Z vs her former coach. | The Boneyard

Z vs her former coach.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see Azura play against her former coach at Duke. I remember she was critical of UConn for accepting her as a transfer. Perhaps Z and /or Geno want a little payback?
People need to move on. Duke’s coach has moved on, has done a decent job this year. It is understandable that she was upset at that time. She also stopped throwing her players under the bus. To my opinion, she learned and has become a better person, mellowed down. (Geno has mellowed down over the years as wel!)

Reaction Score
I'm sure that AZ and Geno have had fleeting or longer thoughts about payback!
I'm also sure that AZ is thrilled with her decision to transfer, even being 6th woman. She is growing by leaps and bounds. By the time she graduates after next season she will be scarily good! I predict she will be heads and shoulders above A'ja Wilson at that point of their careers. So I guess it was the right decision for both AZ & Geno. And I am not a believer in the end justifies the means.
Their coach should instead of criticizing Geno, look in the mirror and see what led to AZ first even thinking about and then wanting and choosing to leave there. That might actually be taking responsibility and then putting the time and effort into fixing whatever it was.
We will beat them significantly if not badly, and that will be only part of the payback!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
People need to move on. Duke’s coach has moved on, has done a decent job this year. It is understandable that she was upset at that time. She also stopped throwing her players under the bus. To my opinion, she learned and has become a better person, mellowed down. (Geno has mellowed down over the years as wel!)
I just read this after finishing my post.
I sure hope your right, that she's learned from it, cause that's all any of us can do, learn from our mistakes.
But one can not fully forget or erase what happened previously. Nor should they. It's part of ones life experiences and needs to be incorporated into who we are as we move on! It will be brought back, in this and many circumstances, by events such as playing against your old team and coach.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Let's remember that Geno got the last laugh, 2 ways:
1. As usual, the bon mot: he sarcastically said it must be hard for Joanne P. to recruit good players at so unattractive school as Duke.
2. To paraphrase Geno on D: he's got Z, and Joanne P. doesn't!

Reaction Score
Be assured the media will play up this aspect. I don't see Geno or Z or the team taking the bait. If Joanne P. has any brains, she won't take the bait either.
Sorry to be so nasty, but that grammatical construction in classical Greek is called "a condition contrary to fact."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see Azura play against her former coach at Duke. I remember she was critical of UConn for accepting her as a transfer. Perhaps Z and /or Geno want a little payback?

The high fives and exchange of pleasantries line at game end will be interesting.:)

Reaction Score
I'm sure that AZ and Geno have had fleeting or longer thoughts about payback!
I'm also sure that AZ is thrilled with her decision to transfer, even being 6th woman. She is growing by leaps and bounds. By the time she graduates after next season she will be scarily good! I predict she will be heads and shoulders above A'ja Wilson at that point of their careers. So I guess it was the right decision for both AZ & Geno. And I am not a believer in the end justifies the means.
Their coach should instead of criticizing Geno, look in the mirror and see what led to AZ first even thinking about and then wanting and choosing to leave there. That might actually be taking responsibility and then putting the time and effort into fixing whatever it was.
We will beat them significantly if not badly, and that will be only part of the payback!
Bronx23

Man why is A'ja Wilson ALWAYS the topic of conversation??? You obviously must like her game or you wouldn't be talking about her every chance you get! The topic was obviously about Azura vs Duke, not A'ja!! It remains to be seen who will be better in their careers but please leave A'ja out of any thing that doesn't involve her! Sheesh!

Reaction Score
...By the time she graduates after next season...
Do you know something we don't? Most student athletes graduate after four years of college attendance. I thought she would be graduating this year ...oh wait, are Duke's credits accepted at UConn? :rolleyes:

So, should she decide to stay at UConn and play using her last year of eligibility, I'm in complete agreement with you, "after next season she will be scarily good!" I like it! :eek: :D

Reaction Score
Man why is A'ja Wilson ALWAYS the topic of conversation??? You obviously must like her game or you wouldn't be talking about her every chance you get! The topic was obviously about Azura vs Duke, not A'ja!! It remains to be seen who will be better in their careers but please leave A'ja out of any thing that doesn't involve her! Sheesh!
It would seem as tho’ Bronx23 mentioned A’ja to draw attention to the fact that we lost out on her recruitment , but “inherited” AZ who , in his opinion will prove to be the better player in the long run. Both players are super talents and mentioning them in his posting would not seem to be out of line. Now, as far as you being a bit over sensitive where SC star player, Wilson, is concerned............

Reaction Score
Because she was handed the NPOY before the season even began.
Yes she's an excellent player and will be a very good pro.
Sorry but that's what happens when you're really good - people make comparisons. From my perspective, she's the third best player for NPOY after either KLS and Ionescu. Yes her team would be completely lost without her, but the top player has to show up big against the best (being U Conn) and not have another weak game. She may well have another chance soon.
Sorry you don't appreciate comparisons when your choice doesn't look as good!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
It would seem as tho’ Bronx23 mentioned A’ja to draw attention to the fact that we lost out on her recruitment , but “inherited” AZ who , in his opinion will prove to be the better player in the long run. Both players are super talents and mentioning them in his posting would not seem to be out of line. Now, as far as you being a bit over sensitive where SC star player, Wilson, is concerned..
I truly wasn't thinking any of that, but they are good additional points.
I don't mean to put down Wilson in any way other than she's a bit overhyped.
Guess the next few days and years will tell. And yes, quite sensitive you are!
Bronx23

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Z always wants to play well. But I too believe there will be a little "extra" motivation for her to play well in this game.

I think a double-double in 25 minutes or less, fueling a "decisive" UConn victory would do the trick!! :cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wonder if McCallie will refer to Azura as "#23"...

"Yeah, we had trouble containing #23... blah blah"...
Didn't she say exactly the same thing about KML and Maya?

There must be a pattern there, but for some reason I'm not seeing it.

Reaction Score
Because she was handed the NPOY before the season even began.
Yes she's an excellent player and will be a very good pro.
Sorry but that's what happens when you're really good - people make comparisons. From my perspective, she's the third best player for NPOY after either KLS and Ionescu. Yes her team would be completely lost without her, but the top player has to show up big against the best (being U Conn) and not have another weak game. She may well have another chance soon.
Sorry you don't appreciate comparisons when your choice doesn't look as good!
Bronx23

I respect your perspective. I too think KLS and Ionescu are very talented and are top players in WCBB. But in your original comment A'ja didn't belong. I understand if you think Z is/will be a better player but the initial topic was about Z and her former team not about A'ja.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be a good idea for either Geno or Z to be caught up in such things. They are secondary to the task at hand. The best statement to make is by playing the game the way it should be played and the other things will take care of themselves. Otherwise, a distraction with bad results could well happen.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Sorry to be so nasty, but that grammatical construction in classical Greek is called "a condition contrary to fact."

And all this time I thought that was English. Oh well, I guess it's Greek to me. ;)

Reaction Score
I truly wasn't thinking any of that, but they are good additional points.
I don't mean to put down Wilson in any way other than she's a bit overhyped.
Guess the next few days and years will tell. And yes, quite sensitive you are!
Bronx23
I am sorry but i disagree. Aja has earned her NPOY. It seems that some have always had a problem with her since she chose to stay home instead of come to Stoors. As for Azura she is good but she is nit the player that Aja is or has been so talk of potential is just that. Her defense still has a way to go a d she must continue to work on her athleticism and being more dominant. GENO's words not mine. Aja doesnt have to beat Uconn to be considered the best in the country because her supporting cast has never beem as loaded as KLS who would be more worthy of this argument. She has accomplished all she set out to do and we will just have to agree to disagree here. AZ is good but she needs work to be NPOY candidate. After Aja leaves, Ionsescu and KLS will battle it out in my opinio not AZ

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A’ja is a very good player and deserving of the NPOY award. My three criticisms are: (1) she has limitations, like not being great with the right hand and not having much shooting range, so I think Lou is a better overall player; (2) she gets more calls from the refs than anyone since Skylar; and (3) others anointed her the NPOY at the beginning of the season. I don’t fault A’ja for (2) or (3).

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I suspect Z will have a message for us, on the floor, on Saturday... I look forward to an outstanding performance. Supporting cast, her teammates...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom