Zion and his passing | The Boneyard

Zion and his passing

Reaction Score
I might be wrong, but I think that it's fair to say that Zion's passing skills are better than his receivers' receiving skills. He had a really nice touch on the ball for several plays, usually avoided costly mistakes, and in fact gained yardage running this game on broken plays. All in all, this kid's a freshman, and I really think that he's going to get better and better each game. And with Ross and Marion out, Charlton's play calling is by necessity keeping Zion a bit in check. But so far, the speed of the game (admittedly CCSU's FCS speed) isn't a problem for him. I know that this wishes time away, but I can't wait for his junior and senior years.

Reaction Score
Mostly agree. I was at the game today and saw a few passes behind receivers, forcing them to turn/ adjust unsuccessfully at the end of a route. That seems like poor placement. I think he'll be good in the long-term, but I'm pretty concerned by the team's inability to stretch the field. Some of that could be the receivers not getting good enough separation.

Regardless of where the blame lies, I think we're a bit of a one-tricky pony right now, and I'm worried about what happens when equally big teams stack the box and realize every throw is a screen pass.

Reaction Score
He threw some nice deep passes, but also threw some hot garbage on the edge. Our receivers definitely don’t help. They are not getting open and can’t catch to boot. I’d rather see ZT under center, which we did at times, and use our TEs more. Got to solve the route running problem though..

Reaction Score
Nice moves Victor. Need you in the slot so we can get you in the open vs Cuse next week.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Has a lot to work on, especially middle of the field accuracy. But he has incredible touch on his passes, especially those corner fade routes. I think once he dials it in between the hashes, WATCH OUT!

Reaction Score
I also wish they had Marion….he’s pretty explosive. I thought Turner looked good. Who can they get vertical?

Reaction Score
I'm hedging my excitement of Turner for obvious reasons, but at the very least I am excited to see what he does with the positive momentum going into the Syracuse game.

No matter what, I commend Turner for immediately stepping in for Roberson.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is Drayton still hurt? I could have sworn he was on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
Nice moves Victor. Need you in the slot so we can get you in the open vs Cuse next week.
Use him also on punt returns and kickoffs, he sees the field better than most and I don’t know for sure but he might be the fastest player on the team, first team All State in the 200m dash last year.

Reaction Score
Running for 274 yards is a lot. I know I'm getting a little carried away but, it reminds me of the 49ers in the NFL. It's nothing like the RE era where they wanted to run the ball but only had a couple of plays. Mora/Charlton seem to really be scheming the run game. They have 4 guys all capable of big chunk plays toting the rock. New spin on the old "establish the run in the northeast" philosophy. Let's see how it develops, but I'm excited about what they'll be cooking up and how the passing game will complement it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Running for 274 yards is a lot. I know I'm getting a little carried away but, it reminds me of the 49ers in the NFL. It's nothing like the RE era where they wanted to run the ball but only had a couple of plays. Mora/Charlton seem to really be scheming the run game. They have 4 guys all capable of big chunk plays toting the rock. New spin on the old "establish the run in the northeast" philosophy. Let's see how it develops, but I'm excited about what they'll be cooking up and how the passing game will complement it.

Charlton has said on multiple occasions he wants an established run game and explosive passing game.
One of those two is getting accomplished.
Lack of WR speed, size, hands and route running is very problematic at this point.

Reaction Score
Charlton has said on multiple occasions he wants an established run game and explosive passing game.
One of those two is getting accomplished.
Lack of WR speed, size, hands and route running is very problematic at this point.
All the more reason to throw to Rosa and pray Drayton can play. I thought depth at receiver was a strength, but I guess we aren’t deep enough given the injuries we’ve had.

Reaction Score
Spread btwn WR/TE/RB:

1662298015543.png

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Zion has real issues throwing swing passes. He missed them last week and again this week. He needs to lead those accurately to give the guys a running start. He remains a work in progress.

The one to Turner at ~14min mark in 4Q was special, though.

I had the perfect angle to watch it. He pump faked the pass rusher, who jumped it perfectly, and then slinged it perfectly to Turner, who made it a big play. The fake and touch, even if planned, were spot on.

Reaction Score
Zion has real issues throwing swing passes. He missed them last week and again this week. He needs to lead those accurately to give the guys a running start. He remains a work in progress.
He can’t do that against Syracuse, it’ll be pick 6 city if he throws behind his target.

Reaction Score
The one play when Turner was brought out of the backfield was a beauty. I would love to see more of that with him, Rosa, and Brewton. Short passes, misdirection, open space for shifty runners.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The young man has natural talent and is fun to watch. What separates him from other natural talents is his command presence. He inspires confidence.

Reaction Score
All the more reason to throw to Rosa and pray Drayton can play. I thought depth at receiver was a strength, but I guess we aren’t deep enough given the injuries we’ve had.
is drayton still hurting?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom