Zach Shay | The Boneyard

Zach Shay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/9335175-113/coordinator-defensive-shay-university

"Shay has applied for a coaching position at the University of Connecticut, which announced on Thursday that Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco will become the Huskies’ next head football coach.

Diaco and Shay played together at the University of Iowa and coached together at Western Illinois University."

http://www.uncbears.com/sports/fball/coaches/Shay_Zach

Hmmm - Wonder what coaching position? MS/LA recruiting connections from Alcorn State??

Reaction Score
I say DBs for coach for this guy, no? Checked his profile. He's got good coaching experience, but one would think we might want to bring in a guy with a tad more experience as DC...

Reaction Score
I say DBs for coach for this guy, no? Checked his profile. He's got good coaching experience, but one would think we might want to bring in a guy with a tad more experience as DC...

Possibly - since he hasn't formally"interviewed" any of the current staff (from reports), wondering if this is reactionary to his knowledge of who of the current staff have decided to move on...

Reaction Score
I am assuming it is for a position coach. Anyone know how position coach salaries at UCONN compare to Coordinator positions at a school like Northern Colorado?

Reaction Score
I am assuming it is for a position coach. Anyone know how position coach salaries at UCONN compare to Coordinator positions at a school like Northern Colorado?
good call bro.. I did a quick search on NC and that's a FCS school (had a worse record than ours at 1-11), so I'm expecting this guy to get similar money here (cost of living probably higher here)....

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The DC hire isn't nearly as crucial as the OC hire. I trust Diaco to make the right call on defense...because let's face it, it will be his defense. Offense on the other hand is going to tricky. That is where he hopefully finds someone with experience. And hopefully Warde is reminding him how important an exciting offense is to the team and fanbase.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The DC hire isn't nearly as crucial as the OC hire. I trust Diaco to make the right call on defense...because let's face it, it will be his defense. Offense on the other hand is going to tricky. That is where he hopefully finds someone with experience. And hopefully Warde is reminding him how important an exciting offense is to the team and fanbase.

I don't agree with that statement. I believe both are equally crucial. If for no other reason than the fact that both are expected to recruit and both will be the people that prospective recruits will look at when deciding to play at UConn. The coordinators on both sides of the ball dictate (for the most part) the style of play and the use of different personnel within their schemes. So you can't treat the DC hire as simply a placeholder. It's crucial...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I hear you...and it is crucial...but don't you think the OC hire is more crucial?

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that statement. I believe both are equally crucial. If for no other reason than the fact that both are expected to recruit and both will be the people that prospective recruits will look at when deciding to play at UConn. The coordinators on both sides of the ball dictate (for the most part) the style of play and the use of different personnel within their schemes. So you can't treat the DC hire as simply a placeholder. It's crucial...

good point.. BOTH are definitely important...

Reaction Score

UConn would be much higher... NCU Head Coach makes $95k + incentives? OC/DC's were under $60k a few years ago.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hear you...and it is crucial...but don't you think the OC hire is more crucial?

I really don't. It's literally half of the key to success, with the other half being the offense (I suppose you could argue 45/45/10 due to special teams). Half of the kids you recruit on a yearly basis are going to look at the DC and say "yeah I wanna play for a guy like that" or "nah, not my style." Same thing on the OC side. Equal and opposite...

Reaction Score
UConn would be much hire... NCU Head Coach makes $95k + incentives? OC/DC's were under $60k a few years ago.

another good post here... and cost of living does factor into FCS level coaching as well in CT vs. CO .. CCSU is looking to pay their HC to be $120k.. I know, that's besides the point...

Reaction Score
Dan - I normally agree with your posts but 45/45/10 is WAY off. Much closer to 35/35/30. No need to get caught up in the split numbers but Specials make the difference in many games. Think about Field Goals, field position, punt returns, etc. I was a fan of FHCRE but just couldn't believe how he neglected specials. Specials cost us the No Carolina game (remember the blocked punts?) and several other games.

Reaction Score
Look for Diaco to hire a DC who is bright, a good recruiter and has the ability to teach players Diaco's defensive schemes. The DC will need to understand Diaco's defense, teach it to the players, study the opposing offense and then draw up a plan to stop it.

The OC will need to know how to assess our players and then develop an offensive scheme that fits their talent. He will also need to be able to study opposing defenses and build a game plan week to week that will give our guys the best chance to succeed.

I'd say both are important but the OC is more important. By more than just a little too.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Look for Diaco to hire a DC who is bright, a good recruiter and has the ability to teach players Diaco's defensive schemes. The DC will need to understand Diaco's defense, teach it to the players, study the opposing offense and then draw up a plan to stop it.

The OC will need to know how to assess our players and then develop an offensive scheme that fits their talent. He will also need to be able to study opposing defenses and build a game plan week to week that will give our guys the best chance to succeed.

I'd say both are important but the OC is more important. By more than just a little too.

This is pretty much my point. I really think the D will be what Diaco wants....but the OC will have more control to design the offensive scheme. It also needs to be someone strong enough to push Diaco so they don't just become a team that wants the offense to not lose the game for the defense. See Rex Ryan.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan - I normally agree with your posts but 45/45/10 is WAY off. Much closer to 35/35/30. No need to get caught up in the split numbers but Specials make the difference in many games. Think about Field Goals, field position, punt returns, etc. I was a fan of FHCRE but just couldn't believe how he neglected specials. Specials cost us the No Carolina game (remember the blocked punts?) and several other games.

The percentage only becomes 35/35/30 if you have a gigantic difference maker on the returns (a.k.a., Nick Williams), or if you are really bad at it (a.k.a., getting a bunch of punts blocked or bad snaps). So yes, a very good player can always change that stat. And yes, a bad special teams coach can increase the importance of getting a good one...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is pretty much my point. I really think the D will be what Diaco wants....but the OC will have more control to design the offensive scheme. It also needs to be someone strong enough to push Diaco so they don't just become a team that wants the offense to not lose the game for the defense. See Rex Ryan.

Oh, okay. Now I'm following what you're saying. You're essentially saying that since the head coach already has an expertise on the defensive side of the ball, that making the perfect hire on the defensive side of the ball may not be as necessary as making the perfect hire on the offensive side of the ball.

That's my fault on the translation. I would agree with that statement. I thought we were talking more in generalities than specifically what Diaco might be lacking in...

Addendum: Isn't it interesting that Pasqualoni, a defensive guy, made a nice hire in Don Brown but a horrible hire in GDL, and it cost him (and us) dearly. Not to harp on him any more than necessary, but there was a prime example of a defensive guy not getting the offensive guy right, and it showed.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Oh, okay. Now I'm following what you're saying. You're essentially saying that since the head coach already has an expertise on the defensive side of the ball, that making the perfect hire on the defensive side of the ball may not be as necessary as making the perfect hire on the offensive side of the ball.

That's my fault on the translation. I would agree with that statement. I thought we were talking more in generalities than specifically what Diaco might be lacking in...

Addendum: Isn't it interesting that Pasqualoni, a defensive guy, made a nice hire in Don Brown but a horrible hire in GDL, and it cost him (and us) dearly. Not to harp on him any more than necessary, but there was a prime example of a defensive guy not getting the offensive guy right, and it showed.

Exactly.

He would have been better off if his buddy was a defensive guy.

Reaction Score
No offense as it may not apply to you. But I'm so tired of the " exciting offense"nonsense. It's not important. What's important is a potent and effective offense. If we ran every play for 3.4 yards all game that would be fine with me. Know why? Because we score on every possession, and the opponent's O is off the field. I wish folks would understand the game beyond chuck and catch. It's about possession, position and scoring. It's a metaphor for war. If you find ground games boring, you can not possibly appreciate the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom