OT: - Zion | The Boneyard

OT: Zion

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
While Duke started out talking minor injury, they've been unforthcoming with new info. But I can't believe K would have wasted Baker's redshirt is he expected Zion to play another game for Duke. He certainly doesn't need him for the rest of the regular season, and if he thought he'd have him for the ACC tourney, why use the other 5 star center you've held out all year at this point in the season?
I suspect that we won't see Zion in a college game again. Remember the last dominant, full grown man, center who was going to dominant the NBA, then had an injury before ever playing in the league? Are we looking at the next Greg Oden?

Reaction Score
Oden was 6 or 7" taller and had an injury history going back to HS. There's no comparison; it took a never-before-seen shoe malfunction/destruction to injure Zion.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but Zion is a 3/4, not a center. He's 6'7 ish. Joey Baker is a small forward, again not a center.

Coach K said yesterday him and Zion hadn't even entertained the idea of Zion sitting out the rest of the season at Duke.

The Joey Baker thing is interesting. I suppose maybe it would be worth it if he was to play the rest of the season and into the tournament. But for 5-10 minutes against Syracuse when Jack White is available to play? Sheesh. Albeit White is 0-infinity shooting the last 2 months. It's questionable to say the least.

Also, Duke also said it was a grade 1(grade 3 being worst) MCL sprain. Not exactly leaving out information.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Good Lord. He tweeked a knee. His commitment to team is clear, I guess.

Reaction Score
It likely means Zion is coming back and K wants to maximize his chance to win this year by using Baker to cover up the fact no one can shoot on this roster. It also likely means K won’t be around to see senior Baker play. It’s a last ditch effort at glory.

Reaction Score
A very immature part of me thinks it’s funny when Jack White is the only....person named after a rockstar on the court. If the Crazies don’t go into a refrain of 7 Nation Army each time he scores they are doing it wrong.

Take a look at the kid's recent game logs. They won't be singing very often lol.

Jack White 2018-19 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

He fouled out after going 0 - 10 against Cuse at home. Coach K did him a favor not putting him out in front of 36,000 Syracuse fans the other day.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
While Duke started out talking minor injury, they've been unforthcoming with new info. But I can't believe K would have wasted Baker's redshirt is he expected Zion to play another game for Duke. He certainly doesn't need him for the rest of the regular season, and if he thought he'd have him for the ACC tourney, why use the other 5 star center you've held out all year at this point in the season?
I suspect that we won't see Zion in a college game again. Remember the last dominant, full grown man, center who was going to dominant the NBA, then had an injury before ever playing in the league? Are we looking at the next Greg Oden?
Anyone think there is a lawsuit in the works?

Reaction Score
If we are talking Greg Oden that sneaker could cost Zion a lot of money

He's still going top 3 even if he breaks his foot after coming back. Michael Porter Jr. needed legit career-threatening back surgery and still went in the lottery.

Oden still went #1 and made $25 million in the NBA (which would be ~$38 million in today's NBA).

Zion has insurance paid for by Duke if he falls out of the lottery for enough to buy his Mom a house and be comfortable for life. He has no risk in coming back.

Reaction Score
He's still going top 3 even if he breaks his foot after coming back. Michael Porter Jr. needed legit career-threatening back surgery and still went in the lottery.

Oden still went #1 and made $25 million in the NBA (which would be ~$38 million in today's NBA).

Zion has insurance paid for by Duke if he falls out of the lottery for enough to buy his Mom a house and be comfortable for life. He has no risk in coming back.

I think Zion has a 7 million dollar insurance policy if he falls out of the lottery. I heard someone today (I think Woj) say that he may land a 100 million dollar shoe deal. I agree with all your points - this projection initially blew my mind but now I do think it is believable.

pj

Reaction Score

Duke bought a player an expensive insurance policy? How is this not an illegal benefit?

Reaction Score
Duke bought a player an expensive insurance policy? How is this not an illegal benefit?

According to this, it is NCAA legal to do so.
Report: Zion Williamson's $8M Insurance Policy Revealed After Injury vs. UNC

Further source:
"Over the past decade, the NCAA has tweaked its rules when it comes to loss-of-value and disability coverage. College football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, men’s ice hockey players are now allowed to take out loans for future earnings and schools can cover the premiums themselves.

Williamson’s premium is covered by Duke, according to The Action Network. "
Duke's Zion Williamson is insured against a drop in draft

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The exploding shoe literally made him millions.

Or some grade A trolling if he doesn’t sign with Nike

Reaction Score
Jack White...:eek:
This guy wouldn’t come off the bench at UConn. Blows my mind how he gets minutes on one of the best teams in the country.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think Zion has a 7 million dollar insurance policy if he falls out of the lottery. I heard someone today (I think Woj) say that he may land a 100 million dollar shoe deal. I agree with all your points - this projection initially blew my mind but now I do think it is believable.
Yep and if he tries to collect that insurance the company that wrote that policy will be suing Nike to recover their losses

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Zion is going #1 except maybe if he has that leg amputated.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Jack White...:eek:
This guy wouldn’t come off the bench at UConn. Blows my mind how he gets minutes on one of the best teams in the country.

Not sure what has happened to him, he use to be able to play at the beginning of the year 0-28...is incredible.

Reaction Score
Not sure what has happened to him, he use to be able to play at the beginning of the year 0-28...is incredible.

Yeah he gave them some decent minutes and hit some 3s early in the season. Now he looks like a walk on. Honestly cannot believe they have nothing better to put out on the court.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Aside from the other points (he's not a center, neither is Baker), Oden's injury issues were fundamentally different.

Oden injured the articular cartilage in his knee, not just a ligament or meniscus. I have a similar injury to my left knee, which occurred around the same time. There is no blood flow to articular cartilage. So the treatment at the time was microfracture surgery to allow bone marrow, containing stem cells, to regrow the damaged cartilage. It wasn't a wildly successful procedure at the time. I'm not sure it is much better now, although they attempt direct injections of stem cells to avoid some of the issues.

Zion's injury is a common one that virtually every modern athlete returns from without major issues. His size/weight will continue to stress his joints (and shoes).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom