10 Sec Backcourt Rule Proposed for WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

10 Sec Backcourt Rule Proposed for WCBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Here's another take on the 10-second rule and UConn play/player development ... although I am not sure if it holds any water.

It's not unusual for UConn to employ a swarming backcourt defense against inferior teams (which most are) as a good way to practice for when they need to press in more competitive games. It happens throughout the season. With the new rule, does Geno think he needs to pull back from the aggressive posture because the 10-second turnovers it will cause make UConn look like a bully against clearly inferior teams. Also, if those "drills" are over in just 10 seconds, are they as effective?

I am in favor of the 10-second rule myself, but I was just wondering...

Reaction Score
I support the 10 second rule and feel that it will speed up the game, but won't dramatically effect it.

Reaction Score
I think the 10 second rule should be called by the timekeeper. The clock could be programmed so that the buzzer would sound after 10 seconds if the timekeeper doesn't cause the buzzer to abort by pressing a button when the ball crosses halfcourt. This ref arm swinging count is redonkulously inaccurate.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think the 10 second rule should be called by the timekeeper. The clock could be programmed so that the buzzer would sound after 10 seconds if the timekeeper doesn't cause the buzzer to abort by pressing a button when the ball crosses halfcourt. This ref arm swinging count is redonkulously inaccurate.

Well therein lies one of the little problems with the half court 10 second count.

There is a subtle difference (sometimes) between the shot clock and the 10 second clock. The shot clock starts it's count when the ball is touched by a player on the court after the throw in. However, the 10 second half court count starts when a player gains possession in the player's back court.

Now most times that initiating moment is the same. However it is not always the same. Thus the refs need to "count" the ten seconds with the arm swinging thing starting at the moment they feel possession is established in the back court.

a buzzer that sounds at 10 seconds of the shot clock does not implement the rule and thus requires a ref "count" and judge. There could be a separate clock managed by the time keeper or yet another official of course but that is not how any level has implemented it as far as I know.

Reaction Score
IMHO the changing of the back court rule to 10 seconds will be a huge advantage for teams usually ranked in the Top 10. Teams like Kentucky who play a chaotic defense with full court pressure will be able to generate 8-10 back court violations in almost every game they play against average opponents. It will also lead to a higher priority of recruiting guards that are good ball handlers.

True. All the big name coaches and announcers are touting this as long overdue, makes the game faster and more exciting. Maybe, for closely matched teams.

But games we usually win 90 - 45 we'll now beat 115 - 30 if we want to [Geno won't let us]. But many coaches will. then they'll all gripe: " this isn't good for WCBB".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom