Zero interceptons in three games | The Boneyard

Zero interceptons in three games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a pretty revealing stat. Interceptions come from pressure by the D-line or great coverage. Heck, sometimes it's random chance, a bad throw or tipped ball.

We really need the defense to start helping the offense if we want to add to the win column.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would agree with this especially given the amount of turnovers that our offense have given away this season. But it's tough to lay any kind of blame towards our defense who I think, for the most part, have played very well so far this season.

Reaction Score
The defense has played very well no doubt, but considering our numerous turnovers on offense, our lack of turnovers on defense is very noticeable. That being said, it will take a group effort between the d-line, linebackers, the secondary and some luck. Certainly improvable as the season progresses to even out the turnover battle

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we cut down on our own turnovers, that would be a solution as well. Let the defense just focus on tackling, playing proper assignments and forcing 4th downs. But yeah, the amount of turnovers from our offense makes this stick out a bit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's the ying and yang of a bend but don't break. You give the receivers a bit more room to make sure they don't get behind you (cue the Obi getting burn reply) nor do they break one long when the CB goes for the pick and misses.

I'd like to see more forced fumbles. Team has done a very good job of gang tackling and swarming after initial contact.

Reaction Score
Very disturbing stat. A couple of positive first half turnovers in the upcoming USF game would be sweet. With the Husky defense really coming along I think this is possible.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The PI call on Obi was a clear chance for an INT. He looked back, it seemed like he saw the ball, then kept on running right into the receiver instead of trying to make a play on the ball (which was slightly short). That play just killed me.

Also, as BL pointed out, our CB's are not turning back to find the ball (see John Green's pass defense in the 1st quarter as a great example). Hard to INT the ball when you don't know it's there.

Of note, Ruben Frank had one go off his hands last week. Tough catch to make but could have been an INT but even if he had, I don't think that would have made me feel any better about our secondary's ability to get takeaways.

This is a bend but don't break defense from what I understand. Takeaways are going to require mistakes by the offense as opposed to great plays by the defense.

Reaction Score
our DBs arent going to pick off any passes until they start turning their heads and looking for the ball

Why is there not more conversation about our DB's. Generally speaking, isn't one of the main roles of a safety to provide deep support for cornerbacks? The times I see Obi getting beat, there's not a CB in sight.

Reaction Score
Frank in coverage dropped a int this year, he looks real out of place in coverage and I hold my breath that the opponent is sending someone out in his zone area. The QB throwback totally fooled him. On Saturday we had a DB lower his head to make a hit in the first half and missed a chance to snag a ball that had popped up after another DB hit the receiver. Just bad ball skills by that group so far.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I believe it was the Stony Brook game where we had at least 3 INTs bounce off or go right through the hands of our DBs and maybe LB. So that number should not be zero but the reality is, it is zero and that's not going to cut it. When we had bend and don't break defenses in the apst, they always seemed to come up with that turnover to help out the offense.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty revealing stat. Interceptions come from pressure by the D-line or great coverage. Heck, sometimes it's random chance, a bad throw or tipped ball.

We really need the defense to start helping the offense if we want to add to the win column.
I've been saying this for the past few years. We rarely turn the other guy over. When you have a struggling offense, you need picks and fumble recoveries. Odds of going 35 yards are a lot higher than asking our offense to go 75 or 80. Last year we had 13 picks. In 2010 we had 20. 5 pick 6s. Last year it was 1.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for the past few years. We rarely turn the other guy over. When you have a struggling offense, you need picks and fumble recoveries. Odds of going 35 yards are a lot higher than asking our offense to go 75 or 80. Last year we had 13 picks. In 2010 we had 20. 5 pick 6s. Last year it was 1.

I think whoever pointed out that our secondary lacks ball skills is correct. I have noticed more of an effort to force fumbles this year as compared to the last three.

Reaction Score

Is that true? WE only had one INT last year?

Last year we had 13.

Mack, Taylor 3
Jones, Byron 3
Adams, Andrew 2
Melifonwu, Obi 2
WILLIAMS, Jha. 1
Lee, Wilbert 1
SMALLWOOD, Yaw. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online