2013 season - which players are we most excited about? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2013 season - which players are we most excited about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't the easiest answer to this question any player who gets breathed on by TJ Weist?

I love the linebacker position, I can't wait to see how it develops with a lot of new faces in there competing...including guys like Stewart who have come home and had alot of hype.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD, I don't think that you can pin this one on PP and GDL. Weren't Hemingway and Nwojeki originally Edsall recruits that PP kept on board after arriving in January 2011? At least that's how I remember it...

EDIT: I remembered correctly:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2011/Connecticut-202

Keep in mind that PP always raves about wanting "prototype" bodies. A 260 lb. OL is not "prototype"...

they are both 6'5. either they are all fat no muscle and lazy as heck or something is wrong. they can be skips recruits for all i care. they are here under p and gdl and for some reason w/e it is, they are not gaining weight. that simply shouldnt be happening.

ever since my boy LJ left i have worried about wtf is going on in the pf and with our bball team. i see kids not getting weight up on the OL and i see kids like daniels(bball) who look like they lost weight over the summer form 150 to 147. its just scaring the crap out of me. i mean think about it. if you are a employee of uconn and u see a kid walk down the hall in year 2 of his career here and hes not a pound thicker, doesn't a red flag go up for a second in your head? or is our whole ad just that dam clueless. if so then that explains why we are sitting here letting bcu claim new england and cuse claim nyc. i mean i can't complain about it enough how stupid those 2 things are, but yet we sit here and let it go. its truly amazing. its starts with the little things. the blue tie, players weight, the old logo still being work and so on. why? becuase if we can't get thos elittle things right, were never going to get big things correct. and sure as all frucking get out, we have yet to get any little or big things correct.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
they are both 6'5. either they are all fat no muscle and lazy as heck or something is wrong. they can be skips recruits for all i care. they are here under p and gdl and for some reason w/e it is, they are not gaining weight. that simply shouldnt be happening.

ever since my boy LJ left i have worried about wtf is going on in the pf and with our bball team. i see kids not getting weight up on the OL and i see kids like daniels(bball) who look like they lost weight over the summer form 150 to 147. its just scaring the crap out of me. i mean think about it. if you are a employee of uconn and u see a kid walk down the hall in year 2 of his career here and hes not a pound thicker, doesn't a red flag go up for a second in your head? or is our whole ad just that dam clueless. if so then that explains why we are sitting here letting bcu claim new england and cuse claim nyc. i mean i can't complain about it enough how stupid those 2 things are, but yet we sit here and let it go. its truly amazing. its starts with the little things. the blue tie, players weight, the old logo still being work and so on. why? becuase if we can't get thos elittle things right, were never going to get big things correct. and sure as all frucking get out, we have yet to get any little or big things correct.

No, don't agree with you at all on this one!

If a player(s) doesn't put on weight (presumably in the form of muscle), that's supposed to be on the head coach??? That's crazy. Samra managed to put on 21 pounds since LOI and he's seeing the field. Rugg has put on 13 pounds. Hell, even Levy, who was already listed at 300 pounds at LOI has managed to put on 17 pounds since then!

This is not PP's fault, nor is it GDL's fault, nor is it Winter Storm Nemo's fault. It is what it is. Everyone else is gaining...

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Maybe not the most glamorous choice but I'd like to see Bobby Puyol come in and dominate the PK job for the next three years. We're not 5-7 last year if our kicking game was on point. We're not 12-0 either but it's a very important area that we need more consistent success in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
No, don't agree with you at all on this one!

If a player(s) doesn't put on weight (presumably in the form of muscle), that's supposed to be on the head coach??? That's crazy. Samra managed to put on 21 pounds since LOI and he's seeing the field. Rugg has put on 13 pounds. Hell, even Levy, who was already listed at 300 pounds at LOI has managed to put on 17 pounds since then!

This is not PP's fault, nor is it GDL's fault, nor is it Winter Storm Nemo's fault. It is what it is. Everyone else is gaining...

fine. then there is no reason for them to be on this roster. both can leave and thats 2 of the 5 slots we need to figure out this spring. its either they are lazy or w/e cant gain weight, or the staff isn't pushing them/feeding them or w/e on that side.

now were down to 88 ship players and we need to get to 85. who is next? i say a qb who can't throw.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
fine. then there is no reason for them to be on this roster. both can leave and thats 2 of the 5 slots we need to figure out this spring. its either they are lazy or w/e cant gain weight, or the staff isn't pushing them/feeding them or w/e on that side.

now were down to 88 ship players and we need to get to 85. who is next? i say a qb who can't throw.

What happens if Hemingway comes into fall camp somewhere between 280 and 285, with a chip on his shoulder?

This kid was recruited by a LOT of programs, so many people clearly think he has what it takes to be a really good lineman. And keep in mind that he is a redshirt sophomore. Now, you're talking about a kid with all the tools and very near the right weight, but also with 3 years of eligibility. You want to throw that away???

Look, I have no idea if he can get north of 285 lbs. or not. But to think that you would throw away a lineman with potential and 3 years of eligibility simply because they are not yet at appropriate playing weight is....well....inappropriate...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What happens if Hemingway comes into fall camp somewhere between 280 and 285, with a chip on his shoulder?

This kid was recruited by a LOT of programs, so many people clearly think he has what it takes to be a really good lineman. And keep in mind that he is a redshirt sophomore. Now, you're talking about a kid with all the tools and very near the right weight, but also with 3 years of eligibility. You want to throw that away???

Look, I have no idea if he can get north of 285 lbs. or not. But to think that you would throw away a lineman with potential and 3 years of eligibility simply because they are not yet at appropriate playing weight is....well....inappropriate...

if he hits camp this spring at that weight or bigger, then the weight issue isnt a issue. that simple. but keeping a kid at 265 on the roster considering what were trying to do here doesn't make sense to me.

right now what hes been listed at for 2 years? issue

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
if he hits camp this spring at that weight or bigger, then the weight issue isnt a issue. that simple. but keeping a kid at 265 on the roster considering what were trying to do here doesn't make sense to me.

right now what hes been listed at for 2 years? issue

To this point, he's only put on 7 pounds in two years (since LOI). Obviously that's not good enough to see the field, since he signed at 255. I'm not sure how recently the uconnhuskies.com weights were updated, but again, I'll be interested to see what he comes in at when August rolls around. And with the potential that the kid had, I don't see any reason to give up on him yet. We'll see what shakes out over the next couple of months...

Reaction Score
send them to the jungle, I drank a couple of pounds of beer from partying there. I only been to Uconn a few times, but they had some good stuff :D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
send them to the jungle, I drank a couple of pounds of beer from partying there. I only been to Uconn a few times, but they had some good stuff :D

I'm thinking that D.P. Dough might be enough to put him over the top...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

more like if i was the coach he would have a pizza sent to him at dinner every day at his dorm and a alarm clock for 6am lifing every morning. but hey, who knows what p is doing. maybe hes feeding him diet pills becuase gdl said so.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that D.P. Dough might be enough to put him over the top...
Yeah DP dough, i was going to write that, but I used to party at URI and thought it was only there. I was a mess back then, still am. Send the football team some DP Dough, that place was great..

Reaction Score
market that with blue wrapping paper, are they a sponsor of Uconn, i suppose so if it's on campus. Tell P on his next presser to wear a freaking blue tie and eat some D.P. dough Uconn style. Sorry hijacked this thread with pizza place, I'm just hungry and stuck in a blizzard. Back to the team!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
OK, I was on campus when we first got cable TV in the dorms and the "fast food" place Jonathan's just opened. That seemed monumental back then!

Forgive me for asking what DP Dough is. A pizza place I assume?

Reaction Score
OK, I was on campus when we first got cable TV in the dorms and the "fast food" place Jonathan's just opened. That seemed monumental back then!

the place for the underweight lineman to pack on some pounds, late nite spot to help with the hangover lol.

Reaction Score
formerlurker- where do you come up with the statement that our kicking was a problem last year and Puyol is the answer? That is totally off the mark. First of all, that was the least of our offensive problems. We couldn't move the ball because of GDL's incompetence and other reasons. Second, it's obvoius you have not seen him kick.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
the place for the underweight lineman to pack on some pounds, late nite spot to help with the hangover lol.

That's what Ted's Grinders and Store 24 were for back in my day. Or Thumper's happy hour with the free buffet and nickel drinks

I fcking miss college and the late 80's early 90's!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
formerlurker- where do you come up with the statement that our kicking was a problem last year and Puyol is the answer? That is totally off the mark. First of all, that was the least of our offensive problems. We couldn't move the ball because of GDL's incompetence and other reasons. Second, it's obvoius you have not seen him kick.

as much as i dont agree with who was in charge right now, because of our kicking we wern't in a bowl game. 6-6 was there for the taking and we should have practiced 15 more days and got beat by some mac school.

i would still have the exact same opinion of the program but p and gdl improved last year to this past fall by 1 game and a bit better talent developing. our team wins 8 games with any other OC here instead of gdl.

we have a tuff schedule next fall with mich and md. we basically play 3 b10 games and 3 acc games. were goin got be more develped and with a new OC we may have something. we shall see.

but this past fall the temple game hurts just as bad as gdl running the ball up the middle. it costs us 2 straight years on nothing bowl wise and a serious momentum pause and so much more. if BP can either push or win the kicker job from CC is his sr year, then that best for the program.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

If you think Chad's 14 of 21 FG conversion rate is acceptable then we disagree. Re-read my post and see that I said I hope Puyol comes in and wins the job for the next three years. Then let me know where I said that Puyol is the answer. Also, although the sample is very small, I think most of us on here HAVE seen him kick. 1-1 on FG's, 2-2 XP's.

After ALL that, read my post again where I said the kicking game might not be our most glaring problem but is still an area of concern.

Then go punch yourself in the face.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Smallwood & Joe Williams both get another year better

pj

Reaction Score
I'm really not that excited by individual players for the most part, but very eager to see how units perform:
- OL: Can players step up and establish an effective unit? I expect improvements but I don't expect this to be a strong unit.
- TEs: We're replacing both TEs and this is a spot where a freshman might play. I'm not expecting much this year from TEs, Fuchs and Myers probably need at least a year each, but it will be interesting to see if McQuillan and Hansson can perform.
- WRs: Geremy Davis looked good and the rest mediocre. Dhameer Bradley provides an infusion of much-needed speed and should see the field. Can these guys get separation from defenders in Weist's offense? They didn't do it much last year. If Lemelle can play right away he could be a weapon -- most college-ready receiver we've had in a while.
- RBs: Hoping for big improvements in the running game. Really, really like Josh Marriner -- he might get playing time as a freshman. McCombs we know what we get, he needs an effective o-line to be successful. No idea what to make of the other RBs.
- FB: Time for someone to step up. They've recruited a lot of FBs the last two years. Not sold on Reuben Frank.
- QB: Whitmer's the guy this year I think. Hope the protection is good and concussions don't recur. Can he cut down his INTs?
- DL: I trust this unit against the run but wonder if it can get penetration and pressure the QB. Hope Joseph comes back 100% form his Achilles.
- LB: Strength of the defense, will be fun to see younger guys step up.
- CB: Weakness of the defense, will be fun to see younger guys step up.
- S: Strength of the defense, should have good depth and be a training ground for some young guys.
- Special teams: Will Puyol step up? New special teams coach -- will this unit be a strength? It should have a higher talent level than in the past.
- Coaching: Will be interesting to see Weist's offense, Hughes's defense, GDL's o-line, and P's clock management.
- Recruiting: They took a big jump up in the last month of 2013 recruiting, partly due to a relaxation in academic standards which let them bring in some questionable students. The Weist and Buggs hirings added two quality recruiters to the staff. I expect a terrific class in 2014, although it may not show higher in the ratings due to small size (15-20), but average player rating should be high and I suspect we get a 4* player or two out of Connecticut.

To me this feels like a rebuilding year on the field but I hope to see the groundwork laid for a terrific 2014.

Reaction Score
Recruiting: They took a big jump up in the last month of 2013 recruiting, partly due to a relaxation in academic standards which let them bring in some questionable students

PJ - I know HFD mentioned this, but do we have any proof that a change occurred other than speculation that PP complained to WM in their end of season discussions? We have no clue what these kids actual academic situations are/were?

Edit PJ - not meant to be a flame just a relative discussion point.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
PJ - I know HFD mentioned this, but do we have any proof that a change occurred other than speculation that PP complained to WM in their end of season discussions? We have no clue what these kids actual academic situations are/were?

Great question. Could explain how this kid just got an offer:

3590702_249px.jpg

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

DP Dough used to be in the same plaza on I-195 with Friendly's and The Sugar Shack (both of which are gone, I believe), across the street from EO Smith. I think that DP Dough has survived, however.

The Sugar Shack would have been a fantastic place to beef up linemen as well. I used to love going in there late at night for a donut and to see all of the old men's and women's bball players (they had a gigantic photo of Bascom). Good times...

pj

Reaction Score

It is speculative but in January we did get a brisk rate of commitments from elite prospects considered to be academically questionable, after turning away a number of academically questionable prospects in the fall. It does look like something changed at about the same time GDL was pushed out of the OC position. It seems like both changes must have been a result of the post-season review conducted by WM and PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom