2013 season - which players are we most excited about? | The Boneyard

2013 season - which players are we most excited about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm a long time lurker and upstate NY transplant - turned Uconn fan.

Looking ahead, name a few players you are excited about for 2013 and why.

• Boyle. His arm is indeed impressive. Seems underrated by the recruiting services. I hope he redshirts this year and let Whitmer and Cochran duke it out and then Boyle will challenge these two in 2014. I am surprised the Boneyard isnt a bit more excited about this kid.
  • Lemelle. Smooth and fluid with a 5th gear after he catches the ball. Hope he gets playing time right away. Its good for recruiting for some prospects to see that you can play as a frosh if you are ready and can contribute.
  • Noel Thomas. I liked his defensive highlights more than offense. I trust the staff to determine his future position, however if I were him I would want to follow Uconn's steady history of producing NFL secondary players. Let him toy with the offense this spring and if its not lighning in a bottle, try to encourage him to switch to CB.
  • To me the most mysterious player is Joe Williams. Why didnt this guy see the field last year - did our esteemed CT sport media ever get an answer?
  • Graham Stewart and the new LB corp. Cant wait to see how the permform. I am optmistic that they will meet expectations by the end of the 2014 season. We know Smallwood has the potential to duplicate Sio Moore's career.
Overall, this is Uconn's best recruiting class by any measure. The only miss was not picking up a Juco DT, OL and a second RB....however these are nitpicks. Now its time to coach it up so that talent isnt wasted.

Reaction Score
Smallwood will end up being the best linebacker in UCONN to this point imo. Sio and Jory are big losses, but it seems like there are a lot of kids to fight for those spots.

If Boyle does not redshirt it means Whitmer got hurt and Cochran wasn't ready.........or Boyle is just a flat out fantastic QB who is ready as a true frosh.

We are badly in need to a RB who weighs in at something north of a buck and a half.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Joe Williams weighs 201 per the unreliable team roster and Clax 250.

I agree, we need a bowling ball or two in the backfield. GDL's inexplicable stubborness to use Joe Williams and even Clax as a frosh is 50% of the reason he is no longer the offensive coordinator....the struggles of the OL being the other 50%.

Perhaps I should have included Clax as the most mysterious player on the roster.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to see Cochran, with another year in the system, push Whitmer for a chance at the starting position. To be fair, he had hardly been with us at all during last year's Spring Game and by all accounts he's got a good head on his shoulders, so a year studying the playbook and getting to know the players has got to help.

I'm also excited for less turnover at OL, whether it's Mateos or Cruz, and Bennett being back. Hoping for a lot more consistency out of OL. It all starts in the trenches, and if these guys can improve significantly, I like our chances.

I'm interested to also see some other RB's get a chance to play, whether it's DeLorenzo, Williams, Clax. And another year older and wiser out of McCombs probably can't hurt.

The WR corps is another year experienced as well. The guys we lost (Williams, Smith) were good, but not great. Geremy Davis showed flashes last year, as did Shakim Philips. Interested to see if they're ready to step up.

As others have stated, Yawin Smallwood is a beast and I suspect he's going to continue to impress. Interested to see how Graham Stewart fares a year after a torn pectoral muscle. He was a huge prospect who transferred from Florida.

As per usual, I am cautiously optimistic. There's potential. Whether or not Pasqualoni squanders it, well... most on this board probably think he will, but I am holding out a small sliver of hope because I'm an idiot. ;)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm excited to see Cochran, with another year in the system, push Whitmer for a chance at the starting position. To be fair, he had hardly been with us at all during last year's Spring Game and by all accounts he's got a good head on his shoulders, so a year studying the playbook and getting to know the players has got to help.

I'm also excited for less turnover at OL, whether it's Mateos or Cruz, and Bennett being back. Hoping for a lot more consistency out of OL. It all starts in the trenches, and if these guys can improve significantly, I like our chances.

I'm interested to also see some other RB's get a chance to play, whether it's DeLorenzo, Williams, Clax. And another year older and wiser out of McCombs probably can't hurt.

The WR corps is another year experienced as well. The guys we lost (Kash, Williams, Smith) were good, but not great. Geremy Davis showed flashes last year, as did Shakim Philips. Interested to see if they're ready to step up.

As others have stated, Yawin Smallwood is a beast and I suspect he's going to continue to impress. Interested to see how Graham Stewart fares a year after a torn pectoral muscle. He was a huge prospect who transferred from Florida.

As per usual, I am cautiously optimistic. There's potential. Whether or not Pasqualoni squanders it, well... most on this board probably think he will, but I am holding out a small sliver of hope because I'm an idiot. ;)

I would agree with most of this...but...Kash left before last year...and I think Davis more than showed flashes last year. He was very strong. Phillips I agree showed flashes. There is talent at WR now.

I am most curious to see what kind of D we play next year. Will it be a continuation of D Brown...or back to Randy style (we need a GIF of the Charlotte Randy picture dancing to PSY)? My guess...we can't be as aggressive until we feel confident in the new corners. I would think it would be somewhere in between Brown and Edsall.

Reaction Score
If we are just talking players who have yet to see the field:

Cochran
Stewart
Lamelle (Potentially a star)
Mariner (fingers crossed hoping he's our next star rb)
Guttierrez
Rugg
Samra
Clax
Fuch's (outside shot of playing because of his height)
Mikal Myers
Omaine Stephens (edge rusher?)

Reaction Score
I would agree with most of this...but...Kash left before last year...and I think Davis more than showed flashes last year. He was very strong. Phillips I agree showed flashes. There is talent at WR now.

I am most curious to see what kind of D we play next year. Will it be a continuation of D Brown...or back to Randy style (we need a GIF of the Charlotte Randy picture dancing to PSY)? My guess...we can't be as aggressive until we feel confident in the new corners. I would think it would be somewhere in between Brown and Edsall.

Man, I drink too much. (Re: Kash). Haha.

Just kidding. As long as nobody's had an intervention, I consider it a pass to keep going.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Shak and G Davis in an offense that 1) can throw the ball and 2) will throw the ball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Smallwood will end up being the best linebacker in UCONN to this point imo. Sio and Jory are big losses, but it seems like there are a lot of kids to fight for those spots.

If Boyle does not redshirt it means Whitmer got hurt and Cochran wasn't ready.........or Boyle is just a flat out fantastic QB who is ready as a true frosh.

We are badly in need to a RB who weighs in at something north of a buck and a half.
McCummings?

Reaction Score
  • Curious about Andreas Knappe. He should be a little more mature than most redshirt freshmen so hopefully he sees some time out there.
  • Whitmer. Want to see if he was just a fill-in or not.
  • Want to see who replaces Nick Williams on the return team. Geremy Davis? Foxx? McCombs?
  • Joe Williams. Be interesting to see what he looks like after a winter of strength & conditioning training. Hopefully he shares equal billing with Lyle or close to it. Does he pick up any speed over winter?
  • Puyol. Is he the future of our kicking team or not? Coach P said something about redshirting him this year cause he was needed at the end of the season last year. Want to see how that plays out.
  • Lyle McCombs. Does he become our new return man? How much does he bulk up over winter?
  • Bennett. Can he stay on the field the whole year and if so can he regain that half step he needs to seal off the QB's back side?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
McCummings?

Intriguing, but hard to see a pure running back built like him with thin hips and lanky 6'2" frame. But who knows, he can run with the ball...

As for kick returns, seems like this is Foxx's best opportunity to see playing time.

The more I think about it, if we have something with Clax, it could go a long way in helping the 2013 offense. We need something with punch to counter the scat back weight of McCombs. We someone who stings the opposing LBs...grinds them down by Q4.

Reaction Score
I expect Myers to make an contribution. Myers, Shamar and Smallwood should be formidable in the middle of the defense.

I want to see Williams get some carries. It's is mysterious why he didn't last year.

I want to see all the QBs.

Reaction Score

Weight has nothing to do with it. We need another back to emerge, I don't care if he is 160 or 250 pounds.

Reaction Score
In a nutshell, I'm excited to see anyone who dons a UConn uniform. What will REALLY get me excited though, will be offensive production & being stalwarts on defense.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Weight has nothing to do with it. We need another back to emerge, I don't care if he is 160 or 250 pounds.
Agree, not the weight but they have to be a good fit behind a line that can impose it's will on the defense.

They also need some time to learn the blocking scheme so they can understand where the holes will develop based upon linemen completing blocks, and where that will put the defenders.

easy-cheesy.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lee, willimas, stewart and myers

Reaction Score
bradley hands down, i think he will be what we thought nick williams would of been as a slot receiver, making game breaking plays. I think he starts as a true fr. Like to see what guitterez can do, believe he is the 4th wr as of now.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The corners will be the #1 position battle this year.

B Jones (i assume he will move from safety)
Mack
Stevenson
Clark
J Williams
Replacing BWW and Gratz is a HUGE deal. If the guys we bring in can man cover with some consistency, then we can play an attacking style. If not, we will be in a lot of "soft zone" like we saw before brown got here.

Joe Williams and Clax will be interesting as well. Cincy always used more than 1 back, so i assume we will too. Ive heard that the staff loves Clax as a back. I want to see Williams in the open field.

TE's: With RG and JDel gone, this is another spot totally up for grabs.
McQuillan
Hansson (hopefully he has his academics in order now)
Fuchs (I ind of expect him to play as a frosh)
Might even see one of the other 2 frosh getting time. Wiest used multiple TE sets at Cincy often.

Battle for Second DE (along with JJ)
BBS
Norris
Willman
Will Louis or Adeyemi ever play ???
This will be big for our defense

Battle for Second Safety (with Ty Brown)
Assuming Jones goes to CB, we have:
Adams
Floyd
Lee
Melifonwu
E Marder
We saw adams last season. He was decent.
The staff is high on floyd. Im surprised we havent seen Lee out there yet.
This will be another big factor in how much our defense as a whole can attack.

The Freshmen Wide Receivers
Lemelle
Bradley
Thomas
I could see all 3 getting time this year.

The other WR's - Who will start/play most ?
Phillips & Davis will play a lot barring injuries (or someone really stepping up), but last year we rotated 6 WR's. This will be interesting.
Abrams, Green, and Foxx. Will they play over the freshmen ??? Will Foxx return kicks/punts ???

Second DT (with Stephen)
Pruitt
Myers
McBryde
Campenni
Knappe
Who gets the most time ???
Will Pruitt continue to play DE as he did a bit in 012 ???
Is Myers as good as advertised ???

This is starting to get exciting

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Intriguing, but hard to see a pure running back built like him with thin hips and lanky 6'2" frame. But who knows, he can run with the ball...

As for kick returns, seems like this is Foxx's best opportunity to see playing time.

The more I think about it, if we have something with Clax, it could go a long way in helping the 2013 offense. We need something with punch to counter the scat back weight of McCombs. We someone who stings the opposing LBs...grinds them down by Q4.
If he gets squeezed out of the two deep for QB, and I think that he will, then you need to figure out how to use him. I like bringing him in to run downhill and and throwing in the occassional throwing play for him. Just a thought though.

Reaction Score
Based on J Silver's latest article Richard Levy deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Per Silver coaches and players are raving about him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Based on J Silver's latest article Richard Levy deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Per Silver coaches and players are raving about him.

I was just going to comment on the fact that I am really excited to see the offensive line play this year:

Bennett - Back for a sixth year
Greene, Friend, Bullock, Mateas - All back and hopefully a year stronger and faster.
Cruz, Samra - Will definitely have benefited from their game time last year.
Levy - A lot of high praise coming for this kid.
Rugg, Gifford - Two young linemen with a lot of potential.
Schafenacker - I like all three OL recruits, but from what I have read, some believe that he might actually be ready to see the field as a true freshman. So hard to do as a lineman, though.

For two years, I was waiting for Hemingway and Nwojeki to pan out. They were highly thought of as recruits, but man are they still pretty light (if you can believe the weight listings). Maybe they will break out and shock me.

In any event, I think that there will be a lot more to be excited about with this year's offensive line. I think there is a lot of "up-side" to this OL, and it will also be interesting to see what Weist wants to do with it...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the weight thing still pisses me off. p and gdl wanted lighter quicker ol to do the scheme. fine go for it. what they dont account for in this is that there scheme for 1995 was vs players who were not as jacked or big back then. 280 is now 310. so they have kids sitting at weights that are 1995 great but not 2013 great. the sooner they get that thru there thick ass mother frucking heads the better. the next time u watch a uconn game and say "no push on the ol", just remember warde watched that also and couldn't put 2 and 2 togetehr like this stupid rant just did.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
the weight thing still pisses me off. p and gdl wanted lighter quicker ol to do the scheme. fine go for it. what they dont account for in this is that there scheme for 1995 was vs players who were not as jacked or big back then. 280 is now 310. so they have kids sitting at weights that are 1995 great but not 2013 great. the sooner they get that thru there thick ass mother frucking heads the better. the next time u watch a uconn game and say "no push on the ol", just remember warde watched that also and couldn't put 2 and 2 togetehr like this stupid rant just did.

HFD, I don't think that you can pin this one on PP and GDL. Weren't Hemingway and Nwojeki originally Edsall recruits that PP kept on board after arriving in January 2011? At least that's how I remember it...

EDIT: I remembered correctly:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2011/Connecticut-202

Keep in mind that PP always raves about wanting "prototype" bodies. A 260 lb. OL is not "prototype"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom