Top row: Patterson, Cummings, Poindexter, Lineburg
Bottom row: Wolthausen, Brown, Jones, Reardon

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Excellent staff! Lots of recruiting pros on this staff.

Geez, I remember rooting for Vincent Brown as a player. Heck of a LB! I'm getting old.

Reaction Score
What does it mean when we have a DC and a co-DC as well as a STC and a co-STC? "Co-" usually implies equality (i.e. two co-DCs) whereas it seems in this case that one is actually slightly higher in the food chain than the other.

Reaction Score
I'm struggling with Patterson's mustache. There's a fine line between Tom Selleck/Burt Reynolds awesome and some weird creeper that owns a white minivan with no windows... I'm trying to put him in the Ron Burgundy zone though.

Reaction Score
I'm struggling with Patterson's mustache. There's a fine line between Tom Selleck/Burt Reynolds awesome and some weird creeper that owns a white minivan with no windows... I'm trying to put him in the Ron Burgundy zone though.

Kinda has a Walt Disney thing goin' on.

walt100.jpg

Reaction Score
All the co-coordinator title stuff makes me feel like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

Patterson kind of looks like the principal on Boy Meets World!

Reaction Score
... or maybe it's a salary slotting solution?

Possibly. It's unconventional, whatever the reasons are. Lots of coordinating in that staff breakdown. We should be really coordinated.

Reactions: pj

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Possibly. It's unconventional, whatever the reasons are. Lots of coordinating in that staff breakdown. We should be really coordinated.

Org charts mean nothing. How the Diaco runs the ship means everything.

Reaction Score
All the co-coordinator title stuff makes me feel like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I think this is a whole new paradigm these days.

It's different than the latest comparable staffs we'd look at; but, I think I notice that lots of staffs are going with 4-8 more staff members as Grad Assistants; Director of Operations; Director of Player Development. It's pushed down the Jonathan Wholley's and the recent graduate kids with 1-3 years of experience to that ... OR they just have to start at a mid-level FCS again. A Sacred Heart? That young guy Reardon has had many years at Sacred Heart and Holy Cross before he was a Grad Asst at ND.

Reaction Score

Patterson (Assoc. HC) is a West Point grad. He will be concise and effective in making sure that every coach understands the pecking order and the disaster that follows when the lines of authority are disrupted. I neglected to use "Chain of Command" because it indicates something more rigid than is necessary; or, I hope it does.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Bob needs a presser for this get the guys together ,big pep talk, punch some arms maybe some high 5's,come on!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Patterson (Assoc. HC) is a West Point grad. He will be concise and effective in making sure that every coach understands the pecking order and the disaster that follows when the lines of authority are disrupted. I neglected to use "Chain of Command" because it indicates something more rigid than is necessary; or, I hope it does.

I wonder if Patterson will call the plays in the box and Cummings is on the field?

Reaction Score
Very pleased that Foley will be the OL and Cummings will not be doing double duty as OL/OC. It was just brutal watching GDL try to do both while up in the booth trying to call plays as the O-line got no sideline coaching or guidance during the games. The OC even more than the DC needs to have his eyes on all aspects of the offense and not specific coaching responsibility for one group.

Initial feelings.....Seems like an easier recruiting sell on the defensive side of the ball with Brown and Poindexter being NFL players, Diaco being ND's coordinator and Wolthausen having NFL coaching experience. That should be enough to impress the 17 and 18 year olds.

Offensive recruiting will be different, but there are several guys with experience finding players to fit a system and that is what UConn needs. The Pasqualoni "prototype" recruiting does not work when you aren't beating other teams for the prototype recruits.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cummings looks way too much like Dan Malloy. That bothers me more than the fact he doesn't call plays for CMU.
NOW WE KNOW WHY HE DOESN'T CALL PLAYS!!!

Mike: Okay, uhhh, Power, uhhh, ummm, Power 45, uhhhh....

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!

Ref: Delay of game, still 3rd down!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What does it mean when we have a DC and a co-DC as well as a STC and a co-STC? "Co-" usually implies equality (i.e. two co-DCs) whereas it seems in this case that one is actually slightly higher in the food chain than the other.

Bob had a co-DC in South Bend. Maybe he liked that set-up.

Reaction Score
I think that the simplest explanation that covers the most ground is usually correct, and the multiple coordinator titles are what medic suggested and probably related to some kind of salary structure / compensation language in their respective contracts. I think that the comments by Pudge and Fairtides make a lot of sense as well. There are people on this staff that have lots of experience in how things work, and what happens when they don't in an organization the size of a division 1 football program when it comes to the lines of authority - (I like that terminology)..and there are younger people that also are in touch with how things are working in the real modern contemporary world in 2014 with regards to establishing credibility and experience and "working your way up the ladder".

So, my first impression was what it was, and I admit, I had a moment of pause, that I was just witnessing our rookie head coach first blunder, in hiring too many chefs for the kitchen, but I feel better about it now.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone listed as TE coach yet. Would that fall under WR or OL or did I miss it somewhere ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom