2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you look at key Offensive skill positions (excepting QB ... where I think PP has far better prospects than HCRE) ... we have been thin and less impressive than our previous regime.

Edsall could pull a Brockington or Bellamy in after Caulley went down. Then, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman. I don't see that now. With a far better platform, PP hasn't gotten it done.

At TE, as I see McQuillan go down, UConn has a wonderful group of TEs since 2003.

At WR? Shakim Phillips and Geremy Davis might be our best 2 starting guys; and I love the idea of Deshon Foxx ... let's see what he produces. But, I feel like we are thin here as well. We seemed to NOT have superstar WRs the past 10 years; but we had depth.

We could argue whether Brockington or Bellamy were 1A backs, but the 3-headed monster was something. I'm optimistic about young RBs here and those coming.

I'm not sure I understand - are you suggesting HCRE pulled in better skilled recruits at all positions other than QB?

Reaction Score
If you look at key Offensive skill positions (excepting QB ... where I think PP has far better prospects than HCRE) ... we have been thin and less impressive than our previous regime.

Edsall could pull a Brockington or Bellamy in after Caulley went down. Then, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman. I don't see that now. With a far better platform, PP hasn't gotten it done.

At TE, as I see McQuillan go down, UConn has a wonderful group of TEs since 2003.

At WR? Shakim Phillips and Geremy Davis might be our best 2 starting guys; and I love the idea of Deshon Foxx ... let's see what he produces. But, I feel like we are thin here as well. We seemed to NOT have superstar WRs the past 10 years; but we had depth.

I think PP has upgraded the QB position, but RB depth continues to be a problem. I give PP a pass on the RB position his first season, but this is season 3 and we still don't have good depth at RB.

Go back to 2005 and this is what UCONN's RB depth was including true freshman:

Lou Allen, Deon Anderson, Cornell Brockington, Terry Caulley, Matt Lawrence, Larry Taylor, Stanley Williams, Donald Brown, and Andre Dixon.

Reaction Score
I think PP has upgraded the QB position, but RB depth continues to be a problem. I give PP a pass on the RB position his first season, but this is season 3 and we still don't have good depth at RB.

Go back to 2005 and this is what UCONN's RB depth was including true freshman:

Lou Allen, Deon Anderson, Cornell Brockington, Terry Caulley, Matt Lawrence, Larry Taylor, Stanley Williams, Donald Brown, and Andre Dixon.

I don't remember Larry Taylor ever playing RB @ UConn (other than end arounds) - WR/Return?, Matt Lawrence transferred to UMass before 2005 season started but you forgot FB Anthony Barksdale.

Reaction Score
I don't remember Larry Taylor ever playing RB @ UConn (other than end arounds) - WR/Return?, Matt Lawrence transferred to UMass before 2005 season started but you forgot FB Anthony Barksdale.

All true, but the point is look at the talent. Lawrence transferred due to the logjam at RB.

Reaction Score
All true, but the point is look at the talent. Lawrence transferred due to the logjam at RB.

You may end up being right but we don't really know what talent we have because of lack of carries by anyone not named Lyle. Too early in my opinion to compare.

Reaction Score
You may end up being right but we don't really know what talent we have because of lack of carries by anyone not named Lyle. Too early in my opinion to compare.

Well, here is the 2013 roster at RB:

FB: Jazzmar Clark, Matt Walsh
TB: Lyle McCombs, Josh Marriner, Martin Hyppolite, Max DeLorenzo (possibly Joe Williams)

In 2013, UCONN has 6, possibly 7 RBs compared to 10 heading into the 2005 season before Lawrence transferred and Taylor was moved to WR. So, yes, I would say UCONN has a depth problem at RB.

Reaction Score

TB: Lyle McCombs, Josh Marriner, Martin Hyppolite, Max DeLorenzo (possibly Joe Williams)

In 2013, UCONN has 6, possibly 7 RBs compared to 10 heading into the 2005 season before Lawrence transferred and Taylor was moved to WR. So, yes, I would say UCONN has a depth problem at RB.

Ruben Frank @ DE from FB available as well - but I get your point.

Reaction Score
Reminded me it was time to update old HFD list (RIP)...

QB- Logan Marchi (St. Paul HS, CT). Temple*
OL- Chaz Wright (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Woodbridge, VA) NCst*
OL- Rennick Bryan (2nd yr @ Dean JuCo- MA) (Hillhouse, CT)). Temple*
OL- Trey Rutherford (Kent School CT)
OL
DL-
DE/TE- Luke Carrezola (Neshaminy, PA). Temple*
LB/DE- Tom Rodrick (Leicester, MA) UMass
LB- Chris Britton (). Pitt* - I'd strike until more info is available
DB- Jalan Branford (Prep @ FUMA-VA) (Reading PA)
DB- Jamar Summers (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Orange NJ)
WR/Athlete-Justin Noye (Rochester NY). Rutgers*, Temple*
TE- Jordan Fuchs (Prep @ Milford Academy)(CTK, NYC)) Rutgers*, Ist*
TE - Alec Bloom (Ligonier Valley PA)
RB- Arkeel Newsome (Ansonia CT)
RB - Bryce McAllister (Suffield Academy).) Army*
RB/WR/ATH-
ATH/K/LB/P-

I didn't here about Britton's wavering last I heard his was in a holding pattern not sure where he was gonna play for the Fall but still planned on enrolling in the spring:

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/08/chris-britton-still-in-holding-pattern.html

Question on Branford though....I don't see his name listed on the FUMA Prep's 2013 roster...Whats up with that?

http://www.forkunion.com/sites/default/files/2013 FUMA Prep Team.pdf

Also, what's the deal Rennick Bryan, last I heard both Dean kids were undecided, then Sylva commits elsewhere, and I haven't heard what Bryan's deal is...

Reaction Score
I realize Noel Thomas is a wide receiver on our depth chart But I believe he played running back in high school also.

pj

Reaction Score

Maybe the number of names is few, but I like this group. Claxx and Walsh are a big upgrade at fullback, Frank never excelled at the position. McCombs has gotten a lot of yards for us, I'm high on Marriner, Hyppolite seems to have stepped up his game based on practice reports, and Joe Williams has the speed to be a factor. This was a position of weakness last year and it's definitely improved this year.

Reaction Score
I didn't here about Britton's wavering last I heard his was in a holding pattern not sure where he was gonna play for the Fall but still planned on enrolling in the spring:

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/08/chris-britton-still-in-holding-pattern.html

Question on Branford though....I don't see his name listed on the FUMA Prep's 2013 roster...Whats up with that?

http://www.forkunion.com/sites/default/files/2013 FUMA Prep Team.pdf

Also, what's the deal Rennick Bryan, last I heard both Dean kids were undecided, then Sylva commits elsewhere, and I haven't heard what Bryan's deal is...

I claim no ownership to list :) just added new guys and took off JS.

I would also question Bryan until he actually shows/or doesn't show up on campus.

Britton doesn't have any plans for Prep school (per JB on TOS) and it's almost the end of August. That's why I made the comment.

Heard Branford may have taken another route - maybe D2 - but not confirmed.

Reaction Score

Um, I hate to argue math, but to get to 10 you counted the FBs (Allen, Anderson and Barksdale) for 05 but not 13, counted a guy who transferred and one who changed position (and never played RB). It would not be ideal to lock up 10 (of 85) schollies on one position. I believe the numbers are the same, it is the quality that is at issue.

Reaction Score
We could argue whether Brockington or Bellamy were 1A backs, but the 3-headed monster was something. I'm optimistic about young RBs here and those coming.

I'm not sure I understand - are you suggesting HCRE pulled in better skilled recruits at all positions other than QB?

You can argue whether Cornell Brockington, rushing for the yards he did in '04 was a I-A back? How exactly? You can make the argument about Bellamy, but anyone who can rush for 160 against a good NC State team at the end of the day is a I-A back because he was able to fit in at that level.

Man, sometimes this board is unbelievably harsh.

Reaction Score
Too early to tell about the rb's. Plus lack of playing time, but I'm optimistic on Marriner, the fullbacks and the two Rb's coming in. Ask this question 3 years from now and then we can compare. Don't forget Lyle was a Freshman all-american.

Reaction Score
The debate shouldn't really revolve around the talent that PP is recruiting at RB, it's obviously there with the credentials of some of these kids. It's more the development when they come here as well as the development of the offensive line. Edsall- had Foley, McMichael, and Wilson whereas PP has Grampa DeLeone coaching them.

Reaction Score
I claim no ownership to list :) just added new guys and took off JS.

I would also question Bryan until he actually shows/or doesn't show up on campus.

Britton doesn't have any plans for Prep school (per JB on TOS) and it's almost the end of August. That's why I made the comment.

Heard Branford may have taken another route - maybe D2 - but not confirmed.

Thanks for the updates...

Reaction Score
Well - here's an update from Jim Fuller on the Preppers:

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/08/manuel-encouraged-by-what-he-has-seen.html

>>FORK UNION, MILFORD ACADEMY OPEN THIS WEEKEND
In a perfect world Jordan Fuchs, Jamar Summers, Chasz Wright, Jalan Branford and Chris Britton would be up at UConn working alongside the rest of the talented group of true freshmen.

However, there weren't enough scholarship slots for all of them so the plan is for the aforementioned quintet to spend the fall semester at prep schools before enrolling at UConn in January.

The journey begins on Saturday as Fuchs, Summers and Wright are expected to be in uniform when Milford Academy hosts Globe Institute at 4 p.m.

A source close to the situation said that Britton is expected to enroll at Fork Union and the Reading (Pa.) Eagle reported back in June that Branford was heading to Fork Union. However, in an email to the Register Fork Union postgraduate football coach Col. John Shuman said neither player is currently in camp and therefore won't be playing in Friday's season opener against the Apprentice School.<<

Reaction Score
You can argue whether Cornell Brockington, rushing for the yards he did in '04 was a I-A back? How exactly? You can make the argument about Bellamy, but anyone who can rush for 160 against a good NC State team at the end of the day is a I-A back because he was able to fit in at that level.

Man, sometimes this board is unbelievably harsh.

Biz, you really need to study your football. How good could the kid be if he didn't have a bunch of stars after his name on the recruiting sites? You're placing much to much importance in performance on the field.......

Reaction Score
Biz, you really need to study your football. How good could the kid be if he didn't have a bunch of stars after his name on the recruiting sites? You're placing much to much importance in performance on the field.......

Damn. I keep making that mistake. Note to self -- you are not a I-A football player based on whether you can play at that level during your career. You are a I-A player based on how some people with a commercial interest judge you when you are a junior in high school. Got it.

I wish I didn't have to prove myself to my clients every day, and could just say I got through Yale Law School so don't worry how I perform -- I must be good. Sadly, that doesn't work.

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Britton and Branford. Where are they playing this fall?

As noted above - Britton has no current plans to play anywhere. Maybe January enrollee?

Branford is not playing this fall... he's enrolling @ Indiana University PA (DII) in January?

Reaction Score
Damn. I keep making that mistake. Note to self -- you are not a I-A football player based on whether you can play at that level during your career. You are a I-A player based on how some people with a commercial interest judge you when you are a junior in high school. Got it.

I wish I didn't have to prove myself to my clients every day, and could just say I got through Yale Law School so don't worry how I perform -- I must be good. Sadly, that doesn't work.

And there it is, how can I mention for the 98689076897th time i went to Yale? Not once were stars or amything about their HS careers mentioned. But as they taught you at YLS, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

The point I was trying to make had more to do with the program at that stage then the players. The 03-04 schedules were transition schedules, with 3-4 good 1A teams and a mix of 1AA, and very low level 1A, which was appropriate. Would Brockington have performed at the same level in 08, 09, 10? I'm not sure, which was why I typed "one could argue". Those three words are not a statement of fact, just to clarify.

I'm glad Bellamy had a good day at NC State and I'm thrilled that CB had a good year when many worried about who might carry the rock after the gruesome injury to 44. But any kid can have a good day against a 1A opponent. Here were the stats from the Towson game at LSU - a team many feel ranks slightly above the powerhouse NCState team from 04 that finished the regular season 7-5 --- Grant Enders 12-86, Terrance West 22-79. Which of those are a 1A tailback? Thats the same yardage Bellamy gained against NCState.

Using your words, I could argue neither proved themselves everyday. Bellamy proved himself one day, Brockington proved himself one year. Neither proved themselves everyday.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

OL
DL-
DB- Jalan Branford (Prep @ FUMA-VA) (Reading PA)
RB/WR/ATH-
ATH/K/LB/P-

Christmas wish list....two of the three following: a center, a guard and another tackle (who knows Bryan's real status), a linebacker to keep the pipeline stacked (and avoid creating wholes in the matriculation), a db and a wr. I wouldnt turn down another RB if its the big burly pounder kind or a DT for depth. OL needs remain imperative however.

Reaction Score

OL
DL-
DB- Jalan Branford (Prep @ FUMA-VA) (Reading PA) Going to play @ IUP (DII) next year.
RB/WR/ATH-
ATH/K/LB/P-

Updated w/ Branford info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online