“Big man Coach” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Big man Coach”

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's a pretty silly stat. Al Horford isn't even in the same stratosphere passing the ball that Jokic is in, Jokic is the best passing big man ever and probably the best passer in the league.

metrics have ruined sports.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Chief post mentioning Clyde Vaughan in 10...9...8...7...
Hilarious reminiscing.

Nope. Fleud knows @Chief00 is happy with this staff. Was promoting the value of our bigs preseason and got some blowback that basketball has moved away from them. Purdue and UConn might be making a strong case for a modification of the current paradigm.

August_West

Reaction Score
Hilarious reminiscing.

Nope. Fleud knows @Chief00 is happy with this staff. Was promoting the value of our bigs preseason and got some blowback that basketball has moved away from them. Purdue and UConn might be making a strong case for a modification of the current paradigm.

Well hell, lets play a front line of Sanogo and Clingan and Samson together. Lets get BIG bro.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hilarious reminiscing.

In the NBA, there's little room for traditional bigs. But they can still dominate the college game. Of course, if your center can go out and hit 3s AND have a nice back to the basket game that's even better.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a pretty silly stat. Al Horford isn't even in the same stratosphere passing the ball that Jokic is in, Jokic is the best passing big man ever and probably the best passer in the league.

It's not a silly stat at all. It doesn't tell you who the best passer is but it does tell you if someone's a good passer and takes care of the ball.

Reaction Score
It's not a silly stat at all. It doesn't tell you who the best passer is but it does tell you if someone's a good passer and takes care of the ball.
I should of said it's silly if you infer from it who is the better passer. Jokic is light-years ahead of Horford as a passer and Clingan is a much better passer than Sanogo.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I should have said it's silly if you infer from it who is the better passer. Jokic is light-years ahead of Horford as a passer and Clingan is a much better passer than Sanogo.
Not sure PJ was suggesting that but yes I totally agree. Horford is a good passer but his lower TO numbers are a function of him not being asked to do nearly as much as Jokic does.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Three separate times this week I've seen references to certain players being "light-years" better than others in one aspect of the game or another.

I realize that it's a mixed metaphor to apply a distance measurement to basketball prowess, but I invite further consider that the distance traveled by light at the speed of >186,000 feet per second, extended across an entire year, is pretty far. How far?

Screenshot_20221212-210647.png

In order to say "light-years," which is plural, you would, at bare minimum, need to double that number.

In order to make the resulting minimum number more realistic or comprehensible to a basketball fan, I'd propose dividing it by 94, because a basketball court is 94 feet in length. In this way, one could express how much better one basketball player was than another in a more familiar and more easily understood fashion. "Oh yeah, he's 33 x 10 to the 16th power basketball courts better a passer than that other guy." Much better, right?

I hope that this suggestion is helpful, particularly for those more comfortable overall than I am with a distance measurement to compare players' abilities.

Perhaps it can gain traction and become popular in some way akin to the beloved "Hilton unit" for measuring a person's height.

Reaction Score
Three separate times this week I've seen references to certain players being "light-years" better than others in one aspect of the game or another.

I realize that it's a mixed metaphor to apply a distance measurement to basketball prowess, but I invite further consider that the distance traveled by light at the speed of >186,000 feet per second, extended across an entire year, is pretty far. How far?

View attachment 81871

In order to say "light-years," which is plural, you would, at bare minimum, need to double that number.

In order to make the resulting minimum number more realistic or comprehensible to a basketball fan, I'd propose dividing it by 94, because a basketball court is 94 feet in length. In this way, one could express how much better one basketball player was than another in a more familiar and more easily understood fashion. "Oh yeah, he's 33 x 10 to the 16th power basketball courts better a passer than that other guy." Much better, right?

I hope that this suggestion is helpful, particularly for those more comfortable overall than I am with a distance measurement to compare players' abilities.

Perhaps it can gain traction and become popular in some way akin to the beloved "Hilton unit" for measuring a person's height.
Most (or at least many) people think a light year is a unit of time. Not sure what that means for the rest of your thesis, but I thought it pertinent to mention.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Most (or at least many) people think a light year is a unit of time. Not sure what that means for the rest of your thesis, but I thought it pertinent to mention.
Really, wow. In terms of time, a light-year lasts for one year. You might not be wrong about the majority. I do hope you don't count yourself among them at this point.

Do you think the 'most (or many) people' you referred to have thought that a light-year measured in time is still no different from a year? It's not something like dog years is it? I mean this as no criticism of you. I'm truly just trying to better understand what's in play.

As for my "thesis," if what you've offered is a clear assessment, then I suppose I'm equally perplexed by something else that constitutes a weird measurement. Consider, for example "Jerry was years better than Bob at free throw shooting, so much so that we added the word 'light' to make it sound more impressive."

Thanks for your input. I'd appreciate any follow up.

Reaction Score
Really, wow. In terms of time, a light-year lasts for one year. You might not be wrong about the majority. I do hope you don't count yourself among them at this point.

Do you think the 'most (or many) people' you referred to have thought that a light-year measured in time is still no different from a year? It's not something like dog years is it? I mean this as no criticism of you. I'm truly just trying to better understand what's in play.

As for my "thesis," if what you've offered is a clear assessment, then I suppose I'm equally perplexed by something else that constitutes a weird measurement. Consider, for example "Jerry was years better than Bob at free throw shooting, so much so that we added the word 'light' to make it sound more impressive."

I am a proud nerd and science/technology enthusiast, and perhaps for that reason it has always caught my attention when people mistake a light-year for a unit of time. As to exactly how long in duration a light-year is to someone who thinks it's a unit of time, I don't know, but I suspect most think it is much longer than a year. I've often heard it used in exaggeration to indicate an extremely long time. ("They had me on hold for 100 light-years!")

Regarding the basketball context, I think a unit of time actually makes much more sense than a unit of distance. In your example of Jerry and Bob, it could be understood that Jerry's skills are developed beyond Bob's to an extent that would be expected if Jerry had been at it for years longer than Bob.

Finally, a minor point of clarification/correction to the sentence in bold: I would not say that a light-year "lasts" for one year, any more than I would say a mile lasts for some period of time. (That being said, if you're wondering how long a mile "lasts" for various Boneyarders, there's a thread for that.)

Reaction Score
Regarding the basketball context, I think a unit of time actually makes much more sense than a unit of distance. In your example of Jerry and Bob, it could be understood that Jerry's skills are developed beyond Bob's to an extent that would be expected if Jerry had been at it for years longer than Bob.

This is always how I interpreted it when someone said "he's light-years ahead of xyz"

Reaction Score
Hilarious reminiscing.

Thanks for remembering that preseason prediction about the value of good bigs. When basketball teams are have power inside the other team starts collapsing and that’s what we have seen this season.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

So how long is a light foot?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that DC has earned a certificate from Sanogo prep...

Reaction Score
A couple points:

1. Clyde Vaughn is the GOAT.

2. Murray is always talking to Sanogo coming in and out of timeouts. Seems like he does quite a bit of the Big coaching.

3. Assists for a big are misleading. Other than running handoffs, DC spends almost all his time in the post. No matter where he passes the ball, it will be FAR from the hoop (a lower percentage shot). When a guard makes an entry pass to the post, it has almost double the % chance of becoming an assist. "Potential assists" would be a better measurement of how good he is as a passer. Although, i don't think that stat exists yet in college. Either way, he's just dunking everything right now, so it doesn't matter.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any of the following could be argued against:

1) "How Long" is a Chinese name.

2) 12 inches

3) Gordon or Lori?

4) 20 minutes
And from the Dept of Can't Make this Ish Up:

I turned the wrong way out of a parking lot an hour ago, and the navigation told me to turn right in a quarter-mile onto Mockingbird Valley. I instantly recognized that it was just going do the big loop equivalent of a U-turn. Two more rights later, look at the street I was on. It even got better half-way down the block.
PXL_20221214_011201395.MP~2.jpg

Reaction Score
And from the Dept of Can't Make this Ish Up:

I turned the wrong way out of a parking lot an hour ago, and the navigation told me to turn right in a quarter-mile onto Mockingbird Valley. I instantly recognized that it was just going do the big loop equivalent of a U-turn. Two more rights later, look at the street I was on. It even got better half-way down the block.
View attachment 81894
cw3xw0e5ayn41.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
In your example of Jerry and Bob, it could be understood that Jerry's skills are developed beyond Bob's to an extent that would be expected if Jerry had been at it for years longer than Bob.
He would’ve been but he sadly passed away a light year ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom