2-deep out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2-deep out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a good call with Norris. I fully expected him to be on the 2 deep.

It's most likely one of two things - not physically ready after the shoulder problems, or they are trying to get him his red shirt year this year, after having to go to him on the depth chart last year. Frank is the surprise there for me. I hope he can hit better on that side of the ball, than he did on the offensive side, and apparently he can - since he's on the roster.

Reaction Score
Surprised at:
Levy OL
Norris DE

Walsh wow!!
Lemelle must be the real deal. I hope that we see him at receiver as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
??? Uh uh - no way. That guy - is the most important replacement going into 2013 if you ask me. Catching punts is one of the most, if not THE most difficult thing to do on a football field, let alone returning it and we've been lucky to have some incredibly reliable players there, without them, we are a lot worse than we've been in recent years. If the true freshmen has the best ability to catch punts through camp - then you play him. he's listed at 160, so he better be able to run like a deer, because if he gets hit by a division 1 linebacker running down on a kick - he's in trouble - and you know what - sometimes you want the returner to have to run for their life. LOL.

I believe I was fairly clear in my opinion. You are free to disagree, which it appears you do...

What is the delta between Lemelle's ability and the #2 (I haven't a clue, do you?)? If it is a wide gap, then I understand the argument. However as a true freshman, he better be an Ernie Davis type player before I would deny him the opportunity to grow into his body and position. Also I seem to recall that for every good return Nick Williams had last year, he had an awful lot of fair catches as well...and on balls where he had quite a bit of room to return. If the PR's job is only to be a target for the opposing teams punter, I'd prefer someone else be the fair catch machine.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's most likely one of two things - not physically ready after the shoulder problems, or they are trying to get him his red shirt year this year, after having to go to him on the depth chart last year. Frank is the surprise there for me. I hope he can hit better on that side of the ball, than he did on the offensive side, and apparently he can - since he's on the roster.

I don't buy the redshirt reasoning, especially after what you just said about Lemelle. If the True Sophomore has the best combination of ability to rush the passer, contain the play, and/or stop the run (over an actual season, not just camp) - then you play him.

Here's hoping he just needs a little more time to recover.

Reaction Score
saving you the long explanation - the ability to field punts, and not let them drop, in and of itself is a WIN in field position battle, and over the course of an evenly matched game, can often mean the difference between having significant scoring chances, and not having them.

A fair catch, IMO, is better than letting it bounce dead randomly - and a punt is a dead ball, until it's touched - and therein is the risk/benefit. Because if you don't touch it, it's dead, as soon as touch it, it's live again. (In lower levels of football around the country, recent years, there's been a significant movement where teams simply don't punt anymore, and play 4 downs all the time, and others don't field punts and rush 11 men on returns. Hasn't really made it's way into top level college or pros)

As for returns, any positive yardage on a return, is gravy, IMO. Just catch the ball, and maintain possession without giving up ground, if you can advance - wonderful - not necessary. This is all my philosophy only.

I firmly believe, that a guy that can field a ball (meaning catch punts) is invaluable, and it's a skill that is completely independent of age/height/weight/experience. You can either do it well, and hone the basic skills, or you can't.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the redshirt reasoning, especially after what you just said about Lemelle. If the True Sophomore has the best combination of ability to rush the passer, contain the play, and/or stop the run (over an actual season, not just camp) - then you play him.

Here's hoping he just needs a little more time to recover.

Read what I just wrote about punts, and maybe it will make sense to you my reasoning - even if you don't agree with it. playing defensive line - there is a lot more credence to experience on the football field and age, than when it comes to fielding punts IMO. Norris played as a freshmen, because we had nobody else, and he was good enough, (and BTW - I've been preaching for a long time, that every recruit that comes in, needs to have that profile) but in a case like his, especially with a player with so much potential, if there are players in front (which there just might be) that can play equally or better, you put the red shirt on him, and keep him in a glass container marked - break in case of emergency.

it's acutally more likely that he's just not ready to beat out the competition in front of him after shoulder surgery.

Husky25

Reaction Score
saving you the long explanation - the ability to field punts, and not let them drop, in and of itself is a WIN in field position battle, and over the course of an evenly matched game, can often mean the difference between having significant scoring chances, and not having them.

A fair catch, IMO, is better than letting it bounce dead randomly - and a punt is a dead ball, until it's touched - and therein is the risk/benefit. Because if you don't touch it, it's dead, as soon as touch it, it's live again. (In lower levels of football around the country, recent years, there's been a significant movement where teams simply don't punt anymore, and play 4 downs all the time, and others don't field punts and rush 11 men on returns. Hasn't really made it's way into top level college or pros)

As for returns, any positive yardage on a return, is gravy, IMO. Just catch the ball, and maintain possession without giving up ground, if you can advance - wonderful - not necessary. This is all my philosophy only.

I firmly believe, that a guy that can field a ball (meaning catch punts) is invaluable, and it's a skill that is completely independent of age/height/weight/experience. You can either do it well, and hone the basic skills, or you can't.

1) Not my point. 2) Surely Lemelle is not the only person on the team who returned punts in high school.
All things being equal (even slightly skewed in Lemelle's favor), I'd rather he redshirt. If he proves to be all-world, then I will gladly have my humble pie with a side of crow. That being said, I prefer it a la mode, if you please.;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Read what I just wrote about punts, and maybe it will make sense to you my reasoning - even if you don't agree with it. playing defensive line - there is a lot more credence to experience on the football field and age, than when it comes to fielding punts IMO. Norris played as a freshmen, because we had nobody else, and he was good enough, (and BTW - I've been preaching for a long time, that every recruit that comes in, needs to have that profile) but in a case like his, especially with a player with so much potential, if there are players in front (which there just might be) that can play equally or better, you put the red shirt on him, and keep him in a glass container marked - break in case of emergency.

it's acutally more likely that he's just not ready after shoulder surgery.

I posted my response before yours was up...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1) Not my point. 2) Surely Lemelle is not the only person on the team who returned punts in high school.
All things being equal (even slightly skewed in Lemelle's favor), I'd rather he redshirt. If he proves to be all-world, then I will gladly have my humble pie with a side of crow. That being said, I prefer it a la mode, if you please.;)

Yep, thats why he better have an impact..... And btw, guess this is some evidence to support the notion that PP is going to do what he can to win now.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yep, thats why he better have an impact..... And btw, guess this is some evidence to support the notion that PP is going to do what he can to win now.
True. If his contract expires organically, Incoming true freshmen are only juniors at worst and he will see his first class of redshirts graduate. Let the next guy worry about lack of quality Div. 1 talent.:)

Reaction Score
+1 He has pushed all the chips on to the table to win this year. You can write off whatever happened the last two.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Man down - next one needs to step in. I'm confident in the depth of this 2013 roster. I can honestly say, that I"ve never felt as comfortable with a full roster going into a season in 1A football in 10 years, as I do this season. We've been on eggshells with depth forever, and I don't think that's the case now. Time will tell if I'm right or not. Adams will be back when he's ready, and he'll compete. Adams out, Obi's in. Use the force.

Which is what you said last year on the way to 5-7.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Lemelle is going to play receiver too. They don't only play 4.

Reaction Score
if Lemelle is one of the top 5 or 6 WRs, and top 2 or 3 at returns, he shouldn't redshirt. If he can help the team win you play him. Why sit him for a year when you never know what next year will bring? For all we know he'll be such a stud he leaves for the NFL after 3 years, or maybe he'll be homesick and want to transfer closer to home after this season. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so you have to play for this season.

When did Frank move to DE?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if Lemelle is one of the top 5 or 6 WRs, and top 2 or 3 at returns, he shouldn't redshirt. If he can help the team win you play him. Why sit him for a year when you never know what next year will bring? For all we know he'll be such a stud he leaves for the NFL after 3 years, or maybe he'll be homesick and want to transfer closer to home after this season. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so you have to play for this season.

When did Frank move to DE?

I generally support redshirting. Least important at RB and WR. If those guys can contribute get them on the field.

Reaction Score
I agree with the comments on Norris, thought for sure he would be on the two deep with his speed. I was fully expecting to see "Lutrus 2.0" with Walsh. I would of put money on him being converted to LB. Great to see him make such an impact out of the gate!!

Reaction Score
I agree with the comments on Norris, thought for sure he would be on the two deep with his speed. I was fully expecting to see "Lutrus 2.0" with Walsh. I would of put money on him being converted to LB. Great to see him make such an impact out of the gate!!

Our depth @ LB is much greater than @ FB. I see Walsh as Shermanator2 (not to put that label burden on him). Great set of hands as well. I would be very, very surprised if he was converted to LB.

Reaction Score
??? Uh uh - no way. That guy - is the most important replacement going into 2013 if you ask me. Catching punts is one of the most, if not THE most difficult thing to do on a football field, let alone returning it and we've been lucky to have some incredibly reliable players there, without them, we are a lot worse than we've been in recent years. If the true freshmen has the best ability to catch punts through camp - then you play him. he's listed at 160, so he better be able to run like a deer, because if he gets hit by a division 1 linebacker running down on a kick - he's in trouble - and you know what - sometimes you want the returner to have to run for their life. LOL.

He's (Lemelle) the same size and weight as Tavon Austin was as a starting freshman.

Reaction Score
Our depth @ LB is much greater than @ FB. I see Walsh as Shermanator2 (not to put that label burden on him). Great set of hands as well. I would be very, very surprised if he was converted to LB.

I was thinking that due to his speed. He could range quite well in the flat with his quickness. We really don't use a FB in our scheme, though Coach Weist could change that this year.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that due to his speed. He could range quite well in the flat with his quickness. We really don't use a FB in our scheme, though Coach Weist could change that this year.

Gotcha.

If the open practice last Saturday is any indication - change w/ the FB usage is in the wind. I think MW scored four times (2 rushing/2 receiving) on short yardage/red zone drills.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gotcha.

If the open practice last Saturday is any indication - change w/ the FB usage is in the wind. I think MW scored four times (2 rushing/2 receiving) on short yardage/red zone drills.

Yeah, maybe both Walsh and Clax can bring the sting that has been missing from the backfield. I look forward to them doing it all; picking up the blitz, making holes, catching dump off passes and lowering their shoulders to pick up first downs. Maybe later this season we'll look back and say reliable and effective FB play is the biggest difference on the offense this year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My only issue is Phillips starting on kickoffs. Never good in my opinion to have starters returning kicks. To many things can happen that are not good.

Freshman play if they're good enough, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Only thing of real note to me is McQuillen listed as the starting tight end. Does that mean he has been cleared to play?
IMVHO after watching the open practice last Saturday, I see Michael Boland as the 3rd TE ready to play if he's needed at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom