2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnReport 9:03am via twitterfeed
Lovett returns to Storrs: Earlier this week, three-star quarterback John Lovett of Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha m... Post original url/10iRZpL

3* 6-3 212 lb pro-style QB being recruited by Coach Buggs. Came up for Junior Day and visted practice the other day. Offer from Buffalo. Other interest from Turtle U, Rutgers, Demon Deacon, PSU and UVA

http://www.gazette.net/article/20121004/SPORTS/710049960/1225/news&source=RSS&template=gazette

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1334851/#john-lovett

YouTube

http://fansided150.com/2013/03/10/f...-the-next-level-nation-5-star-elite-showcase/

Top QB: John Lovett – DeMatha Catholic High School (Class of 2014)
The 6’3″ signal caller was not the most heralded QB present at the showcase but Lovett put on a show and displayed a level of confidence going through the drills which stood out as I watched passing drills. Lovett displayed a strong arm and there was not one throw the coaches asked the QB’s to make that gave him any trouble. As of right now Lovett’s only offer is from Buffalo but after his performance yesterday I would expect his name to continue to come up as a recruit on the rise if the rest of his summer showcase events are on par with what he did Saturday afternoon.

Reaction Score
JB is reporting that 6-4 305 lb DT Pete Mokwuah of Staten Island's (N.Y.) St. Joseph By The Sea paid a visit to campus last week to view spring practice.

The usual cast of characters are involved besides UConn - he has a Rutty offer and interest from Cuse, Temple, UMD, Pittsburgh, UVA and Penn State (took unofficial visit).

From NJ.com article - "Mokwuah, who stands 6-4 and 300 pounds, is currently in the process of growing into his big body. He began his high school career as a 6-foot, 180-pound part-time skill position athlete."

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2010052/#highlights/22735377

Reaction Score
how the hell does BCU have 4 recruits already and we have none?? They look like legit recruits too. WTF

Reaction Score
UConnReport10:34am via twitterfeed
Stapleton checks out a practice: Offensive lineman Austin Stapleton of Montvale (N.J.) St. Joseph's has been r... Post original url/12DCz3p

6-5 290 lb who attended Junior Day and visited last week to watch practice and meet w/ GDL. Interest from BC, Indiana, Cuse, PSU. Duke, Northwestern, UNC and Villanova.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest, we likely have a small class and Addazio will be backing up the truck (I forsee a class of 27-30) as he turns over the roster. If we had 3 recruits signed by now, would that mean we are going to win the AAC, get to a BCS bowl, be invited to the BIG, anything at all?

Reaction Score
Lets be honest, we likely have a small class and Addazio will be backing up the truck (I forsee a class of 27-30) as he turns over the roster. If we had 3 recruits signed by now, would that mean we are going to win the AAC, get to a BCS bowl, be invited to the BIG, anything at all?

I went over and looked at their board just to see what there was to see (bunch of s unsurprisingly) and FWIW, their recruiting thread says this isn't a big class really, not small either but not one of those 25-30 recruit class. The post said they have 17 schollies available right now, but ti will likely end up about 22 due to attrition.

Unfortunately, I think maybe 1) Addazio can sell ice to an eskimo and 2) maybe Spaziani left something breathing; and 3) most importantly PP can't get anybody excited about this thing here.

I realize the whole thing (recruiting) is a crapshoot but it would be nice to see something of a future to look forward to and it seemed like we were making strides, Sylva, Cochran, Boyle, Jasudowich(sp?), etc. Now, I worry maybe it was the coach up there not the whole program that's flat lined.

Reaction Score
Recruits are getting a very positive perception of BC. Really good academics, ACC is being hyped as actually good in football over the next 5 years (unlikely to happen with big time teams leaving soon, but that is what some recruits are being told) Some recruits have basically no clue about conference realignment. It's insane to say, but it is true. BC will have a ton of playing time available at most key positions. Academics + a lot of playing time + perception of ACC as a power conference = players committing early.

Reaction Score
Recruits are getting a very positive perception of BC. Really good academics, ACC is being hyped as actually good in football over the next 5 years (unlikely to happen with big time teams leaving soon, but that is what some recruits are being told) Some recruits have basically no clue about conference realignment. It's insane to say, but it is true. BC will have a ton of playing time available at most key positions. Academics + a lot of playing time + perception of ACC as a power conference = players committing early.

but wasn't ACC perceived as a power conference the last few years too? Or do you mean its perceived (by recruits) as more powerful relatively to the AAC than the BE?

Reaction Score
Addaz will sign 25 minimum. I think it'll be close to 30. He is installing new schemes across the board.

BC is a good school - great academics, in a nice city, etc. It's easy to sell to kids looking for an urban environment. It's also a benefit to sign on as part of intial class, as new coach is looking for "his" guys", so you have a sense as a recruit that teh field may be closer there than other places.

Are we really complaining about our recruiting? We just brought in the highest ratest class ever. We may have shown ZERO on the field, but really, you think we have not upped the level of recruits being brought in? If so, WOW.

Reaction Score
Addaz will sign 25 minimum. I think it'll be close to 30. He is installing new schemes across the board.

BC is a good school - great academics, in a nice city, etc. It's easy to sell to kids looking for an urban environment. It's also a benefit to sign on as part of intial class, as new coach is looking for "his" guys", so you have a sense as a recruit that teh field may be closer there than other places.

Are we really complaining about our recruiting? We just brought in the highest ratest class ever. We may have shown ZERO on the field, but really, you think we have not upped the level of recruits being brought in? If so, WOW.

No he really won't BC will be taking around 20 give or take a few. We'll probably have another 2 kids in the bag shortly after the spring game next weekend. That's just guys that are pretty much locks to commit if they are given the green light. This is going to be a special class for us.

Reaction Score
UConnReport 10:57am via twitterfeed
UConn offers MD ATH: As the Spring Evaluation Period nears, UConn continues to scour the region looking for ta... Post original url/ZFmlGh

3* 5-7 165 lb "Athelete"/RB/Slot/CB/SS Russell Neverdon of Towson (Md.) Calvert Hall. Camped here last summer. Offers in pocket from us, BC, Youngstown, Robert Morris, Toledo. Interest from the Ivies (Yale, Crimson, Cornell and Princeton), Pitt, ODU, Cincy, UMD, Temple and tOSU.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1822795/#russell-neverdon

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/170031/russell-neverdon

Reaction Score
BC has to take a big class as their class last year was small. They did not take a single OL last year which I would find alarming if I were a BC fan. Adazio has his hands full and could be in for a really rough start. That said, I think he a Brown are good coaches. It's BC though. so they'll duck it up and never win anything.

Reaction Score
It appears we are only taking 2 OL this year which is odd but I trust Addazio's judgements when it comes to anything OL. The previous 2 classes were big on OL and alot of talent so maybe it's not a huge surprise. We lost 2 this year only 1 this year.

Reaction Score
BC has to take a big class as their class last year was small. They did not take a single OL last year which I would find alarming if I were a BC fan. Adazio has his hands full and could be in for a really rough start. That said, I think he a Brown are good coaches. It's BC though. so they'll duck it up and never win anything.

First, while the general idea that a new coach wants his own guys is sound, but I don't think too many northern schools are doing a lot of forced grey shirting (obviously there are exceptions) and certainly not booting guys off the team. So if there are only 17 roster spots opening up, there will not be a 30 person class. I'm sure it will be more than 17, but 13 is a ton of attrition.

Second, I'm complaining, or at least concerned about a specific trend. BC under Spaziani was obviously trending downward and we were starting to beat them head-to-head for recruits. I do not want that trend to reverse and fear it may be doing so.

It's the first sentence of your middle paragraph that is concerning.

Reaction Score
BobLichtenfels2:43pm via web
Per Brooklyn (N.Y.) Lincoln Head Coach Shawn O'Connor, #NotreDame just offered DT Thomas Holley #Irish 247sports.com/Player/Thomas-…

So that makes so far - UConn, ND, BCU, Turtle U, Ole Miss, Baylor, PSU, FSU, Florida, Rutty, Cuse and the U

From TOS - ""I do plan on visiting UConn and I plan to visit a few other schools, but I'm not sure when," he said. "I want to visit all three Florida schools; Miami, Florida and Florida State, and then Syracuse and Notre Dame."

Okay then...

BobLichtenfels 12:15pm via Twitter for Android
#Clemson and #Alabama offer Brooklyn (N.Y.) Lincoln DT Thomas Holley #Tide #Tigers

... and Nebraska.

BobLichtenfels 5:44pm via Web
#OSU becomes the latest to offer Brooklyn (N.Y.) Abraham Lincoln DT Thomas Holley #Buckeyes

Quite the list of offers...

BobLichtenfels 2:43pm via Twitter for Android
#USC offered Brooklyn (N.Y.) Thomas Jefferson DT Thomas Holley today.

So to recap - UConn, ND, BC, UMD, Ole Miss, Baylor, PSU, FSU. Florida, Rutty, Cuse, Miami, Clemson, Bama, tOSU and USCw

Reaction Score
but wasn't ACC perceived as a power conference the last few years too? Or do you mean its perceived (by recruits) as more powerful relatively to the AAC than the BE?

My point is that once teams like Florida State (Big 12), Clemson (SEC ?), Virginia Tech (SEC ?), North Carolina (BIG/SEC) leave than it won't be a power conference anymore. 2014 and 2015 recruits are not being told that the conference is completely unstable and that likely 4-8 teams (the best football teams) will probably be leaving in the next 2-3 years. These recruits will start 1.5-2.5+ years from now. Therefore, these recruits are committing to BC thinking they will be playing conference games against Florida State, Virginia Tech etc. for their 4 years there. Anyone with any information about conference realignment knows this is complete BS. If recruits knew that UConn and BC will probably be in the same conference when they start playing and that the other best football teams will be Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse, than it could change their mind.

Reaction Score
My point is that once teams like Florida State (Big 12), Clemson (SEC ?), Virginia Tech (SEC ?), North Carolina (BIG/SEC) leave than it won't be a power conference anymore. 2014 and 2015 recruits are not being told that the conference is completely unstable and that likely 4-8 teams (the best football teams) will probably be leaving in the next 2-3 years. These recruits will start 1.5-2.5+ years from now. Therefore, these recruits are committing to BC thinking they will be playing conference games against Florida State, Virginia Tech etc. for their 4 years there. Anyone with any information about conference realignment knows this is complete BS. If recruits knew that UConn and BC will probably be in the same conference when they start playing and that the other best football teams will be Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse, than it could change their mind.

But my point is that recruits last year also would have thought it was a better and more stable conference than it was and still didnt' want to go to BC. Now they do and that is concerning.

Reaction Score
But my point is that recruits last year also would have thought it was a better and more stable conference than it was and still didnt' want to go to BC. Now they do and that is concerning.

Coaching change has recruits excited. They think the program is going to be turned around. People on this board think it's weird that BC is getting recruits now, but the outlier was the last few years when they were not getting recruits.

Reaction Score
Coaching change has recruits excited. They think the program is going to be turned around. People on this board think it's weird that BC is getting recruits now, but the outlier was the last few years when they were not getting recruits.

No, I agree with this. I was just hoping it wasn't the case (as to which was the outlier - then or now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom