Z dropped from Wooden Watch List? | The Boneyard

Z dropped from Wooden Watch List?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think you could pretty easily whittle that list down to 10 or so actual contenders at this point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't agree with you.
Kia is the most consistent player next to Lou. Kia should be in the list.
We watch every second of every UConn game, and dissect every missed shot or turnover by a Husky player. I suspect that if we watched every second of every game for the other 21 players on the list, we would be fairly comfortable that at least 4 Huskies deserve to be included in the final 25.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I think you could pretty easily whittle that list down to 10 or so actual contenders at this point.

Which would be?

I had trouble narrowing it down to 12, and I let go of some players I really enjoy (Canada). I'm afraid to narrow this down more I'd get rid of the freshman and perhaps Gabby or Pheese (oh my, I hate saying that). Victoria V would be next, maybe.

Here's my 12 pasted from the site + a lil snippet of info why (IMO of course)

Name School Conference Height Class Position

Kalani Brown Baylor Big 12 6-7 Junior Center *really great presence under the net and a terrific big. Do not like Baylor but enjoy this gal. She's really, really, really good (ala Genoese)

Chennedy Carter Texas A&M SEC 5-7 Freshman Guard *last time I've seen a freshman like this might just be Maya Moore. I'm not saying shes gonna be Maya, but fun to watch and a terrific scorer. Her team needs her deep into the tournament. And with a smart coach they will get there.

Napheesa Collier* Connecticut America 6-1 Junior Forward *she's on my bubble here but I really think conference play will do her some good and boost the confidence. I do not need to say here why she should be on this list. She's a panther, she can go in for the kill and you had no idea she was even there. Very savvy around the court.

Asia Durr Louisville ACC 5-10 Junior Guard *amazing range and consistent scorer. I remember watching her out of HS and comparing her to Lou as they went # 1 and 2 IIRC. I enjoy seeing her game develop and am happy for her performance against ND. She will stay on this list for the next cut if she can keep that up (just not against the Huskies in Feb lol)

Sabrina Ionescu Oregon Pac-12 5-11 Sophomore Guard *TRIPLE DOUBLE. Nuff said

Teaira McCowan Mississippi State SEC 6-7 Junior Center *someone with that size and those skills? Hello! No brainer! I'm just as nervous as the rest of Husky nation to run into this giant wall anytime in the turney. No thanks!

Kelsey Mitchell* Ohio State Big Ten 5-8 Senior Guard *she will be AA yet again and will break records. Just a matter of time. Amazing collegiate career, one of only dreams perhaps. Good for her.

Kia Nurse Connecticut American 6-0 Senior Guard *shes worked so hard to be where she is right now and everyone can see it. It's a testament to the developmental skills at Connecticut and of Coach Auriemma. He takes good players and makes them great players. She will have another trophy this year to add to her collection as well as an olimpic medal in the near future. Great work Kia keep it up!

Katie Lou Samuelson* Connecticut American 6-3 Junior Guard/Forward *the hardest working player in women's basketball hands down. Missing games and still leading the team in points. A true grit player that I'm so glad we picked up. She will be AA this year and will give whoever wins this award this year a true run for the money.

Victoria Vivians Mississippi State SEC 6-1 Senior Guard *Shes just so smooth and consistent it makes me sick. I never wanted to like her but I have so much darn respect for this player. She's special.

Gabby Williams Connecticut American 5-11 Senior Forward *ATHLETE of the highest order I don't need to say more (except we want more Gabby! Give us more!)

Aja Wilson * South Carolina SEC 6-5 *this year's National player of the year plus AA plus probably this award. ONLY ON THE STIPULATION that she continues to work hard, keep scoring and rebounds up, and go deep into the tournament. She must dominate like Stewie or D. And she is more than capable. As much as I love Lou, I think this award is Aja's to lose.

Reaction Score
Which would be?

I had trouble narrowing it down to 12, and I let go of some players I really enjoy (Canada). I'm afraid to narrow this down more I'd get rid of the freshman and perhaps Gabby or Pheese (oh my, I hate saying that). Victoria V would be next, maybe.

Here's my 12 pasted from the site + a lil snippet of info why (IMO of course)

Name School Conference Height Class Position

Kalani Brown Baylor Big 12 6-7 Junior Center *really great presence under the net and a terrific big. Do not like Baylor but enjoy this gal. She's really, really, really good (ala Genoese)

Chennedy Carter Texas A&M SEC 5-7 Freshman Guard *last time I've seen a freshman like this might just be Maya Moore. I'm not saying shes gonna be Maya, but fun to watch and a terrific scorer. Her team needs her deep into the tournament. And with a smart coach they will get there.

Napheesa Collier* Connecticut America 6-1 Junior Forward *she's on my bubble here but I really think conference play will do her some good and boost the confidence. I do not need to say here why she should be on this list. She's a panther, she can go in for the kill and you had no idea she was even there. Very savvy around the court.

Asia Durr Louisville ACC 5-10 Junior Guard *amazing range and consistent scorer. I remember watching her out of HS and comparing her to Lou as they went # 1 and 2 IIRC. I enjoy seeing her game develop and am happy for her performance against ND. She will stay on this list for the next cut if she can keep that up (just not against the Huskies in Feb lol)

Sabrina Ionescu Oregon Pac-12 5-11 Sophomore Guard *TRIPLE DOUBLE. Nuff said

Teaira McCowan Mississippi State SEC 6-7 Junior Center *someone with that size and those skills? Hello! No brainer! I'm just as nervous as the rest of Husky nation to run into this giant wall anytime in the turney. No thanks!

Kelsey Mitchell* Ohio State Big Ten 5-8 Senior Guard *she will be AA yet again and will break records. Just a matter of time. Amazing collegiate career, one of only dreams perhaps. Good for her.

Kia Nurse Connecticut American 6-0 Senior Guard *shes worked so hard to be where she is right now and everyone can see it. It's a testament to the developmental skills at Connecticut and of Coach Auriemma. He takes good players and makes them great players. She will have another trophy this year to add to her collection as well as an olimpic medal in the near future. Great work Kia keep it up!

Katie Lou Samuelson* Connecticut American 6-3 Junior Guard/Forward *the hardest working player in women's basketball hands down. Missing games and still leading the team in points. A true grit player that I'm so glad we picked up. She will be AA this year and will give whoever wins this award this year a true run for the money.

Victoria Vivians Mississippi State SEC 6-1 Senior Guard *Shes just so smooth and consistent it makes me sick. I never wanted to like her but I have so much darn respect for this player. She's special.

Gabby Williams Connecticut American 5-11 Senior Forward *ATHLETE of the highest order I don't need to say more (except we want more Gabby! Give us more!)

Aja Wilson * South Carolina SEC 6-5 *this year's National player of the year plus AA plus probably this award. ONLY ON THE STIPULATION that she continues to work hard, keep scoring and rebounds up, and go deep into the tournament. She must dominate like Stewie or D. And she is more than capable. As much as I love Lou, I think this award is Aja's to lose.
That will be my list too ....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Earlier today, I had drafted a thread for the 8 players I thought deserved "real" consideration and when I was editing it, I inadvertently deleted the "Pulitzer prize" winning article.
So now that the list has been trimed down, as my fine college nwhoopfan says, we can and should whittle this down some more.
The real contenders (as of Jan 18):
1. A'ja Wilson-SC: who was the preseason favorite for this award and regardless of the final tally, will be the #1 pick of the WNBA. To me, she's be good but not great, add in the less than top notch supporting cast and her propensity to foul unnecessarily and scowl far too much, I think she's in the conversation, but not leading. Her games against UConn, MSU and Tenn rematch will determine this for her.
2. Kelsey Mitchell-OSU: I have to admit, I am slowly, ever so slowly, coming around on her. I have seen enough games this that yes, she's still a chucker from the old-adage "give me the ball and don't worry" but that is what McGuff preaches so who are we to argue. Add in the fact she did an about face on USA basketball and went to the camp and did very well has me nodding my head. That said, her team still is only a top 16, I am not sure if she truly makes anyone better but she is a 1st AA at this point. I think she's on the outside (just on the the outside) of this discussion.
3. Asia Durr-Louisville: This year she has announced herself with authority. Despite being #2 in KLS class coming out of HS, she hadn't really distinguished herself as elite until now. What has me most impressed what her teammates and in particular Hines-Allen think of her and how they speak glowingly of her. How she handles Kia and UConn as well as the ACC Tourney, will be the deciding factor for her
4. Teira McCowan-MSU: Boy did we get to see her coming out party last year and she has continued that trend this year. Her stock has risen dramatically and how she handles Russell (Tenn) and Wilson will determine if she's for real or just beating up on cupcakes and pip-squeaks.
5. Kalani Brown-Baylor: I thought she was a bit short-changed last year given the year she had and this year she has continued with the double doubles. Yes, I know Kim has a terrible OOC and Kalani's stats are a tad suspect, but honestly, who doesn't think she can play? How she handles Texas and their group of size will be interesting and will determine some of her fate. I do think there is a tad of disrespect towards Baylor due to their location for the media as well as Kim's scheduling and personality.
6. Sabrina Ionescu-Oregon: above I mention double/double so here I have to mention the triple double machine (as opposed to the triple Lindy:D). Sabrina is clearly the PAC-12 POY at this point of the season and her team is doing very well. Due to her being a sophomore, I just don't think she looks as dominant vs. the other candidates for the voters to put her top with two years left.
7. KLS-UConn: to me, I think the team plays better with her on the court and leading the way. She has broadened who already strong skills set to include more of everything-mid-range, drives to the basket, rebounding, defensive length, assists, toughness and now the intangible-leadership. Have you noticed Geno doesn't take digs at her any more? To me, her games against SC and Lou will determine if she wins. She is on the short list of real contenders for me.
8. Gabby-UConn: Gabby is without a doubt, the heart and soul of this team. She has made more with less shooting skills through her athleticism than anyone else. She does everything but score regularly. She's an undersized post player who handles the ball well, sees the court with great vision, rebounds, plays superb defense, gets assists and makes her team mates better. However, I think due to her offensive concerns with the mid-range jumper and the fact she has lock down defense, she's more than likely to win DPOY than the Wooden.
9. Kia-UConn: I have always respected Kia for her ability to do whatever little things are needed to win games. Be it scoring, assists, a lockdown defender, rebounds or diving for loose balls-she does it. Does this resonate with voters, sadly no. Do we love her-ABSOLUTELY! She should be a first round WNBA pick and I think could win ROY award in the WNBA as she will be a great floor leader. That said, I don't see the voters picking her. I do think she has a real shot at one of the 10 AA's.
10. Pheesa-UConn: At this point, she's on here due to what she did last year. We have seen glimpses but I think Z has taken away some of her territory down low. She needs to step it up big time to really be considered. I am not doubting her as we have seen it before. I just think there is too many players even on her own team that overshadow her this year.

To be honest, no one else on the list really gets me excited. Let me know your thoughts.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Which would be?

I said "about" 10 without having actually constructed my list. I like your list. My really short list would be:

Kalani Brown
Asia Durr
Sabrina Ionescu
Teaira McCowan
Katie Lou Samuelson
Aja Wilson

I'm on the fence about Kelsey Mitchell. If the eventual winner doesn't come from the list of 6 I have above, I'll be fairly shocked. It will take someone having a really, really strong 2nd half of the season to jump into the mix. The other UConn players on the midseason watch list are all really good players of course, but I just don't think they're legitimately in a position to win the award unless something changes significantly. No shame in that, I eliminated a bunch of other good players from other teams as well.

Not sure that I entirely agree w/ the 25 selected for the midseason list. Nared's shooting is atrocious (.390 overall, .279 from 3), she can't be a legit contender in my mind. W/ Anigwe and Billings on the list, I think Oregon's Hebard is their equal and deserving to still be a candidate. Seems like Baylor's Cox is having a fairly stellar year. Not sure who else I'd eliminate though.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What the heck is going on w/ Wilson's first name? I typed it correctly but it appears totally different when I posted. Same thing with the post above mine. Weird.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
What the heck is going on w/ Wilson's first name? I typed it correctly but it appears totally different when I posted. Same thing with the post above mine. Weird.

I've discovered you have to type it without the apostrophe as to not have it auto corrected (which is wierd bc it corrects it AFTER you post it)

Reaction Score
I've discovered you have to type it without the apostrophe as to not have it auto corrected (which is wierd bc it corrects it AFTER you post it)
Are you sure it's not the board? I've noticed certain words that appear fine when you post suddenly change to something different when viewing it on here. I think it's the board.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Thanks, that worked. How in the world is "A'Adams" what it auto corrects to? As if that's an actual name or word...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom