“A ton” of buzz about college football moving to spring- impact to CBB season start? | The Boneyard

“A ton” of buzz about college football moving to spring- impact to CBB season start?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

So Mark is a radio host in Norman, OK who seemingly has something pretty concrete here to put this out like this. I’m thinking more and more if college football is pushed to spring, that college basketball will also have to delay the start of their season until the spring semester begins at schools. There’s all sorts of eligibility issues that arise with moving to the spring. Then you mention the impact of moving things like the NCAA Tournament back, and trying to re-schedule pre-season workouts, and you see why a decision has to be made sooner rather than later.

This is completely my opinion, but if college football does in fact move to spring semester with say a mid-February start time, I think college basketball will start in mid-to-late February or early March and go from there.

Reaction Score
How would that work with the NFL? Preseason starts in August. Guys that get drafted cannot go from a full season of CFB with less than a month of recovery, to a full season of NFL

Reaction Score
How would that work with the NFL? Preseason starts in August. Guys that get drafted cannot go from a full season of CFB with less than a month of recovery, to a full season of NFL
Sports are going to be chaotic over the next 2 years as this all gets sorted out. Also NFL doesn’t dictate college sports. Decisions are going to be made based on what’s the safest way to proceed and have fans

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Just my opinion but as big as college football is and the money that $urrounds it; this sounds like the tail wagging the dog. In other words, it is just UNTHINKABLE that college football cannot be cancelled or more likely play in front of empty stadiums on TV only. Well, if the Covid 19 virus does come back to any degree next fall all bets are off. Life happens and suffering to some degree is inevitable; misery is optional. I think this is becoming a potential matter of grief.

Grief happens when we suffer or expect to suffer a loss and it need not be someone dying. It could be losing
anything or anyone. Examples. Losing a job, a loved one leaving, falling into addiction, financial loss, loss of health, mobility and on and on.

I was doing volunteer work in a TBI hospital and the psychologist told me about how these people were suffering from grief of knowing they were going to be institutionalized for the rest of their life. She recommended that I read about Elisabeth Kubler-Ross work on the five stages of grief.

It was incredibly helpful to me in my life and understanding others. When my wife's mother died she had bouts of anger that went on for a few years. Instead of taking it personally or "trying to fix it" I was advised that it was her grieving and I could help by just being there for her and accepting that she was grieving. It wasn't me.............she was transferring her anger over losing her mom and I just happened to be at the end of it that way.

The denial or rationalization that college football could/could not be cancelled would be sad but it may happen and the sooner the idea of that begins to be accepted as a possibility the sooner one will be able to cope with it. In the big scheme of things....................how important is it? Life will go on. Think back to the baseball strike. It was unthinkable. Lot of folks turned off to baseball forever over that. That's sad. Grief is sadness. This model helped me understand why I sometimes feel about things or why others maybe are acting the way they are. Very freeing. I don't have to be a prisoner to what might have been/should have been.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would think overlapping CFB games would push a ton of CBB games to streaming. It would be a good time for aspiring play-by-play guys as well. Start practicing now, youngsters.

Reaction Score
I would think overlapping CFB games would push a ton of CBB games to streaming. It would be a good time for aspiring play-by-play guys as well. Start practicing now, youngsters.
I think that is right. Given that football ratings are so much higher than basketball ratings, there will be a huge squeeze for TV time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Taking this to the next level, how would more streaming affect UConn now that they are Fox? I don't bother with Fox streaming for anything so I don't know. What's kind of funny is that since cutting the cord, games shown on over-the-air TV are going to cost me the most money.

Reaction Score
Decisions will also be made based upon $$$$
also???? Don't you mean ONLY?

The loss of FB for the non P5 saves them money! For the P5 it's the lifeblood of the entire athletic dept....there is ZERO chance they don't have some type of season IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder how this shutdown will impact the buyout to the AAC for Uconn? Was that already funded?

Reaction Score
A lot of southern governors are making plans to reopen businesses in their states immediately.

If they do that (which appears extremely risky for states like Georgia which has a relatively high virus rate) they’ll know by June if having football in the fall is reasonable.

Reaction Score
Taking this to the next level, how would more streaming affect UConn now that they are Fox? I don't bother with Fox streaming for anything so I don't know. What's kind of funny is that since cutting the cord, games shown on over-the-air TV are going to cost me the most money.
OTA is free. Where is the cost?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Just play football Friday + Saturday. Play Hoops Sunday to Thursday.

If moving fall and winter sports to the spring is the only way they will be able to get in a season, they definitely should. And this type of scheduling will make for an awesome few months of sports, especially since if this is the way it happens it means we likely went 10 months without US sports.

Reaction Score
If the season gets delayed until spring expect a few dozen of the top prospects to sit out and just prepare for pro workouts. Why risk playing college ball and then having to go to a pro camp with just a month or so of recuperation time? Imagine if the NFL held its draft in April with teams still playing. Draft choices (and even undrafted free agents) might just stop playing mid-year to protect their pro opportunity. Would they bother with bowls or just have the playoffs?

Reaction Score
If the season gets delayed until spring expect a few dozen of the top prospects to sit out and just prepare for pro workouts. Why risk playing college ball and then having to go to a pro camp with just a month or so of recuperation time? Imagine if the NFL held its draft in April with teams still playing. Draft choices (and even undrafted free agents) might just stop playing mid-year to protect their pro opportunity. Would they bother with bowls or just have the playoffs?

In this scenario, the draft would obviously have to move back. Most likely to June.

Reaction Score
I don't think things are going to be as drastic as you think unless the USA is much more of mess than Europe because a lot of countries in Europe are talking about starting to SLOWLY open up in late April/early May and easing back into things as the months move on. I think there is a chance the fball and bball seasons start as normal unless there are too many people not doing what they should be doing now back in the states.

Reaction Score
I don't think things are going to be as drastic as you think unless the USA is much more of mess than Europe because a lot of countries in Europe are talking about starting to SLOWLY open up in late April/early May and easing back into things as the months move on. I think there is a chance the fball and bball seasons start as normal unless there are too many people not doing what they should be doing now back in the states.
College sports are the most vulnerable because we are talking about amateur athletes who live around 20k or more students. You’re right about Europe. Professional soccer leagues are preparing to restart in May/June behind closed doors. I imagine pro sports in America won’t be far behind. But again, college kids are different. If the campus is closed the sports will likely be as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder how this shutdown will impact the buyout to the AAC for Uconn? Was that already funded?
Great question. I believe some our cost is forgone revenue, so does CV19 effectively lower our exit cost? Not that it matters to us one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Great question. I believe some our cost is forgone revenue, so does CV19 effectively lower our exit cost? Not that it matters to us one way or the other.

I didn't understand that to be the case, but i'm not really clear on the details either. My guess is there will be something come out on this. Lot of money for any school in this climate. Unfortunately if you commit to something you sometimes lose your bargaining power without concessions.

Reaction Score
In this scenario, the draft would obviously have to move back. Most likely to June.
The NFL doesn't have to do anything if it doesn't want to do so. June is awfully late for the draft since training camps start in July and the second wave of free agency starts on June 1. If they move the draft back it's unlikely they'd move it back past mid-May

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom