“ outcoached” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“ outcoached”

Reaction Score

Each assistant is the primary scout for opponents but they also work together. That's true of pretty much every D1 team in America.

Kimani (AHC) does meet and talk with Hurley during games. No ide what is being said, but he's in his ear a lot.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day we missed a TON of open shots that we were consistently making earlier in the year. The benefit of the 4 out Villanova style offense is that when 3’s are falling it’s pretty easy to put teams away quickly which we were doing even against top tier teams. When those 3’s stop falling then things look uglier than they really are. We had a lot of great looks last night that were half way down and rimmed out. PC was chucking up prayers at the end of broken plays and everything was going in. One of the biggest things if you go back and re-watch that game is PC was extremely physical with Hawkins and Calcaterra. Hawkins was literally getting hip checked and grabbed on EVERY possession and it’s amazing he even got off as many shots as he did. We missed a lot of shots, but when one team is allowed to play bully ball and the other team gets called for every touch foul it just creates a situation where every shot that doesn’t fall makes you feel so much pressure to make the next one and it’s a snowball effect. We actually jumped on PC early, but after Jackson picked up his 2nd touch foul we lost all momentum. If he hadn’t come out there’s a good chance that 9-2 lead gets pushed to 15, then who knows if the outcome would have been the same or not.

Reaction Score
Since you're never wrong, maybe you just needed the replays I saw.

It’s fine if we don’t agree. You’re the one with a stick up his rear on it. Like you are in every thread on every topic.

Reaction Score
They’re involved.
They walk up to Hurley, try to calm him down, and tell him to shut the bleep up. I'm sure they try to give input, but he's not processing any of it because he's too caught up with the refs and his own emotions.

Always like to re-watch after seeing live as I like the perspective....and a glutton for punishment in this case. As Dauster noted on Field of 68, anyone that honestly thinks the refs determined the outcome of this game is smoking dope. Seemed like anytime I saw a call that didn't go our way, another call washed it. There was a play in transition where Croswell made a nice read on a pass into the post to Sanogo, but no question Croswell fouls him and Locke drains a transition 3. The two go at it again a bit later and Sanogo literally forearms Croswell in the throat being fronted by Croswell and gets the call. No travel call on Croswell, no travel call on Joey C...and so on and so on. Enough of the whining on here about the refs - make no mistake - we got our butts kicked. If PC got an edge on calls it was very slight on a couple slips / tangled feet. On to Creighton - hope we put on our big boy pants.

Reaction Score
They walk up to Hurley, try to calm him down, and tell him to shut the bleep up. I'm sure they try to give input, but he's not processing any of it because he's too caught up with the refs and his own emotions.

Always like to re-watch after seeing live as I like the perspective....and a glutton for punishment in this case. As Dauster noted on Field of 68, anyone that honestly thinks the refs determined the outcome of this game is smoking dope. Seemed like anytime I saw a call that didn't go our way, another call washed it. There was a play in transition where Croswell made a nice read on a pass into the post to Sanogo, but no question Croswell fouls him and Locke drains a transition 3. The two go at it again a bit later and Sanogo literally forearms Croswell in the throat being fronted by Croswell and gets the call. No travel call on Croswell, no travel call on Joey C...and so on and so on. Enough of the whining on here about the refs - make no mistake - we got our butts kicked. If PC got an edge on calls it was very slight on a couple slips / tangled feet. On to Creighton - hope we put on our big boy pants.
That Locke play was enormous in terms of momentum. Bad calls against us seemed to all either stop our momentum or lead to a PC big play.

Reaction Score
That Locke play was enormous in terms of momentum. Bad calls against us seemed to all either stop our momentum or lead to a PC big play.
Yes, in the heat of the moment the refs know that their bad call is going to result in a big play for the other team. :confused: We couldn't hit a freakin shot when we were wide open like that either. Can't expect to win on the road shooting like that. That play where the ball bounced all over the place and we had 3 cracks at it?

Reaction Score
Yes, in the heat of the moment the refs know that their bad call is going to result in a big play for the other team. :confused: We couldn't hit a freakin shot when we were wide open like that either. Can't expect to win on the road shooting like that. That play where the ball bounced all over the place and we had 3 cracks at it?
I’m not saying it was intentional. I’m saying their missed calls against us hurt us more. They let PC get away with stuff they weren’t letting us get away with. Especially on the road. It’s rough sledding

Reaction Score
It’s fine if we don’t agree. You’re the one with a stick up his rear on it. Like you are in every thread on every topic.
For once you're ok with us not agreeing... that's all I need.

Reaction Score
Let's see how his record after this year and next season are done. Because for the first 3 seasons (and, some could argue, even last year), we were trotting out the equivalent of JV talent vs. Varsity talent against those teams.

If we are still horrible vs. the cream of the crop BE teams when everything's done at the end of 23-24, then I'll admit we have a coaching problem.
We won't have to wait that long, because if THIS season implodes he will lose the recruiting class and suffer another wave of transfers.

At that point you have to part ways, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Personally, and this is just me, I think Hurley is a blowhard and a clown, at best a mid-major head coach at a smaller university like URI, maybe St. Bonaventure, St. Joe's, etc. That's his ceiling and I have see nothing to indicate that he's capable of competing intellectually with his high major peers. He seems to think his job is to roll the ball out and if the team wins, great. If not, well, it's on the players because they weren't 'tough', 'disciplined', 'committed' or some combination of cliches that ultimately point right back to the person speaking.

If find it interesting that Cooley's response to 'I need a guard' was to pull a transfer from Kentucky and Hurley's response to 'I need a guard' is to pull....an up-transfer from East freaking Carolina. I mean, what did we expect would happen when we matched them up?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Think about it…Hurley the 4th best coach in the Big East?
Tough to say: Matta, Miller, Anderson, McDermott, and Cooley are all older, have more years of experience, higher winning percentages and more wins and Sweet 16 appearances than Hurley. Smart also has a greater list of accomplishments, but is a few years younger.

Were you regarding "4th best" negatively or positively?

Reaction Score
Tough to say: Matta, Miller, Anderson, McDermott, and Cooley are all older, have more years of experience, higher winning percentages and more wins and Sweet 16 appearances than Hurley. Smart also has a greater list of accomplishments, but is a few years younger.

Were you regarding "4th best" negatively or positively?
Negatively…he seems to be overmatched against Cooley, Miller McDermott?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom