‘If we stay healthy, I expect to be back here next year’ | The Boneyard

‘If we stay healthy, I expect to be back here next year’

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some heart wrenching quotes in this article - here.

"Tears in their eyes, Paige Bueckers and Evina Westbrook walked through the hallways of Target Center, hobbling a bit and slowly making their way to one last postgame interview session this season. As they walked past a tunnel leading to the court, the loudspeaker proclaimed, “Congrats to the 2022 national champions.”

"Bueckers peered through the tunnel, watching confetti rain onto the court and player celebrations ensue. She hugged Westbrook, then wrapped an arm around the senior. They walked the remaining distance to the dais that way. Together with no space between them."

"As Bueckers and Westbrook walked back from the dais to the locker room, they once again passed the open tunnel to the court. A brass band played joyously to the departing fans in the background beyond security checkpoints. Both Bueckers and Westbrook turned their faces to the court. At that moment, a South Carolina player stood atop one of the ladders, snipping a piece of the net." (insert fuel for the fire next season here)

"But in this moment, it was the Huskies having to watch from afar as the Gamecocks celebrated. And so Bueckers and Westbrook turned their faces back to the hallway and kept going."

Reaction Score
I really liked this comment from Geno. It's pretty bold. No one really brought it up earlier this weekend, but last year he made a similar comment about they'll be back in the final four next year. It was a bit after his rant about the team needing to grow up last year, but when he said that I was like woah, like that's pretty bold. In any event, I do trust Geno. I know its annoying that we play Monday morning quarterback and question his decisions sometimes on the forum, but at the end of the day I know he's right most of the time, and is one of one as far as coaching. I was sad to see his 11-0 streak in championships come to an end. I also didn't want the "Dawn is taking over the women's game" narrative to start. but c'est la vie. It will be tough to get back for sure though. I guess another thing that is a kudos to the team, and hopefully we don't have to do next year is beat 3 number one seeds to win a natty. SC only had to beat one, and had Creighton as their regional final.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I guess another thing that is a kudos to the team, and hopefully we don't have to do next year is beat 3 number one seeds to win a natty. SC only had to beat one, and had Creighton as their regional final.
A pseudo hijack of my own thread re this about next year. We will have to play to get a top seed, and just read our OOC opponents are South Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Duke, Oregon State, Tennessee, Notre Dame and NC State? Wooweee

Reaction Score
I really liked this comment from Geno. It's pretty bold. No one really brought it up earlier this weekend, but last year he made a similar comment about they'll be back in the final four next year. It was a bit after his rant about the team needing to grow up last year, but when he said that I was like woah, like that's pretty bold. In any event, I do trust Geno. I know its annoying that we play Monday morning quarterback and question his decisions sometimes on the forum, but at the end of the day I know he's right most of the time, and is one of one as far as coaching. I was sad to see his 11-0 streak in championships come to an end. I also didn't want the "Dawn is taking over the women's game" narrative to start. but c'est la vie. It will be tough to get back for sure though. I guess another thing that is a kudos to the team, and hopefully we don't have to do next year is beat 3 number one seeds to win a natty. SC only had to beat one, and had Creighton as their regional final.
But it's true. South Carolina is coming into its own as the powerhouse program of the sport, while UConn slowly heads for the exit.

Reaction Score
A pseudo hijack of my own thread re this about next year. We will have to play to get a top seed, and just read our OOC opponents are South Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Duke, Oregon State, Tennessee, Notre Dame and NC State? Wooweee
Wow that is some non-conference. A lot of potential to see those teams in the NCAA tourney as well.

Reaction Score
But it's true. South Carolina is coming into its own as the powerhouse program of the sport, while UConn slowly heads for the exit.
Touche. That's a tough one to read tho it may be true. I'm still all in on the PB, CD, Azzi era. Maybe it's irrational but I still like the team's chances next year if healthy and will continue to believe UConn's reign as a dominant program is not over .

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Touche. That's a tough one to read tho it may be true. I'm still all in on the PB, CD, Azzi era. Maybe it's irrational but I still like the team's chances next year if healthy and will continue to believe UConn's reign as a dominant program is not over .
A quick summary of WCBB: First was dominated by La Tech, Then Tennessee, then UConn. But since Stewart's unprecedented four Championships, the NC has been S. Carolina, Notre Dame, (Miss. State runner up twice), Baylor, cancelled, Stanford, and S. Carolina.

I would observe there are now three dominant programs, S. Carolina, Stanford, And UConn, and we knew that from the beginning of the season. There are several teams just below the top three, Texas, Iowa, Maryland, Baylor, LSU, etc.

In other words, Dominant isn't what it used to be. Some UConn fans need to get used to it.

Reaction Score
A quick summary of WCBB: First was dominated by La Tech, Then Tennessee, then UConn. But since Stewart's unprecedented four Championships, the NC has been S. Carolina, Notre Dame, (Miss. State runner up twice), Baylor, cancelled, Stanford, and S. Carolina.

I would observe there are now three dominant programs, S. Carolina, Stanford, And UConn, and we knew that from the beginning of the season. There are several teams just below the top three, Texas, Iowa, Maryland, Baylor, LSU, etc.

In other words, Dominant isn't what it used to be. Some UConn fans need to get used to it.
Gotta agree with the "three dominant programs" in no particular order.

Gotta add my Louisville Cardinals to the "just below" group. And while they might not be quite back to that level just yet, I'd include Tennessee and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem the program faces right now is that the offensive scheme that Geno continues to deploy no longer works.

Whatever you want to call it... motion, Princeton, chin, finesse.... the women's college game has evolved a lot in the past half-dozen years, including stronger, more athletic and better conditioned players. And the elite teams have also learned to defend this offence. Heck, they had to to have any chance of beat UConn after the four-championship run.

The basic problem with the offence it is forgoes the low hanging fruit more easily attained by teams that aggressively attack the rim (Notre Dame in 2018 & 2019) or play a proper inside out game with their dominant big down low (South Carolina in 2022). And it exchanges that for a much more complex, difficult-to-execute style of play based of perimeter passing and read-and-react.

It's beautiful to watch against inferior teams. But in today's game it only works now when you have a clear talent advantage pretty much up and down the roster. In this era of parity, Geno no longer has that, and I don't think it's likely he'll have it again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If UConn had a big that actually required double teaming by the other team, the guards would have more room to operate and have open shots...SC have Boston who you've got the double with 2 or even 3 players and she is good enough passer to get the ball to open shooters.

Reaction Score
Take Aliyah Boston out of a Gamecock's uniform and put in a Huskies uniform and no one would be talking about any era's ending.
Why do you think Boston chose South Carolina? I suspect a big reason was because Dawn's offensive philosophy prioritizes the post play a dominant big like her or Wilson, while Geno's does not.

That beautiful inside out game of Dawn's was even better showcased in the Louisville game. But she also used in in the 2020 Olympic gold medal game to comfortably beat an undersized China. In the first half of that game in particular, DT continually fed the ball to Griner in the low post for easy basket after easy basket.

Now contrast that with they type of game that those two played together in Phoenix. Sandy Brondello used pretty much the same offence as Geno does, and so you saw Griner usually out on the perimeter acting as a kind of passing facilitator, much in the same style that Liv played for UConn these past four years. The result? The WNBA team with the world's two most dominant players in their positions for almost a decade, but under Brondello they just won one championship together back in 2014.

Geno's motion offense was the perfect style of play against Tennessee in 2000. But today against other elite NCAA woman's teams, no longer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed, more insightful commentary....Geno even admitted being disappointed with the way he handled himself at times this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
let's see if Dawn can keep her team at number one after Boston is gone.......not going to be easy.....
I think S.C. has enough talent and coaching to be roughly top-5 in the post-Boston era, but I think this year or next year is their peak, and then they drop at least a little.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Boston chose South Carolina? I suspect a big reason was because Dawn's offensive philosophy prioritizes the post play a dominant big like her or Wilson, while Geno's does not.

That beautiful inside out game of Dawn's was even better showcased in the Louisville game. But she also used in in the 2020 Olympic gold medal game against to comfortably beat an undersized China. In the first half of that game in particular, DT fed the ball to Griner in the low post over for easy basket after easy basket.

Now contrast that with they type of game that those two played together in Phoenix. Sandy Brondello used pretty much the same offence as Geno does, and so you saw Griner usually out on the perimeter acting as a kind of passing facilitator, much in the same style that Liv played for UConn these past four years. The result? The WNBA team with the world's two most dominant players in their positions for almost a decade, but they just won one championship together back in 2014.
I think if Boston had gone to UConn you can believe Geno would have developed plenty of ways to get her the ball down low........the fact is that simply wasn't ONO's strong suite against bigger post players so better to have her facilitate from outside......... although Geno has recruited most of the few really dominant posts available, none have ended up at UConn recently............looks like only one top notch post left in the 2023 class and it's a bit unlikely she's coming East and only one top notch post in the 2024 class too so UConn may have to concentrate recruiting at other positions.....

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
The biggest problem the program faces right now is that the offensive scheme that Geno continues to deploy no longer works.

Whatever you want to call it... motion, Princeton, chin, finesse.... the women's college game has evolved a lot in the past half-dozen years, including stronger, more athletic and better conditioned players. And the elite teams have also learned to defend this offence. Heck, they had to to have any chance of beat UConn after the four-championship run.

The basic problem with the offence it is forgoes the low hanging fruit more easily attained by teams that aggressively attack the rim (Notre Dame in 2018 & 2019) or play a proper inside out game with their dominant big down low (South Carolina in 2022). And it exchanges that for a much more complex, difficult-to-execute style of play based of perimeter passing and read-and-react.

It's beautiful to watch against inferior teams. But in today's game it only works now when you have a clear talent advantage pretty much up and down the roster. In this era of parity, Geno no longer has that, and I don't think it's likely he'll have it again.
Thank you, totally agree. I remarked in another post that it also doesn't work with Paige's offensive skill set. I think it suppresses her intangibles which makes her great. I know the adage of if it's not broken....I was watching the pregame with DS and she made an interesting comment which speaks to your point. To pp- she basically said what she observed with Geno going through the season is that it was clear he was having a rough time managing..she said he had to 'pivot' to meet the challenges. Clearly indicating that he had to change his approach but a tough thing for him. My concern is how will Paige be...she's clearly discouraged, I don't think it should be pooh poohed how she'll be processing everything this offseason. This one hits different. Some adjustments are going to have to be made to make bigger strides. I wouldn't be surprised if big changes aren't set in motion following next season or sooner-sometimes things are just what they seem.

Reaction Score
Geno's motion offense was the perfect style of play against Tennessee in 2000. But today against other elite NCAA woman's teams, no longer.
Odd that you are saying this-- during the Stanford game they said UCON and Stanford run similar offense and last year the Arizona coach said she was prepared for UCONN's offense beau case several teams run it or close it to in the PAC Conference.

The problem is that he didn't have balance inside and out. And other that Paige and Azzi - he doesn't have efficient 3pt shooting which he always had. SO when they are hurt sick or out etc combined with they don’t have a consistent offensive player at the 4/5 spot - they are more apt to not look as good.

But Paige, who fits beautifully in UCONN's system as we saw last year as just a frosh and moments this year- a full year her and Azzi- they just need to find another scorer but it must be inside, then you’d see offense on a tear. It doesn’t matter the offense you need balance or unless you have a bunch of Steph Curry’s out there. SO next year expect some tight games with offense struggling a bit as well but overall UCONN should be better.

Reaction Score
But Paige, who fits beautifully in UCONN's system as we saw last year as just a frosh and moments this year- a full year her and Azzi- they just need to find another scorer but it must be inside, then you’d see offense on a tear. It doesn’t matter the offense you need balance or unless you have a bunch of Steph Curry’s out there. SO next year expect some tight games with offense struggling a bit as well but overall UCONN should be better.
One dominant big away from the brass ring

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom