“ outcoached” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“ outcoached”

Reaction Score
absolutely needed an adjustment to the zone d and it was a little scary to see how ugly things looked against a half court press, but.....

the team was simply missing open shots all night. between that and the horrendous officiating, it's hard to lay this all on coaching, especially considering how the whole season has gone up to this point. the team looked flat the past couple of games, but has looked electric the rest of the season.

we're in a funk, no doubt. good coaches get out of funks. I still trust the guy who got us to #2 in the country to get us out of a funk.

Reaction Score
I hate that term. It rarely applies. I usually think things are player performance based not nosepickers on the bench.

BUT.

Cooley threw a 3-2 zone at us tonight in stretches and in each occasion our players looked like a monkey trying to ButtEFF a football tonight.

That would be coaching.
Couldn't disagree more. We were very effective against their zone. There was a reason they gave up on it

Reaction Score
Hurley has a tremendous coaching staff that is well prepared. Bad refs, bad shooting, we got outplayed. It happens.
‘Plus, the BE predictions of our league were wrong.

Reaction Score
DH has thus far proven to be an adept recruiter. Period. Cooley must also be a great recruiter because the kids he picked up played harder, smarter and better than the guards UConn plucked from the transfer pools.
Hurley has been outfoxed by a majority of coaches he has faced in the NBE and in the NCAAs. Mediocre McDermott has coached circles around DH
People here talk about how bad Pat Ewing is as a coach but he had DH on the ropes in the 1st meeting and it took an unearthly game from JoeyC to pull that one out.
UConn has the talent but talent only takes you so far - it's rather odd when you watch a game and try to figure out when your teams' HC and captain are going to get T'd up.
HCJC was hard on the refs but he knew when to draw the line on name calling and excessive baiting while still analyzing the game on the floor and make adjustments
I don't want DH to go away but I would love to see him check his ego at the front door, eat some humble pie and get a mentor to help him with his in-game decision making. Everyone can use a mentor.
This loss is not the end of the earth by any means but if it didn't open some eyes it will be a long and cold NBE season.
I agree. And let's not forget that we were 5.5 point favorites in the game. Hurley never seems to win the tight competitive games. The only game I can recall that we won, was when Hurley was thrown out and one of his assistants took over. I don't want to see DH leave either but hopefully he recognizes that he needs to get better.

Reaction Score
Hurley has a tremendous coaching staff that is well prepared. Bad refs, bad shooting, we got outplayed. It happens.
‘Plus, the BE predictions of our league were wrong.

Prepared coaching staff's don't fail to adjust. That's part of the preparation.

Reaction Score
Better shooters, yes. I didn't see them as stronger or faster. I saw them execute within a game plan. UConn was in the bonus with 14 minutes left in the game and they used that like a boa constrictor to squeeze the life out of any run we had.
Bryce Hopkins was much stronger than any of our guards or wings. That's not even debatable.

Reaction Score
Let's see how his record after this year and next season are done. Because for the first 3 seasons (and, some could argue, even last year), we were trotting out the equivalent of JV talent vs. Varsity talent against those teams.

If we are still horrible vs. the cream of the crop BE teams when everything's done at the end of 23-24, then I'll admit we have a coaching problem.
I think that’s fair.

I’m a big fan of what Hurley’s building here, so by no means am I suggesting he’s a bad coach because he loses to good programs. But it seems like he can be stubborn at times, and good coaches are using some of those tendencies against him.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I have a few thoughts:
  • DH brought the program back via recruiting and personal charisma (and a move to the Big East).
  • DH is still a developing head coach. It is not fair to compare him with the great ones at this point in his career.
  • I am happy to give him 2 or 3 more seasons to continue to learn about in-game coaching.

Reaction Score
I have a few thoughts:
  • DH brought the program back via recruiting and personal charisma (and a move to the Big East).
  • DH is still a developing head coach. It is not fair to compare him with the great ones at this point in his career.
  • I am happy to give him 2 or 3 more seasons to continue to learn about in-game coaching.
He’s been in coaching for 25 or so years, and played all his life. The sets we run are too predictable, and they don’t vary much. Option A is post up Adama, option B is run Hawk off 3 screens til he’s open to chuck one up.

There needs to be more wrinkles. He needs to be able to draw something up to get our guards going downhill. There just isn’t enough fluidity in the offense. The last two games have highlighted it, X and Providence just run better offenses.

Reaction Score
I mean Pete Maravich averaged 24 points per game over his NBA career. It’s not like the dude only had fancy passes.
And 44 points a game one year in college. Yes, when he passed they were often spectacular, but there were a heck of a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
Croswell stole Adama's lunch money. Outplayed him at both ends. And Hopkins amd Carter couldn't be guarded. Take of the blue hued glasses.

I was under the hoop in the third row. Maybe I just had a better perspective than you. It’s fine. Calm down.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
What happened to all the motion the last two games? The first dozen games or so the guys would cut and slash, use multiple screens a possession, etc - but these last two? A lot of standing around on the perimeter.

I had some flashbacks to last year :(

Reaction Score
absolutely needed an adjustment to the zone d and it was a little scary to see how ugly things looked against a half court press, but.....

the team was simply missing open shots all night. between that and the horrendous officiating, it's hard to lay this all on coaching, especially considering how the whole season has gone up to this point. the team looked flat the past couple of games, but has looked electric the rest of the season.

we're in a funk, no doubt. good coaches get out of funks. I still trust the guy who got us to #2 in the country to get us out of a funk.
It was an ugly game, but you are right. 5 of 22 from 3 point, and 10 of 19 from free throw line. You make a few more of each and its a different game and opens things up a bit.

Reaction Score
Hurley has done an excellent job of rebuilding this program and deserves praise and gratitude for that. He has proven himself to be less than adept and taking his team that last mile to win games against the better BE caliber teams. His preparation is one thing, but his in game coaching is further compromised by his lack of discipline and self-control on the sidelines. His head is clearly not in the game as each contest progresses and he becomes increasingly absorbed with his sideline tirades against the refs.

Reaction Score
Maybe I was dreaming, but I though I read somewhere on Twitter last night that it was the first time Cooley ever used a 3-2 zone. Wow, a coach making adjustments and throwing something new at an opponent...who knew?
It wasn't

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hurley gets tunnel-vision in a big, bad way at times.

Doesn’t see the bench, doesn’t see the opponent, doesn’t see the clock. He’ll tell you after the game what they did wrong or what they should have changed, but try to find the time out during the game where that change might have been done in game.

Reaction Score
It was an ugly game, but you are right. 5 of 22 from 3 point, and 10 of 19 from free throw line. You make a few more of each and its a different game and opens things up a bit.

When teams don't shoot well, a lot of other things look worse than they are. When teams shoot well, a lot of things look better than they are.

We lost the last two games because we've shot horrifically from outside and because of the foul disparity (which was largely deserved against Xavier but not last night). Yes, other things have contributed, but given that both games were close to even at the last TV time out, winning (against good teams on the road) is going to come down to fixing at least one of these two things.

Reaction Score
DH has thus far proven to be an adept recruiter. Period. Cooley must also be a great recruiter because the kids he picked up played harder, smarter and better than the guards UConn plucked from the transfer pools.
Hurley has been outfoxed by a majority of coaches he has faced in the NBE and in the NCAAs. Mediocre McDermott has coached circles around DH
People here talk about how bad Pat Ewing is as a coach but he had DH on the ropes in the 1st meeting and it took an unearthly game from JoeyC to pull that one out.
UConn has the talent but talent only takes you so far - it's rather odd when you watch a game and try to figure out when your teams' HC and captain are going to get T'd up.
HCJC was hard on the refs but he knew when to draw the line on name calling and excessive baiting while still analyzing the game on the floor and make adjustmentsWe
I don't want DH to go away but I would love to see him check his ego at the front door, eat some humble pie and get a mentor to help him with his in-game decision making. Everyone can use a mentor.
This loss is not the end of the earth by any means but if it didn't open some eyes it will be a long and cold NBE season.
No - I agree it's not the end of the earth...

But, we're in year 5 with him and should be showing us more. No one can doubt his recruiting prowess, but then you have to be a coach.
Cooley definitely has his number. At the beginning of the week, Cooley leaks that UConn is the best team in the country and we fell for it. DH hasn't crossed that coaching bridge yet and it's starting to get late. It's hard to mention him in the same breath as HCJC for a whole host of reasons.

We retreated from football to focus tremendous resources on MBB. When is it going to pay off? So far, DH has two Round of 64 appearances and two losses to lower seeds. It's a fair question - to those that much has been given, much is expected in return... Is it too soon to ask? I don't think so.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
No - I agree it's not the end of the earth...

But, we're in year 5 with him and should be showing us more. No one can doubt his recruiting prowess, but then you have to be a coach.
Cooley definitely has his number. At the beginning of the week, Cooley leaks that UConn is the best team in the country and we fell for it. DH hasn't crossed that coaching bridge yet and it's starting to get late. It's hard to mention him in the same breath as HCJC for a whole host of reasons.

We retreated from football to focus tremendous resources on MBB. When is it going to pay off? So far, DH has two Round of 64 appearances and two losses to lower seeds. It's a fair question - to those that much has been given, much is expected in return... Is it too soon to ask? I don't think so.

14-2, ranked 4th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom