10-2 | The Boneyard

10-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think most of us pre season thought 9-3 was the good guess mark as we saw 5 or 6 quality games with 2 or 3 being very tough ones. so 9-3 was a nice goal but not a reach. where we are right now is truly great. KO got his contract today(not going to rant this thread up with that) and kids are clearly developing.

i realize i am in the minority here but i would like to see this lineup get some minutes. Wolf-Olander-DD-Omar-Bazz. i just think its a great lineup with what each kid brings to the table and we never play it. thats my only beef so far really. a small thing but i think the lenght could work very well. it also puts Omar, DD and Olander in natural positions all together which could be interesting to see flow wise.

Bazz is truly a leader this year, really developed mentally i feel. he has the tools to take over but would rather work everyone else around as much as possible and do work when needed. Omar was cold shooting in the 1st half and instead of trying some crazy shot at the buzzer, Bazz right away passed and gave Omar a look. thats team bball and chemistry on display quietly. i liked that a lot.

i see the Armstrong potential in Nolan, he just looks raw. thats fine and i hope we do develope him quicker as i think hes not to far off than Armstrong at uconn year by year. he needs 20lbs of muscle and girl to piss him off so he comes out of the lockerroom jacked and angry next year. if he gains weight and works hard, he could turn into a nice piece for us soon. i look to his development this summer as 1 of the measurments on KO's first summer as the HC. i'm expecting a bit of a O and weight on his frame for sure next fall. for now, keep chugging and fighting for time. hes getting the pampers wet and he has some good and bad runs. i think he was well worth the scholarship late. sleeper excited about him long term you could say.

Wolf! HHHHHHOOOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLLLL!!!!!i have been going nutzo about it in the chats for a bit now. kid hustles and is agressive. when your atttitude is like that, the other things can come if u develope. he has a nice jumper on him that he is streaky with. when he makes one he starts it up, if he doesn't look to shoot he is trying for position. i like how far he has come already. i say start him for good and also i want to see him take the tip. nice dunk for him 2 night and overall a good game.

Olander. the way we are using him is killing his progress, thats my take. hes a pf not a center and a face 4 who wants to pick and pop not post and bang. completely using him wrong but we dont have a choice with depth down low. so be it. but i would love to see a Wolf and Olander lineup. Olander can play the Adrien role and flash foul line extended all day, he can make that shot a lot more than Jeff did if u remember those days. ppl talk about the black hole with Olander this year, its becuase KO is trying to get him established in the post at all costs. put him in the O i talk about and he feeds the ball around or pops shots from the foul line all dam day. lay off him, hes working his ass of and taking a huge bullet for this team. i also think that type of O could really open up the gaurds space and allow them driving lanes when the D tries to switch and .

Boat, man i feel for the kid. hes just having a tough time it seems. gets his shot back one game then its missing again. just feels like hes not all there right now. hes a great player and team kid, hes just going thru a drought it seems. i hope its just a temp thing and he explodes on the scene in Jan. hes tough, he will figure it out. i don't like him and bazz together for extended minutes. short bursts are ok but long minutes the 2 seem to kill each others momentum as they both need the ball in hand. i think there is a good way to split that but its a tough balance. the issue is they are your 2 studs so while there games together aren't the best it still possibly better than anything u have otherwise on any posession so i see KO's dilema with it. i can't argue with his decision on it either way but i would liek to see both sides of the argument tired, he has stuck with playing both side of the argument as much as possible.

Omar comin' along. thats the new catch phrase. slowly but surely u can see the different pieces coming out at times. eventually its all going to click together and hes going to rip some poor shooting gaurds head off next year, i can't wait for it. the kid is built body ready and playing a lot of 3 right now as its best for the team. when he gets the 2 spot full time a year or 2 from now hes going to feast on . his outside shot is streaky but he can D up real well and gets above the rim. a summer in the weight room will see him 4 or 5 inches above the rim i think and he will have Dyson like slashing going on. u can see it already forming. his midrange is silky. it took him a bit to adjust to the speed of the college game but he has arrived i think. he will be pouring it in as a soph/jr. i see 3 years max. some of it depends on Boat and Bazz how long here and minutes vs Omar getting the 2 spot locked down. his jr year could be Boat(sr)-Omar-DD(sr) at the 123, god help the rest of college bball by that point if so. i see that being his max out year and the 3 of them going bonkers together lottery up the wazzu.

DD, also really coming thru lately. took one heck of a jaw to floor late 2night. hope its a tooth or cut lip and not much more. he looked drunk as going to the lockerroom. concusion maybe? the kid needs to put on 30 pounds of muscle, no way around it. he has the shot and the tools. he needs weight. muscle would allow him to be far above the rim which he already gets over and be a force as a 3. were playing him as a 4 but hes a 3 imho furutre wise, its just the size this year...imagine him with some weight so no sf could push him around, he would be lenghtly compared to most. now add in his stroke form 3, his average handle for the position and what seems to be a nice inside game for his tools. as a 3 he would look good with his post moves and lane cuts. as a 4 right now he looks a bit overmatched between a bigger defender and also being skinny. just like Nolan, i look at what KO does with DD this summer. if he can put on weight and improve, watch out for a coming out party next year.

Gif is Gif. same story different game. hes simply a nice glue guy, rock solid and a quality piece to any good team. always has been and always will be. every once in a while he has a night and sometimes u didn't know he was there. but he always gets a board or makes a pass or a steal and has some type of influence. love having him on the roster but hes never going to be the answer, just his style of play. i hope we can land him a nice euro pro deal 2 years from now, he would be a huge asset to the program connections wise in time if so.

Evans is a great 1 year rental. he really is. he is beefy as a guard, mentally there and agressive. he gets it, the game and why he is there. its fun to watch. i can't help but think hes a quality guy in the locker room from the way the younger guys seem to interact with him. very happy with him. i hope he enjoys the expierence being able to put the home state name on his chest.

no Leon 2night? well from the overall look of it so far hes last depth wise of the group. from what i saw though his ship was not a throw away. he clealry has some pittsnogle(wvu big trashy man years ago) in him just a couple inches smaller. he seems like a nice pf project. we may not see much of him until his jr or sr year i feel becuase we will recruit some stud to play asap i think soon. will be interesting to see if he stays here 4 years to see the potential out or not and if he develops into something. he looked to have a shot on him and a good handle for a 4 man that young. we shall see in time...

Allen, had to mention him. another home state kid. i appreciate his work ethic and what he brings. its nice to have a extra pice to call upon in tough times. i noticed on tv KO shook each kids hand and after he finished the end of the line with walkons he went back and said a extra thing to Allen. family counts and so does effort. the kid has it. just a nice extra piece on the roster, no other way to explain it. glad the extra ship went to him since we couldn't fill it with a player that could help right away.

10-2. thrilled here. in the 3 big games we played we went 1-2. we were in all 3 of them. not upset at all. we have a couple other ok wins so our rpi/sos i figure isn't brillant but not bad either. the BE schedule will take care of that anyway. i think in a typical UConn year with what i saw, 11-1 or 12-0 would be expected but all things considering, 10-2 this year is great. hell if we went 9-3 but things went like they are i think i would be writing the same thing. under that then i think were having a different talk about some players or styles.

boards issue, i keep seeing ppl bitch about it. we are not going to board better than any good team and most teams either. just a simple fact. its how we are built. but KO knows that and he has us winning all the other things to make up for that. if we wanted to board well and commit to that, then other things wouldn't be so dominate for us. i like the style he has decided to go with, its one that for this team this year can work and get us possibly to a 20ish win season.

one of the flaws this team has is its fire power. we have a couple good scorers but i don't see enough of a force where we can ever distance ourselves in a game for good early or late. we are a bit streaky and just not built for ass kicking points wise, we are more grind and shine. its a bit different lifestyle wise then past UConn teams but KO seems to be making it work adjusting to the roster he has. almost has the feel of a B1G type bball style. ;)

anything .500 or better i think seemed to be the overall mark this year in a lot of heads pre season. sitting at 10-2 looking at the schedule i think we can break it down a bit. i'm going to asume DD is not a long injury for this.

next 5? @marq, dep, @nd, lville, @pitt. thats a tough opening stretch. 3 ranked teams and marq is not a game we will be favored in. 1-4 is the realistic look at it from outside eyes who are looking at nothing but names and records/rpis/schedules. i would argue that 1-4 would be the base i would hope for. depual is better but they are still a team we should beat, i would worry about melvin having a game on us. i hope for 2-3 in that 5 game run, i think thats fair to this team, anything more than that is a great 5 game stretch. its the toughest stretch we have and a real slap in the face to open the BE schedule up. 3 tough roads games and a visit from lville who is one of only a handul of teams in the country at best that can matchup with our great guards. i'm gong to say 2-3 for this run. the only tragic ending is a 0-5 to start the BE schedule. we need to be mentally tough the depaul game and get a W when we need one.

next 5? ruty, @prov, usf, @sju, @shu. time to heal up the wounds. no reason 3-2 shouldn't be the base here and 4-1 or 5-0 are very realistic expectations. none of those teams whould be better than uconn this year. as suaul tho, for 4 of these teams playing uconn is there super bowl so we can't be mentally hurt from the first 5 game stretch. enough said. i'll say 4-1 and 3-2 or worse is tragic and something injury wise or elsewhere has happened to this team.

next 5? cuse, nova, cincy, @dep, gtown. 4 of 5 at home, gotta like that. hopefully we are rolling from the last 5 and if so momentum could be key here as 2 or 3 of the 5 we will prob be home dogs wich is rare for uconn as a program. again we need to take care of business in depaul and the nova game looks winable on paper. cincy is a interesting streaky team this year. with 4 of 5 at home and the road game being depaul, i say 3-2 is the relaistic pick here, anything more is great and depending on a 2-3 record vs who it could be a letdown. both 2-3 and 4-1 are possible but i'll go with 3-2 for this 5 game stretch.

the final 3 are @cincy, @usf and prov. cincy will either be looking for revenge or tney blood resume style at home in the 2nd game of the matchup this year, real tough one i view it as. the next to are winnable and imho where ko shines. no matter the tough year these games could easily mean a 20 win seaosn or not for perception record wise. win these and ko is mentally tough enhough to keep his guys mentally tough enough. i like uconn going 2-1 in this final stretch. anything less is a letdown and 3-0 is compltely possible but a tough one in cincy holds me back from saying yes to it. by this point i expect prov and usf to be wishing the seasons are over. one thing to not forget is if prov gets all 9 of its all american players that are hurt back in time for this last game of the year, would not surprise me one bit.

final record? i see 21-9. earlier this year i thik 9 ooc wins and 20 wins total were goals many had as gauges. ko sure as hell passed the first half of it and i have faith he will shine in time in the 2nd half of it. the first stretch may bring out the clowns, trolls and questions with such a tough stretch but i think all things considered we will pull tru and finish this year with extremely positive thoughts going into next year.

lets land 2 or 3 recruits now. get us a big guy and either a guar dor wing and lets go to war. if the big guy is impact right away then god help any team next year that gets in our way, i mean that with the worst interntions possible. i want blood. for jc, ko and everyone else who i as a fan fight for in my rooting passion for uconn. i was to rip ncaa heads off with our fast breaks and have other major programs crying in there offices about how ko is our next guys for 30 years and who the hell are they going to replace there old white guy coaches with. we solved the probelm years before a lot of programs have to, thanks to jc for that. it hasn't clicked in a lot of your heads yet, but it will in time. the guy was a master of puppets and i pray rain of the coldest degree on every other college basketball team for the next 30 years.

21-9, i can see it and i would be very happy with it. 10 toes in. what say u?

caw

Reaction Score
I was thinking 8-4 before the season started with three of the losses coming against MSU, NM and NCST. I also figured they would lose one WTF game in the OOC. I thought that was realistic based on the team and last year's record and losing to teams they could have beaten. 10-2 is much further along than I expected. I also saw exactly what I wanted to see in the NM and NCST games. The talent/experience just isn't there to consistently beat top 25 teams. I give these kids and the coaching staff a ton of credit for the OOC results.

UConn does have a relatively easy BE schedule. Preseason I was hoping for 17 or 18 wins on the season. I think 21 may be pushing it a bit.

Reaction Score
Typical #whathaveyoudoneformelately . boat in a slump ? look at his last like 5 games shooting %. I love Wolfe but there's a reason olander can't play along side him. Both are egregiously slow.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Typical #whathaveyoudoneformelately . boat in a slump ? look at his last like 5 games shooting %. I love Wolfe but there's a reason olander can't play along side him. Both are egregiously slow.

to much haterade 2night? boat had a hot games vs fordham and umes so many here thought he was turning it around. 2night he was ok shooting wise but his overall play was a bit sloppy.
on the season hes 65 for 134 or just under 50%. thats with him shooting 24 for 35 the 3 games before 2night. he got hot and we all thought he was abck but 2night while his shooting was ok his overall game wasnt so great. hes just a bit off. i mean he went 3-14 vs quinn and 3-8 vs sbrook. his year has been rocky. from 3 he is 15 for 45 or 33%. not bad not anything special. but he went 5-6 from 3 vs umes or 9-17 the past 3 games before 2night from 3. he got hot vs a couple low teams.
#whathaveyoudoneformelately???? how was my post that in any way, if anything it was the opposite. i clearly feel hes a bit rockey this year and his stats prove it. hes not a bad news bears guy but he hasn't exactly lit up any of our tougher opponets yet. hes not bad but hes not exactly killing it this year, lets hope the overall streak of the upwarde trend continues but its been a bit rockey overall.

both wold and olander are slow, but theya re what we have. wolf actually rim runs pretty quick if u pay attnetion. thats all we need from him. not many power forwards we play are going to be able to lock up olander if we play the pick and pop game. left, high release and quick guards will make the D sag. perfect formula to get him going.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That was the longest thread opening I've ever seen!

I'll be honest and say that I didn't read it all, but I have said many times that I would love to see Tyler back at the 4 where he belongs. The problem really is that it has taken some time to see a functional Wolf in the middle, and even then, we are still trying to get Nolan prepared for big time ball. There just isn't enough depth at the 5, and Ollie has to get these guys some game time before he even considers the move.

Mark my words though; if Nolan shows that he can begin to handle the Big East bangers, and if Wolf continues his improvement, we will see Tyler at the 4 somewhere down the road this year. If those prerequisites don't occur (Nolan not ready, or Wolf regresses), then Olander will be at the 5 for the remainder of his UConn career. Hopefully, we can get him back to where he's most comfortable...

Reaction Score
Wolfe and Olander on the court at the same time. No Ffffnnn way! Maybe Nolan and one of the great Olander together if you want to see TO at the PF. Teams would blow us for easy layups over and over down the court if TO and EW play together. They are just too slow and neither is extremely physical players either to play together and be effective defensively. Offensively they just don't provide enough to make up for the defensive problems we would have.

Reaction Score
I had them 8-4 or even 7-5 if they lost to Harvard (which won at Cal tonight). This has been a joyful celebration for me. Let's press on!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
i think most of us pre season thought 9-3 was the good guess mark as we saw 5 or 6 quality games with 2 or 3 being very tough ones. so 9-3 was a nice goal but not a reach. where we are right now is truly great. KO got his contract today(not going to rant this thread up with that) and kids are clearly developing.

i realize i am in the minority here but i would like to see this lineup get some minutes. Wolf-Olander-DD-Omar-Bazz. i just think its a great lineup with what each kid brings to the table and we never play it. thats my only beef so far really. a small thing but i think the lenght could work very well. it also puts Omar, DD and Olander in natural positions all together which could be interesting to see flow wise.

Bazz is truly a leader this year, really developed mentally i feel. he has the tools to take over but would rather work everyone else around as much as possible and do work when needed. Omar was cold shooting in the 1st half and instead of trying some crazy shot at the buzzer, Bazz right away passed and gave Omar a look. thats team bball and chemistry on display quietly. i liked that a lot.

i see the Armstrong potential in Nolan, he just looks raw. thats fine and i hope we do develope him quicker as i think hes not to far off than Armstrong at uconn year by year. he needs 20lbs of muscle and girl to piss him off so he comes out of the lockerroom jacked and angry next year. if he gains weight and works hard, he could turn into a nice piece for us soon. i look to his development this summer as 1 of the measurments on KO's first summer as the HC. i'm expecting a bit of a O and weight on his frame for sure next fall. for now, keep chugging and fighting for time. hes getting the pampers wet and he has some good and bad runs. i think he was well worth the scholarship late. sleeper excited about him long term you could say.

Wolf! HHHHHHOOOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLLLL!!!!!i have been going nutzo about it in the chats for a bit now. kid hustles and is agressive. when your atttitude is like that, the other things can come if u develope. he has a nice jumper on him that he is streaky with. when he makes one he starts it up, if he doesn't look to shoot he is trying for position. i like how far he has come already. i say start him for good and also i want to see him take the tip. nice dunk for him 2 night and overall a good game.

Olander. the way we are using him is killing his progress, thats my take. hes a pf not a center and a face 4 who wants to pick and pop not post and bang. completely using him wrong but we dont have a choice with depth down low. so be it. but i would love to see a Wolf and Olander lineup. Olander can play the Adrien role and flash foul line extended all day, he can make that shot a lot more than Jeff did if u remember those days. ppl talk about the black hole with Olander this year, its becuase KO is trying to get him established in the post at all costs. put him in the O i talk about and he feeds the ball around or pops shots from the foul line all dam day. lay off him, hes working his ass of and taking a huge bullet for this team. i also think that type of O could really open up the gaurds space and allow them driving lanes when the D tries to switch and ****.

Boat, man i feel for the kid. hes just having a tough time it seems. gets his shot back one game then its missing again. just feels like hes not all there right now. hes a great player and team kid, hes just going thru a drought it seems. i hope its just a temp thing and he explodes on the scene in Jan. hes tough, he will figure it out. i don't like him and bazz together for extended minutes. short bursts are ok but long minutes the 2 seem to kill each others momentum as they both need the ball in hand. i think there is a good way to split that but its a tough balance. the issue is they are your 2 studs so while there games together aren't the best it still possibly better than anything u have otherwise on any posession so i see KO's dilema with it. i can't argue with his decision on it either way but i would liek to see both sides of the argument tired, he has stuck with playing both side of the argument as much as possible.

Omar comin' along. thats the new catch phrase. slowly but surely u can see the different pieces coming out at times. eventually its all going to click together and hes going to rip some poor shooting gaurds head off next year, i can't wait for it. the kid is built body ready and playing a lot of 3 right now as its best for the team. when he gets the 2 spot full time a year or 2 from now hes going to feast on . his outside shot is streaky but he can D up real well and gets above the rim. a summer in the weight room will see him 4 or 5 inches above the rim i think and he will have Dyson like slashing going on. u can see it already forming. his midrange is silky. it took him a bit to adjust to the speed of the college game but he has arrived i think. he will be pouring it in as a soph/jr. i see 3 years max. some of it depends on Boat and Bazz how long here and minutes vs Omar getting the 2 spot locked down. his jr year could be Boat(sr)-Omar-DD(sr) at the 123, god help the rest of college bball by that point if so. i see that being his max out year and the 3 of them going bonkers together lottery up the wazzu.

DD, also really coming thru lately. took one heck of a jaw to floor late 2night. hope its a tooth or cut lip and not much more. he looked drunk as **** going to the lockerroom. concusion maybe? the kid needs to put on 30 pounds of muscle, no way around it. he has the shot and the tools. he needs weight. muscle would allow him to be far above the rim which he already gets over and be a force as a 3. were playing him as a 4 but hes a 3 imho furutre wise, its just the size this year...imagine him with some weight so no sf could push him around, he would be lenghtly compared to most. now add in his stroke form 3, his average handle for the position and what seems to be a nice inside game for his tools. as a 3 he would look good with his post moves and lane cuts. as a 4 right now he looks a bit overmatched between a bigger defender and also being skinny. just like Nolan, i look at what KO does with DD this summer. if he can put on weight and improve, watch out for a coming out party next year.

Gif is Gif. same story different game. hes simply a nice glue guy, rock solid and a quality piece to any good team. always has been and always will be. every once in a while he has a night and sometimes u didn't know he was there. but he always gets a board or makes a pass or a steal and has some type of influence. love having him on the roster but hes never going to be the answer, just his style of play. i hope we can land him a nice euro pro deal 2 years from now, he would be a huge asset to the program connections wise in time if so.

Evans is a great 1 year rental. he really is. he is beefy as a guard, mentally there and agressive. he gets it, the game and why he is there. its fun to watch. i can't help but think hes a quality guy in the locker room from the way the younger guys seem to interact with him. very happy with him. i hope he enjoys the expierence being able to put the home state name on his chest.

no Leon 2night? well from the overall look of it so far hes last depth wise of the group. from what i saw though his ship was not a throw away. he clealry has some pittsnogle(wvu big trashy man years ago) in him just a couple inches smaller. he seems like a nice pf project. we may not see much of him until his jr or sr year i feel becuase we will recruit some stud to play asap i think soon. will be interesting to see if he stays here 4 years to see the potential out or not and if he develops into something. he looked to have a shot on him and a good handle for a 4 man that young. we shall see in time...

Allen, had to mention him. another home state kid. i appreciate his work ethic and what he brings. its nice to have a extra pice to call upon in tough times. i noticed on tv KO shook each kids hand and after he finished the end of the line with walkons he went back and said a extra thing to Allen. family counts and so does effort. the kid has it. just a nice extra piece on the roster, no other way to explain it. glad the extra ship went to him since we couldn't fill it with a player that could help right away.

10-2. thrilled here. in the 3 big games we played we went 1-2. we were in all 3 of them. not upset at all. we have a couple other ok wins so our rpi/sos i figure isn't brillant but not bad either. the BE schedule will take care of that anyway. i think in a typical UConn year with what i saw, 11-1 or 12-0 would be expected but all things considering, 10-2 this year is great. hell if we went 9-3 but things went like they are i think i would be writing the same thing. under that then i think were having a different talk about some players or styles.

boards issue, i keep seeing ppl bitch about it. we are not going to board better than any good team and most ****ty teams either. just a simple fact. its how we are built. but KO knows that and he has us winning all the other things to make up for that. if we wanted to board well and commit to that, then other things wouldn't be so dominate for us. i like the style he has decided to go with, its one that for this team this year can work and get us possibly to a 20ish win season.

one of the flaws this team has is its fire power. we have a couple good scorers but i don't see enough of a force where we can ever distance ourselves in a game for good early or late. we are a bit streaky and just not built for ass kicking points wise, we are more grind and shine. its a bit different lifestyle wise then past UConn teams but KO seems to be making it work adjusting to the roster he has. almost has the feel of a B1G type bball style. ;)

anything .500 or better i think seemed to be the overall mark this year in a lot of heads pre season. sitting at 10-2 looking at the schedule i think we can break it down a bit. i'm going to asume DD is not a long injury for this.

next 5? @marq, dep, @nd, lville, @pitt. thats a tough opening stretch. 3 ranked teams and marq is not a game we will be favored in. 1-4 is the realistic look at it from outside eyes who are looking at nothing but names and records/rpis/schedules. i would argue that 1-4 would be the base i would hope for. depual is better but they are still a team we should beat, i would worry about melvin having a game on us. i hope for 2-3 in that 5 game run, i think thats fair to this team, anything more than that is a great 5 game stretch. its the toughest stretch we have and a real slap in the face to open the BE schedule up. 3 tough roads games and a visit from lville who is one of only a handul of teams in the country at best that can matchup with our great guards. i'm gong to say 2-3 for this run. the only tragic ending is a 0-5 to start the BE schedule. we need to be mentally tough the depaul game and get a W when we need one.

next 5? ruty, @prov, usf, @sju, @shu. time to heal up the wounds. no reason 3-2 shouldn't be the base here and 4-1 or 5-0 are very realistic expectations. none of those teams whould be better than uconn this year. as suaul tho, for 4 of these teams playing uconn is there super bowl so we can't be mentally hurt from the first 5 game stretch. enough said. i'll say 4-1 and 3-2 or worse is tragic and something injury wise or elsewhere has happened to this team.

next 5? cuse, nova, cincy, @dep, gtown. 4 of 5 at home, gotta like that. hopefully we are rolling from the last 5 and if so momentum could be key here as 2 or 3 of the 5 we will prob be home dogs wich is rare for uconn as a program. again we need to take care of business in depaul and the nova game looks winable on paper. cincy is a interesting streaky team this year. with 4 of 5 at home and the road game being depaul, i say 3-2 is the relaistic pick here, anything more is great and depending on a 2-3 record vs who it could be a letdown. both 2-3 and 4-1 are possible but i'll go with 3-2 for this 5 game stretch.

the final 3 are @cincy, @usf and prov. cincy will either be looking for revenge or tney blood resume style at home in the 2nd game of the matchup this year, real tough one i view it as. the next to are winnable and imho where ko shines. no matter the tough year these games could easily mean a 20 win seaosn or not for perception record wise. win these and ko is mentally tough enhough to keep his guys mentally tough enough. i like uconn going 2-1 in this final stretch. anything less is a letdown and 3-0 is compltely possible but a tough one in cincy holds me back from saying yes to it. by this point i expect prov and usf to be wishing the seasons are over. one thing to not forget is if prov gets all 9 of its all american players that are hurt back in time for this last game of the year, would not surprise me one bit.

final record? i see 21-9. earlier this year i thik 9 ooc wins and 20 wins total were goals many had as gauges. ko sure as hell passed the first half of it and i have faith he will shine in time in the 2nd half of it. the first stretch may bring out the clowns, trolls and questions with such a tough stretch but i think all things considered we will pull tru and finish this year with extremely positive thoughts going into next year.

lets land 2 or 3 recruits now. get us a big guy and either a guar dor wing and lets go to war. if the big guy is impact right away then god help any team next year that gets in our way, i mean that with the worst interntions possible. i want blood. for jc, ko and everyone else who i as a fan fight for in my rooting passion for uconn. i was to rip ncaa heads off with our fast breaks and have other major programs crying in there offices about how ko is our next guys for 30 years and who the hell are they going to replace there old white guy coaches with. we solved the probelm years before a lot of programs have to, thanks to jc for that. it hasn't clicked in a lot of your heads yet, but it will in time. the guy was a ****ing master of puppets and i pray rain of the coldest degree on every other college basketball team for the next 30 years.

21-9, i can see it and i would be very happy with it. 10 toes in. what say u?

We gotta get you laid. WTF?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I like your proposed lineup but I noticed tonight that we had a tough time scoring the ball when Boat wasn't in the game. I think Wolf and Olander need to be interchanged depending on the present matchup, like Ollie did a wonderful job doing tonight (N'Dyaie out, Wolf in)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Perhaps that lineup will work for a few minutes but risks rapid foul accumulation for both players which would out us in the hurt locker. DD at the four has a natural quickness advantage which has helped him score off quick drives etc...at the three he no longer has a quickness advantage and IMO would struggle. ,overall, the team would have poorer ballhandling and passing

Reaction Score
Agreed with formerlurker Dan......or else we need to get that Scarface pile away from your computer!! LOL:eek:

Reaction Score
HFD- you do realize that with all the games Boaty missed last year hes basically "Halfway thru his Frosh year" Not many guys can twist there ankles like Boaty and have the heart or the will to come back and play. Kid is a warrior. With that said 10 toes in my boy. Excited for our future in Basketball. Coach Calhoun was saying he might not be done coaching, im hoping that he hops on as an assistant. Imagine having Big Jim on the bench helping K.O. lead this team. With Calhouns brain/brawn and Ollies way to reach his team this team/future will be scary. Lets start landing some 5* recruits and do work.

Reaction Score
Please cut the length of your post by about 75%. Like most others I start to read and quit because they are so long!!

Reaction Score
Alright I actually Evelyn Wooded the post and I like most of it........I have to say while I liked TO early int he year the guy who has played the last 5-6 games has no right seeing more than 10 minutes because they lose pace every time he hits the floor......again call it position or whatever he's not playing good basketball on either end at all. Right away last night a guard came baseline and he did a nice job helping expect he left his feet and then put his arms down making the foul and it wasn't hard enough even to stop the gu from making the shot - unacceptable. #1 he did not have to jump at any point and he's not a shot blocker so why? He helps without his hands, in other words you leave your guy on the low post to help in the middle you know your guy will be open so the penetrating guard will look there if he's good, your arms need to be out to deflect that pass from where you came from, if it gets by fine....well 2 or 3 did last night and right by him by inches without a deflection, this is something your taught early on.........granted Boat needs to keep his guy in front of him more often too rather than the steal or jumping to block shots from 18 feet but Tyler needs to be prepared and smarter........he needs to get a right hand also as he's too small to finish one way and they are waiting for him to end up there thanks to scouting.........I will say this, he should just move his feet, box people out, hit some people coming through and play physical but suddenly he thinks he's offensive threat when 20 feet out and backing people in!!

He needs to get back to basics, play hard and let the game come to him, pass the ball and work the boards to earn time back. even when EW is not playing real well the 7 foot in him makes a difference......for now providing foul trouble is not a concern their minutes need to be 75-25............and your thought of the 2 of them together? No thanks, TO can't guard most of the PFs in the BE they are way too athletic for him.......

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just love all of you! I love watching Enosch battling down low! I hate when Andy Katz brings up the APR; he's beating a dead horse!

Reaction Score
Jeez, I thought I had written a long post until I opened up this thread. Shockingly, I actually did read the whole thing, and I agree with many of your thoughts. I thought you were a bit off in your evaluation of Boatright - he's been our best player for the last couple weeks. And as much as it sucks to have kids out of position, at least next year they will have the ability to play multiple positions, which will give KO the benefit of trotting out many different lineup combinations.

I agree with Caw in that 21 wins is pushing it a bit - I think nine conference wins is a realistic target to shoot for, and even that will be tough. This is still a very limited team, with some tremendously raw post players, that is going to struggle to beat anybody on the road. I'm thinking 2-3 in the first five games, 3-2 in the second five games, 2-3 in the third five, and 2-1 in the final three. I wouldn't be completely shocked if we only won six or seven conference games though. The Big East is a meat-grinder, and even teams like Seton Hall, St. Johns, Providence, etc. have given us trouble on the road in recent years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so so far on this we went 2-3 in the 1st 5 game stretch and are 2-0 in the next 5 game stretch. i will recap the 1st 5 game stretch and wait for the next 5 to end before going over it...

@marq was a tuff opener, they had done that to us in the past i think in novak years if i remember right. as far as im concerned with that game, if we were ncaa tney eligible i think our school should have raised hell to replay the overtime. we should have been 10 secs into ot with a 2 point lead...not saying that would have given us the win, but it sure as heck matters and i wish that was replayed or called correctly. this game was the start of the foul or not up 3 debate that will rage here until townson hits the rent next fall. fair enough, its a strategy thing. i am not for it but i do see its use. all i ask from ko is that he stays consistent in his approach with that issue and if he changes his style then give us the 2 cents why. educate the fanbase. that kid who tied the game to send it to ot is a nice player, but he couldn't hit my gf if she was yelling in his face that night. lucky for marq and a tuff start for uconn in the be this year. it was somewhat of a welcome to the ig east ko mixed with the ref us doggy style. yeehaw. notes:
-bazz had himself 1 hell of a game
-only 7 to's. we handled the ball well considering marq plays small and fiesty
-gif and wolf were solid off the bench. wolf continues to develope...
-besides bazz we were cold from 3, dd had a tuff game

next was depaul at home. we came out and ripped them to pieces. it was great to watch us not harp on the marq game and just ball out. i actually got mad with about 5 minutes left in the 1st because we were getting a bit cocky with what we were trying to do on O. ko i remember yelled at bazz or boat forget which to get there act together and calm things down. i liked that he saw what was going on and wans't going to tolerate it. a normal uconn team has a high flyer that can bring the house down. think gordon or sticks types or rudy etc. we dont really have that this year so the alley hoops and stuff aren't our goto move in those times this year. we missed 1 or 2 and then ko got things back going to good solid ball. dep made a couple runs but the game was never a question. it was good to lock down this win with the next 3 all being uphill climbs. notes:
-dropping 99 points in a big east game is a serious night i dont care who your playing. the big east as we know it and this year is still a solid 16, no team lets that happen without a couple fights in the parking lot. we were just on.
-this was a big night rebounding. it was a combo of depaul only having melvin and not much else really down low and they were missing a ton. melvin is a nice forward but we are able to handle 1 player like that. i will talk more about this later. i think this was the start of the fake hopes ppl had on the boards because they didn't think about matchups.
-dd had a monster night, wolf again off the bench was great
-boat got hot this game and bazz noticed and played jkidd style. it was fun to watch

@nd was next. espn was pumping nd at this point and we looked like a top 25 team getting no respect becuase of the ncaa issues. what i saw was nd has that nice pf and a nice pf off the bench. but they had no big guy and not much besides that to hurt us on the boards. we won the boards battle and i think back to back games made ppl think we fixed our baords issue. just not the case, ppl here wanted to believe a drill was the cure, i think its simply the matchups. were just not going to be a boards team this year with what we have, ppl need to accept that. but then ppl ask how can we compete and win? we do literally all of the other things. we spread out fouls, force to's, we have a good amount of blocks every game and we protect the ball on o. we really counter the boards issue vs bigger teams by winning all the other stats. its a major counter attack that teams can't handle our guards and style of play. u have to credit ko with tkaing this approach. i can't stress it enough. the highlight of this game for me was boats family packing the place. a huge s/o to his fam and friends, that was a strong showing. that was what uconn is all about. family. it honestly made me so pumped up. your at nd where its 99% old white ppl pissed at uconna nd drunk private school students with trust funds. then there wasboats family just looking for blood behind the bench. it was a bueaty of a site to see. f the haters, thats uconn family! notes:
-30-22 we won the boards as i explained my thoughts on that
-wolf off the bench got in foul trouble quick and never got a footing in this game
-olander had a great game, 16pts and 7 boards with some other good things. why? because the matchup was gold for him. nd didn't have a big, they have 2 pfs who are like olander who is a pf not a center. remember my whole oldaner out of position argument and why ppl here need to stop ripping him and instead be happy he is able to just eat up minutes...this game wa sperfect for him to show off he is a very capable 4 man but its just not in our best interest to use him at minutes there. so be it. it seems ko i not into the big lineup i want to play. i hope next year with so more depth we see it at times, i think it would really help us.
-bazz had a solid game but boat was forcing things a bit and had a so so night. ended it with good foul shots if i remember right, nice to do that in front of the boatshow roadshow. i hope the ncaa felt like watching its cash cow get beat by uconn with the boat family packing the house after what they did to them the year before.
-omar had a quiet game but u could just tell every game hes developing more and more.
-we only played 8 guys all game and the 3 off the bench only got 30ish minutes. it was all about the starting 5 that night

then #1 lville came to hartford. it was mixed emotions. diehards were pumped up but we didn't sell the place out. a mix of a down year and uconn marketing is to balme. anyway, we cam e out looking for blood. had them on the ropes in the 1st half. u could feel the energy and the drive this team had. the end of the 1st half was ugly, a couple bad posession made the score close at half, we could have ben up 8-10 points. i think that was kind of deflating going into the half only up 6. but none the less a great half. the issue was we didn't know how bad bazz was hurt. hes a gamer and tuffed it out, but in the 2nd it was clear he was maybe 75%. the lville backcourt is good enough where hat hurt us. they wore us down with the press and we on to whop us in the 2nd. it was a tuff night with emotions high then low. but even as the last 5 minutes were game over time, this team was still hustling and trying, that drive is eveything ko reps and its great to watch the team take that attitude and never pack it in. notes:
-bazz got hammered on that dirve where the lville guy came down on top of him, glad he didn't get a serious injury from that
-lvilee bigs controlled the boards but the key was where we usually make up the difference. lville is a great team, so they were able to balance our usual strong side of the game. they had just as many assists and blocks and to's were close. that was the difference in the 2nd.
-our bench was very quiet and olander had a tuff time with the lville bigs
-best part of the night was omar, he showed in tuff times what he is made of. went off for 20 points and really stated to show some finished polish on his game we are watching develope
-bazz, boat and dd all had ok nights each getting there due, but none of them were able to have great nights. that was the balance of lville having talent to match up with those guys.

lastly we traveled to pitt. the scum of the earth as we know it. we lost a close one. we got beat up in the 1st half and battled all the way abck in the 2nd but just couldnt get ourselves off the hump. as usual, playing @pitt is trouble for any road teama nd we showed some youth on the road. pitt won why? they beat us on the boards, but they were able to counter the other stats also. thats clearly the way to beat us this year. pitt had a extremely balanced scoring attack that night, points spread everywhere. boat scored 20 but he shot a ton and it was not a % night for sure. bazz semed to be showing signs that he still wasn't 100% after lville. notes:
-wolf had a nice game off the bench
-omar had a nice role game scoring and playing tuff
-6-22 from 3 killed us down the stretch.
-we didn't block any shots this game

all in all, the 1st 5 game stretch was what i thought it was. tuff and our worst stretch of the season. we went 2-3 as i thought we would. we really were very close to 3-2 as that marq blunder by the ref still stings. we watched omar and wolf continue to develope, dd emerge at times and we got some sloid bench minutes but also some tuff bench nights. we got a huge road win for ko on his belt. we hung tuff at pitt and we had #1 lville on the ropes in the 1st half. this team has major heart and bite. we can play with anyone i think but we are just thin when it comes down to trying times in games vs good teams. at this point, i see no reason why 21 wins as i think is the end # not being possible. i am looking forward to some wins in the next 5...

Reaction Score
A lineup of wolf, olander, Daniels, calhoun and boat/bazz at the point leaves us with a 4 who can't guard college 4s, a 3 who will get ripped by college 3s all day, and a 2 who can't handle the ball. No thanks.

As far as Olander v. Adrien in the midrange pick and pop, I don't think there's any reason to prefer Olander besides this unfounded myth that he's some deadeye faceup 4 with a killer J. There's nothing that bears that out in practice. Seems like a great kid who works hard but is simply overmatched at this level, despite the fact that he made an uncontested layup against Butler.

Too many beverages at dinner to say any more.

Reaction Score
Although I have also thought about having these out of position players slotted into their natural places as HFD suggests, I don't think that would be a good lineup for us and would definitely expose us to earlier foul trouble as others have suggested. We have settled into a nice rotation that allows some mismatches with other teams that have post advantages over us. Somehow it works and we are able to score and get enough from steals and good D that we come out with wins. TO and EW are not good enough offensive players to both start together while DD and OC are. When either Tyler or Wolf is having a better offensive or defensive output than DD or OC maybe some additional minutes are warranted but not a real change in the starting line-up like suggested. I can't believe how much Ollie has been able to do with this roster!! Great work and great development of gritty players.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
4-1 in this 2nd 5 game stretch. hit another mark set on the march towards 21. will review it later witht he next 5 relook

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
[ " lets land 2 or 3 recruits now. get us a big guy and either a guar dor wing and lets go to war. if the big guy is impact right away then god help any team next year that gets in our way, i mean that with the worst interntions possible. i want blood. for jc, ko and everyone else who "i as a fan fight for in my rooting passion for uconn. i was to rip ncaa heads off with our fast breaks and have other major programs crying in there offices about how ko is our next guys for 30 years and who the hell are they going to replace there old white guy coaches with. we solved the probelm years before a lot of programs have to, thanks to jc for that. it hasn't clicked in a lot of your heads yet, but it will in time. the guy was a ing master of puppets and i pray rain of the coldest degree on every other college basketball team for the next 30 years." ]

I'm right there with you brother . If the guards come back will have the best guard trio in the country. Lets try to add one more piece and get it done next year. The rest of the guys should at least improve enough for us to have better balance and they'll add some upperclass muscle. I'd love to see KO get to a final 4 next year and have Calhoun cut a piece of the net down. How beautiful would that be?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
[ " lets land 2 or 3 recruits now. get us a big guy and either a guar dor wing and lets go to war. if the big guy is impact right away then god help any team next year that gets in our way, i mean that with the worst interntions possible. i want blood. for jc, ko and everyone else who "i as a fan fight for in my rooting passion for uconn. i was to rip ncaa heads off with our fast breaks and have other major programs crying in there offices about how ko is our next guys for 30 years and who the hell are they going to replace there old white guy coaches with. we solved the probelm years before a lot of programs have to, thanks to jc for that. it hasn't clicked in a lot of your heads yet, but it will in time. the guy was a ing master of puppets and i pray rain of the coldest degree on every other college basketball team for the next 30 years." ]

I'm right there with you brother . If the guards come back will have the best guard trio in the country. Lets try to add one more piece and get it done next year. The rest of the guys should at least improve enough for us to have better balance and they'll add some upperclass muscle. I'd love to see KO get to a final 4 next year and have Calhoun cut a piece of the net down. How beautiful would that be?

2 beautiful. i have news tho. bazz will be going pro after this year and will be a mid to late 1st rounder. so we will be adding a gaurd and 1 more this class at some point. its best for all parties no matter how the 99% here spin it. if u remember last year we had a up and down year. transfers, potential, jc and so much more. ad and lamb went pro so this got swept under the rug basically but at one point in the sping bazz had to come out and say he was coming back. everyone laughed quickly and then went on talking about scoe, ad, ao and lmb and jc and so on. completely overlooked. sometimes most dont know everything going on. bazz has turned into a very specal player and what hes doing this year is great. hes basically taking over games and turning it on when needed but also taking one for the program and developing the rest of the team with his play for 30 minutes just leading but notscoring/hogging the ball. him and boat do not fit together at alll ont he court but hes working with it and not getting wild/upset about it. not many college kids would do that. the pg class is very wak this year. uconns connections to the nba make bazz a level above most guards as the word from uconn saying hes a stud means more to the nba heads then jsut about every other schools saying they have something. also, bazz isn't growing and thats the 1 knock. its best to take $ while your hot and next year a lot of lenghtly kids will be in the draft guard wise. bazz no matter the year he had would get put down by that on lists. this is his shot and it makes sense for him and his family. it also makes sense for uconn bball. getting another pro in the nba helps on that front. but its also going to help rebuild this roster. boat playing a lot of 2 has slowly caused himself a mess. hes a 1 and as result hes forcing thigs and also hesitating at times. omar is a 2 and dd is a 3 etc etc. the end result is its good for both sides for bazz to go and he will be going pro. im very happy for him and im extremely thankful he didn't go last year. he would have been a 2nd rounder and the $ would be blah. it was a smart decision that paid off for him. i love that kid.

now, because of this i see us grabbing a guard and then either a sf or another big. we have ome guys on the radar it seems but aren't hot on many. i think ko has something up his sleve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom