2/17 Coaches Poll Out - UCONN Not Unanimous at #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2/17 Coaches Poll Out - UCONN Not Unanimous at #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr006

Reaction Score
Has to be the loss to Stanford (now ranked #19). I guess losing to #1 by 25 is better than losing to #19 by 2 in OT?

All we can hope is that the coach in question gets to play both teams, and gets an up close and personal viewing of the relative merits. Tell me which coach would REALLY rather play UConn than SC at this point... fess up, folks...

HGN

Reaction Score
Unbelievable.....How can anyone vote for USC over UConn when UConn just crushed them? Probably another SEC school.

I hope that this disrespect serves as motivation to UConn to steamroll thru the NCAA's to a 10th title.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has to be the loss to Stanford (now ranked #19). I guess losing to #1 by 25 is better than losing to #19 by 2 in OT?

All we can hope is that the coach in question gets to play both teams, and gets an up close and personal viewing of the relative merits. Tell me which coach would REALLY rather play UConn than SC at this point... fess up, folks...
I could buy that explanation if he two teams contending for 1 Vs 2 votes had not gone head to head. They did go head to head and UCONN won convincingly. If SC had played a closer game against UCONN I could see using other factors to decide and the loss to Stanford would legitimately count.

Reaction Score
Because this is a D1 coach casting a vote that defy logic. He/She should be held accountable for the integrity of the game. Newspaper homer I could understand but this is someone of the Profession- Unbelievable!
I do not think a ranking error/judgement would damage the integrity of sport, it would damage the reputation of the ranking authority however. The coaches' ranking should have better reputation than the AP or the other polls. The beauty of the college basketball games is that it will be settled in the championship in March and April. Imagine if a similar ridiculous ranking was done for college football!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Last week's loss by South Carolina should be disregarded because it was entirely attributable to home cooking, and if the game had been played anywhere else, the Gamecocks would have won.

That's not obvious?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
My guess is that voter decided that a UConn November 2 point loss in OT is equal to that of a SCar February 25 point loss? Even though latter loss was to the former team. I'm baffled. This thread is going to make me stress eat until we figure out who the vote was cast by and why. Mainly why, don't much care who it was. Here's to adding to my waist line Boneyard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last week's loss by South Carolina should be disregarded because it was entirely attributable to home cooking, and if the game had been played anywhere else, the Gamecocks would have won.

That's not obvious?
I could justify/expect these kinds of reactions from fans. For a D1 coach to cast this vote is the equivalent of malpractice of the coaching profession, ignores reality (margin of victory head to head) and lacks integrity (because it is anonymous).

Reaction Score
Must be UVA (Boyle) for 2 reasons - still pissed that Geno left 30 years ago and still pissed that Natalie Butler chose UConn over UVA :mad:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Must be UVA (Boyle) for 2 reasons - still pissed that Geno left 30 years ago and still pissed that Natalie Butler chose UConn over UVA :mad:
I was actually looking at that thinking it might've been her lol.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
can't beat us on the floor, so resort to backstabbing backroom tactics.
Another "Great" WBB coach sticks the knife into an opponent that cannot be beat on the floor.
Must feel good about themselves in a slimy dark hidden way. Imagine how this coach treats their players.

canttell.jpg

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Another thought I just had (while I am continuing to stress eat about this thread) Texas is still on the coaches poll @ #25 after having lost 1/3 of their games so far. Literally a third. If basketball was a test Texas would have gotten a 70 out of 100 and still managed to get into the top 25. They got a C and are considered a "Top" team. Actually, I'm not even sure if that's a C. I live in NY state and here a 64 is a fail. So... they got a D so far. Yet, Top 25. Congratulations coaches poll. I have lost all respect for you.

Reaction Score
Because this is a D1 coach casting a vote that defy logic. He/She should be held accountable for the integrity of the game. Newspaper homer I could understand but this is someone of the Profession- Unbelievable!

"Integrity of the game"? It's a poll. Not done by the NCAA. It has nothing to do with the game.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

And no one knows that it wasnt just a mistake. I've seen it happen to an AP football writer, who realized after the fact that he made a typo on his phone and a team got misclassified.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
"Integrity of the game"? It's a poll. Not done by the NCAA. It has nothing to do with the game.

And no one knows that it wasnt just a mistake. I've seen it happen to an AP football writer, who realized after the fact that he made a typo on his phone and a team got misclassified.
I get what you are saying here, but in defense of CocoHusky if you are selected to make that kind of vote that is nationally publicized, and marketed for, and used in so many facets to advertise the sport and or to quantify a teams legitimacy to the general public who may not necessarily be a Women's basketball fan, I would think you would want to be as honest as possible. If that vote was appropriately cast, I don't think it was honest at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

And no one knows that it wasn't just a mistake. I've seen it happen to an AP football writer, who realized after the fact that he made a typo on his phone and a team got misclassified.
Yes, integrity because by casting that vote after a decisive UCONN victory that coach is making this statement: "Coach Staley your team (SC) is better than UCONN."
I would seriously question the integrity of that coach because that is a bold face lie.

Mistake typo? How? That would make more sense than an outright lie.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
A little inside information here.....

Quite often these coaches are too busy or on the road when these "ballots" have to be submitted, and the chore is delegated to another in the program. Sometimes that designee just takes a previous ballot and copies it. The football coaches poll is notorious in this regard, with prevalent rumors that several coaches delegate the chore to someone else for the whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom