2014 - The Gunslingers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 - The Gunslingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe every postiion is up for grabs, including QB. This staff has never seen any of these kids practice and none of them are familiar w/what the staff wants.

I would like Whitmer to stay, if just for insurance. I don't care if TB red-shirts, as I have never been a fan of sitting a kid you believe is better so he can play 4 years from now. And I would like to see CC perform against someone other than Temple, RU and Memphis. I'm not sure it is fair to compare TB and CC at this point, because 1 played the top teams and the other played the bottom teams. But it was certainly a nice way to end he year and it is nice to see talent and depth at the position, for once.

Reaction Score
I don't care if TB red-shirts, as I have never been a fan of sitting a kid you believe is better so he can play 4 years from now. And I would like to see CC perform against someone other than Temple, RU and Memphis. I'm not sure it is fair to compare TB and CC at this point, because 1 played the top teams and the other played the bottom teams. But it was certainly a nice way to end he year and it is nice to see talent and depth at the position, for once.

Casey threw TD passes in 6 straight games. Probably the first time a UCONN QB did that since Danny O, and some people still aren't convinced. Rutgers unleashed a massive pass rush and Casey ripped them a new one. It's fair to compare and it was no contest.

BTW I have no horse in the race, I'm just a UCONN fan with eyes, a brain and an opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I need more evidence. I believe my body parts are in tact.

He played against the second and third teams of Ville and UCF, came in late against SMU, played ok for 1/2 of Temple and then went on a roll against poor defensive teams (and in the case of Memphis, just a bad team). You don't anoint someone a savior for that body of work. You can't. Diaco won't.

We all hope that he continues to play at the level we saw the last 2 home games. I hope he is all-conference, leads us to bowl wins, and breaks records. After 2 1/2 years of misery, the '13 season ended with many feeling a renewd optimism, me included, and CC was reason #1. But i expect the staff will have a completely open mind as to who starts and plays at EVERY position; with a keen eye on the QB position.

Reaction Score
Casey passed for 464 yards in one game. If that doesn't convince you, you are tough to impress. I'm pretty sure we haven't had a QB who could pass for 464 yards against Ellington High School since Cody Endres and Cody played about as many games as Casey has in a UConn uniform.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ya know, it's not a slight on a guy to say you'd like to see a little more than a few good games against the worse team in the league before handing him the job.

Reaction Score
Ya know, it's not a slight on a guy to say you'd like to see a little more than a few good games against the worse team in the league before handing him the job.

actually implying that he only did well because he played against weak competition is a major slight. It's also bullcrap. Rutgers' defense was just as good as USF's, actually Rutgers mounted a better pass rush.

I fully expect open competition at the position, and that's the way it should be, but the boneheads who want to keep implying that Casey only did well because the competition was weak have no clue, and this idea that it's not fair to compare is also bullcrap, we saw a sizable sample from 3 QB's and one was head and shoulders better than the other two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am more excited about our QB situation now than at any point in the "post-DO" era.

My Opinions of the QBs: in order of seniority

The Veteran Backup
Chandler Whitmer
- Gunslinger, risk-taker, poor pocket awareness. I think he is an eminently capable thrower who was put in a terrible situation for 3 years under PP/GDL. Due to his poor pocket awareness(fatal flaw) and GDLs incompetence, i have never seen a QB take the consistent beating that this kid took. It was really hard to watch. I am chalking 99% of that up to GDL because duck* GDL. I like Chandler as a backup.

The Savvy Technician
Casey Cochran
- Smart, Accurate, Poised. Good overall awareness, but limited somewhat due to his size/mobility. Still, his accuracy is extremely impressive. He's kind of our Drew Brees. Productive, but doesn't seduce you with his skillset. Had a great 6 games, but I do question the competition. Still, can't hate on the productivity. those last 3 games were the most fun I've had at a UConn game from section 229 in a while, and I couldn't care less if you are 6'5 or 5'5 if you can move the ball down the field.

The Franchise
Tim Boyle
- The prototypical college qb. Big, Tall, Mobile, Arm, Mechanics, technique. If he can just get his mental game on the same level as his physical skills, he could be an absolute MONSTER. I attribute 90% of his issues to the fact that as a true freshman he was thrown to the wolves during a coaching transition. Still he showed a TON of potential before his confidence was destroyed. He passed for 300 yards and had several TD passes dropped.

The Tools
Kivon Taylor
- As anyone can attest from watching the pre-game warmups, Kivon Taylor has the biggest arm on the team. He tosses it 50 yards EASY. He looks FAST, and he looks like he's legit 6'5 210. I have no idea about anything else that he brings to the table from an awareness, leadership, technique perspective. But if you are doing a "create-a-player" in NCAA 14, your quarterback has the attributes of Kivon Taylor. of all the QBs, I'm most excited to see him.

I think Cochran should be the starter until someone beats him out after his performance to close the year in 2013 I value production over potential any day. However, Diaco is going to come in and evaluate for himself among these 4. I don't think he will put a ton of weight into last years' production, but rather open it up. Since I have penciled Whitmer as a backup and have no clue about Kivon Taylor, I am going to assume the starter comes from the Cochran/Boyle pair. Given Boyle's intoxicating skills and added mobility, I think that wins the coach over. Not that I have any idea. As long as someone moves the ball, you will find me happily enjoying the 2014 season.

MY Depth Chart

Cochran
Whitmer
Taylor
Boyle(Redshirt)

Projected Depth Chart

Boyle
Cochran
Whitmer
Taylor

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
actually implying that he only did well because he played against weak competition is a major slight. It's also bullcrap. Rutgers' defense was just as good as USF's, actually Rutgers mounted a better pass rush.

I full expect open competition at the position, and that's the way it should be, but the boneheads who want to keep implying that Casey only did well because the competition was weak have no clue.

I'm not implying anything.

CC did really well against a few bad defenses.

I'm not implying that was only reason he did well, but to completely ignore it doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I am thinking this Marchi news is something the team can withstand? Also, I found it weird the kid left St. Paul after the football season. Odd, really.

From Courant: Marchi, from Winsted, played at St. Paul High in Bristol before leaving the school recently based on a financial decision.
I'm sure tuition at St. Paul's is steep. Not everyone can afford it. It was the academic issues that raised flags for me. The idea that he's this far along and just finding out UConn may not take him? Colossal miscommunication.

Reaction Score
I am more excited about our QB situation now than at any point in the "post-DO" era.

My Opinions of the QBs: in order of seniority

The Veteran Backup
Chandler Whitmer
- Gunslinger, risk-taker, poor pocket awareness. I think he is an eminently capable thrower who was put in a terrible situation for 3 years under PP/GDL. Due to his poor pocket awareness(fatal flaw) and GDLs incompetence, i have never seen a QB take the consistent beating that this kid took. It was really hard to watch. I am chalking 99% of that up to GDL because F* GDL. I like Chandler as a backup.

The Savvy Technician
Casey Cochran
- Smart, Accurate, Poised. Good overall awareness, but limited somewhat due to his size/mobility. Still, his accuracy is extremely impressive. He's kind of our Drew Brees. Productive, but doesn't seduce you with his skillset. Had a great 6 games, but I do question the competition. Still, can't hate on the productivity. those last 3 games were the most fun I've had at a UConn game from section 229 in a while, and I couldn't care less if you are 6'5 or 5'5 if you can move the ball down the field.

The Franchise
Tim Boyle
- The prototypical college qb. Big, Tall, Mobile, Arm, Mechanics, technique. If he can just get his mental game on the same level as his physical skills, he could be an absolute MONSTER. I attribute 90% of his issues to the fact that as a true freshman he was thrown to the wolves during a coaching transition. Still he showed a TON of potential before his confidence was destroyed. He passed for 300 yards and had several TD passes dropped.

The Tools
Kivon Taylor
- As anyone can attest from watching the pre-game warmups, Kivon Taylor has the biggest arm on the team. He tosses it 50 yards EASY. He looks FAST, and he looks like he's legit 6'5 210. I have no idea about anything else that he brings to the table from an awareness, leadership, technique perspective. But if you are doing a "create-a-player" in NCAA 14, your quarterback has the attributes of Kivon Taylor. of all the QBs, I'm most excited to see him.

I think Cochran should be the starter until someone beats him out after his performance to close the year in 2013 I value production over potential any day. However, Diaco is going to come in and evaluate for himself among these 4. I don't think he will put a ton of weight into last years' production, but rather open it up. Since I have penciled Whitmer as a backup and have no clue about Kivon Taylor, I am going to assume the starter comes from the Cochran/Boyle pair. Given Boyle's intoxicating skills and added mobility, I think that wins the coach over. Not that I have any idea. As long as someone moves the ball, you will find me happily enjoying the 2014 season.

MY Depth Chart

Cochran
Whitmer
Taylor
Boyle(Redshirt)

Projected Depth Chart

Boyle
Cochran
Whitmer
Taylor

I definitely prefer your depth chart...

Reaction Score
I agree with CC being the no. 1 when camp starts based upon last years performance but saying he deserves it just cause he threw for 464 yards in a game, while a record setting day is just that. Remember everyone's whipping boy Johnny McEntee threw for 300 yards and 4 TDs in a game.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see Taylor under center. Agree that he looks like a beast in warm ups flicking the ball accurately about 50 yards. Johnny McEntee could throw a ball into a trashcan from 80 yards out though so who knows.

Reaction Score
Cochran and Boyle are the horses we'll ride. The only question is whether Boyle hits the road because Cochran must be in the 1 spot and will likely remain there for a long time if he continues where left off. Boyle is a superior QB in every way (physically superior, better arm, fast release, etc.) except on the field. Cochran has got the "it" when it's game time.

Reaction Score
The clear difference to me was CC could read defenses, had a quick release and could throw the ball where the WR was going to be. The game was not too fast for him.

Boyle, not having a year under his belt like CC, was not ready for the speed of college football, IMHO.

What CC may lack in physical skills he more than makes up for it in football IQ. I'm going to go out on a short limb and say CC is more than likely a genius. Throw in the "football life" he grew up in and he probably qualifies as a football IQ genius.

If CC and Boyle switched teams they played against I think CC does pretty good while Boyle still struggles. It's not a knock on Boyle it's just CC had a year under his belt and had the benefit of his lifestyle growing up.

I would hope CC is working twice as hard this off season. I also hope Boyle wasn't damaged and is working just as hard. I was pretty sure CC was going to be mentally tough. We'll just have to see about Boyle.

Remember Boyle will be in the same boat CC was last year, having a year under his belt. Let's see if he takes advantage of that year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If I was magically running this team tomorrow (God help us if I was!), I would be quite tempted to redshirt Boyle and go this year with Cochran, Whitmer, and Taylor. I think that both Cochran and Whitmer have shown that they are capable QB leaders. Boyle could probably use the extra year of development. And then Boyle would have two more years of eligibility by the time Casey graduates. Now watch Boyle have a breakout year and I have to put a "mea culpa" on the board around week 6... :confused:

Of course, if the coaching staff truly feels like Boyle is the best QB on the squad, you have to go with him. But if they don't, I'd try to get him that extra year to grow and learn the new system...

Reaction Score
Cochran is head and shoulders above the other guys who played last year because he won games and looked exceptional in doing so. He does all the little things that need to be done to be competive. He gets rid of the ball FAST and takes pressure off of the Oline. Also, the offense played better when he was the QB.

Redshirting Boyle is the right thing to do if he wants to stay. It will give him the best chance to play down the line.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cochran is head and shoulders above the other guys who played last year because he won games and looked exceptional in doing so. He does all the little things that need to be done to be competive. He gets rid of the ball FAST and takes pressure off of the Oline. Also, the offense played better when he was the QB.

Redshirting Boyle is the right thing to do if he wants to stay. It will give him the best chance to play down the line.

Yeah. I would definitely go with:
starter: Cochran
#1 backup: Whitmer
#2 backup: Taylor
RS:Boyle.

2014 should be a redshirt year for Boyle. Then in Spring of 2015, Boyle can battle Cochran for the staring job looking at the 2015 (Cochran's last year of eligibility) season. Then the job should be his for 2016 and 2017 if he's up for the task.

That's the 5 year plan for Boyle. Taylor stays in the mix as back up #1 or 2.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I would definitely go with:
starter: Cochran
#1 backup: Whitmer
#2 backup: Taylor
RS:Boyle.

2014 should be a redshirt year for Boyle. Then in Spring of 2015, Boyle can battle Cochran for the staring job looking at the 2015 (Cochran's last year of eligibility) season. Then the job should be his for 2016 and 2017 if he's up for the task.

That's the 5 year plan for Boyle. Taylor stays in the mix as back up #1 or 2.

Whitmer's decision to stay is an indicator that he was promised a chance to regain his starting role. It is also an indication that the QB race is wide open. To me, Taylor is a really interesting wild card. As I remember the media coverage, he was portrayed as one of the best, if not the best, athlete on the team. Very big, very fast, very big arm were modifiers used by more than one writer. His negatives had mostly to do with his inexperience playing QB. More than once, WR or TE were discussed as possibilities if QB didn't work out.

My observations are the same as others on the the BY. No-effort canon shots in pre-game. In addition, he really looks like he belongs. A person, knowing nothing about the team, seeing Taylor during the millisecond or two of his pre-game involvement might pick him as the team's star. It's no secret that Coaches love and become enamored with great athletes. If Taylor is as naturally gifted as indicated, he's going to get a really long look. Hell, he might be Dan O. with wheels.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's decision to stay is an indicator that he was promised a chance to regain his starting role. It is also an indication that the QB race is wide open. To me, Taylor is a really interesting wild card. As I remember the media coverage, he was portrayed as one of the best, if not the best, athlete on the team. Very big, very fast, very big arm were modifiers used by more than one writer. His negatives had mostly to do with his inexperience playing QB. More than once, WR or TE were discussed as possibilities if QB didn't work out.

My observations are the same as others on the the BY. No-effort canon shots in pre-game. In addition, he really looks like he belongs. A person, knowing nothing about the team, seeing Taylor during the millisecond or two of his pre-game involvement might pick him as the team's star. It's no secret that Coaches love and become enamored with great athletes. If Taylor is as naturally gifted as indicated, he's going to get a really long look. Hell, he might be Dan O. with wheels.

The most athletic QB we have is Scott McCummings. Big arm, great mobility, can run over people. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
We did two years ago.

I know, I was being sarcastic. Scott does in fact have a big arm and great athleticism and so does Boyle... but give me the guy who can see the whole field and correctly decipher where the ball needs to go at all times and get it there on time with pinpoint accuracy. The guy who doesn't run from the pass rush, he instead shoots it in the heart. The cold blooded sniper, the field General.

I want the football IQ Genius.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know, I was being sarcastic. Scott does in fact have a big arm and great athleticism and so does Boyle... but give me the guy who can see the whole field and correctly decipher where the ball needs to go at all times and get it there on time with pinpoint accuracy. The guy who doesn't run from the pass rush, he instead shoots it in the heart. The cold blooded sniper, the field General.

I want the football IQ Genius.

Is it my imagination, or do you sometimes seem like an over-protective parent?:D

Reaction Score
Is it my imagination, or do you sometimes seem like an over-protective parent?:D

Worse than that, I'm a crazy UCONN fan who wants to see the team win.

Whaler can attest to the fact that I was very generous in my praise of Boyle after the USF game, so nobody can accuse me of having a personal horse in this race. I'm an impartial observer and we had a clear cut winner last year, no contest, no doubt. Forgive me but I want to see more of the mind freak behind center, I bet the rest of our offense does too.

What happens when we get the wiz kid a tight end? and Shakim Phillips on the field? I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom