“Why did Dan Hurley take on the challenge at UConn...” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Why did Dan Hurley take on the challenge at UConn...”

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely more pressure from U23s and transfer market threats to keep pro soccer players more honest. Add promotion/relegation and or Champions League success/failure to the mix and you have all the motivation one needs to keep their spot

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"The NCAA sanctioned long-time coach Jim Calhoun for recruiting violations in 2011, suspending him for three games and banning the Huskies from postseason play."

...that's not how it happened.

The historical rewrite of these things really sticks in my craw. Shouldn't, as we've won so much, but it does.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
JC gave The Boneyard a shout out when we contributed to the heart charity.

I remember. Well, I remember one of them. We smoked most everybody at one of his cancer walkathons and got invited up onstage to meet him as a group. @Deepster was nervous and nearly fainted.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If someone hasn't already, I think Hurley is asking for a Señor twitter account to tweet at him every day, all day.

If someone tweets him a pick of Testiculo with a quick backstory, I'd die laughing. Has to be one of the young kids though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How did we F up the Werth facility where it needs complete overhauls already

State of CT baby! (please dont' get moved to the cesspool_

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely more pressure from U23s and transfer market threats to keep pro soccer players more honest. Add promotion/relegation and or Champions League success/failure to the mix and you have all the motivation one needs to keep their spot

Didn't say anything about pressure. Just pure time involved. And the transfer thing is done at a level above the manager. Seperation of church and state (coaches vs CEOS vs GMs) alleviates a lot of the burden on the manager.

Pressure is far, far greater in the EPL. I think everybody would agree with that.

pj

Reaction Score
I tweeted one thing at Ollie and he blocked me. It was during the Temple game when he benched Jalen Adams for the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half and blew a lead and lost. I was furious.

I would be furious too if the coach blocked me during a game. He should wait until the game is over to do his Twitter blocking.

Reaction Score
And the transfer thing is done at a level above the manager. Seperation of church and state (coaches vs CEOS vs GMs) alleviates a lot of the burden on the manager.

You sure about that? I would think it varies by club. Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho probably have a lot of power when it comes to transfers, while Pochettino surely has some influence, but Daniel Levy certainly has the final say.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You sure about that? I would think it varies by club. Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho probably have a lot of power when it comes to transfers, while Pochettino surely has some influence, but Daniel Levy certainly has the final say.

They very well could and do, I'm just saying, there's a huge staff to go along with that, and somebody taking care of the details. And as you mentioned, they don't have the final say (technically that's the owner anyway, but I know what you're saying).

It's similar to HC and GMs in the NFL not named Bill Belichick, Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, et al.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If someone tweets him a pick of Testiculo with a quick backstory, I'd die laughing. Has to be one of the young kids though.
This is how people get restraining orders issued against them.

"You know what? I bet Hurley would love to hear all about the Senor and the backstory and everything...."
"Hold my beer..."

Reaction Score
Lots of coaches read fan boards. I know that assistants at a bunch of schools do, because I often ask them at AAU games as they play with their phones. I’d guess that almost every coach under 50 years old reads the fan boards somewhat regularly. I’d also argue that, the Boneyard provides some of the absolute best advice for the AD in terms of areas of improvement off the court. Hurley is a big picture guy. He cares what we think about the game day experience, his communication with the media etc. He’s been very clear at his other stops that engaging fans is a huge part of the job. This place has some really great ideas pop up now and then and probably offers some of the best “reviews” regarding for all things UConn including “happy hour with the coach” and First Night etc.

Some of you guys that think a head coach is too important/busy to read message boards are lost. There are a few people on this board with very big jobs (probably more than a few, I don’t know them all) that live here all day. I have better things to be doing right now, but this is an escape that is very addicting and insightful. The minute I finish a task of any importance, I check the board like clockwork. If I were in charge of the whole basketball program, I’d have to check this place out.

Also, I thought Hurley’s recent commentary on the guards and wings came about without him being asked about them individually. It seemed he brought it up and reviewed them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is how people get restraining orders issued against them.

"You know what? I bet Hurley would love to hear all about the Senor and the backstory and everything...."
"Hold my beer..."

On twitter these days? Haha you need to sit with some of the younger generation. Would open your eyes. Wide.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lots of coaches read fan boards. I know that assistants at a bunch of schools do, because I often ask them at AAU games as they play with their phones. I’d guess that almost every coach under 50 years old reads the fan boards somewhat regularly. I’d also argue that, the Boneyard provides some of the absolute best advice for the AD in terms of areas of improvement off the court. Hurley is a big picture guy. He cares what we think about the game day experience, his communication with the media etc. He’s been very clear at his other stops that engaging fans is a huge part of the job. This place has some really great ideas pop up now and then and probably offers some of the best “reviews” regarding for all things UConn including “happy hour with the coach” and First Night etc.

Some of you guys that think a head coach is too important/busy to read message boards are lost. There are a few people on this board with very big jobs (probably more than a few, I don’t know them all) that live here all day. I have better things to be doing right now, but this is an escape that is very addicting and insightful. The minute I finish a task of any importance, I check the board like clockwork. If I were in charge of the whole basketball program, I’d have to check this place out.

I'm guessing somebody on staff follows it and someone in the AD as well. That's totally reasonable. But damn near every single person's job on this forum doesn't compare to Hurley's in intensity. It's one of the most demanding jobs in America, time wise.

He spends what little free time he has meditating, purposefully relaxing/focusing, and with family. Assistants can fill him in on anything he needs to know.

I sure hope he doesn't waste his time on it. That's time better spent making the improving the program in some way.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

College recruiting is an arms race...schools are constantly upgrading their facilities.

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like any major changes...just seems like new coach new vision (aesthetically). Not surprised Sal wants to make changes to the weight room given UConn's strength and conditioning program the past few years. Also, I like Hurley taking the championship trophies out of his office and into the main entrance - almost seems like a "can't take credit for something I didn't earn" kind of mindset.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For the record, intlzncster was still shaking trees for donations in mid-walkathon. Very impressive, imo.

hahaha still lost my biggest whale though. I'm freakin Ahab. Haven't talked to him since :D Greedy investment banker.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I heard him being interviewed on Boneyard hater Joe D.'s show. JC made it a point to cut in just to thank the Yard. Of course he added he never visited.

He'd of had an aneurysm from the Taliek discussion.

Reaction Score
I think he reads it. He answers the exact questions posed here in the press days after we debate them. He was particularly detailed discussing Polley, Vitale and Alterique. He knows what we want to hear. He's way too young to ignore the Boneyard. That generation of coaches is at least 10 years older.
Honestly id normally and usually think people were idiots for even suggesting that a coach keeps up on what is said in some online forum but with as thorough as Hurley is i wouldnt be surprised in the least if he is aware of this forum or any other and takes a quick read from time to time. Soooo just in case. Hey Dan! Best of luck and im one of the delusionals so im expecting a national title this season thanks!;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're probably right, but it isn't out if the realm of possibility. Jurgen Klopp is one of the best managers in the world managing at one of the biggest soccer clibs in the world and he mentioned that he likes to watch fan YouTube channels in order to have a finger on the pulse of the more informed fan base.

...one of?

fight me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom