“Big man Coach” | The Boneyard

“Big man Coach”

Reaction Score
Had a thought yesterday about how amazing the centers have played without having a “traditional” big man coach. I know Kenya fit that role before he left. From what I have seen, the position has been a coach by committee, primarily by Hurley and Murray. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I know I personally was worried about big man development before and during Sanogos freshman season. Who would have thought 2 years later we would have 2 top ten centers (debatable) in the country and look like a big man destination.

#inhurleywetrust

Reaction Score
Had a thought yesterday about how amazing the centers have played without having a “traditional” big man coach. I know Kenya fit that role before he left. From what I have seen, the position has been a coach by committee, primarily by Hurley and Murray. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I know I personally was worried about big man development before and during Sanogos freshman season. Who would have thought 2 years later we would have 2 top ten centers (debatable) in the country and look like a big man destination.

#inhurleywetrust
The only issues I've ever had with Sanogo is his tendency to be a black whole to a degree that is rarely seen. Forcing shots against double and triple teams. Beyond that issue I've never had any issues with the play of our bigs under DH. In fact, early in DH's tenure I thought the thing DH deserved the most recognition for was correcting the low post D. We had decayed into an abysmal team defensively. In particular our bigs. Couldn't get a stop. Couldn't get a rebound. It was difficult to watch.

Oddly enough, my one complaint. Sanogo's tendency to be a black hole. He's looked a bit better in the past 2 games. Small sample, but I see some growth in that area. He's found shooters a couple times. And it wasn't his absolute last resort.... so looking forward to more Sanogo growth in this area.

Reaction Score
The only issues I've ever had with Sanogo is his tendency to be a black whole to a degree that is rarely seen. Forcing shots against double and triple teams. Beyond that issue I've never had any issues with the play of our bigs under DH. In fact, early in DH's tenure I thought the thing DH deserved the most recognition for was correcting the low post D. We had decayed into an abysmal team defensively. In particular our bigs. Couldn't get a stop. Couldn't get a rebound. It was difficult to watch.

Oddly enough, my one complaint. Sanogo's tendency to be a black hole. He's looked a bit better in the past 2 games. Small sample, but I see some growth in that area. He's found shooters a couple times. And it wasn't his absolute last resort.... so looking forward to more Sanogo growth in this area.
While your “black hole” criticism is far, Sanogo has shown clear signs of improvement. Here are some select stats from his freshman, sophomore, and junior seasons, respectively.

Turnover %: 20.8, 17.6, 14.6
Assist %: 7.4, 7.7, 11.3
Effective FG %: 55.4, 50.4, 64.7
Fouls drawn per 40: 3.1, 4.2, 5.3

Those numbers seem to back up what our eyes are telling us: He is turning the ball over less, he is a little bit more willing to find the open man, and when he does decide to attack the basket, he is more efficient, either converting or getting to the foul line.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I was watching some YouTube videos on their practice and it seemed Murray was playing that role, at least while they were filming.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Shout out to Mamadou.. He knew how to board before his knees broke down
It's amazing Mamadou is still with this program. I can pick out like 1-2 images in my head of him on the floor in a Husky uniform. Really wish he had better luck with health.

Seems like an awesome dude to have around the team.

pj

Reaction Score
An assist:turnover ratio of 1.0 would be excellent for center. He's approaching it at 0.77, up from 0.36 as a freshman and 0.44 as a soph.

A few other thoughts:
  • We praise Donovan's passing but his A:TO ratio is currently 0.33.
  • Among college big men, Oso Ighodaro of Marquette leads the NCAA with an A:TO ratio of 3.9.
  • Among NBA centers, leaders are Al Horford of Boston with a ratio of 3.7 and Nikola Jokic of Denver with a ratio of 2.7.

Reaction Score
A few other thoughts:
  • Among college big men, Oso Ighodaro of Marquette leads the NCAA with an A:TO ratio of 3.9.
  • Among NBA centers, leaders are Al Horford of Boston with a ratio of 3.7 and Nikola Jokic of Denver with a ratio of 2.7.
I think the thing with Clingan is that most of the time he gets the ball, we don’t want him passing in that he’s usually in a good position right under the basket to score. Not exactly a back down post player yet like Sanogo is.

Regarding Sanogo’s development, I think what’s been said is spot on in that we can all see he’s getting better but still needs work. For all the rambling Bill Walton did during the PKI, one thing that made sense was telling Sanogo to watch Hakeem Olajuwon film (I’m sure he is already).

Reaction Score
I was watching some YouTube videos on their practice and it seemed Murray was playing that role, at least while they were filming.

Yeah, it’s both. Moore’s consistently been doing his thing, and Luke is just really versatile. I also like them having two former college bigs on the extended staff. I think guys like that, as well as Lynch, are always good resources for the current players.

Reaction Score
The calculation is that Sanogo will score or get to the line when double teamed anyway. Not every possession is a success and if he passes it out that doesn’t always mean something better will happen.

Reaction Score
I think that in this special season our big man coaches are Sanogo and Clingan. Not to say others aren't providing tutelage, its just that I would imagine that Clingan helps makes Sanogo an AA candidate and Sanogo made Clingan D1 ready from the get go.

Just saying this season daily practice is our Big Man Coach.

Reaction Score
And with Sanogo, last year he really didn't have scoring threats to pass out to. Frankly, it was a better play for him to work for a shot most of the time rather than pass out. This year, if he gets doubled, the guy he's passing to will hit the shot.

Reaction Score
Everyone is a better big mans coach when the 5s come in with some game like Sanogo and Clingan. Both had work to do but that was pure coaching, didn't have to be BIG MANS coaching per se. Add some basic footwork like Adama had coming in and the fundamentals Clingan has these guys just coach them up from there. Doesn't have to be a 6'10" coach at that point.

Reaction Score
I think that in this special season our big man coaches are Sanogo and Clingan. Not to say others aren't providing tutelage, its just that I would imagine that Clingan helps makes Sanogo an AA candidate and Sanogo made Clingan D1 ready from the get go.

The reality is that Clingan came in way under the radar because he played at a public high school and didn’t go a “traditional route”. While I’m sure Sanogo has made Clingan better and vice versa, most of your point above just isn’t true. Sanogo didn’t teach Clingan how to have soft hands and catch everything that gets thrown in his direction. He didn’t teach him to dunk everything within 8 feet of the hoop. Those skills take years to craft. The true story is that Clingan probably should have been considered a top 5 recruit in this class and he was way under rated. I’m not saying our staff hasn’t helped him develop, but guys don’t just magically go from nothing to first round draft picks in 2 months of practice.

Reaction Score
The best "big man coach" is having excellent players at the position to challenge you every day in practice.

That's how Hilton Armstrong became a lottery pick. That's also why Brimah never got better over 4 years.

Clingan and Sanogo make each other better players.

Reaction Score

Ah, s___, you already said the same thing I did lol

Reaction Score
A few other thoughts:
I think this is slightly skewed since DC thrives on lobs and put backs….he’s not yet catching the ball at the FT line and fronting the offensive sets, as a Jokic or Horford does.

DC has 3 assists to 9 turnovers this year.

He also has 23 blocks and 8 steals.

So his TOF v. TO ratio is actually 3.4

Give me that allll day long.
69C7CD79-7BFB-4517-A79B-39BEAFB79BD4.jpeg

Reaction Score
A few other thoughts:
It's a pretty silly stat. Al Horford isn't even in the same stratosphere passing the ball that Jokic is in, Jokic is the best passing big man ever and probably the best passer in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom