12 Teams That Could Upset UConn | The Boneyard

12 Teams That Could Upset UConn

Reaction Score
The people who write those stories, really don't watch the games.
We have heard all the caveats regarding how UCONN can be beaten, foul trouble, poor shooting, injuries, etc.
But lets face it, those teams do not have the talent to beat UCONN straight up, they maybe big, but very slow, they could be quick, but very small. Our quickness and effort overwhelms all our opponents, and we do have the best coach of all time...ALL TIME.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The people who write those stories, really don't watch the games.
We have heard all the caveats regarding how UCONN can be beaten, foul trouble, poor shooting, injuries, etc.
But lets face it, those teams do not have the talent to beat UCONN straight up, they maybe big, but very slow, they could be quick, but very small. Our quickness and effort overwhelms all our opponents, and we do have the best coach of all time...ALL TIME.
If Tulane can play UConn to within a bucket, it's hardly beyond the realm of imagination that another team can upset UConn.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
While you have to avoid hubris, and remember that what UConn does is not normal - not normal at all - and that all teams lose, and most teams lose many games per season - the thing that helps offset so many of the potential pitfalls, the potential losses is .. defense. If I have it right, UConn has given up 65 points or more 5 times this year. 3 of those 5 times, the score wasn't close, and it was merely a 4th quarter bubble by the other team. One of those times was the first game of the season. Only once since the first game of the season - Maryland, at Maryland - has UConn given up more than 65 points when the game was fairly competitive. Defense is not dependent on many of the perceived pitfalls that folks point to - foul trouble perhaps being the largest exception. It's defense that will keep UConn in it, even if or when the wheels come off.

Reaction Score
This was so superficial! All good teams, all with strengths and weaknesses; but they didnt even try to present any analysis, just recited stats and stars. No one from the Boneyard will learn anything from this. Waste of time. ( And I, for one, dont need any help doing that! :cool: )

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
While you have to avoid hubris, and remember that what UConn does is not normal - not normal at all - and that all teams lose, and most teams lose many games per season - the thing that helps offset so many of the potential pitfalls, the potential losses is .. defense. If I have it right, UConn has given up 65 points or more 5 times this year. 3 of those 5 times, the score wasn't close, and it was merely a 4th quarter bubble by the other team. One of those times was the first game of the season. Only once since the first game of the season - Maryland, at Maryland - has UConn given up more than 65 points when the game was fairly competitive. Defense is not dependent on many of the perceived pitfalls that folks point to - foul trouble perhaps being the largest exception. It's defense that will keep UConn in it, even if or when the wheels come off.
However, what Geno has been saying recently is that defense is the Achilles' heel of this year's team, and that his team ultimately has to win by overwhelming good teams with scoring. He also said that he is worried that late in the NCAA tournament, UConn could face a team that it would be unable to defend successfully, but that he is not worried about the team's ability to score against any team -- especially so if Crystal continues her development and if Gabby can become consistent with her mid-range jump shots.

I can see his point -- imagine if the South Carolina guards had been able to hit 3's with any consistency at all. UConn could only defend the paint against SC by leaving guards open. Fortunately, both Davis and Harris were throwing up bricks in that game, and Gray was only a little bit better. Baylor and Texas present a similar problem. Maryland and Mississippi State might do the same.

If anything, I am surprised at Geno's apparent supreme confidence in his team's offense. UConn's offense really needs to hit from outside (including from 3) in order for the points in the paint to be available. It is more dependent on that than the other teams just mentioned, who can score even if their guards are cold. Outside shooting comes and goes, and it seems to come and go for the entire team in unison -- if Lou isn't hitting, then everyone else starts to put pressure on themselves to make up for it. A cold shooting night against a good team could be fatal, even though Geno doesn't seem to be worried about it.

Reaction Score
Analysis paralysis. We can only lose if they play their best game ever and we play our worst.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While an upset is possible, all those teams have faults too.

It all boils down to grit, desire, a little luck and coaching. I like our chances for #12.

Reaction Score
This is really a remarkable thread considering some of the relatively dire pre-season predictions that appeared on our Board, many of which foresaw several regular season losses. We now know that only one of two possible outcomes remain: another undefeated season or, perish the thought, a one-loss seaon. I like the chances for the former. Sure, under certain circumstances, any team can lose. But it's noteworthy that when folks start postulating about that possible outcome, the one favorite word that appears again and again, is "IF." If so-and-so team does this, and if our favorite team does that, then blah, blah, blah. Sure. Me? I'm lookin' forward to the cutting-down-the-nets ceremony, and watching Gabby collect the MVP trophy...or will it be Lou...or Pheesa? To my mind, that choice offers a greater level of suspense. Smug? In the immortal words of Sarah Palin, "you betcha!"

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Of those there are more like 2 to 4 that really may have a shot. But as for the rest UCONN would have to beat themselves.

Reaction Score
Teams that could beat us without requiring extraordinary circumstances: ND, Baylor, Maryland, SC, and maybe Stanford (they always make me nervous because of the history and the coaching factor).

There are maybe another 5-6 teams that could beat us if everything goes wrong for us (injury or foul trouble to Williams and/or Collier, plus cold shooting from Lou, Nurse, and Chong) and everything goes right for them (>50% shooting from 3).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
12 is a stretch. I think the list is ND, Baylor, Maryland, and maybe Stanford. At various point in the season, I thought Texas and Florida State were possibles, but they have been a little erratic since then.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
12 is a stretch. I think the list is ND, Baylor, Maryland, and maybe Stanford. At various point in the season, I thought Texas and Florida State were possibles, but they have been a little erratic since then.
But sometimes the most dangerous teams are precisely the most erratic and mercurial ones.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But sometimes the most dangerous teams are precisely the most erratic and mercurial ones.
True. Sounds like a team from Appalachia that wears orange.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
However, what Geno has been saying recently is that defense is the Achilles' heel of this year's team, and that his team ultimately has to win by overwhelming good teams with scoring. He also said that he is worried that late in the NCAA tournament, UConn could face a team that it would be unable to defend successfully, but that he is not worried about the team's ability to score against any team -- especially so if Crystal continues her development and if Gabby can become consistent with her mid-range jump shots.

I can see his point -- imagine if the South Carolina guards had been able to hit 3's with any consistency at all. UConn could only defend the paint against SC by leaving guards open. Fortunately, both Davis and Harris were throwing up bricks in that game, and Gray was only a little bit better. Baylor and Texas present a similar problem. Maryland and Mississippi State might do the same.

If anything, I am surprised at Geno's apparent supreme confidence in his team's offense. UConn's offense really needs to hit from outside (including from 3) in order for the points in the paint to be available. It is more dependent on that than the other teams just mentioned, who can score even if their guards are cold. Outside shooting comes and goes, and it seems to come and go for the entire team in unison -- if Lou isn't hitting, then everyone else starts to put pressure on themselves to make up for it. A cold shooting night against a good team could be fatal, even though Geno doesn't seem to be worried about it.
Geno's comments are more of his "crazy like a fox" psychology. This year's team is flat out the best defensive team in the country. Nobody can run a 5 player switching defense for 40 minutes like UConn. The Huskies have the NDPOY in Gabby IMO, and 2 other outstanding man to man defenders in Kia & Pheesa. Beyond those 3, Saniya, Lou & Danger are all better than average and Nat had her best defensive game at UConn Monday vs USF.

The conventional wisdom is that in order to beat UConn you have to score with the Huskies. If all the stars are in a alignment, there are only 2 teams that can do that and provide enough defensive pressure to reasonably contain UConn's offense: ND & Baylor.

Since it looks like those two teams will be on the opposite side of the bracket, the Huskies would only have to face one of them, and that would be in the national championship game. As we all know, Geno doesn't lose in the national championship.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Oregon. Hahaha! Notre Dame, Maryland and Baylor are the teams with a realistic chance to beat UConn. Could they lose to others? Sure, under the right circumstances, injury, fouls or the opponent playing the game of their lives... say Louisville vs Baylor from several years ago, but the writer of that article is completely clueless.

Reaction Score
If the list doesn't start with the Spurs, Cavs, or Clippers I'm not really interested.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I`m good as long as Gene Hackman isn`t coaching. :cool:

gal-movies-hoosiers-jpg.0.0.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn is down to their last six games of the season. The most important 6 games of the season. The 6 games they're been preparing for since October.
Geno has them ready to go, mentally and physically. Every player on the roster is ready to give 100% towards the goal of winning these games. They are peaking right now. They're play in their last 2-3 games proves that. They'll be rested, all of their minor nicks will be healed, and they'll be ready to go. For a team to beat UConn, UConn would have to help them like they tried to do against Tulane, and UConn's defense would have to break down as well. I don't think either of those scenarios will happen.

Reaction Score
Seriously, the only teams that can beat this UCONN Team, if all players are healthy are in the WNBA.........Nobody can play UCONN for 40 minutes..........Geno knows, if this team plays its "A" game, UCONN wins every game................Next season's team is another story for us to discuss.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom