Zags annihilating Virginia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zags annihilating Virginia

Reaction Score
They are a whole different animal now. That team was tough and gritty with some shooters, but they were light years away from getting a player like Suggs back then. The way Kispert is playing so far this season, he's kinda like Frahm was back then, only a whole lot better.

Anyway, what about their team that was a runner up to Carolina in '17? I think ya gotta put them in front of '99 as well. Probably several other GU squads also. '99 got the ball rolling but they've seen some talent roll thru since then that nobody in Spokane could've possibly even dreamed of in '99.
Do you think this year's Gonzaga team beats our 99 team? Because their 99 team almost did.

Reaction Score
Has he ever altered his game plan? He coaches sort of like that former Princeton Coach, Pete Carrill .
Lots of discipline and focused players, but not sure he can, or ever, has changed. In a similar vein, can Boeheim's team play man to man?

Sort of like the Maginot line of basketball with a focus on an elaborate defense. I am not sure how flexible his offense is, but give him credit. He did win a NC.
This is exactly right. I love Bennett, hes a great guy and a great coach for a school like UVA that's just happy to be competitive in basketball, but he has 0 answers when another team figures out his system. Sets us up for plenty of embarrassing losses...

Unfortunately he usually doesn't have the players who can take over a game and win outside the system.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do you think this year's Gonzaga team beats our 99 team? Because their 99 team almost did.

99 team lost 7 games, including 2 in WCC play. Quite decent chance this year's Zags run the table during the regular season. Pretty close to zero chance they will drop 2 in conference play. 99 team was great fun to watch, I was at Key Arena for their 1st and 2nd round Tourney wins, but this year is a different level.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was when Kansas played zero defense- in the last 3 games Kansas has really stepped up their D & the results correlate.

They are playing better defense now. But their scoring is so streaky. The schedule is a gauntlet. #1 Zags, #13 Creighton, #15 TT, #7 WVU and #10 Texas next Saturday. Will be interesting to see Baylor.

A Gonzaga vs KU final wouldn’t surprise me. After UVA the Zags don’t play anybody who can give them much of a game. They could get soft.

Reaction Score
99 team lost 7 games, including 2 in WCC play. Quite decent chance this year's Zags run the table during the regular season. Pretty close to zero chance they will drop 2 in conference play. 99 team was great fun to watch, I was at Key Arena for their 1st and 2nd round Tourney wins.

Well... maybe the 99 Gonzaga team was not as good. Certainly didn't have the best record, but was definitely playing great by end of the year. Our 99 UCONN was very very good. And we squeaked by Gonzaga. They definitely deserved to be in the Final Four. Better than the Ohio State team we played in the next game. Comparable to the Duke team we beat in the finals.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well... maybe the 99 Gonzaga team was not as good. Certainly didn't have the best record, but was definitely playing great by end of the year. Our 99 UCONN was very very good. And we squeaked by Gonzaga. They definitely deserved to be in the Final Four. Better than the Ohio State team we played in the next game. Comparable to the Duke team we beat in the finals.
Agreed, they were playing very well in the Tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom