1 thing we know without a doubt | The Boneyard

1 thing we know without a doubt

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley can make A+ Halftime adjustments. Every game, his team comes out in the second half and immediately you see the difference. Tonights game, they simply had a player sit at the foul line ready to double in the weakside post and force rotations. Simple, effective, has totally destroyed Iona.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Danny Hurley can make A+ Halftime adjustments. Every game, his team comes out in the second half and immediately you see the difference. Tonights game, they simply had a player sit at the foul line ready to double in the weakside post and force rotations. Simple, effective, has totally destroyed Iona.

I agree that he must say/do something effective during halftime
That being said:
1. I think DH needs to look at his substitution patterns because the team loses a lot of consistency at more than one point in a game - yes he needs to substitute but maybe needs to be more reactive to shifts in momentum, and
2, What do you want him to do with your chatroom whipping kid Mr. Gaffney?;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That being said:
1. I think DH needs to look at his substitution patterns because the team loses a lot of consistency at more than one point in a game - yes he needs to substitute but maybe needs to be more reactive to shifts in momentum, and

Agreed. We are going to love Gaffney when all is said and done. Four years, and he’s crafty with a nice handle and decent size. He missed time, was not healthy and didn’t look good today. he probably won’t get much time vs IU. But he needs to play a ton in the three games after that. We need him to be reliable for league play.

Whaley worries me more. Flashed some offense but we need defense and rebounding from him. He did neither. Missing Springs. I’d rather not use Akok at the 5.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is an EXCELLENT in game coach. This team isn’t super talented. 2/3rds of our main pieces are 3-Star kids Ollie offered in the late periods of their senior years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is an EXCELLENT in game coach. This team isn’t super talented. 2/3rds of our main pieces are 3-Star kids Ollie offered in the late periods of their senior years.

Who fits that description besides Vital and Whaley (not a main piece)?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more on your second point. In fact, you're flat-out wrong.

Reaction Score
not a huge fan of hurley’s substitution patterns in this game. he was essentially doing line shifts between starters and reserves. when the reserves were in iona went on their runs.

think it would be more effective to make less drastic changes to the lineup throughout the game and work individual players in.

also...can’t run out that lineup of gaffney, adams, sid, akok, whaley ever again. there is literally no playmaking in that lineup and we were shutout for a stretch there.

Reaction Score
I still think when this team goes up by ten we need to be up by more. After first half it’s so close the second half comes and the team just stomps on the gas pedal. We need to stop on the gas pedal from the beginning. This team does look more established than the last two years.

Reaction Score
That being said:

I'm not sure what's up with Gaffney, but he has been given a lot of minutes and has had almost no impact or contribution in that time. He looks very tentative, doesn't play with force, hasn't shown the athleticism that I was expecting, and I'm just not sure what he brings to the table. At some point, putting someone in who literally produces no production at all is a huge negative for our team. For example, look at the advanced stats:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 7.57.00 AM.png

Again, not attacking the kid, and who knows what he develops into, he's just a pup. But he is literally well below average in every productive category. Its grim at the moment. At some point if he doesn't figure out how to contribute Hurley will have to figure out how to better distribute his 10 minutes per game.

Also looking at the future, I think we were all pretty locked into Gaffney being a serious contributor/backup by next year to RJ Cole. Looking at what he's shown thus far, has to make us a bit nervous.

Reaction Score

Second halves on the year:

Sacred Heart +19
Saint Joe's +7
Florida -2
Buffalo +11
Xavier +10
Miami +16
Maine +17
Iona +17

I feel pretty good if the game's close at the half.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's up with Gaffney, but he has been given a lot of minutes and has had almost no impact or contribution in that time. He looks very tentative, doesn't play with force, hasn't shown the athleticism that I was expecting, and I'm just not sure what he brings to the table. At some point, putting someone in who literally produces no production at all is a huge negative for our team. For example, look at the advanced stats:

View attachment 48860

Again, not attacking the kid, and who knows what he develops into, he's just a pup. But he is literally well below average in every productive category. Its grim at the moment. At some point if he doesn't figure out how to contribute Hurley will have to figure out how to better distribute his 10 minutes per game.

Also looking at the future, I think we were all pretty locked into Gaffney being a serious contributor/backup by next year to RJ Cole. Looking at what he's shown thus far, has to make us a bit nervous.

He's a freshman who has played 84 minutes of college ball. It's such a small sample size at this point and we have to remember he was hurt/it takes some kids longer to adjust to the speed. If we are having the same discussion late in the season I'll be worried.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As much as having depth is a great thing I think Hurley loses track of who is on the court. There have been times where we end up with some pretty clumsy lineups

Reaction Score
Second halves on the year:

Sacred Heart +19
Saint Joe's +7
Florida -2
Buffalo +11
Xavier +10
Miami +16
Maine +17
Iona +17

I feel pretty good if the game's close at the half.
I remember they put up a graphic during the game last night that we are something like +1 in the first half and +95 in the second half. I know we have been a second half team so far, but thats just a really crazy stat how night and day it is from the first and second half.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dan will start to cut down on his rotations. The starting 5 played lights out for most of the game. Whalley, Wilson and Gaffney will see their minutes reduced going forward assuming no one gets hurt or lazy. Gaffney probably the most, but he is a freshman so it's not a huge issue. He should be fine as he matures.

Vital
Gilbert
Akok
Carlton
Polley
Bouknight
Adams
Whalley
Wilson
Gaffney

The most exciting thing for me last night was the variety on offense. Not something we've seen regularly since Ben and Emeka were running the floor, maybe Williams, Gay and Boone dissecting Cuse's zone.

Reaction Score

View attachment 48860

You’ve seen the difference between Brendan Adams last season and this season, right?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Fractions are hard.
An anagram of "fractions" is "iron facts"

There are 10 scholarship players.

Hurley recruited Adams, Akok, Bouknight, and Gaffney. That's 40%. 40% > ⅓. Game over for the guy who said that the team is ⅔ late-signed 3-stars.

But wait, there's more.

Ollie recruited Gilbert, who was a McD's AA, though shows as a 4-star. Wilson also was a 4-star. Now we're up to 60% of the roster,. That's almost ⅔.

Ollie also recruited Vital, Polley, Carlton, and Whaley. All of them were indeed later recruits. Three of them were indeed 3-stars. Whaley was not ranked.

@UcannUconn is not correct in his ⅔ claim that has already been criticized elsewhere.

I already know that this roster ***by high school rating alone** does not measure up to UConn's better teams from the Calhoun era.

For the purpose of having a healthy perspective, I am wondering how a roster with five 4-stars and four 3-stars stacks up against other schools' current rosters.

Is such a composition typically indicative of a top 25 team?
Top 50?
NCAA Tournament team?
NIT?

I think the answer might come as a surprise to many here. I suspect many other than myself do not know the answer, and that many who do not know post with bravado that might be reduced if based on a more informed picture.

I also have an undetailed awareness that Virginia and Houston last year had rosters composed of players not notably ranked highly.

Again, I'm asking only as to rankings. Player development and maturity of upperclassmen are very important, as are team chemistry, injury profiles, and other factors that go into any team's seasonal performance.

Thanks in advance.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score

View attachment 48860

Gaff will be fine. Just hasn’t acclimated to the college level yet. It’ll click, be patient. Kid has only played 8 games and was injured for a large part of the pre-season.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is such a pup with as stated earlier has only played 84 minutes and missing so many practices. I'm not concerned in the least imo he's going to be really good for us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That being said:

Been saying this since the start. Wholesale hockey shifts are annoying as hell.

You should be keeping as many of your best players on the floor as possible. You want them going up against other teams second string guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Who fits that description besides Vital and Whaley (not a main piece)?

The late period comment is definitely off, but both Josh and Polley were 3stars too. I think Josh may have gotten a 4star from one service towards the end but don't know for sure.

That's three of the five starters in 3 range. And first backup big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom