“Calhoun’s Recruits” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Calhoun’s Recruits”

Reaction Score
The conference sucked the life out of the program. How can you recruit kids to play at UConn in both football and basketball in basically southern conference? The answer is you don't. That's why we are no longer in the AAC.
Yet Cincinnati continued on as if nothing happened. Improved actually. Weird.

Reaction Score
Yet Cincinnati continued on as if nothing happened. Improved actually. Weird.
They were not a dominant team in the Big East. They were a middle of the pack program.

They also geographically fit the AAC better than we did.

Reaction Score
They were not a dominant team in the Big East. They were a middle of the pack program.

They also geographically fit the AAC better than we did.
Sure. Or, you know, they had a coach that didn't stop trying.

Reaction Score
AAC should be as pissed at UConn as we were at them. We were supposed to be their flagship. We all called ourselves their flagship. And then we came in and won a Natty in the first year of conference existence and WERE their flagship, and then took a steaming pile of crap over basketball and football for next 6 years. Huge difference? That's the difference. We crapped all over oursleves and Houston flourished in both sports.
We won them the only national championship the conference will ever see.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We won them the only national championship the conference will ever see.
Yup. And we hard failed them. They were counting on us. And I don’t care. Screw the AAC but their TV deal and everything else banked on UConn being UConn and after 14 we were not.

Also never count out Houston with kelvin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The conference sucked the life out of the program. How can you recruit kids to play at UConn in both football and basketball in basically southern conference? The answer is you don't. That's why we are no longer in the AAC.
The logo says it all: the reason the star is angled like it is is because we were the outlier in the Northeast and farthest away from all the others. It killed us competitively on several levels.

1200px-American_Athletic_Conference_logo.svg.png

August_West

Reaction Score
I’ve already answered that we recruited better than ever first 4 years in AAC

Reaction Score
Ollie(before he stopped doing his job) and Hurley recruited fine in the AAC. Obviously it is easier in the Big East, but the conference was not why we sucked with Ollie.
Hurley only took the job knowing they were going to the Big East

No, it didn't.
They why aren't we still in it? If it benefited the University of Connecticut why would they leave?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Health played a big part too by the way. We never got to see the AG JA two guard lineup. A lot of what if’s in the Ollie tenure. Between them, Enoch, Larrier, Durham. Lots of what if’s.

Instead we were down to playing Rakim Lubin (I think?) one year and taking on a transfer because he had a good dunk mixtape.

August_West

Reaction Score
We got those classes because Ollie was hot at the time. Once he fizzled and people realized what the AAC was it was over.
Or was it Ollie ran uconn into ground and Ollie and UConn were over and stuck in AAC? No one wants to go to Pitt either. And they are in ACC . It’s program/coach. Not conference. Conference secondary.

Reaction Score
Or was it Ollie ran uconn into ground and Ollie and UConn were over and stuck in AAC? No one wants to go to Pitt either. And they are in ACC . It’s program/coach. Not conference. Conference secondary.
I never said the downfall of UConn was 100% on the AAC. But the conference did them no favors. And if you want to bring coaching into, Hurley would not have joined UConn if they had stayed in the AAC. So the conference does matter.

Reaction Score
Hurley only took the job knowing they were going to the Big East

They why aren't we still in it? If it benefited the University of Connecticut why would they leave?
I'm not sure if I believe it, but Hurley made a comment last week that said he took the job before he knew UConn was going back to the Big East

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I believe it, but Hurley made a comment last week that said he took the job before he knew UConn was going back to the Big East
Of course that's what he's going to say but come on. The timing tells you otherwise.

Reaction Score
Right, Hurley knew for over a year that we would be going to the Big East and amazingly not a single other person found out about it. That’s definitely how life works.
You're right. UConn picked up the phone in 2019 and asked the Big East to join randomly. They said sure and it was a done deal.

No prep work was done for FB independence or anything. They just spontaneously made a move.

Reaction Score
You're right. UConn picked up the phone in 2019 and asked the Big East to join randomly. They said sure and it was a done deal.

No prep work was done for FB independence or anything. They just spontaneously made a move.
You know there was an entire year between the announcement of us going to the Big East and us officially joining right?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think it was about six months between first UCONN-BE contact and the invite IIRC.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I don't think Ollie would have won with that team if the tournament were run again. Luck is probably the biggest factor in every NCAA championship, and that year was an extreme example.

Doesn’t matter when, I agree luck is part of it for anyone so I guess you could say this every year. But I guess it’s also better to have luck than none at all because not only have we not won a championship but we haven’t won a game in the tourney the last few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom