10 Sec Backcourt Rule Proposed for WCBB | The Boneyard

10 Sec Backcourt Rule Proposed for WCBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One of Rules Committee's recommendations. Vote on adopting the recommendations will be June 8.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...s-recommend-rule-changes-mens-womens-basketba

Among others:
  • Provides clarity on block/charge (defender must be in legal guarding position before offensive player leaves floor starts upward motion to shoot or pass the ball)
  • A team time-out within 30 seconds of scheduled media timeout (first dead ball -16, -12, -8 and -4) will become that media timeout except for 1st timeout of second half. (Bottom line: fewer fewer stoppages of play which is a good thing)
  • To allow more freedom of movement, officials will be instructed to make these calls consistently:
  • When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent;
  • When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent;
  • When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent;
  • When a player uses an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO the changing of the back court rule to 10 seconds will be a huge advantage for teams usually ranked in the Top 10. Teams like Kentucky who play a chaotic defense with full court pressure will be able to generate 8-10 back court violations in almost every game they play against average opponents. It will also lead to a higher priority of recruiting guards that are good ball handlers.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Interesting that almost all of the proposed changes are directed at the defensive side.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is, also,interesting most are already rules.

Ex "Provides clarity on block/charge (defender must be in legal guarding position before offensive player leaves floor)"

One can only shake one's head.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is, also,interesting most are already rules.

Ex "Provides clarity on block/charge (defender must be in legal guarding position before offensive player leaves floor)"

One can only shake one's head.

Actually, I misstated what the recommendation is. The current rule is that the defender must be in legal guarding position before the offensive player leaves the floor. The proposed change would require the defender to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player starts with his/her upward motion with the ball. So, the defender needs to be in position sooner than previously required. The reasons given are: allow more offensive freedom, provide greater clarity to officials and establish more balance between offense and defense.

Here's the relevant paragraph from the article:

In regard to the block/charge call in men’s basketball, the committee is proposing that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul.
The current rule calls for a defender to be in legal guarding position before the offensive player lifted off the floor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is different and makes more sense.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The 10 second rule could also help smaller teams who could play a swarming defense to try to create turnovers. I never understood why this wasn't a rule in WCBB. They have it at every other level, and in MCBB.

Reaction Score
I think it is a no brainer to add this to the game. The only way to realistically challenge the men's game for more popularity is to have the same rules as the mens game (besides the basketball size). It will also increase parity as defense can become a greater tool in determining outcomes (pressure D).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Actually, I misstated what the recommendation is. The current rule is that the defender must be in legal guarding position before the offensive player leaves the floor. The proposed change would require the defender to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player starts with his/her upward motion with the ball. So, the defender needs to be in position sooner than previously required. The reasons given are: allow more offensive freedom, provide greater clarity to officials and establish more balance between offense and defense.

Here's the relevant paragraph from the article:

In regard to the block/charge call in men’s basketball, the committee is proposing that a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul.
The current rule calls for a defender to be in legal guarding position before the offensive player lifted off the floor.

IMO this particular rule modification is a direct response to the "tuurrible" charge call against Iowa State in the waning moments of the ISU/Ohio State men's game in the NCAAs. And it was, in fact, tuurrible.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
..there go Harry's last-remaining few hairs. If he's gonna need an offense that plays in the frontcourt for more than 14 seconds, he's gonna have to go back to the drawing board!:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is different and makes more sense.
Not sure that makes it better/easier to call. At least before one could tell when a player was "on the floor" or had "left the floor". Now they have to determine when the player "starts with their upward motion". :confused: Another in the opinion of the referee. Great.:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like the 10 second rule. Will make pressing pay off more often. Could be very useful to UCONN.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Meyers7: I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I am loathing your avatar these days!

Reaction Score
Interesting that almost all of the proposed changes are directed at the defensive side.

Not as many rules offensively, either.

FINALLY the 10 secind backcourt. Expect an amazingly insane seasin. Womens game has much fewer ballhandlers than mens game, so this will be pretty wild.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wish the men's game was getting rid of the 10 sec backcourt and going the direction of the women's. To me the ten sec clock has little to do with the goals of the sport. The defense already gains by forcing teams to chew up clock and shortening the time for offensive sets. Men's game needs to come to the 30 sec clock, too. Or better yet move men's and women's college ball to a 28 sec clock.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I will be in the minority on this one I'm sure but I don't like adding the 10 second clock. Yet another artificial judgement that the ref will have to make. everyone already complaints about the judgements they currently make why give them yet another thing to track and judge?

I'd favor shortening the shot clock if you want to speed up the game. I just don;t see this making the game more interesting and adds another judgement call.

No big deal either way but I'd just shorten the shot clock.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled about to 10 second rule. The deviation from this rule that every other league in the world uses has always bugged me. No more standing in the backcourt for 25 seconds and then rushing down the court and throwing up some wild shot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This will motivate player in each position to work on their handle. Rules that make the women's game seem less skilled need to be removed from the game. The only rule I do support is the smaller ball.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There really are no "defensive" and "offensive" rules because they exist in tandem and enforcement of the defensive holding\whacking\barring\throttling rule is basically an offensive liberation rule favoring better shooting. Likewise, the 10-second backcourt rule has a variety of complex factors for both offense and defense that could possibly speed up the game\add more steals\add more layups\etc., though I'm not sure it is necessarily a big boon to more skilled play. But at the least, WCBB critics who point to the "waddle up the floor" pace that seems to permeate some teams' metabolic levels will hopefully have a little less to carp about, though 20-second-half-court offensive ineptitude is not something that certain fans like maybe from NJ are going to get excited about either.

One rule that is interesting in reference to a little incident in the NC game is that refs in the proposed rules will be allowed some discretion about elbow contact above the shoulders, allowing for standard or no foul rulings along with the current flagrant foul call. The case with Caroline Doty might have just been called a player-control foul instead of a flagrant call. As is, a defensive player has a lot of incentive to crowd into a player who catches a ball up high, stick her head in an area close to the ball handler's elbows, and dive for the floor as soon as the ball handler makes a move. I'm not saying Bria Smith did exactly that on April 8th (though others have), but actors can be well rewarded under the current rules though at the risk of a few concussions when facing a player who thinks that such behavior should not be encouraged and wants to provide work for the starving plastic surgeons of America.

Not sure if putting more judgment calls in the hands of the refs is a good or bad thing, but having no performance ceiling and advocating that they have less role in the games can lead to really bad stuff too.

Reaction Score
This will motivate player in each position to work on their handle. Rules that make the women's game seem less skilled need to be removed from the game. The only rule I do support is the smaller ball.
Like the new avatar, btw...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Like the new avatar, btw...
Yeah, seems to me that spirits in white gowns floating around with wings and sporting a hoop on their head would not exactly be seen as ever having been adverse to accepting gay members of the pearly community, while the fire and brimstone setting down below might seem to have more in tune with what Westboro types want. 30 years ago when I worked down in Greenwich Village there was a guy named Rollerena who would make his rounds to entertain the village folk on roller skates in a long white wedding dress and other sundry unusual pieces of wear, and he did seem to be someone who might have come down from above for a while to have a little fun.

But getting back to the rules, yeah, definitely all the PGs should spend more time learning how to dribble and pass for the future of WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom