2014 - The Gunslingers | The Boneyard

2014 - The Gunslingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ya know what Diaco has done. He has me slapping together a spreadsheet roster of the Huskies! Haven't done one since around 2009.

We have 7 freakin' QBs on the roster for next season! And nope, they aren't all returning I'm sure.

Seeing the 7 names its hard to think a new coach will appoint Cochran as The Man until maybe after the Spring Game and I think we are sure he has two legs up over everyone else but who do you think is gone? If anyone?

They are:

Cochran
Boyle
McCummings
Whitmer
Ecke
DeBerry
K. Taylor

This is where you guys tell me that so and so actually plays safety now or left. I am going by the roster shown on the school site tonight.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
See your "disclaimer" but you forgot incoming frosh QB Logan Marchi. ;)
Yes, I am not including incoming frosh yet. By Sunday, yes.

Reaction Score
DeBerry was running w/ wide receivers - might have seen some occasional Scout team reps but he wasn't in the 4 man QB rotation (CW, TB, CC, KT)

Des on Whitmer:

>>Whitmer Making A Call

Junior quarterback Chandler Whitmer is deciding if his playing career is over. He

was spotted in the Burton Family Football Complex shortly before Diaco's press conference and said he's deciding if it's best to return, transfer or leave the game altogether.

Whitmer said he's been thinking about it for a while and could come to a decision soon.

Whitmer (71 of 129, five touchdowns, six interceptions) came to UConn two seasons ago, started all 12 games his first year and led the Huskies to a 5-7 season that included 16 interceptions and nine touchdowns for him. Last season, he was intercepted five times during the 0-4 start and was replaced by freshman Tim Boyle (59 of 133, 0 TDs, eight INTs) in Week 5. Freshman Casey Cochran (111 of 175, 1,293, 11 TDs, four INTs) went 3-1 to finish the season.<<

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2262/article/p2p-78544940/

Reaction Score
I never thought Cochran was the guy until he did what he did on the field. If our offense produced like that in 2012 we would have been 9-3. I think he should be the starter going into the spring game.

Reaction Score
Was going to start but then I stopped. Too many unanswered questions about the offensive staff, philosophy and exactly how good our 2 young QB's who played are, given the circumstances and competition. I would hope we have Casey and Tim at least ready and improving and fighting for time or ready to come in if needed. They are both different type QB's who can help us win.

Willing to see how it plays out.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
DeBerry was running w/ wide receivers - might have seen some occasional Scout team reps but he wasn't in the 4 man QB rotation (CW, TB, CC, KT)

Des on Whitmer:

>>Whitmer Making A Call

Junior quarterback Chandler Whitmer is deciding if his playing career is over. He

was spotted in the Burton Family Football Complex shortly before Diaco's press conference and said he's deciding if it's best to return, transfer or leave the game altogether.

Whitmer said he's been thinking about it for a while and could come to a decision soon.

If I had to bet on, it I'd bet Whitmer transfers out soon

Reaction Score
That would stink. Ideally Cochran starts, Whitmer backs him up and Boyle redshirts.
I feel that on this board we have placed the redshirt in some kind of exalted status that devalues having the best athletes on the field. Whitmer is obviously not a starting D1 QB. In fact, he isn't the second best QB on this team, so I wouldn't want him as the back up. The back up should logically be the second best quarterback. The back up's back up should be the third best quarterback. We should bring in a talented new recruit at the position every year so that if a situation like this occurs, its not a problem. [See the shiny new recruiter we just hired to achieve this goal.]

Now don't get me wrong. I am not for pushing players out who don't factor into foreseeable playing time. That is unfair to the kids who have made a commitment to play for this university. But based on what we have seen, Whitmer should not be on the travel squad. Whether that fact plays any decision into what he thinks is best for his future is for him to figure out.

Reaction Score
I feel that on this board we have placed the redshirt in some kind of exalted status that devalues having the best athletes on the field. Whitmer is obviously not a starting D1 QB. In fact, he isn't the second best QB on this team, so I wouldn't want him as the back up. The back up should logically be the second best quarterback. The back up's back up should be the third best quarterback. We should bring in a talented new recruit at the position every year so that if a situation like this occurs, its not a problem. [See the shiny new recruiter we just hired to achieve this goal.]

Now don't get me wrong. I am not for pushing players out who don't factor into foreseeable playing time. That is unfair to the kids who have made a commitment to play for this university. But based on what we have seen, Whitmer should not be on the travel squad. Whether that fact plays any decision into what he thinks is best for his future is for him to figure out.

Whitmer is probably better than Boyle right now.

If Boyle isn't going to redshirt one would think he might transfer; Cochran looked really, really good and right now he is in the same class as Boyle. That's the main reason I would like to see Boyle redshirt, I don't think he wants to be a career back-up.

Reaction Score
Saw McCummings on your list. "Wildcat"!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more please.....

Good athlete...Maybe we can see him as a blocking back/tight end....he did bulk up to 250 lbs. if he returns

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

If Boyle isn't going to redshirt one would think he might transfer; Cochran looked really, really good and right now he is in the same class as Boyle. That's the main reason I would like to see Boyle redshirt, I don't think he wants to be a career back-up.

539974_303885846368238_1455014827_n.jpg

Reaction Score

I guess we disagree on Whitmer/Boyle. That doesn't mean you have to necessarily blow his red shirt though. Boyle gets the number 2 reps in practice, and if Casey stays healthy he doesn't play. If Casey goes down, Boyle goes in and who knows maybe overtakes the position. If Casey needs to be relieved in scrap time, play Chandler or Kivon.

Their will always be kids that transfer, but better to prepare like you always will be putting the best product on the field, than worrying about things the coaches have little control over anyway.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I think your wrong as why would Boyle leave with a new coaching staff coming in. I think Casey has a leg up but my guess is they will be slinging it this spring and summer to see what happens next fall.
My guess is that if anyone leaves it would be Whitmer for a chance to start at a FCS school for a year.

Reaction Score
Saw McCummings on your list. "Wildcat"!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more please.....

Good athlete...Maybe we can see him as a blocking back/tight end....he did bulk up to 250 lbs. if he returns

Bulked up? Or came into camp way out of shape. He tore his achilles remember. I believe that's correct anyway.

Also Whitmer is definitely a better QB than Boyle right now. Boyle has better raw tools. But Whitmer is the better QB IMO.

Reaction Score
There's really no debate about who gave us the best play at QB this season, regardless of competition. Some guys just see the game better and you don't see that in them until they are in the spotlight.

As for Whitmer, I feel badly for him. Some of his struggles are certainly of his own making and largely to do with poor decision making. But, he took every snap under the direction of P's duckked up regime. The OL was a complete, total and utter disaster. I would love to see him come back and compete another season for the job.

Boyle certainly appears to be the most physically gifted and hopefully we can keep him in the program. He could end up being a real good one.

McCummings will never take another snap from center.

Have no idea what we have in Taylor.

Nobody's getting handed the keys to start the Spring. May very well have someone come out as the starter and it may very well be CC based on his current body of work and what he shows these new coaches in the Spring. I don't think that is a certainty.

Reaction Score
We don't know who the best QB for next year and we most likely wont until we know what offense the team will be running. I liked Casey, the timing, the touch, his decisions, they were beyond anything we had seen in the last two years. However, I don't think (IMHO) I saw the rocket arm. If we manage to keep TJW as OC, I think we have a starter, if HCBD goes in a different direction then all bets are off, and there should be open competition for the job.

Reaction Score
Playing, then sitting on the bench was probably good for Boyle. It really helps a QB visualize a game. I suspect he will return next year much improved.

Cochran has shown the ability to play at game speed. His footall intelligent is by far the bets of the group.

Whitmer is what he is. Very solid but I don't see a lot of upside. I think next year is a two man race and unfortunately CW will have a tough time keeping up.

Reaction Score
Diaco mentioned at the presser that he likes his QB to move in the pocket and stretch the defense. That may portend he's looking for an Everett Golson over Tommy Rees type of player. Should be interesting to watch the QB's compete during spring under his system.

Reaction Score
In terms of QBs that moved in the pocket and stretched the field there is no doubt who did the best with that for UCONN this season.....CC.

I think entirely too much is made of physical characteristics of QBs, including arm strength btw. So much if it is being able to make reads, react and lead. I would not make too much of those comment by Diaco as it relates to our current group of QBs.

Reaction Score
If I had to bet on, it I'd bet Whitmer transfers out soon

I think it greatly depends on his academic situation. It would be foolish for Whitmer to transfer if he has not graduated yet and his next school won't transfer all his credits. But if he has graduated or is on track to graduate in May, I wouldn't blame him for moving on.

Reaction Score
Diaco mentioned at the presser that he likes his QB to move in the pocket and stretch the defense. That may portend he's looking for an Everett Golson over Tommy Rees type of player. Should be interesting to watch the QB's compete during spring under his system.

You are taking those comments out of context, he didn't say he wants a QB who moves the pocket, he was just making general comments about the offense he envisions (with any QB). You can design a play that moves the pocket with Casey, we just ran a few last week.

Reaction Score
However, I don't think (IMHO) I saw the rocket arm.

A rocket arm is probably the most overrated asset a QB can have, how many rocket arm QB 's have been drafted into the NFL and couldn't play a lick. In reality you don't want your QB throwing rockets because they tend to be dropped by the WR. Notice we had very few drops when Casey took over. Casey actually gets the ball to our WR's quicker than any QB we have ever had, that's why our WR's YAC went through the roof after Casey took over.

Casey's arm is plenty strong, it may have been weak coming out of high school but it is not anymore. We really need to stop this mindless group think that Casey's arm is weak, our eyes over the last couple weeks tell us it is not. Casey made all of the throws and the kid can flat out play the position and I would say there is a 99% chance he will be the starter and a 1% chance that Diaco is a blind fool.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
See your "disclaimer" but you forgot incoming frosh QB Logan Marchi. ;)

I am thinking this Marchi news is something the team can withstand? Also, I found it weird the kid left St. Paul after the football season. Odd, really.

From Courant: Marchi, from Winsted, played at St. Paul High in Bristol before leaving the school recently based on a financial decision.

Reaction Score
Dove said:
I am thinking this Marchi news is something the team can withstand? Also, I found it weird the kid left St. Paul after the football season. Odd, really.

From Courant: Marchi, from Winsted, played at St. Paul High in Bristol before leaving the school recently based on a financial decision.

A qb should be signed in each class. Attrition is usually high at qb. I am hoping Coach D can snag one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom