Zags v. Tn. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zags v. Tn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A valiant effort, but I guess that's it for the Zags. They responded poorly indeed when Tennessee upped the pressure.

Reaction Score
Wow, how weak is the Gonzaga point guard. She can't do anything without looking over to the coach for direction. Not what you look for in a D1 point guard IMO.

HGN

Reaction Score
Wow......A great win for the Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
I do feel for them, making bad decisions at the very end of the close game. Unfortunately, that is one area in which UConn can't claim mastery. :(

A more fundamental problem was the way that their game degraded with plenty of time on the clock, as Tennessee narrowed that 16 point lead. Credit to Tennessee for upping their intensity, but Gonzaga was simply brutal in that stretch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, how weak is the Gonzaga point guard. She can't do anything without looking over to the coach for direction. Not what you look for in a D1 point guard IMO.
It may be the coach. Some coaches want to make the calls. Some PGs have no choice.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tennessee's superior athleticism was the difference. It lead to 10 more field goal attempts and 9 more free throws. Gonzaga had no answer for physical defense or offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Tennessee's superior athleticism was the difference. It lead to 10 more field goal attempts and 9 more free throws. Gonzaga had no answer for physical defense or offensive rebounds.

They did for 35 minutes.

Than they choked.

They had a free throw shooter who shoots nearly 90% go to the line and miss 2 front ends.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They did for 35 minutes.

Than they choked.

They had a free throw shooter who shoots nearly 90% go to the line and miss 2 front ends.

Tennessee really didn't get physical until late in the game. Either way, they were outshot by 14% and won due to all the extra shots their athleticism got them.

Reaction Score
They did for 35 minutes.

Than they choked.

Yep. Those 2 misses by someone that was almost automatic from the free throw stripe, a young coach that never used her timeouts to slow momentum until it was too late and a team that played offense like the ball was a live grenade in the final minutes were the reasons.

Reaction Score
Give Tennessee credit (I hate to but I must), but Gonzaga is the biggest bunch of chokers ever. A 17 pt. lead with 6 minutes and they folded like a cheap suit. Gonzaga turned it over every freakin time they were pressured, their coach had no answers, they couldn't inbound the ball, they couldn't get the ball down low to their bigs, and when it counted nobody on the Gonzaga team wanted the ball or had the courage to take a damn shot.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Kind of reminded me of the 2007 game vs UNC.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A valiant effort, but I guess that's it for the Zags. They responded poorly indeed when Tennessee upped the pressure.

That's the understatement of the week. A "gack" job for the ages.

Reaction Score
What the heck. I went to a restaurant and saw the Vols losing by 17. Now it's in OT!!! Gonzaga have a meltdown? Refs? What happened?
They went into a shell rarely seen around these parts.

Or any other parts, for that matter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What the heck. I went to a restaurant and saw the Vols losing by 17. Now it's in OT!!! Gonzaga have a meltdown? Refs? What happened?

Ha... I didnt even realize it was 17 points... i went to pick up some dinner and checked my phone and it was 61-50 i think... i was like... dag... its gonna be Zaga vs MD monday night....... i got on the interstate headed home... checked it again... and TN had the lead. Figured id better get off the highway onto a slower paced road... and i was watching the game on my phone while driving the last few miles home. Lucky it went to overtime and i saw the end of the game safely at home.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tennessee vs Maryland... [sigh]. Wish they could both lose. :confused:

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the words of Deb Antonelli tonight toward the end of the game? Talking about Holly Warlick, Deb said that she was "clearly the right person to replace Pat" ...... really? according to who? what has she brought to the table? she is to the elite 8 with wins over 3 teams against whom her team was a prohibitive favorite each time..... yet Deb is treating her as a hero...... I think Holly should be ashamed .... but Deb props her up..... a minute later..... she said something else incredulous..... "to try and do the things that Pat did, it may not be able to be done in this time and era in the game"....... really? Deb what planet are you on? Have you not seen our coaching staff .... which has put distance between their team and the rest of WCBB, yet Deb is saying that its just may not be possible..... saying such an inaccuracy is just plain irresponsible..... and paints Deb with a lack of credibility.......

I am not boasting about our coaching staff here, nor am i slamming Holly, but certainly I have been unimpressed with the Lady Vol's coaching staff and its ability to coach, motivate, and lead the players...... In the long run I am happy they win this way, as it fattens up the Tenn ego into thinking Holly is a can-do coach.... and keeps her in that spot....... I mean, our Tenn friends are ecstatic that Mercedes and Diamond come in to save the bacon next year, but as long as Holly is leading the team, I think for all those rooting for another team, this is a firewall...... Let her coach the program forever!!!

It is tough following a legend, but it is often a mistake tapping the lead assistant as the assumptive next in charge..... Gene Bartow, Bruiser Flint, Bill Guthridge...... the sentimental choice not always the best choice.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom