#2 Notre Dame @ #3 Louisville (poll & GAME THREAD) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

#2 Notre Dame @ #3 Louisville (poll & GAME THREAD)

#2 Notre Dame @ #3 Louisville (pick the winner poll)

• Notre Dame wins

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Louisville wins

Votes: 65 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Since I consider most Boneyard posters pretty basketball-savvy, I’ve long been surprised that Jeff Walz’ coaching slills are generally held in rather little regard here. While he’s certainly had, in previous years, some major star players, he’s never, in my opinion, had the team balance he now boasts. In that regard, what impressed me most about the blowout was not the lights-out shooting, which never prevails game in and game out, but everything else: Defense was spectacular, great spacing and ball movement, lots of speed, pace and aggression. Kinda reminded me of teams coached by someone we know pretty well.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Since I consider most Boneyard posters pretty basketball-savvy, I’ve long been surprised that Jeff Walz’ coaching slills are generally held in rather little regard here. While he’s certainly had, in previous years, some major star players, he’s never, in my opinion, had the team balance he now boasts. In that regard, what impressed me most about the blowout was not the lights-out shooting, which never prevails game in and game out, but everything else: Defense was spectacular, great spacing and ball movement, lots of speed, pace and aggression. Kinda reminded me of teams coached by someone we know pretty well.

Geno was very complimentary of Jeff on the job he did with Angel. Plus, in watching the game last night, it was clear that this is not just a run and gun offense - there were times they slowed it down and ran plays successfully The looked well coached and played pretty good defense, although it was against a ND team that looked like they gave up after the first 5 minutes.

Jeff (or his staff) had a solid game plan and the team executed. I think they got under ND skin early and threw them off their game. Mabrey - who we know has a short fuse - was thrown for a loop early and the rest of the team followed pretty quickly.

Looking forward the the 12th.

Reaction Score
You can point to the Baylor loss to UCLA if you want. The circumstances surrounding that game were highly peculiar.

If Baylor had just lost to Louisville like that everyone would be saying that they don't be long in the top 10. Like I said, ND is consistently given more credit than they deserve by UCONN fans, I suspect because of the longing for the Big East days when they had a real challenger in the league.
It isn’t UConn fans who vote in the AP and coaches polls.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This was clearly an outlier game for Louisville, but it brings up another point: we have a number of wins over teams that were ranked highly when we played them, but many of those wins don't look nearly as impressive now.

#10 Stanford: now unranked
#20 Cal: now #24
#15 Maryland: now #11, but lost and will drop
#5 UCLA: now #14
#3 ND: now #2, but lost and will drop

Basically, the ND game was our only real test so far, and we looked awful for 3 quarters before the light came on.

@ Texas, @SC, and vs. Louisville will be as tough or tougher.

The light came on when Durr and Hines-Allen left the game.

Reaction Score
Yes last night was the best game I’ve ever seen L’ville play. It was 35 minutes of dominance. However, the last 3 years have been mostly poorly played basketball with the team showing major lapses even when they win. Sweet 16 22 point trouncing from Dayton. ( the year Dayton led UConn by 1 at halftime). Second round loss to DePaul at HOME and a 33 point Sweet 16 massacre at the hands of Baylor last year. Team cohesion and chemistry were lacking and it wasn’t entertaining basketball. They looked consistently poorly coached on offense. That’s why the Ohio State game and the game verse ND were so important to see this team break out and play good ball in big games. Very happy for Walz and every player.
Walz now 2-12 verse McGraw and
0-16 verse Geno. Combined 2-28. But you know what? Doesn’t matter anymore! 100-67!!! Next!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Waltz, like Mulkey and Freeze, is a better coach than some posters on this board recognize. It sounds like the game was an absolute tail kicking. Waltz has pulled off some big wins during his time and has also underachieved with a few rosters given how well Louisville has recruited for several years. Maybe this is the team to silence some critics the past few years. ND is better than the score indicated and while injuries have perhaps left the Irish too thin for a FF or ACC title I would not want to go up against the Irish when all cylinders are firing.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What was learned from this game is you must have a good ball handleling point guard and ball handlers are so important. ND does not have one right now. By having Mabrey handle the ball your putting alot of pressure on a great shooter and wearing her out. Mabrey was not quick enough against LVille. The defense wore her out and ate he up. We will see where ND goes from here.

Geno wants another ball handleing guard. After watching the ND LVille game you can see why. Coombs looks like she could be the one but she hasnt emerged yet. Bent has been doing a fine job but doesnt see prime time minutes therefore I dont think Geno is considering her. Next season will be tuff too. CW comes in as a point guard without any college experience. Kia graduates and we need to fill that position. Somebody else has to step up over the next few months and it is between Bent and Coombs.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion, but I don't buy that this game had anything to do with coaching. If I did I would have to argue that MM is a terrible coach and she is not. The disparity in the game was more to do with a lack of effort and motivation on the ND players. Have you ever seen such lethargy and unwillingness to compete, I haven't. You can blame the coach, if this was what was happening on the regular, but this was just bat crazy. Meanwhile I am banging my head a against a wall on the west coast Head bang

Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion, but I don't buy that this game had anything to do with coaching. If I did I would have to argue that MM is a terrible coach and she is not. The disparity in the game was more to do with a lack of effort and motivation on the ND players. Have you ever seen such lethargy and unwillingness to compete, I haven't. You can blame the coach, if this was what was happening on the regular, but this was just bat crazy. Meanwhile I am banging my head a against a wall on the west coast Head bang
Completely agree. I commented previously that IMHO the ND players did not come to play. They got 2 quick threes, but after Louisville started having success, ND just "folded." Offense was sluggish, defense nearly non existent. Jackie Young tried to put the team on her back, but too little to sway the game. Not a normal performance by ND... or Louisville for that matter.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Almost from the beginning, the body language of the ND players was poor. They seemed almost indifferent to being defeated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom