‘If we stay healthy, I expect to be back here next year’ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

‘If we stay healthy, I expect to be back here next year’

Reaction Score
Take Boston out of the SC lineup when she graduates and the landscape levels out. Sorry, but not sold on this narrative that SC is the new power in WBB. Much like we had Stewie/Maya/Diana (and you don't), she has a transformational standout player in Boston that has "stands above the rest" skills. For now. But when Boston is gone, Dawn is just another very good coach competing with a handful of other very good coaches.

The same superlatives were said about Kim when she had Griner. Now Kim and Dawn are indeed terrific coaches, but without Griner/Boston, they are on level battlefield with Geno. And I'll take Geno everyday in that world.

To me, this whole SC narrative is nothing more than "we'll see."

PS: Pray for Brittney.
Not only is this true but imo anyway, if Geno had had both wilson and Boston for 7 years, he would almost certainly have gotten more than two titles out of those seven years! Kudos to Dawn, she has certainly built a great program over there and deserves to be praised for it! However, she still has a long way to go before she reaches Geno’s level! Anyone truly believe Geno would have only won 1 title each with those two players? For that matter, Griner won one title with Kim. I have a hard time believing she wouldn’t have won at least one or two more with Geno. I’m confident people are going to find out that the old dog can still bite over the next few years!

Reaction Score
Take Aliyah Boston out of a Gamecock's uniform and put in a Huskies uniform and no one would be talking about any era's ending.
just take her out of her SC uniform and the field is pretty even. That will happen after next year. Then we will see who slowly walks to the exit. I have a funny feeling that Cardoso leaves also, as she will be eligible for the draft next April. Staley can't possibly replace them both. Buh bye Dawn!

Reaction Score
Also, I don't think Aliyah Boston's college choice had anything at all to do with offensive systems. It was a much deeper, personal connection between her and Dawn, transcending basketball.

Besides A'ja Wilson, who has South Carolina graduated that has made a big impact in the WNBA?
Dawn offers a culture in SC that is quite appealing to many young, athletic Black women. It really is that simple, and works out well for her players. UConn is pretty much Cow country. You really have to want to play for Geno to commit to that landscape...literally.

A'ja Wilson hasn't really made a big impact in the WNBA. She was POY, but let's face it...no one was really there in the bubble that year.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem the program faces right now is that the offensive scheme that Geno continues to deploy no longer works.

Whatever you want to call it... motion, Princeton, chin, finesse.... the women's college game has evolved a lot in the past half-dozen years, including stronger, more athletic and better conditioned players. And the elite teams have also learned to defend this offence. Heck, they had to to have any chance of beat UConn after the four-championship run.

The basic problem with the offence it is forgoes the low hanging fruit more easily attained by teams that aggressively attack the rim (Notre Dame in 2018 & 2019) or play a proper inside out game with their dominant big down low (South Carolina in 2022). And it exchanges that for a much more complex, difficult-to-execute style of play based of perimeter passing and read-and-react.

It's beautiful to watch against inferior teams. But in today's game it only works now when you have a clear talent advantage pretty much up and down the roster. In this era of parity, Geno no longer has that, and I don't think it's likely he'll have it again.
So beating two top teams in NC St and Stanford, along with evryone but SC with his offense doesnt count?

Reaction Score
I love watching the Stanford and UConn style of play
The “ beautiful game “ in soccer
I’m simply not savvy enough to critique your comments but appreciate hearing your informative point of view
Only problem with the argument is that UConn shot a better percentage from 3pt range and overall FG %. If you rebound all your misses then it hides your weaknesses. Also if you get all the calls it helps. Not saying they didnt deserve win but it was not their offense, its their rebounding and defense. Same for us many of the NCAA games, just ran into a team that did it better. If we played them full strengthI would give us a good chance to win.

Reaction Score
let's see if Dawn can keep her team at number one after Boston is gone.......not going to be easy.....
It will be easier to replicate now that they have proven their program’s success. Success breeds success.

Reaction Score
Only problem with the argument is that UConn shot a better percentage from 3pt range and overall FG %. If you rebound all your misses then it hides your weaknesses. Also if you get all the calls it helps. Not saying they didnt deserve win but it was not their offense, its their rebounding and defense. Same for us many of the NCAA games, just ran into a team that did it better. If we played them full strengthI would give us a good chance to win.
Their offense is predicated on maximizing offensive rebounding. As is their recruitment. Speed, size, athleticism are all at a premium.

Reaction Score
It will be easier to replicate now that they have proven their program’s success. Success breeds success.
For me it depends on how one defines success. Having winning seasons every year and being ranked? Or going to the final four for multiple consecutive years? Holding incredible streaks? All of these alone are “success”, and I’m sure SC will at least continue to have winning seasons and do well in the tourney. And I’m sure SC fans would be happy with this for a while.

But will they be breaking UConn’s (or TN’s) records any time soon? Doubtful. If that’s “success” then SC has a long way to go.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the chuckle. :p
To a degree he may be right. Culturally, can we get the best prospects compared to Stanford and programs like SC when the game is trending toward bigger, faster athletes who can defend and rebound well when our stock in trade are skilled shooters from prep schools? Culturally is that extremely athletic player a good fit when their background is maybe not as clean cut? The most athletic players we recruit often end up somewhere else recently or on the bench. We don’t recruit the Janiah Barkers of the world but she may end up the player that is key to winning a NC. I think we will certainly be in the conversation but you could make a case that the next generation of coach who could relate more culturally might even be a an appropriate move. Cue the outrage here but players need to want to come to UConn and the pressure and expectation level is ridiculous. Great players don’t want to be perceived as failures if they come in 2nd.

Reaction Score
For me it depends on how one defines success. Having winning seasons every year and being ranked? Or going to the final four for multiple consecutive years? Holding incredible streaks? All of these alone are “success”, and I’m sure SC will at least continue to have winning seasons and do well in the tourney. And I’m sure SC fans would be happy with this for a while.

But will they be breaking UConn’s (or TN’s) records any time soon? Doubtful. If that’s “success” then SC has a long way to go.
No one is going to relplicare UConn’s past success and that applies to UConn as well.

Reaction Score
But it's true. South Carolina is coming into its own as the powerhouse program of the sport, while UConn slowly heads for the exit.
Hoopsfan, I'll repeat what I've said previously here, much as I wouldn't want it to happen, SC is one injury to Aliyah Boston from falling back into the pack. The Gamecocks might get there, but they're far from a dynasty at this point.

Reaction Score
To a degree he may be right. Culturally, can we get the best prospects compared to Stanford and programs like SC when the game is trending toward bigger, faster athletes who can defend and rebound well when our stock in trade are skilled shooters from prep schools? Culturally is that extremely athletic player a good fit when their background is maybe not as clean cut? The most athletic players we recruit often end up somewhere else recently or on the bench. We don’t recruit the Janiah Barkers of the world but she may end up the player that is key to winning a NC. I think we will certainly be in the conversation but you could make a case that the next generation of coach who could relate more culturally might even be a an appropriate move. Cue the outrage here but players need to want to come to UConn and the pressure and expectation level is ridiculous. Great players don’t want to be perceived as failures if they come in 2nd.
Stock in trade means an idea or behavior characteristic of a person or their work. You call two skilled shooters from a couple of prep schools in recent memory of their recruiting a characteristic of UConn's recruiting philosophy? Two players? I don't.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with the "three dominant programs" in no particular order.

Gotta add my Louisville Cardinals to the "just below" group. And while they might not be quite back to that level just yet, I'd include Tennessee and Notre Dame.
Methinks we Boneyarders don't want to think about that last suggestion, KY Card Fan, as true as it might be.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Boston chose South Carolina? I suspect a big reason was because Dawn's offensive philosophy prioritizes the post play a dominant big like her or Wilson, while Geno's does not.

That beautiful inside out game of Dawn's was even better showcased in the Louisville game. But she also used in in the 2020 Olympic gold medal game to comfortably beat an undersized China. In the first half of that game in particular, DT continually fed the ball to Griner in the low post for easy basket after easy basket.

Now contrast that with they type of game that those two played together in Phoenix. Sandy Brondello used pretty much the same offence as Geno does, and so you saw Griner usually out on the perimeter acting as a kind of passing facilitator, much in the same style that Liv played for UConn these past four years. The result? The WNBA team with the world's two most dominant players in their positions for almost a decade, but under Brondello they just won one championship together back in 2014.

Geno's motion offense was the perfect style of play against Tennessee in 2000. But today against other elite NCAA woman's teams, no longer.
'Twas Japan vs. the USA in the Olympics gold medal game last year, but your point was excellent.

Reaction Score
If we stay healthy, I expect to be back here next year

I would have to agree with the above quote. UConn had 9 regular contributors throughout the season.
  • When they had 7 or more available they went 25-2 with both losses coming to South Carolina.
  • When they had only 6 available they went 5-4 with losses to Georgia Tech, Louisville, Oregon & Villanova.
1649134384915.png

Reaction Score
next season will be interesting, 1 sr only 2 jrs and 2 soph starting. That is relatively young, am wondering around wbb if there is a really experienced team and the only one that I can come up with is Maryland. I think they showed signs this season that they could potentially be a ntl title contender in 2023, but they might need to add a transfer. Either way I think they definitely could make final 4 next season.

Reaction Score
Not only is this true but imo anyway, if Geno had had both wilson and Boston for 7 years, he would almost certainly have gotten more than two titles out of those seven years! Kudos to Dawn, she has certainly built a great program over there and deserves to be praised for it! However, she still has a long way to go before she reaches Geno’s level! Anyone truly believe Geno would have only won 1 title each with those two players? For that matter, Griner won one title with Kim. I have a hard time believing she wouldn’t have won at least one or two more with Geno. I’m confident people are going to find out that the old dog can still bite over the next few years!
Not if SC had Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson. No one was beating UConn A'ja first 2 years at SC. It has nothing to do with coaching it is the player and surrounding talent.

Reaction Score

Who cares about breaking UConn and Tennessee records? Do you really think Dawn thinks about trying to catch Geno and Pat? She already said she doesn't see herself coaching in her late 60s.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Understanding that winning it all has seemed like a UConn birthright, making the FF every year and failing to make the last game twice due to a couple of last second hoops isn’t exactly the exit. SC is excellent, but so far, they won their first NC with the best post player in the game that year but only once during her tenure. Ditto with Boston, recognizing they didn’t have the opportunity one of those years. We knocked off the team that beat them last year. I kind of think the big mistake UConn made this year was focusing too much on Boston. She actually wasn’t dominant. But her presence was because concentrating so much energy on her opened up opportunities for others on the backboards and on offense. Henderson took full advantage to her credit. Even then, there were 5 or so occasions where UConn missed chances to get within 3 or 4 and Caroline, who played pretty well, missed two FT which affects momentum. As I have said, years ago the mens team played LSU and Shaq. Calhoun used the opposite strategy. You can struggle to stop him, which they chose not to do, or you can make sure nobody else can hurt you. It worked to the tune of a double digit win even with Shaq scoring near 30 and getting his rebounds.

Except for Henderson, UConn defended great, but got killed by second and third chance points. UConn lost the way GA’s teams usually lose when at relatively full strength. To a team that can defend as well as they do and have at least one player who goes off on them. And of course in this game the rebounding and I’m not sure how much difference Dorka would’ve made. Griffin on the other hand, who hopefully will be an important contributor next year, might’ve been the anti dote to Henderson. Nobody is thrilled to have to beat UConn quite yet, but obviously lots of talent and a couple of big talents still tend to give the top contenders the necessary edge. Boston picked SC for her own reasons. The edge.

Reaction Score
SC has had the most dominating center for 8 years in a row ( A'jai Wilson for 4; and now Boston for 4). That's like having the best NFL QB, with the luxury of adding receivers , tackles and defensive backs to build a champion. Boston is very much like the Breanna Stewart years for UCONN. SC would have won last year but Boston's "put back" rolled off the rim instead of in. And if she remains at SC ( she
will ) , they will win again next year. UCONN may well challenge and even make the game closer. But as long as Boston is at their core, I don't think they can be beaten. Just like when we had Breanna. And the truth is; Geno is getting nearer to retirement every day. And Dawn Staley is a young version of Geno. Life just happens that way. The tide is turning.
We beat them last year in OT with the same starting 5 for SC and UConn had Nika starting and she scored 8 points by the way and we had no Dorka but we did have Aubrey who held her own on rebounding since she is so quick to the ball. So with Henderson gone who was their glue I like our chances. Dawn's team adjusted to our screen system to get Paige open and found that a smaller quicker guard like Hennie did what MacDonald did for Arizona last year in the final 4. We need to make a coaching adjustment to stop Boston. We can do it.

Reaction Score
Some heart wrenching quotes in this article - here.

"Tears in their eyes, Paige Bueckers and Evina Westbrook walked through the hallways of Target Center, hobbling a bit and slowly making their way to one last postgame interview session this season. As they walked past a tunnel leading to the court, the loudspeaker proclaimed, “Congrats to the 2022 national champions.”

"Bueckers peered through the tunnel, watching confetti rain onto the court and player celebrations ensue. She hugged Westbrook, then wrapped an arm around the senior. They walked the remaining distance to the dais that way. Together with no space between them."

"As Bueckers and Westbrook walked back from the dais to the locker room, they once again passed the open tunnel to the court. A brass band played joyously to the departing fans in the background beyond security checkpoints. Both Bueckers and Westbrook turned their faces to the court. At that moment, a South Carolina player stood atop one of the ladders, snipping a piece of the net." (insert fuel for the fire next season here)

"But in this moment, it was the Huskies having to watch from afar as the Gamecocks celebrated. And so Bueckers and Westbrook turned their faces back to the hallway and kept going."
The last time, maybe the first time, Geno said that---"we'll be back next year"--I cringed because is was a brash and nearly impossible thing to do, and he wasn't back the next year. Sometime around 2001--plus or minus 3 years.. Geno really believes these kids can do that.
Are you talking about the players or the fans when you speak about being here next year if "we" are healthy? I for one am 79, so things are day to day. If I am healthy, I would like to see one more National Championship
A pseudo hijack of my own thread re this about next year. We will have to play to get a top seed, and just read our OOC opponents are South Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Duke, Oregon State, Tennessee, Notre Dame and NC State? Wooweee
To be the best you test yourself against the best. Pure Geno. I wouldn't bet against him.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the players or the fans when you speak about being here next year if "we" are healthy? I for one am 79, so things are day to day. If I am healthy, I would like to see one more National Championship.
Hey kid you could be President. Past 70 life depends on outlook. We don't worry about tomorrow any more than a 16 year old. The difference is at this age it gets here quicker. My sister just passed 100 and no one on earth eats less healthy than she. She swins 3 times a week.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The biggest problem the program faces right now is that the offensive scheme that Geno continues to deploy no longer works.

Whatever you want to call it... motion, Princeton, chin, finesse.... the women's college game has evolved a lot in the past half-dozen years, including stronger, more athletic and better conditioned players. And the elite teams have also learned to defend this offence. Heck, they had to to have any chance of beat UConn after the four-championship run.

The basic problem with the offence it is forgoes the low hanging fruit more easily attained by teams that aggressively attack the rim (Notre Dame in 2018 & 2019) or play a proper inside out game with their dominant big down low (South Carolina in 2022). And it exchanges that for a much more complex, difficult-to-execute style of play based of perimeter passing and read-and-react.

It's beautiful to watch against inferior teams. But in today's game it only works now when you have a clear talent advantage pretty much up and down the roster. In this era of parity, Geno no longer has that, and I don't think it's likely he'll have it again.
And yet since the Stewart years, this offense has gotten UCONN to every FF. That's all 5 of them. Stanford hasn't. S. Carolina hasn't. ND hasn't. Louisville hasn't.

Minus a couple crazy/lucky finishes/shots, UCONN might have had a couple more NCs.

If this offense keeps producing like it has, I'm fine with it. Wasn't the offense that lost the NC this year, it was the rebounding.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I wrote somewhere else about S. Carolina's "dynasty" that maybe we should wait til they have won back to back NC's, or 3 in a row, or 4 in a row. Or had an undefeated season, or back to back undefeated seasons, or 6 undefeated seasons. They haven't even been to 3 FF in a row, let alone 4 (TN) or 5 (Stanford), or 14.

You know before we decide they are dominate and have a dynasty. They were fairly dominate this year, but still lost 2 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom