12-0 = 03, What does that say about us? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

12-0 = 03, What does that say about us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The If you look at the 2-deep from 2010, Edsall's last season, these are the #2s on the offensive line:LT Bennett, LG Bullock, C Bendarzick, RG Greene, RT Friend. Basically the current front 5 with the exception of the center who was an upper classman. So it isn't like we had nothing behind the Hurd Ryan Hicks group. That is what we had lined up behind them. the 2011 2-deep had Bennett and Friend moving into starting spots with Green as a backup. And that's how it is supposed to work. the problem is the guys behind them. As we've seen Hemingway is not ready and in my view he's too small for the position. He is listed at 272 or something. I doubt you'd find a right tackle at most of the better FCS schools that size. Gifford got some play last week, finally. Cruz has been playing regularly though he was an Edsall recruit that P managed to keep. its the current backups that struggle. He hasn't loaded up on terrific offensive line recruits that I can see. Prototypes my .

Forget about the prototype crap for a second. Do you recognize a gap in OL recruiting here or not? never mind quality, speed, strength, etc......do you see a problem in simple numbers?

I see a problem in numbers, and then when you look at our depth chart, and see that our OT's are backed up by who they are, and our starting center is a transfer that was brought in recently, and we've got a second year and a first year player on the depth chart......

Well whatever.

There are no excuses. The record is 10-17 and it's not acceptable. I just get ticked off when I see people making stuff up. Edsall left this team in shambles on offense, and there is no arguing it. Whoever takes over for Paqualoni is going to be in a hell of a lot better shape on offense, and defense, and ST's than Pasqualoni was coming in.

Reaction Score
Hicks, The Ryans, Hurd, Eric K were 330+ lbs bulldozers , 30-40lbs heavier than the DT's they were playing against, 60-70lbs heavier than the DEs all with a more refinelly held TE postion. to go along with it. Even Greene was 335 when he came in.

Reaction Score
Forget about the prototype crap for a second. Do you recognize a gap in OL recruiting here or not? never mind quality, speed, strength, etc......do you see a problem in simple numbers?

I see a problem in numbers, and then when you look at our depth chart, and see that our OT's are backed up by who they are, and our starting center is a transfer that was brought in recently, and we've got a second year and a first year player on the depth chart......

Well whatever.

There are no excuses. The record is 10-17 and it's not acceptable. I just get ticked off when I see people making stuff up. Edsall left this team in shambles on offense, and there is no arguing it. Whoever takes over for Paqualoni is going to be in a hell of a lot better shape on offense, and defense, and ST's than Pasqualoni was coming in.
I'm not buying that talent ish, the cubburd was bare, c'mon maan!!
A coach is a fancy word for teacher, that's what they do!
If you teach a caterpillar how to be a butterfly your a bad teacher!
All I see is caterpillars!

Reaction Score
What do my eyes tell me?

We can rant and rage about current and former coaches, but no matter who's initials are behind the "HC" title, there is only so much you can do with athletes that don't have the natural talent to transform from a "catepillar to a butterfly". At this level of competition, all the coaches should have to do is teach the "butterflies" to fly better and with more efficiency.

In otherwords, as some "talking heads" have suggested.......the recruits are not and have not been highly regarded as other teams. I tend to agree with the other posts on offense rankings over the years......they are low because that is where the upside of the overall team talent rests. (Yes, we've had a few gems each year........but you need more that 3-4 on each side of the ball.)

I don't disagree with the concept that all the players put in their best effort.......but everyone has some sort of limitation and upside, within sports and the workforce, regardless of the coaching or teaching.

Coaches also have ceilings regardless of their learning experiences throughout their profession.

My eyes suggest a team with a big heart, a big effort, but maybe not as much all around individual or collective talent......from the players through the coaches........as other teams exhibit.

This is what leads to a difference between a team being 3-0......or 0-3.

Reaction Score
Hicks, The Ryans, Hurd, Eric K were 330+ lbs bulldozers , 30-40lbs heavier than the DT's they were playing against, 60-70lbs heavier than the DEs all with a more refinelly held TE postion. to go along with it. Even Greene was 335 when he came in.

Wait a second......

9/28/2013 BUffalo
OL Weights Left to Right:

#1's. 309, 308 (S. Greene), 315, 309,317 (K. Friend)
#2's. 296,299,316,290,272

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/buffalo-depth.pdf

12/ 4 /2010 South Florida - win to get to Fiesta Bowl
OL Weights Left to Right

#1s. 333,294,292,325,283
#2s. 290,301,292,309 (S.Greene), 289 (K.Friend)

http://issuu.com/uconnhuskies/docs/usflunch

Please people, stop making crap up. We lightened up on our Left Tackles, because we actually having a passing offense now that they have to move their feet to block for. We clearly didn't recruit tackles that can move their feet well recently. That's it.

We don't have the 330+lb behemoths to skew the averages, now, and we are actually heavier across the line, going into this game against buffalo, than we were against south florida in December 2010.

Reaction Score
What do my eyes tell me?

We can rant and rage about current and former coaches, but no matter who's initials are behind the "HC" title, there is only so much you can do with athletes that don't have the natural talent to transform from a "catepillar to a butterfly". At this level of competition, all the coaches should have to do is teach the "butterflies" to fly better and with more efficiency.

In otherwords, as some "talking heads" have suggested.......the recruits are not and have not been highly regarded as other teams. I tend to agree with the other posts on offense rankings over the years......they are low because that is where the upside of the overall team talent rests. (Yes, we've had a few gems each year........but you need more that 3-4 on each side of the ball.)

I don't disagree with the concept that all the players put in their best effort.......but everyone has some sort of limitation and upside, within sports and the workforce, regardless of the coaching or teaching.

Coaches also have ceilings regardless of their learning experiences throughout their profession.

My eyes suggest a team with a big heart, a big effort, but maybe not as much all around individual or collective talent......from the players through the coaches........as other teams exhibit.

This is what leads to a difference between a team being 3-0......or 0-3.
I'm not a buyer, stars are in the sky!
If your looking up in the sky to figure out the talent level, a bird will poop in your eye.
I hope no coach is looking for stars next to a kids name.
Our recruiters are the talent evaluators, they need to keep the pipelines flowing.

Reaction Score
Carl, I don't buy it. yeah we had some issues at the skill positions, but on the line not so much. We had 2 of the bowl team OL starters back in 2011, Ryan and the center plus the Friend and Bennett moved into starting roles and a couple of guys who are now starting were 2s then, Bullock was at Guard, and Green at Guard. Bullock has since been moved to C but plays both inside positions. Cruz moved in last year as a RS frosh to the #2 spot (he was an Edsall recruit that P kept) and played due to injury, Bullock is still there, Greene is now starting as are Bennett and Friend. the progression for the line was working just as it is supposed to, except the backups aren't as good as the backups of 2-3 years ago. A couple of guys who were backups in 2011 with time remaining seem to have dropped off. Steve Brown, I think his name was, backed up at tackle as a soph but seems to have left the program for example. I really htink that the problem is that the RSfrosh and RS sophs that have spent time developing under DeLeone and Pasqualoni just have not developed as well or as effectively as our previous groups. And Hemingway in particular is too damned small to be playing tackle in a 1A program. I doubt you'll find another guy that small outside maybe a MAC program. He's closer to a tight end size than a tackle.

Reaction Score
Michigan is not that good a football team and Towson is, well, Towson. Maryland may be a good team. We're a bottom quartile type team.

minds brighter than yours and mine seem to think Michigan is the 18th best football team in the country. Personally I'm not sold on them, but their a ranked team regardless, Maryland is a 3-0 ACC team, and Towson will likely be a top 25 1AA team by the end of the year. I'm not trying to sugarcoat our lousy start, but we have played a tough schedule so far, probably one of the toughest in the country. We'll find out whether we're the victims of bad fortune schedule wise, or actually just lousy in the next two weeks. We have Buffalo and USF who've been shown to be very beatable so far this season. We need to win and win big. Two close wins mean we're among the top of the lousy. Two big wins means we might be a pretty good team. Let's not bring up what a loss or two would mean.

Hopefully we look good the next two games because the three after that are probably our toughest 3 games remaining and we're dead in the water if we don't have some kind of momentum.

Reaction Score
Carl, this isn't really a discussion about size, except as it applies to Hemingway. find me another major college tackle who is 272 pounds. I was talking about guys moving up the ladder from backup to starter on the oline. You claimed P came and the cupboard was bare, but that just wasn't so. He had 2 starters back and the entire #2 unit. Some of those guys moved up. some stayed with the 2s an extra year and moved up last year. the "succession plan" was working just fine. Just the way it was supposed to. A couple of guys left, the kid from the Valley and Brown, but that happens. The problem is that they guys who should be moving in to the 1 line next year and even maybe this year, aren't as good as the guys they are replacing or even close. I think it can be argued, and might well turn out that Pasqauloni leaves his successor less by way of talent on th eoffensive line than what he inherited from Edsall.

Reaction Score
Wait a second......

9/28/2013 BUffalo
OL Weights Left to Right:

#1's. 309, 308 (S. Greene), 315, 309,317 (K. Friend)
#2's. 296,299,316,290,272

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/buffalo-depth.pdf

12/ 4 /2010 South Florida - win to get to Fiesta Bowl
OL Weights Left to Right

#1s. 333,294,292,325,283
#2s. 290,301,292,309 (S.Greene), 289 (K.Friend)

http://issuu.com/uconnhuskies/docs/usflunch

Please people, stop making crap up. We lightened up on our Left Tackles, because we actually having a passing offense now that they have to move their feet to block for. We clearly didn't recruit tackles that can move their feet well recently. That's it.

We don't have the 330+lb behemoths to skew the averages, now, and we are actually heavier across the line, going into this game against buffalo, than we were against south florida in December 2010.
Carl I named specifc people,
Hurd played at 325 max
M. Ryan 330
Hicks 323
D Ryan 320
Erik K 330
Greene was 335 as a freshman
not making crap up Carl

Reaction Score
Carl, I don't buy it. yeah we had some issues at the skill positions, but on the line not so much. We had 2 of the bowl team OL starters back in 2011, Ryan and the center plus the Friend and Bennett moved into starting roles and a couple of guys who are now starting were 2s then, Bullock was at Guard, and Green at Guard. Bullock has since been moved to C but plays both inside positions. Cruz moved in last year as a RS frosh to the #2 spot (he was an Edsall recruit that P kept) and played due to injury, Bullock is still there, Greene is now starting as are Bennett and Friend. the progression for the line was working just as it is supposed to, except the backups aren't as good as the backups of 2-3 years ago. A couple of guys who were backups in 2011 with time remaining seem to have dropped off. Steve Brown, I think his name was, backed up at tackle as a soph but seems to have left the program for example. I really htink that the problem is that the RSfrosh and RS sophs that have spent time developing under DeLeone and Pasqualoni just have not developed as well or as effectively as our previous groups. And Hemingway in particular is too damned small to be playing tackle in a 1A program. I doubt you'll find another guy that small outside maybe a MAC program. He's closer to a tight end size than a tackle.

Heminway is 11 lbs lighter than our starting RT when we matched up with Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Let's you and I spring for a big steak dinner in buffalo tonight for him, we'll cut that difference in half.

The difference isn't in weight, it's foot speed.

Reaction Score
Carl I named specifc people,
Hurd played at 325 max
M. Ryan 330
Hicks 323
D Ryan 320
Erik K 330
Greene was 335 as a freshman
not making crap up Carl

WHat's your point Duncan? I listed the starting lineups and backups by weight from our last regular season game in 2010, as compared to our game tomorrow.

Edsall ran a one dimensional offense based on a playbook that consisted of a dozen plays.

Those offensive linemen were recruited for it. I honestly don't know what Steve Greene weighed coming in as a freshmen, so I'll give you that - fine - he came in at 330. But when he was on the 2-deep as a backup for the USF game in 12/10 - he was listed 1 lb heavier than he is now, at 309 - that was almost 3 years ago.

Our offensive line, across the board, except for left tackle - is heavier. We actually have a balanced offense in structure, that can generate multiple different options off of multiple formations, and systems now.

Reaction Score
Dude the team UConn plays this week already played Baylor and Ohio State. Seriously come on.
Ok, let's get literal about this.
Have Ohio St. and Baylor played 2 power conference teams OC?
No, because they don't need the money like Buffalo does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom