‘24 vs. ‘23 | The Boneyard

‘24 vs. ‘23

Reaction Score
If last year’s Huskies played the current Storrs Five, what would the final score be?

Reaction Score
Not sure what's better, but I feel like this team just plays on the court better. Adding Spencer added a different dimension to this team we didn't have last year which was a handler capable of scoring all 3 levels where I felt Hawkins was albeit very good at shooting, didn't have what Spencer has

Reaction Score
If last year’s Huskies played the current Storrs Five, what would the final score be?
I think youre forgetting how great that team became. Do you think its easy to win 6 games in March without giving up more than 60 points but once and beating everyone by an average of 20 points? Also winning the title game by 17 points? I mean how many minutes did they even trail the whole tournament? That team will go down as one of the most underrated great teams of all time.

Reaction Score
I think youre forgetting how great that team became. Do you think its easy to win 6 games in March without giving up more than 60 points but once and beating everyone by an average of 20 points? Also winning the title game by 17 points? I mean how many minutes did they even trail the whole tournament? That team will go down as one of the most underrated great teams of all time.
All he did was ask the question. I think this team has a chance to become our best team ever if they stay healthy the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Sanogo/Clingan over Clingan/Johnson would make the difference
Absolutely, Sanogo is the key difference, also last year's team was deeper. Non-starters last year were Clingan, Joey and Alleyne, who were much more potent than Johnson, Solo and Stewart. But Sanogo was an unstoppable beast who would always give you 15 - 20 points a game, and UConn will miss him more than anything this year. Defensively, I give the nod to last year's squad too, the main difference is Spencer's limited defensive ability (offensivly he is massive). And I sometimes think Andre and Stephon are a wash, but I'm less sure about that conclusion.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All he did was ask the question. I think this team has a chance to become our best team ever if they stay healthy the rest of the season.
In relation to their competition? I’d agree.

But there’s not a player on this team as good as Ben and Emeka. Or a bench guy as good as Charlie and Rashad.

I’d make a case for ‘09 too when healthy but that’s preferences.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Last year's team would win.

We cannot compare this year's team to last. HOWEVER, in relation to our competition, I think this year's team may be better. Especially with some of our roster now having that winning experience.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
And I sometimes think Andre and Stephon are a wash, but I'm less sure about that conclusion.
There were a few spots last night where I thought "Castle is Andre 2.0"

Reaction Score
In relation to their competition? I’d agree.

But there’s not a player on this team as good as Ben and Emeka. Or a bench guy as good as Charlie and Rashad.

I’d make a case for ‘09 too when healthy but that’s preferences.
No they don't but Newton is way better than Taliek, Spencer is better than Rashad, and Karaban is better than Boone.

'09 was great down low but that team couldn't shoot at all and had Craig Austrie in the starting lineup. When healthy was your point, it's possible but I still don't think they had enough shooting.

'04, '99, and last season are all significantly better than '09 IMO, '09 healthy possibly could've been in the mix.

Reaction Score
There were a few spots last night where I thought "Castle is Andre 2.0"
The Andre comparisons are so difficult because Andre is a world-class athlete. I think Castle will become a better basketball player than Andre. For my money, Andre is the most entertaining player we’ve ever seen at UConn. That one will be hard to beat.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Absolutely, Sanogo is the key difference, also last year's team was deeper. Non-starters last year were Clingan, Joey and Alleyne, who were much more potent than Johnson, Solo and Stewart. But Sanogo was an unstoppable beast who would always give you 15 - 20 points a game, and UConn will miss him more than anything this year. Defensively, I give the nod to last year's squad too, the main difference is Spencer's limited defensive ability (offensivly he is massive). And I sometimes think Andre and Stephon are a wash, but I'm less sure about that conclusion.
Solid take but You forgot to add Diarra to this years non-starters and he’s killing it this year.

Reaction Score
Not sure what's better, but I feel like this team just plays on the court better. Adding Spencer added a different dimension to this team we didn't have last year which was a handler capable of scoring all 3 levels where I felt Hawkins was albeit very good at shooting, didn't have what Spencer has
Hawkins was a 3 level scorer, but there's more than 3 levels. The driving ability that Spencer has, which you mentioned, and his ability to play with back to the basket as a guard is what sets them apart. Not to mention Cam is a real combo guard while Hawkins was a true wing in our offense.

Reaction Score
The Andre comparisons are so difficult because Andre is a world-class athlete. I think Castle will become a better basketball player than Andre. For my money, Andre is the most entertaining player we’ve ever seen at UConn. That one will be hard to beat.
Pump the brakes with the “ Andre most entertaining player” BS

Ya really buy that? Guess what UConn men’s basketball did not start 10 years ago

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No they don't but Newton is way better than Taliek, Spencer is better than Rashad, and Karaban is better than Boone.

'09 was great down low but that team couldn't shoot at all and had Craig Austrie in the starting lineup. When healthy was your point, it's possible but I still don't think they had enough shooting.

'04, '99, and last season are all significantly better than '09 IMO, '09 healthy possibly could've been in the mix.

For ‘04
Taliek isn’t Newton but he was a dog defensively to get into Newton who’s one of the best players on this team. Then you have the Ben vs Cam matchup and we know Cam has no shot there. Maybe Castle? But even then Ben was a pretty unguardable player no matter who you put in front of him and Cam would have the responsibility of keeping Brown from getting to the rim who wasn’t a slouch himself on that switch. Either that or yeah, Rashad off the bench.

Brown vs Castle is a wash as teams have shown you can neutralize him if you make him shoot. Plus good luck to him trying to get to the rim with Emeka waiting for him and just that team leading the country in blocks overall.

The only advantage ‘24 would have offensively would be Karaban taking Boone out the paint. Even then you can sub in Charlie if need be who would have the athleticism and skill to keep up with him while also being a mismatch at the other end or just play really small by putting Dehnam at the 4. On the other side of the coin ‘24 has no answer if Karaban struggles with Boone or Charlie in the paint.

This team is great, but I don’t think it’s as much from a talent perspective as it is just a really great scheme combined with the level of competition there is nowadays. Certain guys from that era were straight up unguardable no matter what system they were in. While also being dogs on defense with DPOYs behind them.

For ‘09

Much closer matchup wise and I’m talking with Dyson. Even then that team without Dyson fought tooth and nail in a MSU home game in the Final Four.

I was preparing to really nerd out on this matchup but I decided to delete as it’d make the post way too long. Lol

I admit a pretty personal bias for ‘09 as they are one of my favorite teams despite not winning it all. They might be the best defensive team when healthy out of everyone.

Price, Dyson, Robinson, Adrien, and Thabeet is a super intimidating group to go against. Subbing Kemba off the bench doesn’t help either who had a knack for getting turnovers and making it hell for guys to get the ball across the half court line. Averaged over a steal a game as a freshman. For reference, Diarra averages 0.8 this year.

These conversations are really fun for me.

Reaction Score
Andre and Castle are a wash? Would love it if Castle could rain 3's like Hawkins (all due respect to the ONE Castle actually hit last night). And Hawkins could actually finish at the rim. So not even close offensively. Defensively, Castle is tough and he rebounds well. Another year or two at UConn and maybe his shooting and offensive game reach Hawkin's level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom