“Big man Coach” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Big man Coach”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am a proud nerd and science/technology enthusiast, and perhaps for that reason it has always caught my attention when people mistake a light-year for a unit of time. As to exactly how long in duration a light-year is to someone who thinks it's a unit of time, I don't know, but I suspect most think it is much longer than a year. I've often heard it used in exaggeration to indicate an extremely long time. ("They had me on hold for 100 light-years!")

Regarding the basketball context, I think a unit of time actually makes much more sense than a unit of distance. In your example of Jerry and Bob, it could be understood that Jerry's skills are developed beyond Bob's to an extent that would be expected if Jerry had been at it for years longer than Bob.

Finally, a minor point of clarification/correction to the sentence in bold: I would not say that a light-year "lasts" for one year, any more than I would say a mile lasts for some period of time. (That being said, if you're wondering how long a mile "lasts" for various Boneyarders, there's a thread for that.)
What’s light year in Clingan? Cause he’s light years ahead of almost all freshmen bigs.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
So how long is a light foot?
A nanosecond (1/100,000,000 of a second)

1670997787328.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love the BY.
I love that "light-year" uses a measurement of time to convey a measurement of space (in terms of distance), whereas "light foot" uses a measurement of space (again, linear distance) to convey a measurment of time.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I love that "light-year" uses a measurement of time to convey a measurement of space (in terms of distance), whereas "light foot" uses a measurement of space (again, linear distance) to convey a measurment of time.
relatively speaking...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom