2014/2015 STARTING 5? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2014/2015 STARTING 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CONN: wouldn't be TOO sure about that "not going to happen." Also, I'd be interested in how you think Kiah "has earned the right to start,".....and in how you would contrast her "earning" to that of Tuck? Primarily seniority or some other dimensions? I'm not "anti-Kiah" at all and hope she has a fantastic senior year, for the team, for us as fans, and for herself.....but hard for me to think of someone else on the current squad who has been perceived, by staff and fans, as having under-achieved as dramatically in terms of performance and effort as Kiah. Guess that is why I'm curious about your use of the term "earned" and how you look at that.

Early in the season when both KML and Morgan Tuck were injured Kiah stepped in and did a great job. I'm not sure UCONN would have beat Maryland without her. This year Kiah has been very steady and dependable. She has also turned into one of the best defensive players in the country. She is also a tremendous rebounder. I love Morgan and she is a great player when healthy, but it is my opinion that she would be more valuable coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Has anybody (except Geno and his staff) seen all of these players play? Even one or two? Or are we seriously comparing their skills (in high school) to one another or to returning players?

In this day in age it is actually reasonably easy to see recruits play. I've seen all four incoming recruits play in games, which is what you have to see not highlight tapes And it doesn't take much to get an understanding of how players play the game and their talent level, and how that projects to the next level and particularly UConn's system.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In this day in age it is actually reasonably easy to see recruits play. I've seen all four incoming recruits play in games, which is what you have to see not highlight tapes And it doesn't take much to get an understanding of how players play the game and their talent level, and how that projects to the next level and particularly UConn's system.

I believe you when you say it's easy to see recruits and that you have done so. I also believe that the bulk of speculation on this board is based on sketchy and not always reliable news accounts, evaluations by rating services, rumor, hearsay, and daydreams, in that approximate order. N.B.: No "eye test."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Exactly. Was Battle's DPY the next year? Both Wolff and Strother were bringing much needed needed size.
All four incoming freshmen are taller than all returning guards. By your reasoning, at least one of them should start, just for their size. Or, maybe you believe that, because we have Stewart, we have enough size. Although KML is not exactly tall for the 3 slot.

Personally, I think Geno will start who he and his staff think are the five best, regardless of whether they are freshmen or not.

For those who keep track of such things, how many years has the starting five for the NCAA tournament matched the starting five at the start of the year? I'm thinking, not that many times....

Reaction Score
Early in the season when both KML and Morgan Tuck were injured Kiah stepped in and did a great job. I'm not sure UCONN would have beat Maryland without her. This year Kiah has been very steady and dependable. She has also turned into one of the best defensive players in the country. She is also a tremendous rebounder. I love Morgan and she is a great player when healthy, but it is my opinion that she would be more valuable coming off the bench.

CON; Good points. Well taken. Thanks for spelling them out.

Reaction Score

SCOT: have you already posted your evaluations of these four on another thread? If not, or even if so, would you summarize them here? Would be of great interest, I'm sure.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
But Nurse has not played within UCONN's offensive and defensive schemes. She will begin games on the bench watching unless an injury forces Geno's hand. God forbid.
I think that's it in a nutshell- I think Banks will be given every opportunity to start, as a lefty and upperclassman, and Nurse looks to be the first shot of adrenaline off the bench as a freshman. I think Gabby could have been that immediately except for the injury. If Tuck was totally healthy, I think Kiah would be subbing for Stewie and Tuck and occasionally KML if he wanted to go really big. Hopefully Tuck will be able to fill that same back up role sooner than later- and then compete for more minutes. I think they will be very slow and cautious bring her along, unfortunately. Ekmark is someone who is mature beyond her years- she will see a lot of playing time early I think behind KML!

Reaction Score
My starting 5
Pg-MoJeff
Sg-KML
Sf-Tuck (if healthy)
Pf-BS
C-Kiah S

I see this being a deep team for UCONN, thin in the post but the guard rotation will be something serious...especially if GabbyW is as good as I've seen and I wouldn't sleep on Nurse either....Achonwa's international experience was huge imo

Reaction Score
O and Ms. Ekmark I believe will also see a lot of playing time....she shoots close to KML % her sophmore year from 3....this upcoming season for you guys....this girl can SHOOT! Best shooter in the class IMO...will Kourtney Dunbar (Tenn) a close 2nd.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All four incoming freshmen are taller than all returning guards. By your reasoning, at least one of them should start, just for their size. Or, maybe you believe that, because we have Stewart, we have enough size. Although KML is not exactly tall for the 3 slot.

Personally, I think Geno will start who he and his staff think are the five best, regardless of whether they are freshmen or not.

For those who keep track of such things, how many years has the starting five for the NCAA tournament matched the starting five at the start of the year? I'm thinking, not that many times....
No, that year the height was more needed.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
O and Ms. Ekmark I believe will also see a lot of playing time....she shoots close to KML % her sophmore year from 3....this upcoming season for you guys....this girl can SHOOT! Best shooter in the class IMO...will Kourtney Dunbar (Tenn) a close 2nd.

I read about all these phenoms but I stick to my guns. Healthy Kaleena can outshoot anybody in wcbb.

Anybody.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I read about all these phenoms but I stick to my guns. Healthy Kaleena can outshoot anybody in wcbb.

Anybody.
I agree, though Maya, Elena, and Lou Samuelson are pretty close. If Ek is anywhere near them, she'll be a big contributor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kaleena is a much better all around player but when it comes to shooting alone Maggie Lucas is pretty competitive with KML.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kaleena is a much better all around player but when it comes to shooting alone Maggie Lucas is pretty competitive with KML.

. . .but not when the money is on the table.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Lucas shot 35.6% this year from 3. Way down from the 46.2% she shot last year.

KML shot 41.3% this year. 49.2% when healthy last year. Advantage: KML.

Liston is probably the most competitive with KML. 48.1% this year. 46.5% last year. With Liston gone, I think KML is the undisputed shooting queen until proven otherwise.

Reaction Score
In the interest of full disclosure, I confess to not yet seeing any of these incoming freshmen play. Therefore, it is impossible for me to evaluate them.

Since when has this prevented Yarders to state with 100% certainty exactly how a freshman's career will play out. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Anothervolfan said that Kourtney Dunbar will probably be 2nd to Kaleena this year in 3pt shooting. It's a
possibillity. Kaleena's 1st 2 years, I thought was the best shooter I had ever seen ! Almost automatic !
Also, don't forget ut has the reigning 3 pt champion from the McDonald's All America game this year, Alexa
Middleton. I do think Courtney Ekmark will be able to hold her own this coming year

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Lucas shot 35.6% this year from 3. Way down from the 46.2% she shot last year.

KML shot 41.3% this year. 49.2% when healthy last year. Advantage: KML.

Liston is probably the most competitive with KML. 48.1% this year. 46.5% last year. With Liston gone, I think KML is the undisputed shooting queen until proven otherwise.

There were strong reasons why Lucas shooting was down. Number one is there was no Bentley to help spread the court and take the pressure off of her. Defenses this year continually hammered her and face guarded her. In frustration she took many shots that she would have not taken in the past, lesser shots that KML had the luxury of passing off to Stef, Stewie, and Bria. As I said KML is a better all around ball player, however, if you give them both spot up 3s it is a toss up as to who is the better shooter. Maggie was over 94.9% (185 for 195) from the FT line.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There were strong reasons why Lucas shooting was down. Number one is there was no Bentley to help spread the court and take the pressure off of her. Defenses this year continually hammered her and face guarded her. In frustration she took many shots that she would have not taken in the past, lesser shots that KML had the luxury of passing off to Stef, Stewie, and Bria. As I said KML is a better all around ball player, however, if you give them both spot up 3s it is a toss up as to who is the better shooter. Maggie was over 94.9% (185 for 195) from the FT line.

Fair points, Icebear. I was curious about the stats anyway so I thought I'd throw them up. Lucas is a great shooter, no doubt.

Reaction Score
The bigger lineup: Stewie, KML, MoJeff, Morgan and Kiah. The smaller lineup: Stewie, KML, MoJeff, Kiah/Morgan, Saniya.

Reaction Score
The bigger lineup: Stewie, KML, MoJeff, Morgan and Kiah. The smaller lineup: Stewie, KML, MoJeff, Kiah/Morgan, Saniya.

CHRIS: and for the really, really, really small line-up, how about Jefferson, Dixon, Swain, Chong, Montgomery?

Reaction Score
I think Stewie, Moriah, KML, Kiah & Banks will start right off in November, but once they get in January, Nurse or Ekmark will see a lot of playing time! I think Williams will need more time to make a complete recovery from 2 surgeries! Banks should be all-the-way back from her surgery so she will start early because of her speed and defense and her offense should be back to where it was before the injury! Some players need a full year+ to recover from an ACL! I do think Chong will add valuable time off the bench, she showed a lot at certain times during last season to become just a bench player!
I really think, as I mentioned on another post, that Kiah Stokes is going to really shine in this her senior year. She's going to be a monster in the post! There's so many "great athletes" on the roster that Geno can be creative with all sorts of lineups!

Reaction Score
It seems to me that KML is being vastly underrated as a ballhandler. If Tuck comes back strong, she is too formidable and experienced a talent to come off the bench. If Geno moves KML to sg, as I expect, he has one big and intimidating lineup on the floor, with a lot of incoming talent to run out there to alter the tempo as needed. He sure will have many more options than he did last season. Can you say Threepeat?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It seems to me that KML is being vastly underrated as a ballhandler. If Tuck comes back strong, she is too formidable and experienced a talent to come off the bench. If Geno moves KML to sg, as I expect, he has one big and intimidating lineup on the floor, with a lot of incoming talent to run out there to alter the tempo as needed. He sure will have many more options than he did last season. Can you say Threepeat?
Too many people confuse flashy ball handling with efficient ball handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom