YPSOS Young People Sing Old Songs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

YPSOS Young People Sing Old Songs

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how old Sam Haug is, but he arranged the song 'A Day In The Life' from The Beatles into an orchestral piece with choir. This is the result. A song The Beatles never performed live. This comment from YouTube: "Another old guy - curious to see how a group of young musicians could present not only a very difficult composition, but to recreate the sound from an immensely complex recording process that tore open the imagination of millions of young people at that time." I myself am heartened by the joy and enthusiasm for this music that was written berfore they were born.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Be My Baby" is a song written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phil Spector. It was recorded on July 5, 1963 by American girl group the Ronettes and released as a single in August 1963. ( That's 57 years ago!) It is considered one of the best songs of the 1960s. In 2004, the song was ranked 22 by Rolling Stone in its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Hope you enjoy this updated version.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I can't believe this song is 52 years old! The "Foxes" were still in their teens when this truly great CSN cover was recorded.

Reaction Score
Here is a fun version of Peggy Lee’s song “It’s A Good Day”, which she recorded in 1947. I’m not sure when this was posted to YouTube but comments go back 11 years. The Belleville Outfit is fronted by Phoebe Hunt. This is one of my favorite “feel good” songs. Enjoy!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here is a fun version of Peggy Lee’s song “It’s A Good Day”, which she recorded in 1947. I’m not sure when this was posted to YouTube but comments go back 11 years. The Belleville Outfit is fronted by Phoebe Hunt. This is one of my favorite “feel good” songs. Enjoy!
Speaking of Peggy Lee, here is a nice cover of her 1958 signature song, FEVER. Josh Turner is exceptionally talented on the guitar. He must be a reincarnation of an old musical soul.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Now this is a very old song. Originally written in 1916, one of the earliest recordings was by The Weavers in 1950. I first heard it in 1958 on a Kingston Trio album. But the Beach Boys had a big hit in 1966. These guys sing the Beach Boys version, do a pretty good job. Are these guys really young, or am I really old, or both?

Just what is Napoleon Dynamite doing in there?

Reaction Score
Here is a local musician's take on Jerry Lee Lewis's "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' on."

Josh is in his mid 20's I do believe. He has been doing this kind of thing since he was 15 and is currently working at least part time on his music in Nashville.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here is a local musician's take on Jerry Lee Lewis's "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' on."

Josh is in his mid 20's I do believe. He has been doing this kind of thing since he was 15 and is currently working at least part time on his music in Nashville.
This kid is amazing, not only because he is young, singing a song from the fifties. But also because he is not from USA, and English is not his native language. This is from the German version of The Voice for Kids.

Reaction Score
Another great example of young people singing songs of the sixties. This song was written in 1957, but was a number 3 hit for the Shirelles in 1961. The Mamas and Papas released a slightly more popular version of the song in 1967, rising to #2 on the charts, a big hit when I was in college. The group is aptly called Foxes and Fossils, but actually fathers and daughters. Hope you enjoy this version as much as I do.

This group is fantastic. If you haven't listen to their cover of Suite Judy Blue Eyes

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The beautiful song "La Vie En Rose" was first recorded in 1945 by Edith Piaf. Here, 16 year old Lucy Thomas performs her version. She sounds and looks like an angel.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jasmine Thompson has a ton of cover tunes posted on You Tube. She's been doing it for years. She's 19 now. Most of her covers are fairly recent songs but this is a Chaka Kahn song from 1983, 17 years before Thompson was born. It's hard to tell when this was recorded exactly but it was posted in 2015.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

The Louisville Leopards performing Kashmir

That is da bomb! Definitely the coolest thing I’ve seen in ages. One thing I want to do when I retire is make a marimba. That one on the right has me drooling.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
A 1931 classic sung by 20 year old Chase Truran (also a member of Foxes and Fossils).

Reaction Score
Here’s an odd one. There’s a group from Spain called the Electic Celtic Band. Here they are singing Paddy’s Lamentation, which is essentially the story of my great-grandfather. Leave Ireland because of the famine, arrive in New York, have a musket thrust in your hands, be told to “fight for Lincoln,” join the Irish Brigade, and fight dreadful battles for the next four years.

i don’t know how old the lead singer is, but she looks about 16.

Reaction Score
Here’s an odd one. There’s a group from Spain called the Electic Celtic Band. Here they are singing Paddy’s Lamentation, which is essentially the story of my great-grandfather. Leave Ireland because of the famine, arrive in New York, have a musket thrust in your hands, be told to “fight for Lincoln,” join the Irish Brigade, and fight dreadful battles for the next four years.

i don’t know how old the lead singer is, but she looks about 16.

That's Eclectic, not Electic.

Reaction Score
Now this is a very old song. Originally written in 1916, one of the earliest recordings was by The Weavers in 1950. I first heard it in 1958 on a Kingston Trio album. But the Beach Boys had a big hit in 1966. These guys sing the Beach Boys version, do a pretty good job. Are these guys really young, or am I really old, or both?

Way to go, guys!!!! Excellent! And great lesser Beach Boys song!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Here is one that was originally released by R&B singer Little Willie John in 1956, but didn't become a hit until Peggy Lee released her version in 1958. This version is done by Evah Fevah who I believe was 12 at the time she sang it. Sina is playing the drums and bass. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Reaction Score
One of my favorites is to find young people performing old songs on You Tube. These categories are arbitrary, but for me, anyone under 25 singing songs from before 1965 fills the bill. That's about 40 years before they were born, and 60 years before they performed the song. I know some people only like the original version of a song, but I like new arrangements of the old songs. Most impressive to me is that young people can appreciate the music that us "old folks" grew up with. I have found a lot of impressive renditions that fit this category that I would like to share. Let me know if you like them, and if you have any of your own to contribute. I hope you aren't tired of these musical threads.

Lovely!! Thanks so much!!!

Reaction Score
There’s no singing in this one; it’s a set of three traditional reels. The band was from Vermont and consisted of three or four high schoolers (and their music teacher). I saw them around the tim this album was made.

Always great to hear Irish Trad!!

Reaction Score
Since a video of the School Of Rock (I saw that a few months ago and really liked it) was posted I'm going to go ahead with this one.
From 2015, 3 sisters from Monterrey, Mexico that play hard rock. They call their band "The Warning"
Here the oldest sister on guitar, Daniela was 14, Paulina on drums was 12, and Alejandra on bass was 9.
This video was originally put up so their relatives could see them play and it really put them on the map, they were not expecting anything like the interest it generated.

Since 2015, as an independent band, they have produced an EP, and two albums (CDs and vinyl!) of original music. Their second album was a concept album (from teenagers!). Their live shows are really, really good... a LOT of talent and hard work on display.
This spring they were signed with a major record label, Lava Records, and are currently in the studio recording their 3rd album.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom