Z Scott | The Boneyard

Z Scott

Reaction Score
Fumbled on his first carry against UCF and has not be given much burn since. He has had 13 carries all season including the first one. Only a couple have been between he tackles. He averages 6 yards a pop. If this season is about development shouldn't he tote the rock a bit more? He is a redshirt freshman, so there is no penalty for playing him. Hope to see more of the youngster running the ball in upcoming weeks.

Reaction Score
Mensah’s a sophomore...he needs development as well and if the coaching staff believes he’s the best runner then I trust them

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
They have thrown it to him a bunch. Running him between the tackles seems like a terrible idea.

Having a running back who can’t run the ball seems less than ideal. Especially after you moved him from WR...I’m not cool with coaches screwing with a players development because they couldn’t properly build a roster

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Having a running back who can’t run the ball seems less than ideal. Especially after you moved him from WR...I’m not cool with coaches screwing with a players development because they couldn’t properly build a roster

Not every RB needs to be a between-the-tackles bruiser. Scott definitely has the makings of a good East/West guy who can find angles if given the opportunity. I see some of Arkeel in him; Arkeel couldn't go between the tackles to save his life, and RB was still his best fit positionally. Just because he isn't built for every style of running doesn't mean it was a mistake to put him at the RB position.

Also, I definitely wouldn't call the move "screwing with his development." The WR group was pretty much the only positional group under Diaco that both featured decent recruiting and decent position-specific coaching (Campbell). The same could not be said of the RBs. Keeping a player with Scott's ability in such a crowded group would've lessened his ability to see the field. If anyone wants to frame the move as a reaction to poor roster construction, that seems to me like much more of a Diaco problem than an Edsall problem.

No disrespect Phil, I really enjoy reading your posts and think you bring a great perspective, but this just seems like general anger about the team's poor performance applied to a situation which really shouldn't warrant it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not every RB needs to be a between-the-tackles bruiser. Scott definitely has the makings of a good East/West guy who can find angles if given the opportunity. I see some of Arkeel in him; Arkeel couldn't go between the tackles to save his life, and RB was still his best fit positionally. Just because he isn't built for every style of running doesn't mean it was a mistake to put him at the RB position.

Also, I definitely wouldn't call the move "screwing with his development." The WR group was pretty much the only positional group under Diaco that both featured decent recruiting and decent position-specific coaching (Campbell). The same could not be said of the RBs. Keeping a player with Scott's ability in such a crowded group would've lessened his ability to see the field. If anyone wants to frame the move as a reaction to poor roster construction, that seems to me like much more of a Diaco problem than an Edsall problem.

No disrespect Phil, I really enjoy reading your posts and think you bring a great perspective, but this just seems like general anger about the team's poor performance applied to a situation which really shouldn't warrant it.

I see your side of the argument; there's a great place for the sort of 'scat back' prototype who can catch screens, line up in the slot, and run outside the tackles. My issue is that I'm not sure Scott can do the third thing, and if he can't, why have him play running back? These guys give up a lot to play, most of them with hopes of making the NFL. They shouldn't have to do what isn't best for them from a positional stand point in the name of 'taking one for the team.' We let Hopkins walk and should have brought in a JUCO RB. Z Scott didn't transition to running back because of talent, but because of need. It's quite possible he will develop into a good runner, but shouldn't a guy whose skill is catching passes be put in a position to, well, catch passes? Again, I get the other side. I just think that we need to be VERY careful about changing a guys position to cope with injury loss or scheme issues. Another example is Beavers. Is he a better OLB or DE? If he's a better OLB, that's where he should stay--it's a player autonomy issue for me. These guys put their bodies on the line and should be positioned to further their career at the next level if that's what they aspire to

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I see your side of the argument; there's a great place for the sort of 'scat back' prototype who can catch screens, line up in the slot, and run outside the tackles. My issue is that I'm not sure Scott can do the third thing, and if he can't, why have him play running back? These guys give up a lot to play, most of them with hopes of making the NFL. They shouldn't have to do what isn't best for them from a positional stand point in the name of 'taking one for the team.' We let Hopkins walk and should have brought in a JUCO RB. Z Scott didn't transition to running back because of talent, but because of need. It's quite possible he will develop into a good runner, but shouldn't a guy whose skill is catching passes be put in a position to, well, catch passes? Again, I get the other side. I just think that we need to be VERY careful about changing a guys position to cope with injury loss or scheme issues. Another example is Beavers. Is he a better OLB or DE? If he's a better OLB, that's where he should stay--it's a player autonomy issue for me. These guys put their bodies on the line and should be positioned to further their career at the next level if that's what they aspire to

I think it falls incumbent on the coaching staff (specifically Dunn) to put Scott in the best position to succeed. To that end, they haven't been living up to their end of the bargain. To me, he's looked decent running off to the side in garbage time -- at least enough to make me think he has a shot at replicating that on meaningful downs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Scott made the move during spring ball, when Hopkins was still with the program and O'Reilly was healthy? His quotes here (Scott Makes Move to Running Back - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics) seem to indicate that although not super enthusiastic, he was on board with it. I see that as being quite different from a mid-season reactionary switch à la Beavers; I'm less a fan of that in theory, but hey he did get his first sack of the year last week, so who knows.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think it falls incumbent on the coaching staff (specifically Dunn) to put Scott in the best position to succeed. To that end, they haven't been living up to their end of the bargain. To me, he's looked decent running off to the side in garbage time -- at least enough to make me think he has a shot at replicating that on meaningful downs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Scott made the move during spring ball, when Hopkins was still with the program and O'Reilly was healthy? His quotes here (Scott Makes Move to Running Back - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics) seem to indicate that although not super enthusiastic, he was on board with it. I see that as being quite different from a mid-season reactionary switch à la Beavers; I'm less a fan of that in theory, but hey he did get his first sack of the year last week, so who knows.

You’re right. For some reason I confused him and the walk on Banton, who moved this summer

Reaction Score
I’m not cool with coaches screwing with a players development because they couldn’t properly build a roster
... but shouldn't a guy whose skill is catching passes be put in a position to, well, catch passes?

Not to dog pile on the rabbit but you have become the king of hot takes lately.

He has as many catches as Mayala.

Sounds like Dunn/Edsall are trying to find as many ways as possible to have the ball in his hands whether by handoff, pass or return because of his speed.

Reaction Score
Is Mensah hurt? He's been pretty good running the ball, up until this week. Hopkins leaving was a bigger blow than people thought.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Moving back to WR is the easiest position change on the field if they need to make it at some point in the future. Where they are at running back gets him touches and fills a position of need.

Reaction Score
Nothing agains Kevin. But Scott WON the RB job in camp. He started the first game. One carry. One fumble. And then then nothing. The penalty seemed extreme to me. If he had the skills to win the job, maybe he can help.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is Mensah hurt? He's been pretty good running the ball, up until this week. Hopkins leaving was a bigger blow than people thought.
It seemed like Cincy focused on stopping the run...including Mensah and Pindell. It seemed to work.

Reaction Score
I know giving scott the ball between the tackles isn't ideal right now, but at the very least we have to do it a few times, even if it is guaranteed unsuccessful, to give the opposition something more to think about/prepare for.
Right now, every time (minus garbage time) scott is on the field, it's a pass play. If I know that, the defense does too. Makes us pretty easy to defend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Leaving? Wasn't it more like pushed out?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is early yet, but Scott doesn't look like a between the tackles RB...especially given the very small holes our OL seems to generate. Screens, dump off passes and running outside the tackles looks like a better fit for him. Maybe that will evolve in the snaps ahead. His vision and confidence does seem to be improving.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Scott gets more targets in the pass game and Mensah gets more carries. Cinci seemed to have figured this out too as anytime Mensah was in the game, they loaded up the LOS. My uneducated best guess: the staff must feel that Mensah/Pindell have better chemistry in the read-option than Scott. Seems like whenever Washington comes in to mop out blowouts, Scott is his RB...and that duo already fumbled one away at Syracuse (I think it was Scott but could be mistaken...my apologies if I am!).

Reaction Score
I want to see Scott get more carries. He has a gear Mensah doesn't have. Like our entire team, he is still developing. Needs carries.

Reaction Score
I thought I heard Edsall didn't like his attitude, but regardless we could have used him in the backfield.

If true, I wonder why Edsall thought that.....let’s see. For starters as soon as his run with the 1st team declined as he was getting beat out by O’Reilly and Scott he decided to transfer rather than compete.

If O’Reilly doesn’t get hurt in a non-contact special teams drill we aren’t having this conversation. The record might be no different but you would have 3 capable backs each of which can do some or all of the following: run between the tackles (Mensah and O’Reilly) run outside the tackles and catch passes in the flat and downfield (Scott and O’Reilly).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom