OT: - Zion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Zion

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Aside from the other points (he's not a center, neither is Baker), Oden's injury issues were fundamentally different.

Oden injured the articular cartilage in his knee, not just a ligament or meniscus. I have a similar injury to my left knee, which occurred around the same time. There is no blood flow to articular cartilage. So the treatment at the time was microfracture surgery to allow bone marrow, containing stem cells, to regrow the damaged cartilage. It wasn't a wildly successful procedure at the time. I'm not sure it is much better now, although they attempt direct injections of stem cells to avoid some of the issues.

Zion's injury is a common one that virtually every modern athlete returns from without major issues. His size/weight will continue to stress his joints (and shoes).

IIRC, Micro fracture surgery is what basically killed Webber and Amare’s careers too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
IIRC, Micro fracture surgery is what basically killed Webber and Amare’s careers too.

Yeah. There just isn't a real fix yet. Back then it required a continuous passive motion machine for six weeks. My Ortho said nobody who isn't a competitive athlete should undergo that surgery. Just manage it and wait until we have medical advances or you get an artificial knee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom