2014/2015 STARTING 5? | The Boneyard

2014/2015 STARTING 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it is a given who four of the starters are (Stewie, KML, MoJeff, Kiah) based on health and on-court performance. Who is the other starter? Is it Saniya with the hope that she makes that giant freshmen to sophomore jump? Or would it be BB who is more experienced? Or do they go with a healthy Tuck and rely on more ball handling from KML? Or does one of the freshmen step in?

U

UCONNfan1

Jefferson, Nurse, KML, Stewie, Stokes.

I doubt Williams will be back to 100% and ready to be a starter from day 1. But from a talent perspective she's got all the tools. Unless something dramatic happens with Chong over the summer, she will be relegated to playing time similar to Banks. Same goes for Ms. Banks - unless she does something dramatic to change her game over the summer, she will be a perennial role player.

But to answer the original question, in a word, RN....

Reaction Score
Well Geno almost always experiments for the first couple of months, so I imagine Saniya, Brianna, and Morgan will all get shots at starting. Can't see any of the freshman starting unless they are as ridiculously good as Stewie was coming in.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well Geno almost always experiments for the first couple of months
Not really.

2013-14 Geno only started other players because KML was injured. Otherwise, it would have been the same 5 every game.

2012-13 Geno stuck with the same 5 until Stewart's performance dropped and then stuck with that starting lineup until Hartley volunteered to go to the bench.

2011-12 Geno had 4 players start all the games and one started all but one.

2010-11 Geno started the same lineup 34 of 38 games with Dixon starting in place of Hartley 4 times.

2009-10 Geno started the same lineup 37-39 games. Gardler started Senior Night.

Reaction Score
Not really.

2013-14 Geno only started other players because KML was injured. Otherwise, it would have been the same 5 every game.

2012-13 Geno stuck with the same 5 until Stewart's performance dropped and then stuck with that starting lineup until Hartley volunteered to go to the bench.

2011-12 Geno had 4 players start all the games and one started all but one.

2010-11 Geno started the same lineup 34 of 38 games with Dixon starting in place of Hartley 4 times.

2009-10 Geno started the same lineup 37-39 games. Gardler started Senior Night.
So Geno always sticks with the same starting 5, except when he doesn't. Got it.

Reaction Score
Definitely won't be Tuck. It's a guard-oriented offense next year. KML will see more time at the 4 than at the 2.

Right now I'm saying Banks will start.

Reaction Score
Oh it has to be Banks..... no doubt..... Geno loves the guard spot...... and that is not the best place to stick KML......

I am interested with all the headcount for the guard spots..... and GA's proclivity for baptizing freshmen very slowly.... how much playing time will all of them get..... and who will get that coveted time..... we have 11 players .... discounting walk ons..... and 8 are guards true?

Reaction Score
I think, by mid-season, Kia Nurse will be a starter. I hope Banks is playing well enough to start in October, though.
Agree. Nurse has the ability to make this team much more difficult to defend. She has the court sense, shooting ability and defensive skills. Maybe Chong or Banks starts at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Definitely won't be Tuck. It's a guard-oriented offense next year. KML will see more time at the 4 than at the 2.

Right now I'm saying Banks will start.
I agree. He has to give Banks a good hard look. If per chance Tuck is full strength and ready she could start over Kia or at least get equal time, but I doubt she will be ready.

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse has all the tools to start from day one so unless Chong and Banks have improved dramatically over the summer she should start. I don't see Morgan starting even if she is 100% healthy mainly because she will be needed to come off the bench since she is the only other post.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As always unless forced by circumstances Geno will not start freshmen preferring them to watch before entering the game. He has skilled experienced players available to start and play at guard. Things may change by Jan. 1 but starting the season Geno goes with veterans and makes sure others get plenty of time.

Who starts will be who Geno puts on the court. DD and others noted his tendencies very well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As always unless forced by circumstances Geno will not start freshen preferring them to watch before entering the game. He has skilled experienced players available to start and play at guard. Things may change by Jan. 1 but starting the season Geno goes with veterans and makes sure others get plenty of time.

Who starts will be who Geno puts on the court. DD and others noted his tendencies very well.

I agree with you on Geno's tendencies to not start freshmen, but Kia Nurse is not your typical freshman. She already has a world of experience starting for the Canadian Team.

Reaction Score
Whoever Geno decides to put on the court.

Icebear is right. Year after year, we get posts on who will start and it is generally an exercise in futility. How many times did we get posts on Kelly or Caroline starting in the last 5 years?

It's 100% that Geno will determine who starts and who doesn't. And that's all that matters.

Reaction Score
I am surprised no one has mentioned Courtney Ekmark.
Here is what Brett McCormick of All Star Girls Report told John Altavilla :

"You just wait and see. She is going to be one of Geno Auriemma's favorite players.She reminds me of Kelly Faris with a better shot as a younger player. She is working so hard on her athleticsm and her body and
basketball success. I love her as a player. She is going to be great at UCONN."

This summer she has been playing with her brother and other AAU boys.
Her workout trainers are former NBA greats Frank Johnson & John Lucas.

IMHO I see her getting a lot of minutes. Like Geno said about Kelly, " She hardly ever makes a mistake."
It is mighty early for all the speculation, but I do see Courtney as kind of like Kelly !

Reaction Score
I see the minutes distributed more evenly this year than last. They have a much deeper bench. If Banks starts, that will leave Edwards and Chong as back up guards.
Nurse, Williams and Ekmark as wings/guards and Tuck in the middle. Do you think there's a decent chance of seeing the reserves come in as a group ? I don't remember Geno substituting in that manner in the past but given the level of the AAC this year those 6 reserves would probably be VERY competitive on their own.
Also, I think there's a real possibility of a full court press being used fairly frequently. The only problem there is that either Stewart or Stokes should be on the court in case the other team brakes the press.

Reaction Score
RVW: no, I don't think there is a decent chance he will bring in a "team" of subs, but I would really love to see him experiment with that. Chances are very slim, because what he does ain't broke, and I doubt that he'll try to fix it.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't start freshmen unless he absolutely has to, or unless they're an All-Universe talent.

So that leaves Tuck, Chong, and Banks. It won't be Tuck, because that lineup would be way too crowded in the frontcourt and not have nearly enough ballhandling.

I think it will come down to whichever of Chong or Banks performs better in October practice. Frankly, they both looked awful down the stretch last year; it's a question of which of their mitigating circumstances (Chong's youth/inexperience, Banks's injury) is most easily overcome. I suspect that with a full and normal offseason of workouts, Banks will be back to the solid contributor she was before getting hurt in 2013. Chong will improve, but I don't think she's as talented overall as Banks.

Of course, if both continue to struggle through the middle of next year, and one of the freshmen emerge as an obvious starting candidate, I would't be surprised to see Geno make the switch. But that wouldn't happen before January/February.

Reaction Score
I am surprised no one has mentioned Courtney Ekmark.
Here is what Brett McCormick of All Star Girls Report told John Altavilla :

"You just wait and see. She is going to be one of Geno Auriemma's favorite players.She reminds me of Kelly Faris with a better shot as a younger player. She is working so hard on her athleticsm and her body and
basketball success. I love her as a player. She is going to be great at UCONN."

This summer she has been playing with her brother and other AAU boys.
Her workout trainers are former NBA greats Frank Johnson & John Lucas.

IMHO I see her getting a lot of minutes. Like Geno said about Kelly, " She hardly ever makes a mistake."
It is mighty early for all the speculation, but I do see Courtney as kind of like Kelly !

You are absolutely right! I call Courtney Ekmark UCONN'S forgotten recruit. Everyone talks about how good Kia Nurse is and rightfully so, but Courtney Ekmark in her own right also has a world of potential and she has a great attitude. Like KML, Courtney is a pure shooter who will bring a smile to UCONN Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom