#1 Goes to........ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#1 Goes to........

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great athlete, yes. But Great Shooter? Eh. Scoring Threat? Yes.

She has a problem with jacking up bad shots, over & over, and over again. It played in her favor this year, because let's face it she was Phoenix's only real option to score. Shooting 36% from the floor, and 28% from three isn't what I'd consider a good shooter Eric. :p

But I'd take EDD over her in a heartbeat. But what can I say, I'm bias.
I think we basically agree, and of course you can look at her stats and say what you said, but those are from 2012. in the 2 years prior, her 3 point % combined was 35% and her over all FG% was 44%. Those are much more respectable numbers given in 2012 she was the primary focus of defenders. And, I think she came off the bench those 2 years and in both seasons IIRC she won the "6th man of the year" award...

Put Taylor, Taurasi, Griner and Dupree out there and i'm betting she won't jack up as many bad shots. And you are right, I think EDD is a more valuable player but I still disagree that she's a "major" upgrade. Come on Coler - we can at least agree on that right?!! :)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think we basically agree, and of course you can look at her stats and say what you said, but those are from 2012. in the 2 years prior, her 3 point % combined was 35% and her over all FG% was 44%. Those are much more respectable numbers given in 2012 she was the primary focus of defenders. And, I think she came off the bench those 2 years and in both seasons IIRC she won the "6th man of the year" award...

Put Taylor, Taurasi, Griner and Dupree out there and i'm betting she won't jack up as many bad shots. And you are right, I think EDD is a more valuable player but I still disagree that she's a "major" upgrade. Come on Coler - we can at least agree on that right?!! :)

I agree with that she's better coming off the bench, which is what she'll be doing next season most likely.

I guess we agree that EDD is a upgrade over Bonner. :p

Reaction Score
Hear! Hear! Cam is right!

In my many years following basketball, I have often read about players who "can play all five positions." Pure hyperbole by fans or publicists whose enthusiasm trumps their judgment.

Before EDD, Parker was the most recent victim of this falsehood. On the men's side, LeBron James.

There is ONLY ONE player who DID play all five positions: Magic Johnson.

The dozens of others so hyped are products of imaginations on steroids.

Oscar played center on the Cin team that went to the FF and PG in pros. He could play all 5 positions.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Kib - love your new avatar!!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'm sure she has. But there will always be questions, AND RIGHTFULLY SO, about EDD and basketball.

When in your opinion will she be able to shake off these questions? I swear I'm not being snarky, I honestly want to know what she would have to do for this reputation to wear off. She's been committed to basketball for the last 3 years, so it seems like she's all in.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib - love your new avatar!!

Thank you. Your compliment came on the same day I got my first 2012 request to speak at one of the schools for Veterans Day.

Permit a digression. Last year, when I spoke at a middle school, a girl (about 7th grade?) asked, "What was your immediate reaction when you got wounded?"

I have a policy of never telling personal "war stories" but she knew I had a Purple Heart, so I simply drew on my vast experience on the Boneyard to provide a response suitable for the audience and free of dramatics. I answered: "Let's say it was not an LOL moment -- definitely an OMG moment." The kids understood that. (For high school kids I may have said it was a WTF moment. Maybe, maybe not.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The opinion at half time is that Phoenix will take Griner then shop her to get EDD?? Either way I will enjoy Phoenix next season.

Reaction Score
I hope they aren't that stupid.

EDD is a great player, but Griner is a once in a lifetime player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Peck seems to be convinced that EDD is the player that Phoenix wants.

Coler, your wish may come true. You may not have to move to Chicago.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The opinion at half time is that Phoenix will take Griner then shop her to get EDD?? Either way I will enjoy Phoenix next season.
If Phoenix does anything BUT take Griner and keep her, the entire front office should promptly be fired.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Defensively EDD is definitely a PF in the WNBA. She's not gong to be able to defend WNBA wings. And offensively she plays much more like a stretch 4 than any kind of SF.

She can use her size to mask lack of foot speed at the 3 (e.g., Mike Dunleavy). She cannot defend the stronger power forwards in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
By the way, there was a funny exchange of tweets between John Altavilla & Rebecca Lobo.

JohnA made some comment about Phx possibly not taking Griner.
And Rebecca said something like "Uh, no one's actually suggesting that, are they?"
JohnA "Yes, Carolyn Peck."
You could just tell that Rebecca was thinking "Oh crap. How do I get out of this w/o calling her an idiot (which she is for making such a ludicrous statement.)"
Later, Rebecca just replied to him: "Phx will definitely take BG."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When in your opinion will she be able to shake off these questions? I swear I'm not being snarky, I honestly want to know what she would have to do for this reputation to wear off. She's been committed to basketball for the last 3 years, so it seems like she's all in.
Probably never will (I mean in her playing days). Don't think she can do much about it now. She made her bed, she has to lie in it. Just the way it is. Probably by the time she is done playing, people won't wonder.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thank you. Your compliment came on the same day I got my first 2012 request to speak at one of the schools for Veterans Day.

Permit a digression. Last year, when I spoke at a middle school, a girl (about 7th grade?) asked, "What was your immediate reaction when you got wounded?"

I have a policy of never telling personal "war stories" but she knew I had a Purple Heart, so I simply drew on my vast experience on the Boneyard to provide a response suitable for the audience and free of dramatics. I answered: "Let's say it was not an LOL moment -- definitely an OMG moment." The kids understood that. (For high school kids I may have said it was a WTF moment. Maybe, maybe not.)

Maybe a MF moment?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yup. Eric I agree. Think Peck just had to fill air. Meanwhile, it broke my heart ;) to see Cappy and Vaughn go flat in the second half.

Reaction Score
Probably never will (I mean in her playing days). Don't think she can do much about it now. She made her bed, she has to lie in it. Just the way it is. Probably by the time she is done playing, people won't wonder.

So because she didn't play basketball for one year, she will be questioned about her commitment to basketball after let's say 10 years of actually playing? It's one thing if she took a break in the middle of her professional career but that whole situation was before she ever played a game in college. She's played the college game like any other draftee and has played for USA Basketball. She may not have been committed to UConn basketball but it looks as though she's still committed to the game overall.

Reaction Score
If healthy, Phoenix might have a chance to run the table...

Prahalis (maybe upgrade at PG?), Taurasi, Taylor, Bonner, and Griner with Houston/etc. off the bench is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
She's going to a whole lot more problems staying with perimeter players than dealing with stronger power forwards. Her length doesn't only help her on the perimeter. Dunleavy moves better than Elena does, but he also learned to defend perimeter players at the lower levels including college. The only position Elena has defended is the post, and in terms of size she's relatively bigger than Dunleavy. Dirk is a much better comparison both for her style of play, and her size and strength. Like Dirk she'll play the 4 and still be able to use her length as one of the tallest 4's in the league even if she is out muscled at times.

She can use her size to mask lack of foot speed at the 3 (e.g., Mike Dunleavy). She cannot defend the stronger power forwards in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
If healthy, Phoenix might have a chance to run the table...

Prahalis (maybe upgrade at PG?), Taurasi, Taylor, Bonner, and Griner with Houston/etc. off the bench is just ridiculous.

So many of them were injured this year it's easy to forget them all. They have Dupree, too.

With Phoenix, LA, San Antonio and Minnesota so deep and so young, it stands to be a very long time before an Eastern Conference team wins a WNBA championship.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She's going to a whole lot more problems staying with perimeter players than dealing with stronger power forwards. Her length doesn't only help her on the perimeter. Dunleavy moves better than Elena does, but he also learned to defend perimeter players at the lower levels including college. The only position Elena has defended is the post, and in terms of size she's relatively bigger than Dunleavy. Dirk is a much better comparison both for her style of play, and her size and strength. Like Dirk she'll play the 4 and still be able to use her length as one of the tallest 4's in the league even if she is out muscled at times.

Sorry, but Dirk is not a comparison. Being tall with a three point shot does not make Dirk a comparison. Dirk has always been able to be physical on the inside. Delle Donne is more fluid.

And Dunleavy was the designated four in 2001-2002, his junior year (and last season) at Duke.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So because she didn't play basketball for one year, she will be questioned about her commitment to basketball after let's say 10 years of actually playing?
Well that's not how it happened. She made a commitment to basketball and then to UCONN. Then she backed out of her commitment to UCONN and then backed out of her commitment to basketball. Then she decided she wanted to play again. She may or may not be actually questioned, but people will wonder. And if you are making an economic investment in her, you should.

She's played the college game like any other draftee
Not true. Most college players, don't de-commit from a college and walk away from the game, and take up another sport. In fact, I doubt very few do that.

She may not have been committed to UConn basketball but it looks as though she's still committed to the game overall.
Exactly, but we don't know for sure. And with good reason. Exactly what I said. See, you got it, you just didn't realize you got it.

Reaction Score
So after 3 years, should we all be questioning Odyssey Sims' commitment to Baylor and wondering about a transfer to a different school because she initially decommitted? I would think not because all we've seen since is dedication to her team. All we've seen since EDD started playing basketball again is dedication to the game.

Not true. Most college players, don't de-commit from a college and walk away from the game, and take up another sport. In fact, I doubt very few do that.

How is that not true? Will her 4 years of college basketball experience magically disappear on draft day? I'm saying that she will have the same amount of college experience as other draft picks, if not more if you factor in USA Basketball.

Exactly, but we don't know for sure. And with good reason. Exactly what I said. See, you got it, you just didn't realize you got it.

She IS committed to the game and I don't question her dedication to playing in the WNBA. So I don't "get it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom