“ outcoached” | The Boneyard

“ outcoached”

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I hate that term. It rarely applies. I usually think things are player performance based not nosepickers on the bench.

BUT.

Cooley threw a 3-2 zone at us tonight in stretches and in each occasion our players looked like a monkey trying to ButtEFF a football tonight.

That would be coaching.

Reaction Score
I hate that term. It rarely applies. I usually think things are player performance based not nosepickers on the bench.

BUT.

Cooley threw a 3-2 zone at us tonight in stretches and in each occasion our players looked like a monkey trying to ButtEFF a football tonight.

That would be coaching.
Cooley is 10-2 against Hurley, unfortunately it's not a fluke.

Reaction Score

BUT.

That would be coaching.
We looked fine against the zone in the 1st half from what I remember. We killed it with offensive rebounds, which is one of the main ways to beat a zone. But I think we had pretty much all good shots, too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again, listening in on the PC huddle during TO's, Cooley wanted to make sure Hawkins was covered and force everyone else to make J's. Karaban was the only player to make a 3 besides Hawk. Newton, Calcaterra, Alleyne all shot bagels. Jackson missed 'em all and Diarra is now officially thinking before shooting. Diarra's hesistancy may be a positive or a negative. Your call on that.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s bag of tricks is just not deep. We’ve seen very few variants of offensive scheme. Conducting tough practices in November only goes so far in the Big East. The top tier teams in the league are all in shape at this point which minimizes the impact of our depth.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They seem like an easy scout to some of these teams and we always seem to lack that plan B or C when teams seemingly have us figured out from the jump. 4 games in a row now trending in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
AJ drove to the rim and did a demoralizing dunk. I said to myself the light bulb has gone off, and then sadly it was an anomaly. That was his only field goal.

Hurley really needs to get AJ in an offensive mindset, if not then teams will know we only play 4 players on offense. He needs his game to be more Giannis or even Lebron and less Maravich. Teams are slacking off of him on the perimeter putting 5 defenders on 3/4 people (depending on Newton's offense).

That's one adjustment I'd like to see, which would certainly upset any opponent's game plan. The rim is AJ's if he wants it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not only that, he’s 0-5 against McDermott and he was 1-4 against Jay Wright before he retired.

Every coach’s record will be worse against good teams/programs, but these numbers raise some alarm bells.
Might as well collect it all in one place: 0-1 against Miller.

Reaction Score
Not only that, he’s 0-5 against McDermott and he was 1-4 against Jay Wright before he retired.

Every coach’s record will be worse against good teams/programs, but these numbers raise some alarm bells.
no shame in being 1-4 against one of the greatest cbb hc's past 10 years, 0-5 vs Mcdermott who is a mediocre head coach is a problem tho.

Reaction Score
It's not a bad term and it absolutely applies. He got taken to school last night. We are the far more talented team on both sides of the ball and got out foxed the entire game.
What do you base “far more talented” on? They were stronger, faster, and better shooters.

Reaction Score
AJ drove to the rim and did a demoralizing dunk. I said to myself the light bulb has gone off, and then sadly it was an anomaly. That was his only field goal.

Hurley really needs to get AJ in an offensive mindset, if not then teams will know we only play 4 players on offense. He needs his game to be more Giannis or even Lebron and less Maravich. Teams are slacking off of him on the perimeter putting 5 defenders on 3/4 people (depending on Newton's offense).

That's one adjustment I'd like to see, which would certainly upset any opponent's game plan. The rim is AJ's if he wants it.
I mean Pete Maravich averaged 24 points per game over his NBA career. It’s not like the dude only had fancy passes.

Reaction Score
What do you base “far more talented” on? They were stronger, faster, and better shooters.
Better shooters, yes. I didn't see them as stronger or faster. I saw them execute within a game plan. UConn was in the bonus with 14 minutes left in the game and they used that like a boa constrictor to squeeze the life out of any run we had.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
no shame in being 1-4 against one of the greatest cbb hc's past 10 years, 0-5 vs Mcdermott who is a mediocre head coach is a problem tho.

DH has thus far proven to be an adept recruiter. Period. Cooley must also be a great recruiter because the kids he picked up played harder, smarter and better than the guards UConn plucked from the transfer pools.
Hurley has been outfoxed by a majority of coaches he has faced in the NBE and in the NCAAs. Mediocre McDermott has coached circles around DH
People here talk about how bad Pat Ewing is as a coach but he had DH on the ropes in the 1st meeting and it took an unearthly game from JoeyC to pull that one out.
UConn has the talent but talent only takes you so far - it's rather odd when you watch a game and try to figure out when your teams' HC and captain are going to get T'd up.
HCJC was hard on the refs but he knew when to draw the line on name calling and excessive baiting while still analyzing the game on the floor and make adjustments
I don't want DH to go away but I would love to see him check his ego at the front door, eat some humble pie and get a mentor to help him with his in-game decision making. Everyone can use a mentor.
This loss is not the end of the earth by any means but if it didn't open some eyes it will be a long and cold NBE season.

Reaction Score

BUT.

That would be coaching.
Maybe I was dreaming, but I though I read somewhere on Twitter last night that it was the first time Cooley ever used a 3-2 zone. Wow, a coach making adjustments and throwing something new at an opponent...who knew?

Reaction Score
Hurley’s bag of tricks is just not deep. We’ve seen very few variants of offensive scheme. Conducting tough practices in November only goes so far in the Big East. The top tier teams in the league are all in shape at this point which minimizes the impact of our depth.

But wait...I thought the 'yard had determined that our offensive prowess during our 14-0 start wasn't Hurley (who we all know sucks as an offensive coach), but actually was Luke Murray's brilliance...

Does this now mean that Luke Murray sucks too? I'm having trouble keeping up.

Reaction Score

Let's see how his record after this year and next season are done. Because for the first 3 seasons (and, some could argue, even last year), we were trotting out the equivalent of JV talent vs. Varsity talent against those teams.

If we are still horrible vs. the cream of the crop BE teams when everything's done at the end of 23-24, then I'll admit we have a coaching problem.

Reaction Score
I mean Pete Maravich averaged 24 points per game over his NBA career. It’s not like the dude only had fancy passes.
or only had a jump shot. Pete was never pass first though, at least in college.

Reaction Score
Better shooters, yes. I didn't see them as stronger or faster. I saw them execute within a game plan. UConn was in the bonus with 14 minutes left in the game and they used that like a boa constrictor to squeeze the life out of any run we had.
Croswell stole Adama's lunch money. Outplayed him at both ends. And Hopkins amd Carter couldn't be guarded. Take of the blue hued glasses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom