#1 Goes to........ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#1 Goes to........

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So after 3 years, should we all be questioning Odyssey Sims' commitment to Baylor and wondering about a transfer to a different school because she initially decommitted?
You can if you want, but Simm's situation and EDD's situation were different.

How is that not true?
I explained that to you. It's not about her playing time at Delaware (or USA basketball).

I'm saying that she will have the same amount of college experience as other draft picks, if not more if you factor in USA Basketball.
Which doesn't have anything to do with why people might be cautious with her.

She IS committed to the game and I don't question her dedication to playing in the WNBA. So I don't "get it."
You are changing your tune now. But your first (true) instincts showed through in your initial post. It's ok, it's in the back of your head like most people. It's natural. Don't feel bad.

Reaction Score
You are changing your tune now. But your first (true) instincts showed through in your initial post. It's ok, it's in the back of your head like most people. It's natural. Don't feel bad.

We're doing psychoanalysis over the computer now? Your analysis is incorrect but the attempt was admirable ;)

I know how I feel about the situation and already explained it. I think she's committed to basketball. Why would I need to feel bad about that?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We're doing psychoanalysis over the computer now? Your analysis is incorrect but the attempt was admirable ;)
Well it doesn't really take any psychoanalysis to know what you originally said, and how that is different than what you said subsequent. Since you seem to like psychoanalysis, we'll call it a Freudian Slip, huh? ;)

I know how I feel about the situation and already explained it. I think she's committed to basketball. Why would I need to feel bad about that?
Yes, and that's different from your initial post. You don't need to feel bad about originally thinking she may not be completely trust worthy in her commitments. Like I said when people do what she has done, though we see not all players do that, it gives people pause. Even yourself. Until brought to your attention. And then it doesn't quite fit with what you want as your perceived perception, so you have to change your tune. But like I said, you don't need to feel bad about that, it's natural.

Reaction Score
EDD walk away from basketball for a year. Uconn allowed her to transfer to Delaware and play volleyball but she was not allowed to play basketball that transfer year. The following year she began her basketball career at Delaware.

Reaction Score
Well it doesn't really take any psychoanalysis to know what you originally said, and how that is different than what you said subsequent. Since you seem to like psychoanalysis, we'll call it a Freudian Slip, huh? ;)

Yes, and that's different from your initial post. You don't need to feel bad about originally thinking she may not be completely trust worthy in her commitments. Like I said when people do what she has done, though we see not all players do that, it gives people pause. Even yourself. Until brought to your attention. And then it doesn't quite fit with what you want as your perceived perception, so you have to change your tune. But like I said, you don't need to feel bad about that, it's natural.

Last spring, you consistently indicated that you didn't believe that she left UConn because of her sister, and your reasoning was "that's not how it was presented at the time." I think you have the natural instinct of being unwilling to re-examine your initial assumptions and views, even when presented with new facts. Years later, you are still fighting the "When she was 17, she didn't say she was leaving because her sister, so she must be untrustworthy" battle.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
EDD had a unique situation that she was not prepared to handle. She apparently had not taken into consideration how greatly it would impact her.

She is now a grown woman who has had four years to inventory her life and I'm sure she will be more comfortable with being away from her family and I suspect that she has already planned how she will incorporate traveling back to see her family into her life in a new city.

I understand why some will question her ability to leave her comfort zone but I think she has paid her dues when it comes to that decision of a 17 year old girl. She deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Whichever team gets EDD will be getting a player that will give back to the community and make it a better place than before she arrived. She is a fine young woman who appears to have a much broader perspective on life than the typical college senior.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
EDD walk away from basketball for a year. Uconn allowed her to transfer to Delaware and play volleyball but she was not allowed to play basketball that transfer year. The following year she began her basketball career at Delaware.
From what was reported, she did not want to play basketball. In fact the basketball coach made it a priority not to talk to her about basketball. It wasn't the transfer that kept her from playing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Last spring, you consistently indicated that you didn't believe that she left UConn because of her sister, and your reasoning was "that's not how it was presented at the time." I think you have the natural instinct of being unwilling to re-examine your initial assumptions and views, even when presented with new facts. Years later, you are still fighting the "When she was 17, she didn't say she was leaving because her sister, so she must be untrustworthy" battle.
I think my argument was according to her she didn't leave for her sister, but because she was burned out, as I think it was reported. Really I think the point was her stories didn't coincide with what was really happening. i.e it really was about her sister.

I think you have the natural instinct of being unwilling to re-examine your initial assumptions and views, even when presented with new facts.
Well that would be natural. However, it's usually because the facts are not new, but rather I had already thought through that scenario (not talking about EDD specifically here).

Years later, you are still fighting the "When she was 17, she didn't say she was leaving because her sister, so she must be untrustworthy" battle.
No not really. More to do with committing and decommitting and walking away from basketball. And not as a general untrustworthiness, but specifically when having to do with major life changes that would affect her sister.

And not in a bad way, but more in if your a GM you want to know and probably have talk with her about how she is planning on coping with the situation. Has she thought everything through. Go over all the variables with her, stuff like that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
EDD had a unique situation that she was not prepared to handle. She apparently had not taken into consideration how greatly it would impact her.

She is now a grown woman who has had four years to inventory her life and I'm sure she will be more comfortable with being away from her family and I suspect that she has already planned how she will incorporate traveling back to see her family into her life in a new city.
Agreed. And I think a GM would want to have this discussion with her. How all that will work.

I understand why some will question her ability to leave her comfort zone but I think she has paid her dues when it comes to that decision of a 17 year old girl. She deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Not sure if she has done that yet, where there would be no doubt.

Whichever team gets EDD will be getting a player that will give back to the community and make it a better place than before she arrived. She is a fine young woman who appears to have a much broader perspective on life than the typical college senior.
Let's hope so.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agreed. And I think a GM would want to have this discussion with her. How all that will work.

Not sure if she has done that yet, where there would be no doubt.

Let's hope so.

I'm not saying "no doubt" but just that it may be time to stop judging her on the act of a 17-year-old. If we were all judge at 22 on something that we did at 17 we would all have been carrying around an unfair label.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not saying "no doubt" but just that it may be time to stop judging her on the act of a 17-year-old. If we were all judge at 22 on something that we did at 17 we would all have been carrying around an unfair label.
Don't know anyone who is judging her.

Reaction Score
Don't know anyone who is judging her.

You mean, besides you? You're psychoanalzying and parsing posters words to get at their intent, questioning whether she's really committed when she says she'll play in the WNBA regardless of where she's drafted, and expressing doubt as to whether she really has matured. If you're questioning whether she deserves the benefit of the doubt, you are judging.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The concerns that have been expressed by some (and dismissed by others) about EDD's commitment to basketball would give any WNBA GM pause for thought.

As the old saying goes, "Once bitten, twice shy."

I hope that she is able to find fulfillment wherever she goes. Then we can all go back to wondering if Brianna will join Bria and Breanna and that other Brianna in Storrs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You mean, besides you? You're psychoanalzying and parsing posters words to get at their intent, questioning whether she's really committed when she says she'll play in the WNBA regardless of where she's drafted, and expressing doubt as to whether she really has matured. If you're questioning whether she deserves the benefit of the doubt, you are judging.
I am definitely NOT judging her. You may need to go back and re-read my posts. That's a ridiculous statement on your part.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7, meet Meyers7. Now you know someone.
Likewise, I am not judging her. You guys need to WAKE UP!

[quote="easttexastrash]I understand why some will question her ability to leave her comfort zone.[/quote]
Exactly what I have been saying. Are YOU judging her now???????

Why do you guys have to piss me off so early in the morning.? :mad:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The concerns that have been expressed by some (and dismissed by others) about EDD's commitment to basketball would give any WNBA GM pause for thought.

As the old saying goes, "Once bitten, twice shy."
Exactly.

JS

Reaction Score
Comments on EDD's mental state -- past, present and future -- about the game and about living apart from her family have often had perceived undertones of judgment/resentment that make for degenerating threads. This time is no exception.

In case there's any life to the topic of the draft left in this thread -- apart from our guesses about a lottery team's assessment of the current state of EDD's head -- it'll stay open for a bit. No more on that subject please.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Comments on EDD's mental state -- past, present and future -- about the game and about living apart from her family have often had perceived undertones of judgment/resentment that make for degenerating threads. This time is no exception.

In case there's any life to the topic of the draft left in this thread -- apart from our guesses about a lottery team's assessment of the current state of EDD's head -- it'll stay open for a bit. No more on that subject please.
Thank you. That was getting ridiculous.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Thank you. Your compliment came on the same day I got my first 2012 request to speak at one of the schools for Veterans Day.

Permit a digression. Last year, when I spoke at a middle school, a girl (about 7th grade?) asked, "What was your immediate reaction when you got wounded?"

I have a policy of never telling personal "war stories" but she knew I had a Purple Heart, so I simply drew on my vast experience on the Boneyard to provide a response suitable for the audience and free of dramatics. I answered: "Let's say it was not an LOL moment -- definitely an OMG moment." The kids understood that. (For high school kids I may have said it was a WTF moment. Maybe, maybe not.)

Terrific answer.
I had an uncle who was in WW2 - I believe that he was also taken prisoner by the Germans. That's all I know. He never told ANY stories ever.
He was the most wonderful man. I loved him very much as did my sibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom